PDA

View Full Version : New Player Influx

Lyrith
04-03-2014, 04:19 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only person thinking it... What are your thoughts?

Daldaen
04-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Rerolls post ban?

myriverse
04-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Don't give it a whole lotta thought, tbh.

Lyrith
04-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Rerolls post ban?

What I was personally thinking... Or just people wanting some gear for their alts.

Didn't have my poll up earlier, it had problems. So it is up now.

Scikala
04-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Meh either way, it's been years of Kunark, if RMT re-rollers are masquerading as newbies...no skin off my teeth.

I know the mild absurdity of that comment given my creation date, but made a new forum account to be more in line with my actual character names =P

Anal like that.

Nonamehere
04-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Hopefully I did not spark this thread.

Whirled
04-03-2014, 04:48 PM

I've only got a few months here so I'm kinda new too. Don't feel singled out.

Castigate
04-03-2014, 04:48 PM
It doesn't matter if it's true or not.
If people compromise their own generosity because someone "might" be undeserving, then the noobs suffer just as much, and the community as a whole becomes less welcoming.

Supaskillz
04-03-2014, 05:07 PM
I bet most real rmt'ers rage quit.

I think most new players are actually new or knew about it and have renewed interest bc Of impending velious.

Frankly I don't think new players should expect to be handed a bunch if gear or pp. welcome to classic eq and cloth found on skelies IMO. I do like to help out new players with gear sometimes, but I like to help those who are just trying to do it the real way instead of expecting it or asking for it. The friendly community I like to see fostered is one where people are willing to give advice, group, etc more than one that hands gear to newbies.

Freakish
04-03-2014, 05:10 PM
I'm not going to fret about handing out a mudman enforcer to someone regardless if they're trying to sucker me.

Nonamehere
04-03-2014, 05:14 PM
I agree with Supaskillz in the aspect that new players should not be expecting gear or pp.

How I got my gear is I joined a guild, then some one offered to craft me a whole set of cured. And while I was trying to sell 3 stacks of 'Bone Chips,' some one decided to give me 50pp free of charge. Then I found a Crystalline Orb randomly on the ground in the tunnel of EC.

Only thing I ask for is to join a group :P

Glenzig
04-03-2014, 05:16 PM
I know myself and both of my brothers have signed up within the last 2 weeks. Just trying to recapture that classic eq experience we had back in the day.

Swish
04-03-2014, 05:17 PM
New players can only be a good thing for the server. It's far from overcrowded, and great to see low level zones thriving.

sulpher01
04-03-2014, 05:17 PM

Lyrith
04-03-2014, 05:24 PM

I think most new players are actually new or knew about it and have renewed interest bc Of impending velious.

Frankly I don't think new players should expect to be handed a bunch if gear or pp. welcome to classic eq and cloth found on skelies IMO. I do like to help out new players with gear sometimes, but I like to help those who are just trying to do it the real way instead of expecting it or asking for it. The friendly community I like to see fostered is one where people are willing to give advice, group, etc more than one that hands gear to newbies.

Agree with all of this. I buff people all the time, which is all the help in the world til level 12ish. Then I give gear to usually people in the 20's. There was this little dwarven cleric in unrest the other morning, and he was doing it the right way. Didn't even have a weapon and was using his summoned hammer.

Wish I had more I could have given him, but pulled a couple mobs on the necro and got him his level.

Lyrith
04-03-2014, 05:25 PM

Nonamehere, not at all. I was actually just giving you props for being smart with the auction forums after being new instead of sitting in the tunnel trying to sale a low end item for a long time.

I'm excited to see all these new people and a new community joining. Only a great thing for this server!

Swish
04-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Only thing that is sad to see is level 12s asking for a "90+" rez, given the amount of cleric epics there are floating around.

Barkingturtle
04-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Before we all rush to conclusions let's try and remember: even if these newbs aren't RMT rerolls, that doesn't necessarily preclude them from being scum.

Nonamehere
04-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Ok, I was just wondering. Just wanted to understand more better things and such...

