PDA

View Full Version : EQOA Project Live Stream NOW

skorge
03-29-2014, 11:31 PM
to those that used to play EQOA (Everquest Online Adventures) or are curious about it:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/corsten-the-immortal?utm_campaign=ustre.am&utm_source=ustre.am%2F1bSP7&utm_medium=social&utm_content=20140329185050

Sirken
03-29-2014, 11:47 PM
i was in beta for EQOA!

skorge
03-30-2014, 12:19 AM
haha awesome, the guy stopped streaming, he ran through a LOT of the zones...I just found out about this, showed up on my Facebook - yea I was our server's first level 50 (Hodstock)...I also beta tested it too, lol...it was a GREAT mmorpg (just like the original EQ) that not many people got to experience, mostly because it was on the Playstation 2

anyways i think it's a lot harder to emu, somebody said nobody will ever be able to do it, but this guy is trying

jaybone
03-30-2014, 12:26 AM
haha awesome, the guy stopped streaming, he ran through a LOT of the zones...I just found out about this, showed up on my Facebook - yea I was our server's first level 50 (Hodstock)...I also beta tested it too, lol...it was a GREAT mmorpg (just like the original EQ) that not many people got to experience, mostly because it was on the Playstation 2

anyways i think it's a lot harder to emu, somebody said nobody will ever be able to do it, but this guy is trying

what was your name/guild on hodstock. I also played there.

Breeziyo
03-30-2014, 03:00 AM
Wait

wait

is this a project to make an EQOA emu?

please respond

OH FUCK IT IS YES YES YES YES YES YES

Tongpow
03-30-2014, 04:00 AM
60 necro - castle lightwolf server

game had so much good shit Ogre necros, could go were-lion were-rat..etc

i remember raiding involved like necro patch heals and ogre alchemists feeding the tank lore potions over n over

Khaleesi
03-30-2014, 07:31 AM
Firstly, EQOA was extremely under rated but such an awesome MMO, with features that are sorely missed today. For that alone I would donate substantial money to an EMU effort.

However, I didn't see any evidence from his videos that indicated a working netcode or anything other than him showing old footage while under a PS2 box on PC. In of itself, EQOA will never get full EMU support.

This was discussed by Vedan and other GMs/devs before the servers closed several years ago.

I'll be happy to be wrong though.

a_gnoll_pup
03-30-2014, 07:53 AM
Firstly, EQOA was extremely under rated but such an awesome MMO, with features that are sorely missed today. For that alone I would donate substantial money to an EMU effort.

However, I didn't see any evidence from his videos that indicated a working netcode or anything other than him showing old footage while under a PS2 box on PC. In of itself, EQOA will never get full EMU support.

This was discussed by Vedan and other GMs/devs before the servers closed several years ago.

Pretty sure EQOA uses the same login protocol that EQ1 used in 1999-2002ish - SOE's SISA login.

Could be wrong though. You could modify your router's DNS to login through a PS2 though I am sure.

a_gnoll_pup
03-30-2014, 07:55 AM
Plus, PS2 emulators are pretty far along as it is. I am not convinced EQOA would take that long to recreate - I looked at the protocol years back and it was unencrypted completely.

They even have 1080p support. It'd look VERY nice and be VERY playable with a PS3 controller.

Hollywood
03-30-2014, 08:02 AM
Pretty sure EQOA uses the same login protocol that EQ1 used in 1999-2002ish - SOE's SISA login.

Could be wrong though. You could modify your router's DNS to login through a PS2 though I am sure.

I don't know anything about the SISA login, however EQOA used something called DNAS:

DNAS is a proprietary authentication system created by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. It retrieves information about a user�s hardware and software for authentication, copy protection, account blocking, system, rules, or game management and other purposes.

Originally DNAS was touted as a system to prevent cheating in online games. However, after Socom was completly ripped apart by cheaters, it was clear that DNAS did very little to prevent cheaters in online games. DNAS really serves to prevent software piracy, and the use of modified consoles to play games online. [EDIT from me : as someone whom personally ran EQOA over a PS2 emulator on the PC, I can confirm that DNAS does not protect against 'modified' consoles.]

Sony has the power to ban your Playstation 2's MAC address if they feel you are violating their terms of service. If you receive DNAS error message which you are unable to identify, and cannot connect to any online titles for a period of time, you can contact SCEA Consumer Services at 1-866-466-5333 or 1-800-345-7669 during the hours of 6:00am-7:00pm PST.

