PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Weapon Progression in Kunark?

Chodan
08-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Hey yall. Just wanted to see what the warrior weapon progression is in Kunark.

I know for classic it goes something like...

Anything til 16.

Then Obsidian Shards.

Then Gnoll Hides.

Then Yaks?

What does it look like in Kunark? I just remember warriors using Lammies.

Harrison
08-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Depending on how nerfs and whatnot go, you might go Lamentation/Wurmslayer combo.

I remember that being ridiculous until it was nerfed.

Reiker
08-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Veridix's Shortsword, Veldrak's Shortblade, Mosscovered Twig, Blade of the Black Dragon Eye, Blade of Strategy.

Wenai
08-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Veridix's Shortsword, Veldrak's Shortblade, Mosscovered Twig, Blade of the Black Dragon Eye, Blade of Strategy.
Agreed. Easier to attain: Blood Point.. imo was underrated. :p Saw tons of warriors rocking 2x Lammy .. never saw many using bloodpoints.

randomer
08-14-2010, 02:17 PM
tons of decent weapons in kunark,i remember using a jade mace and lammy early on and didnt have an issues with aggro from what i remember, but will warriors have aggro issues on this server with non-procing weapons of kunark ? :(

Chodan
08-14-2010, 02:19 PM
tons of decent weapons in kunark,i remember using a jade mace and lammy early on and didnt have an issues with aggro from what i remember, but will warriors have aggro issues on this server with non-procing weapons of kunark ? :(

See, that's what I'm worried about too. I don't remember the warriors in my pug kc/seb groups using proc weapons but they were holding aggro just fine.

But warriors on this server/era, can't hold aggro unless they have proc weapons.

Reiker
08-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Even using "lowly" aggro weapons like Jade Mace / Lamentation / Blood Point, you really shouldn't have a problem unless you have an overnuker or rogue/monk who's bad with evade/FD. Using the weapons I listed above (or Yak, or Efreeti Standard) will just help save the overnukers/monks with tstaffs/etc.

randomer
08-14-2010, 02:28 PM
yea not good at all meaning most of the best weapons being useless for a warrior wanting to hold aggro, jade mace,lammy etc, maybe the low dly of these weapons will help with aggro ? we can only hope!

Chodan
08-14-2010, 02:35 PM

I just looked at your list...I remember the Black Dragon Eye Blade dropping on our way to Trak...but that was the only time I ever saw it. Went to the MT right away.

The shortswords are VP drops iirc, don't remember where twig comes from and the last one is warrior epic?

Jeezus man, your list is like a warrior's wet dream.

nalkin
08-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Gonna need 2 rebreathers for the warrior epic... just letting yuns know ahead of time.

Dantes
08-14-2010, 03:14 PM
There's a patch that allows Warriors to taunt mobs who are higher level, came out shortly after Kunark's release. Somebody quoted the patch notes in a different thread. This is what allowed us to keep aggro, regardless of proc. I rocked a blood point in my main hand and some non-proc 1H slasher from Kael in offhand. No problem keeping aggro. I didn't have the time or dedication to get the Warrior epic back then and I probably still won't this time around.

Those short swords and dragon eye blades rock! *drool*

davedeck42
08-14-2010, 04:09 PM
jade mace and the spear from karnors were great until i could get lammy and eventually epics.

Reiker
08-14-2010, 05:36 PM
I just looked at your list...I remember the Black Dragon Eye Blade dropping on our way to Trak...but that was the only time I ever saw it. Went to the MT right away.

The shortswords are VP drops iirc, don't remember where twig comes from and the last one is warrior epic?

Jeezus man, your list is like a warrior's wet dream.

Someone asked what the best aggro weapons in Kunark were and I answered.

Shortsword/blade - Raid
Epic - Raid
BotBDE - Groupable / Buyable
Blood Point - Groupable / Buyable
Jade Mace - Groupable / Buyable
Lammy - Groupable / Buyable
Mosscovered Twig - Soloable / Buyable

Wide range of options, don't see the problem.

There's also a few "Yak 2.0" weapons in Kunark like Ringed Mace of the Ykesha (Karnor's, gets removed like BotBDE), Scimitar of the Ykesha (Rogue epic), Throneblade of the Ykesha (CoM), Ykeshan War Club (Crypt)...

Dantes
09-20-2010, 04:20 PM
BUMP! What about 2 handers?

fuji
09-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Agreed. Easier to attain: Blood Point.. imo was underrated. :p Saw tons of warriors rocking 2x Lammy .. never saw many using bloodpoints.

I think too many wars were worried about not able to train as high in piercing compared to 1hs and 1hb. I think piercing for wars capped at 240 at lvl 60 and 255 for 1hs and 1hb, I could be wrong.

hedbonker
09-20-2010, 06:20 PM
As a war in classic live around velious I used to solo BnB in SolB with a fungi and bloodpoints....

nickyboy1981
09-20-2010, 06:50 PM
i used a jade mace and sword breaker for a while and held agro fine, loved the ac on sb and dmg/delay wasnt to bad iirc 9/20 or summat.