Supaskillz
04-03-2014, 06:16 PM
The rule on making polls on this forum is choices must be either narrow so as to not include most respondents actual feelings or include a joke response that everyone will pick rending the poll useless.

Rararboker
04-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Only thing that is sad to see is level 12s asking for a "90+" rez, given the amount of cleric epics there are floating around.

Lol I laugh so hard when I see this. It is Live syndrome where people get used to a rez after every single death because NPC's can do it.

The time it takes to get a rezz is usually longer than recovering the XP by killing mobs if your lower than lvl 35.

Laledorie
04-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Well there's no real way of knowing whether they are real new players or just rerolled RMTers... I'd rather help them out and give them the benefit of the doubt rather than assume they are scumbags. Treating them all like scum is a good way to avoid getting new players. One of my favorite things about P99 has been the in game community. Let's not kill it for others! =) having said that, send me tells for free ports! =D

baalzy
04-03-2014, 06:29 PM
If you're level 10 or lower and in newbie gear (cloth/leather/starter weapon/bronze weapon) when I'm rolling through a newb zone handing out mid level dungeon trash I'm going to give it to you and not even stop to wonder if you're a rerolling RMTer, true noob, or someones alt.

Eryxian
04-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Obviously, I'm a little biased here, as a new player myself... but I figure that the majority of these new players aren't previous 99'ers.

I know, for me, the reason I'm here is because of the 15 year anniversary in EQ. I DL'd and logged on to live to give it a shot and the game was just... I dunno, too much? Over the top? Complex as hell?

It's hard to place a finger on it exactly, but I just immediately wished that I could just play the game that I had gotten a taste of years ago, not whatever it currently was...

And that's when I remembered this existed. :D

Yonkec
04-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Lol I laugh so hard when I see this. It is Live syndrome where people get used to a rez after every single death because NPC's can do it.

The time it takes to get a rezz is usually longer than recovering the XP by killing mobs if your lower than lvl 35.

Yeah, I probably intentionally poofed 10-15 of my corpses through the 10-30 ranges, clerics who could rez were nothing but a fortunate bonus if they happened along. If you die like 30 times in the teens that is not even a drop in the bucket xp wise come 30+.

coki
04-04-2014, 02:59 AM
I'm not going to fret about handing out a mudman enforcer to someone regardless if they're trying to sucker me.

Kekephee
04-04-2014, 03:23 AM
My nefarious plan to roll and reroll equipmentless characters that only get to level 12 so I could slowly amass a fortune from people giving me enameled black maces and feathered leggings is being compromised by these goddamn RMTers doing the same thing

Smalls
04-04-2014, 03:23 AM
If someone comes along and wants to hand me something out of their own kindness, I'll happily take it and thank them. But I have not and will not ever beg for equipment. After having looked up what RMTing means, I'm actually kind of surprised because doesn't it sort of spoil the fun of this game? Isn't part of the fun actually EARNING your equipment?

That said, I guess I sort of understand why some players might be apt to begging. P99 is a fair bit more difficult than modern MMO's and has a much steeper learning curve and a greater demand of patience and knowledge from the player, and some people simply can't handle it. But how did people originally make it to level 50 when the game first came out? They did it with banded armor and fine steel weapons. That's kinda how it should be.

Pint
04-04-2014, 03:30 AM
Who cares, welcome back to the server

HawkMasterson1999
04-04-2014, 05:00 AM
[QUOTE=Barkingturtle;1397814]Before we all rush to conclusions let's try and remember: even if these newbs aren't RMT rerolls, that doesn't necessarily preclude them from being scum.[/QUOTE

Sad but true... When i started in in 2010 everyone on the server was really great. When I came back from a long break in december the server seemed to be full of lvl 40 and under asshats. I actually got denied a port while on a CR not because the guy was busy but because my naked toon didn't have any money to donate. He said this.