Here's something fun for the EQOA veterans. Click on the picture in this link for timeline!

http://eqoa.wordpress.com/2010/10/09/eqoa-timeline/

As for 1080p support, it's not native, it's just upscaled - work is done by the PS2 emulator. Thus if they released it for native use on the PS2, it would still be low resolution.

The PC emulated version is not 'plug and play,' even with good and simple instructions, it takes a while to setup. You need numerous different packages downloaded from obscure and unreliable places, to enable additional features such as gamepad support and USB peripheral masking, network card emulation (which has to be configured by you programming it yourself), the appropriate BIOS versions, memory card modules, etc.etc. If you get past that, you then need a modified .iso file (not straight burn from disc contents) to make work with the emulator, of which is prone to random crashing and errors. Trust me when I say that a working, modfieid .iso copy of EQOA is not easy to find.

If you thought P99 was fickle, heh you aint seen nothing yet.

skorge
03-30-2014, 11:24 AM

He had quite a few working zones up...there were no enemies in them, though...and some of the zones, like PoS, weren't in. He sounds confident in being able to do it.

Khaleesi
03-30-2014, 11:55 AM
He had quite a few working zones up...there were no enemies in them, though...and some of the zones, like PoS, weren't in. He sounds confident in being able to do it.

Packet sniffing and discovery on the client side is impressive, but doable. Turning it into a server for full emulation, different story.

He'll need other people too, yet there's no forums/website or any mention of whether the project has a name, structure, plan, etcetc.

I guess it's 'watch this space...'

Dragr
03-30-2014, 01:38 PM
i was in beta for EQOA!

So was I. Add on modem with dial-up. Was not impressed with all the dumbed down classes. Monks with no FD, Rangers with no track, all the class defining skills were missing. The devs did not like my feedback much.

Faerie
03-30-2014, 01:52 PM
So someone is working on EQOA emuż

Were there pvp servers?

qombi
03-30-2014, 01:55 PM
I tried EQOA near the end of it's life. By the time I got to it, it was far from it's original state. It had jumped the shark like Everquest did after Velious.

Hollywood
03-30-2014, 02:51 PM
So was I. Add on modem with dial-up. Was not impressed with all the dumbed down classes. Monks with no FD, Rangers with no track, all the class defining skills were missing. The devs did not like my feedback much.

I wouldn't say dumbed down, I'd say some more simplistic and some more complex. Also due to the mechanics, the game had its own feel. For example, you could cast while moving, and thus you could do many new things in this type of game, such as pull as a cleric and root mobs during the incoming - line them up for the tank to peel and let the group take them out one by one.

Casters were still pet friendly and a lot of players solod with pets, just like in EQ.

So someone is working on EQOA emuż

Were there pvp servers?

No, you could duel, that was it. People held mini faux or mocked up arena battles, which were quite entertaining and felt 'for the people, by the people.'

I tried EQOA near the end of it's life. By the time I got to it, it was far from it's original state. It had jumped the shark like Everquest did after Velious.

All due respect, I think you are confused. EQOA didn't evolve or change much from it's original launch state - and certainly nothing the likes of EQ going from Velious to Luclin and beyond.

Faerie
03-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Oh that's a shame. Who would play a game without pvp? :S

skorge
03-30-2014, 03:00 PM

It had an awesome in-game community...everybody I know who played it regularly still regard it as one of the best mmorpgs they've played...and it was on the PS2. It wasn't dumbed down; everything was adjusted for a faster pace. Enemies respawned about 3x as fast there for example, and groups consisted of 4 man teams instead of 6. Also, there were no direct heals, there were only HoT heals, so in a way it was more challenging. There was only one expansion and it added a lot of cool additions to the game, making it better.

Breeziyo
03-30-2014, 05:28 PM

The same people who prefer blue over red99.

khanable
03-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Castle Lightwolf - Kijaroh of Neversleep

sup sup

Aborath
03-31-2014, 09:39 AM
Man, I'd play an emulated EQOA in a second.

Surprisingly, I hear a lot of mention of EQOA on P99. Really great game that I played starting at release (quit before the first expansion). I can't remember much at all about the game
in the way of details, but I did have the first lvl 50 enchanter on Diren's Hold. Can't recall the name, heh.

Oh wait, I do remember one thing: certain items hadn't had their graphic implemented yet but were lootable and wearable in-game, so when worn they'd appear to be giant, spinning (yes, animated) question marks. It was just as awesome as it sounds.

Edit: pretty sure the name was Ninikbik.

skorge
03-31-2014, 10:50 AM
Man, I'd play an emulated EQOA in a second.

