PDA

View Full Version : new to game

stumpi
03-27-2014, 12:03 PM
hi

i have decided to give project 1999 a go since watching some youtube stuff etc. seems like a great crack

im torn between rolling a shaman druid or mage looking to solo not too gear dependant etc. any advice

looking forward to playing

Leeyuuduu
03-27-2014, 12:16 PM
New to game as in new to EQ??
Mage is not very gear dependent at all but they are not the best soloers because if your pet does most of the damage it takes like 50% of the xp (I think)

If all you plan to do is solo, then druid would be good. Shaman is good if you want to both solo and group, though shaman can be a bit painful at lower levels if you're new.

wdavid78
03-27-2014, 12:17 PM
Druids are always good "first characters". You don't see many mages around. That's for sure.

lecompte
03-27-2014, 12:21 PM
Shaman, druid, wizard, mage all good choices for patient style places. Shaman and mage offer more grouping options though.

Welcome to the server!

stumpi
03-27-2014, 12:25 PM
played briefly on live but only for like a year maybe so memory of game is very foggy.

think so far would like to do some grouping and be able to solo where possible. i played a bard on live for the time i was there.

but yeah be good to have a char to get me off the ground kinda thing

stumpi
03-27-2014, 12:49 PM
well decided to stick to what i know for now roll a bard and see how it goes! loving the game though good fun

i played in around 2000 for a year ish

sanforce
03-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Shaman = great solo, great group, buff bitch on raids.

Druid = great solo, terrible in groups, money making machine, worthless on raids. Good choice for a first character, but I would use that money making ability to gear an alt.

Mage = decent solo (can solo easily, but pet can take a bunch of exp), decent in groups, useful but boring role on raids (coth).

BarackObooma
03-27-2014, 04:13 PM
(Note: when I mention spell prices, I'm talking the dropped spells levels 51-60).

Shaman = great soloers and in groups and buff bitch on raids like Sanforce stated. Can be frustrating until you get Cannibalize or your first pet. You'll want a Fungi tunic (100k), Torpor (120k) and a jaundiced bone bracer 30-40k). Those three items alone are 1/4 million plat! Shaman spells are ridiculously overpriced. Epic is one of the easiest and it's very useful (mana free dot ftw). You can even have the whole thing MQed for about 40-60k (you do have to max out your faction with Truespirit though on your own).

Druid = good soloers, bad to ok in groups depending on level and what they're doing, not very good on raids. Epic is currently hard to get because Venril Sathir has been on lockdown by TMO/competitive guilds forever. Now that there is rotation, some of the other guilds are getting a chance but epic parts will go to people who have been waiting 2-3 years. Once the epic quest is revamped it'll be easier. When Velious hits, the competitive guilds will become too distracted to make VS their primary target. At 29 when you get group WC port and 39 when you get DL port, you will make a lot of money porting. I'd recommend making one, getting it to 29 and then fund the rest of your twinks needs with it. Spells are mostly really cheap and there are no expensive gear needs like a Shaman. Druids make excellent powerlevelers and can make 2-3k an hour leveling newbies at high levels.

Mage = great solo. Once you do the focus quests, pet stealing experience isn't a problem or if you group with someone, pets don't steal experience as long as someone in the group does any damage). It can be done at level 1. I'd recommend doing the torch quest first as the fire pet is excellent at every level. They just tweaked pet aggro and I'm hearing postive things from the mages about their pet now keeping good aggro. Spells are very cheap except for lvl 55 Call of the Hero (10k) and lvl 56 Muzzle of Mardu (8k). Currently epics are in the same boat as Druids. The Earth staff is the sticking point for most. When hate is revamped, instead of only dropping off of the Hate God Innoruuk, it will drop off a mini boss Magi P'Tasa and male forsaken revenants. Plane of Sky has been farmed so much you can get the crown for under 10k. It was 100k on live. The epic is one of the most useful of any classes.

deadlycupcakez
03-27-2014, 04:35 PM
why does focus quest make pet stealing xp no longer a problem? also i think i saw you in felwithe last night

Sylexis
03-27-2014, 04:41 PM
why does focus quest make pet stealing xp no longer a problem? also i think i saw you in felwithe last night

Reclaim energy on your pet when the mob it's killing is at like 5% health, then nuke it and resummon your pet.

BarackObooma
03-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Reclaim energy on your pet when the mob it's killing is at like 5% health, then nuke it and resummon your pet.

This. If you kill your pet off then finish the mob off, you get 100% of the experience. Reclaiming your pet also gives you almost all of your mana back (depending on your pets health at the time of reclaiming). The downside is it costs you a regeant each time you cast a pet but it's very minimal. Most of the time you use malachite which is like 9 silver (less than 2pp a stack). A stack of bone chips will pay for 100 pets.

This method is very good for powerleveling others too. Have your pet take down the mob until it turns to run, reclaim it, have powerlevelee finish it off for full experience.

deadlycupcakez
03-27-2014, 05:21 PM
oh nice! im a noob too