GnashingOfTeeth
04-04-2014, 06:27 AM
Maybe not rerolls, prolly had to get jobs, rent is a bitch YO!

http://media.giphy.com/media/ADgfsbHcS62Jy/giphy.gif

myriverse
04-04-2014, 08:05 AM
RMTers Lament:

Everybody's trying to say I'm wrong
I just wanna be back where I belong

World turning
I gotta get my feet back on the ground
World turning
Everybody's got me down

Maybe I'm wrong but who's to say what's right
I need somebody to help me through the night

Lisset
04-04-2014, 10:56 AM
The wording implies that RMTs aren't friendly which is simply not the case. RMTS players may be lazy but that doesn't mean they are assholes.

Whirled
04-04-2014, 11:06 AM
I don't have 500 platinum pieces in the bank but I still give to others because it just feels like the right thing to do. I do not have BIS type gear & I may never have even 1 BIS item but if I can help someone else to have fun instead of barely scraping along then I have done the right thing regardless of being a previous player or new one.

Example = killed Queen beetle in FoB; then handed the legs to same dude that I gave a Kunzar sword & stun whip too. How people treat each other in this game is similar to how they treat others outside of it.

Nikon
04-04-2014, 11:14 AM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but maybe with the new 'Starting Zone' forum it just appears that there is a larger influx because people are more willing to post introductions since there is a specific place that invites it?

Smalls
04-05-2014, 01:40 AM
Well, interestingly enough, a guy named Uteunayr was killing Lucan earlier and he (or his buddy, not sure whom, was either a necro or a shaman in Bregan D'Aerth) gave me a Cloak of Flames while I was killing skeletons in West FP.

Should I wear this or sell it? Not sure what it's worth or if it makes a good Pally item.

falendar
04-05-2014, 02:32 AM
i abstained from the vote itself, but i can tell you of at least 3 people on her including myself that are brand new. but I have also met some that have fully admitted to being prev banned and playing new chars. I am now 22 and i have been helped by a few people with a ring, a wrist and 2 weapons, and I will be eternally grateful to them for the help and plan on paying it forward once i get some gear and plat. already saved up alot of mesh gear to pass around to new monks in EC, it's not much but it's something.

Lyrith
04-05-2014, 04:19 AM
My nefarious plan to roll and reroll equipmentless characters that only get to level 12 so I could slowly amass a fortune from people giving me enameled black maces and feathered leggings is being compromised by these goddamn RMTers doing the same thing

Best reply I have seen yet imho...

Honestly it gave me a laugh at 3:20AM when I am up doing work.

cyan29
04-05-2014, 07:33 AM
well I just started on this server, been playing POE, got a little bored and happened across this gem.

Tankdan
04-05-2014, 08:26 AM
I think a lot of people like me joined when they saw Velious is in beta

Clark
04-05-2014, 05:21 PM
Don't give it a whole lotta thought, tbh.

radditsu
04-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Rerolls post ban?

wdavid78
04-05-2014, 07:14 PM
My brothers and I (for of us in total) are all new (within a couple weeks or so) to the server. I can confirm that much, anyway :)

Tsunami21k
04-05-2014, 07:37 PM
I am new, been here for about three weeks now. Part of why I finally decided to try p1999 was that I activated my live account to access the free heroic upgrade. Logged into live, saw the current state of the game, hated it, got nostalgic, boom. Hello project 1999.

moklianne
04-06-2014, 12:12 PM
EQMac closed and a couple of guilds opened up on P99. Also, they've been talking about P99 quite a bit more on the live forums. I'm sure a good number are new. Plus, with sony's new content release model (Tier 1/2 of expansion in Fall/Winter, then a new tier each quarter after), many of the hard core peeps on live are bored. Many raid guilds are finishing all worthwhile raids in one or two nights a week now. Also, the reason above is a big reason too. The live game is completely different than the classic game. Its a combination of a bunch of things.

I'm here because of EQMac closing personally, even though I played on p99 a couple of years ago.

Pitter
04-06-2014, 12:15 PM
I heard casual mention of p99 on Reddit, which led me to look for video streaming. The 15th anniversary stirred up interest in EQ in general, and some folks (like me) wanted to re-experience the classic rather than the present incarnation.