Surprisingly, I hear a lot of mention of EQOA on P99. Really great game that I played starting at release (quit before the first expansion). I can't remember much at all about the game
in the way of details, but I did have the first lvl 50 enchanter on Diren's Hold. Can't recall the name, heh.

Oh wait, I do remember one thing: certain items hadn't had their graphic implemented yet but were lootable and wearable in-game, so when worn they'd appear to be giant, spinning (yes, animated) question marks. It was just as awesome as it sounds.

Edit: pretty sure the name was Ninikbik.

yea, another cool thing EQOA did was allow any class to wear a robe over your armor...so there was a chest piece & a robe piece...there were only 1 or 2 robes for melees that were in the game and they were so rare that only less than ten were on each server (they got removed too); but it was cool being a shaman rolling around in a dope robe, lol

Hollywood
03-31-2014, 04:19 PM
Also, there were no direct heals, there were only HoT heals, so in a way it was more challenging. There was only one expansion and it added a lot of cool additions to the game, making it better.

This is incorrect. Clerics always had direct heals alongside the HoT and one of their speciality lines(at level twenty when you chose your path) was what we used to call 'stitch' healing. It gave you a near instant cast heal for those split second moments. This was the more popular cleric spell line until later on when higher level pet classes starting camping certain zones where the mobs and bosses did high disease/poison/magic. The other cleric line just happen to be a super high resistance buff(s) and everyone rolled another cleric to accommodate that requirement. You had your adventure cleric/normal groups and you had your raid cleric/obscure groups.

yea, another cool thing EQOA did was allow any class to wear a robe over your armor...so there was a chest piece & a robe piece...there were only 1 or 2 robes for melees that were in the game and they were so rare that only less than ten were on each server (they got removed too); but it was cool being a shaman rolling around in a dope robe, lol

You must be confused with another game. The Ceremonial Vestment a.k.a. "CV" was a limited drop that was wearable by casters and some melee. Shadow Knights had their own robes, one was a low (30s?) level from Orcs at the Deathfist camps, and one was a black high level. Both were taken out before Frontiers launched.

skorge
03-31-2014, 04:34 PM
This is incorrect. Clerics always had direct heals alongside the HoT and one of their speciality lines(at level twenty when you chose your path) was what we used to call 'stitch' healing. It gave you a near instant cast heal for those split second moments. This was the more popular cleric spell line until later on when higher level pet classes starting camping certain zones where the mobs and bosses did high disease/poison/magic. The other cleric line just happen to be a super high resistance buff(s) and everyone rolled another cleric to accommodate that requirement. You had your adventure cleric/normal groups and you had your raid cleric/obscure groups.

You must be confused with another game. The Ceremonial Vestment a.k.a. "CV" was a limited drop that was wearable by casters and some melee. Shadow Knights had their own robes, one was a low (30s?) level from Orcs at the Deathfist camps, and one was a black high level. Both were taken out before Frontiers launched.

Well I never played a cleric and it was 10+ years ago when I last played, lol...I see the stack heals are on a 19 second recast time, so it's WAY different than regular Everquest, which is the point I was trying to make. Link: http://eqoa.wikia.com/wiki/Cleric

CV's (robe) were dropped as a rare item in the game for awhile. It was all/all (link: http://eqoa.wikia.com/wiki/Ceremonial_Vestment). There was another robe that was all/all was WAY more rare than the CV (CV is comparable to the manastones here). I owned one of the very few on Hodstock. My friend gave me one to buy a new Playstation 2 so I could keep playing, because mine messed up. I sold it to a guild mate for $400 cash back in 2002/2003. According to this post it was known as the "spectre" robe although I believe it was called something differently but that might be right, lol. Here's a link showing the write-up somebody did, and it references me and another guy named Dean. Link: https://eqoa.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/first-to-50-same-to-60-hodstock/

Another rare all/all robe was the Spiritmaster robe (same rarity as the CV). It was in the game for 1-2 weeks: Link: https://eqoa.wordpress.com/2010/10/20/sm-robe-phantoms/

Never heard of the SK robes?

Thebeast
03-31-2014, 04:51 PM
Can't wait to see this game release shall be fun!