LizardNecro
09-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Wurmslayer was a pretty standard warrior progression weapon back in the day, as I recall.

azeth
09-20-2010, 07:57 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/23kzn94.png

wurmslayer with 41% haste is pretty tolerable

fuji
09-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Wurmslayer was a pretty standard warrior progression weapon back in the day, as I recall.

Agree. I used it on my alt up until 50, great off hand.

Ponden
09-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Wurmslayer is kind've bad. How did you use it as offhand, its primary?

Troy
09-20-2010, 11:00 PM
It worked in either hand when it first came out, was later nerfed to primary only. Much the opposite of the Moss-covered Twig.

Ponden
09-20-2010, 11:06 PM
Its still pretty bad though =/

Harrison
09-20-2010, 11:28 PM
No, as an offhand it was pretty damned amazing.

Moss covered twig in primary and then a wurmslayer in offhand = rape.

Ridic
09-21-2010, 01:11 AM
Sarnak Warhammer is one of the best aggro gens, for a warrior. Kinda tough to get tho.

Noselacri
09-21-2010, 01:26 AM
The thing about using non-proc weapons is that you'll only hold aggro from people who don't out-damage you. Aggro dump abilities here are notoriously shitty, and while that can change between now and Kunark, it might not, making things even worse. I suspect that a lot of you either were tanking for peoplpe who didn't really out-DPS you, or forget the fact that back then it was customary to let the warrior beat on the mob alone for 5-10 seconds before everyone else engaged, something that nobody does here. With rogue epic being nearly soloable and generally so easy that every rogue will have it within the first month, and people knowing how to play better as a whole, I do not expect warriors to be able to tank just fine with wurmies, lammies and jade maces.

As for weapon progression, mine has/will look something like this:

1-10: whatever

10-16: Polished Granite Tomahawk in main (lets you solo from 10 to 20 if you want to)

16+: 2 Obsidian Shards, keep PGT handy until 20ish

37+: 2 SSoY

Kunark: stick with SSoY until I get the next generation of aggro procs. I'm not gonna use a lammy, they generate significantly less aggro than yaks. Aiming for Sarnak Warhammer and Silken Whip of Ensnaring until epics; the latter has -5 AC, but if you're not tanking anything that requires better weapons, that tiny penalty won't kill you either. The snare proc is both excellent agro and nice utility.

Note on Gnoll Hide Lariat: these suck. It's a pet weapon. The ratio is pretty much like a rusty weapon, and since you will sometimes get screwed on procs and not get any for 30 seconds at a time, you'll want weapons that also have a reasonable ratio. Obsidian Shards are better in pretty much every way; far better ratio, similar proc, procs at lower level. Lariats make no sense; by the time they proc (lvl 25) a 3/20 weapon is unacceptable.

Dantes
09-21-2010, 12:36 PM
I used the Wurmslayer offhand with a spear from Karnor's in my main for a while. I forget what the spear was, but it looked like a tri-fork. The two weapons together looked kind of ridiculous. Later on I ended up with a Defiance in mainhand after Velious and Bloodpoint offhand.

The idea of having to train 1H blunt now bothers me. But the great 1H slashers are all so rare and hard to get.

HeallunRumblebelly
09-21-2010, 12:59 PM
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=745

That's the spear you're talking about? I must say i'm more of a blood point man, as far as cheap weapons go D=

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=739

Just gotta get past the whole vanity aspect ^_^ 80 lifetap though!

Dantes
09-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Yes, that's the one. It dropped while I was in an experience camp, so I got it. I paid for my bloodpoint later when I had the available funds. I honestly wouldn't mind dual-wielding bloodpoints and proc 80dmg lifetaps like mad. The only problem is it's a relatively low aggro proc, but better than no proc at all.

Had a Sarnak Skullsplitter for a while too... more considerations for the low-budget Warrior
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=331

Seeatee
01-07-2011, 08:25 PM
sorry for such a necro post but was searching for something and this caught my eye.

I played a warrior for the first 5 or 6 years I played EQ, and my favorite weapon to come out of Kunark besides BoTBDE and epics was

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=571

I always held agro like a champ with it, yea a warrior going with a 2 hander is a bit unorthodox but its got a pretty sweet ratio and a nice agro proc.

Crone
01-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Wasn't it much later that 2 handers became the norm? The proc per minute was the same, but because you swung so much slower with a 2 hander, it seemed like every swing was a proc. Was sweet. :)

karsten
01-07-2011, 10:58 PM
umm, everyone knows that real warriors rock an executioners axe?

Motec
11-27-2011, 06:02 AM
Veridix's Shortsword, Veldrak's Shortblade

Congrats Chowda!