Hollywood
03-31-2014, 04:53 PM
Well I never played a cleric and it was 10+ years ago when I last played, lol...I see the stack heals are on a 19 second recast time, so it's WAY different than regular Everquest, which is the point I was trying to make. Link: http://eqoa.wikia.com/wiki/Cleric

CV's (robe) were dropped as a rare item in the game for awhile. It was all/all (link: http://eqoa.wikia.com/wiki/Ceremonial_Vestment). There was another robe that was all/all was WAY more rare than the CV (CV is comparable to the manastones here). I owned one of the very few on Hodstock. My friend gave me one to buy a new Playstation 2 so I could keep playing, because mine messed up. I sold it to a guild mate for $400 cash back in 2002/2003. According to this post it was known as the "spectre" robe although I believe it was called something differently but that might be right, lol. Here's a link showing the write-up somebody did, and it references me and another guy named Dean. Link: https://eqoa.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/first-to-50-same-to-60-hodstock/

Another rare all/all robe was the Spiritmaster robe (same rarity as the CV). It was in the game for 1-2 weeks: Link: https://eqoa.wordpress.com/2010/10/20/sm-robe-phantoms/

Never heard of the SK robes?

Yes, Spectre robes, I did mention it just without the name.
SM robe wasn't too rare on CLW server but rare enough - I had a laugh about the timer issue on corpses though.

What was the name of that light blue plate armor that dropped in Permafrost. That stuff was super good for clerics before Frontiers.

skorge
03-31-2014, 04:54 PM
Yes, Spectre robes, I did mention it just without the name.

There was only like 2-3 on each server it was so rare. I sold it for $400 cash to a guild-mate instantly pretty much. I probably could have gotten more by putting it up on eBay. In the article the guy says it was the "rarest item in the game." Most people never even saw one on a character, since there were only a couple on the server and the chances are that person isn't playing, haha.

Hollywood
03-31-2014, 05:08 PM
There was only like 2-3 on each server it was so rare. I sold it for $400 cash to a guild-mate instantly pretty much. I probably could have gotten more by putting it up on eBay. In the article the guy says it was the "rarest item in the game." Most people never even saw one on a character, since there were only a couple on the server and the chances are that person isn't playing, haha.

I meant to respond to your comment about real money, that's no joke. Spectre robes alone fetched $300. What idiots! Did they really think it would last that long? They weren't even good stats.

I'm fairly certain at least five SM dropped on CLW as it was the highest population server for some years, though I cannot remember where I was when it happened. Wasn't that robe from Tomb of Kings?

I wasn't a big fun of the faster paced game play at first, but at the same time it was refreshing and the gamepad controls were done very well. It wasn't as in-depth as FFXI but never the less it worked. And the pace did work well with the mechanics as spoke about earlier, casting while moving, plate wearing battle clerics, fast respawning mobs and such good xp camps in the most obscure out of the way places. People would travel to all kinds of nooks and crannies and setup shop for hours of near constant slam action - mobs that died in twenty seconds and respawned in forty - there was no time to sleep!

It was the first game with a seameless world and speaking of nooks and crannies, the amount of underwater stuff was great too. Adventure and exploration was not just a tagline.

The game could only have been better if they'd had some type of voice communications. When we were able to finally emulate it, it was super fun to play with others and have voice chat. So if this EMU actually works, I am definitely playing it on the PC again!

Tongpow
03-31-2014, 06:17 PM
i remember alot of tanks in Cosa Nostra had a robe on CLW server(grey looking one iirc), only thing i ever farmed forever for was that caster useable giant sword in Sol B that was soloable by Mag/Nec and i had to be coth'd to the camp and stayed for a couple days to get it

the raid dropped spells were cool , i remember having to kill that Chinese dragon in plane of disease for some Nec pet buff spell that turned it from that floating red cloud everyone had into a swirling pile of bones shit was rare as fuck from what i remember Source : Poxathixius (http://youtu.be/7zNPQeqLzxc?t=3m1s)

i quit after frontiers, but way before the servers were shutdown

Mesenkomaha
03-31-2014, 11:05 PM
Incredible. It might sound stupid but I think about EQoA a lot. It was my first MMO and I miss it. I'd do anything just to be able to play again! Anything.... hehehehe

Breeziyo
03-31-2014, 11:20 PM
http://imgur.com/a/WTXJs I uploaded what I could of the old images they put up for download on their facebook back before everything went down. Free imgur accounts only let you put up so many pictures before they start hiding them or something.

Hollywood
04-04-2014, 02:20 PM
This was taken during the last days of Frontiers BETA.
Does anyone remember where SoE published this picture?

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--aEWO27yg--/c_fit,fl_progressive,w_636/17f1isld7kendjpg.jpg

That was my Druid named Rynn.

Champion_Standing
04-04-2014, 05:12 PM
This was taken during the last days of Frontiers BETA.
Does anyone remember where SoE published this picture?

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--aEWO27yg--/c_fit,fl_progressive,w_636/17f1isld7kendjpg.jpg

That was my Druid named Rynn.

Damn you were pretty hot in those days, got anymore pics?

Mesenkomaha
05-15-2014, 11:01 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/Vaspasian/eqoa2014.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/Vaspasian/media/eqoa2014.jpg.html)

Well the EQOA Revival movement does exist. We are past the patching server and working on the login server next. Right now the game does establish a connection with our "server" but does nothing with the data that it is sent (login attempt, create account).

The team needs skilled programmers and network people. We have a very large packet dump from when the game was live so there is some reference to work with at least. Come join us and help us bring EQoA back. PM me if you want to join the team and can help or hell, post your thoughts and comments here!

thugcruncher
05-15-2014, 11:52 PM
im smilin

Zuranthium
05-16-2014, 12:42 AM
I played EQoA beta + on live for just a tiny bit. The idea of an earlier-era Norrath was cool and I liked a couple of the game elements, but overall it felt more empty, less interesting, and less dangerous than EQ. Trying to play on PS2 made communication too difficult as well.

Skittlez
05-16-2014, 01:59 AM
Holy shit I LOVED this game, had a 43 Monk.

Nocsucow
05-16-2014, 02:08 AM
would be so bad ass to get this going tbh ... this EQ had a different feel and was fresh

Millburn
05-16-2014, 02:38 AM
I need this in my life.

mdaro
05-16-2014, 07:38 AM
I still have my discs in the case! I couldn't get rid of them.

SyanideGas
05-16-2014, 08:11 AM
Still have my discs, would play this in a heartbeat.

Khaleesi
05-17-2014, 05:58 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/Vaspasian/eqoa2014.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/Vaspasian/media/eqoa2014.jpg.html)

Well the EQOA Revival movement does exist. We are past the patching server and working on the login server next. Right now the game does establish a connection with our "server" but does nothing with the data that it is sent (login attempt, create account).

The team needs skilled programmers and network people. We have a very large packet dump from when the game was live so there is some reference to work with at least. Come join us and help us bring EQoA back. PM me if you want to join the team and can help or hell, post your thoughts and comments here!

Other than programming what else are you after?

Additionally, does the disc data or having spare discs help?

mdaro
05-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Other than programming what else are you after?

Additionally, does the disc data or having spare discs help?

Yes! Anything us non-programmers can help with? Any basic stuff we can contribute?

Mesenkomaha
05-17-2014, 11:29 PM
Sorry at this point there really isn't much to be gained from looking through things on the discs. We have a handful of people that are in the non-programmer category putzing around with things and are at the point now where we are strictly looking for help from programmers. Spread the word EQoA lovers if you want your game back find us some help!

Khaleesi
05-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Sorry at this point there really isn't much to be gained from looking through things on the discs. We have a handful of people that are in the non-programmer category putzing around with things and are at the point now where we are strictly looking for help from programmers. Spread the word EQoA lovers if you want your game back find us some help!

Where did you get the live dump? How long have you had it?

Mesenkomaha
06-11-2014, 12:24 AM
I want to post a quick update on the EQoA Revival project. We are currently past log in and working on the server selection/world server part of the process.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/Vaspasian/f6521159-2945-43d9-a814-a061dfb4a1c2.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/Vaspasian/media/f6521159-2945-43d9-a814-a061dfb4a1c2.jpg.html)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/Vaspasian/f606e9b9-0880-4278-8d55-4f0972ec7975.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/Vaspasian/media/f606e9b9-0880-4278-8d55-4f0972ec7975.jpg.html)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/Vaspasian/312c6a41-237e-438f-b96b-e59a1cc5f22f.png (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/Vaspasian/media/312c6a41-237e-438f-b96b-e59a1cc5f22f.png.html)

While we are making nice progress, we would still love to find help. Support us in reviving this beautiful classic Everquest experience. If you have any experience in world shards/servers get in contact!

Clark
06-12-2014, 02:45 AM
Never got to try this one.

srgraham69
06-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Is there a website for this project?

Agno
06-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Is there a website for this project?

http://eqoa.forumup.com/index.php?mforum=eqoa

jojober
06-16-2014, 10:45 AM
http://eqoa.forumup.com/index.php?mforum=eqoa

I will just say I tried reading those forums, aaaaand when I clicked on the "Who Were You" forum, it definitely was NOT a forum post that I was linked to. Just a heads up.