Daakkon
04-06-2014, 01:06 PM
I just returned yesterday, first time i've played since 2011. Everyone has been really friendly, finding groups has been a breeze, and I am enjoying the hell out of the game. Oh how i've missed EQ.

cries4hardcore
04-06-2014, 11:19 PM
If someone comes along and wants to hand me something out of their own kindness, I'll happily take it and thank them. But I have not and will not ever beg for equipment. After having looked up what RMTing means, I'm actually kind of surprised because doesn't it sort of spoil the fun of this game? Isn't part of the fun actually EARNING your equipment?

That said, I guess I sort of understand why some players might be apt to begging. P99 is a fair bit more difficult than modern MMO's and has a much steeper learning curve and a greater demand of patience and knowledge from the player, and some people simply can't handle it. But how did people originally make it to level 50 when the game first came out? They did it with banded armor and fine steel weapons. That's kinda how it should be.

You know too much to really be new. Admit that you got banned and are returning.

-Globox-
04-06-2014, 11:29 PM
You know too much to really be new. Admit that you got banned and are returning.

He was exposed by Rogean in another recent thread about Velious.

Masq
04-07-2014, 01:23 AM
i started playing again, character created in 2011.. and i just hit level 45 ;p

Unknown Zombie
04-07-2014, 03:29 AM
I, for one, am definitely new.. I played a Dark Elf rogue from mid-Kunark until late Underfoot.

I recently tried live again because of the heroic promotion, but as any classic player can say, it just doesn't feel the same; It was all downhill staring with Luclin. But now the whole game is so convoluted -- it's just a mess.

I was reminded of seeing an ad somewhere for P99 quite some time back (I completely dismissed it back then because I questioned its legitimacy). But after the recent disappointment from trying live I decided to look into it anyway, and I'm glad I did.

I can't even describe how excited I am to do this again -- do everything.. Losing experience, jamming Sense Heading like there's no tomorrow, corpse runs, losing corpses, Seb groups, Cazic Thule shouting your name, trading in ECommons, a_giant_rat00, aggroing Mraaka on the way to NTov, selling stacks of bone chips to necros in newbie zones.... Everything!

I created a Dark Elf rogue just like the very first time I played almost 14 years ago (though probably spent my points wiser this time around :p), and I am so pumped to do it all again!

My only regret is not looking into it sooner.

And with any luck I can get my wife to play along with me.. :)

Erydan Ouragan
04-07-2014, 03:57 AM
And with any luck I can get my wife to play along with me.. :)

Just do what wives do:

"If you don't want to play, it's fine. No really, i'm not mad, i just thought that you would want to spend time together... You know, as a couple."

If the manipulative guilt trip doesn't work and she goes "well i don't LIKE it!", you get your out-of-jail free card the next time she wants you to watch dancing with the stars or the notebook.

;D

Unknown Zombie
04-07-2014, 04:19 AM
Just do what wives do:

"If you don't want to play, it's fine. No really, i'm not mad, i just thought that you would want to spend time together... You know, as a couple."

If the manipulative guilt trip doesn't work and she goes "well i don't LIKE it!", you get your out-of-jail free card the next time she wants you to watch dancing with the stars or the notebook.

;D

Nah, I don't think it will be that hard to talk her into it. She used to enjoy playing World of Warcraft with me, but we had to quit playing about a year ago because money is tight. :(

planarity
04-07-2014, 05:02 AM

DID YOU GIVE AWAY MY MUDMAN ENFORCER???

-Globox-
04-07-2014, 05:44 AM
I don't miss playing WoW with my ex. So many guilt trips. I finally quit and didn't regret it for a second.

Tzeriel
04-07-2014, 08:54 AM

Banned twice for RMT. Now pretending to be new. Guess we just blacklist you.

moklianne
04-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Sounds like they need to do a server split! whoohoo

Lyrith
04-22-2014, 03:57 PM
I heard casual mention of p99 on Reddit, which led me to look for video streaming. The 15th anniversary stirred up interest in EQ in general, and some folks (like me) wanted to re-experience the classic rather than the present incarnation.

I wish we had a bigger influence on Reddit, I used to Reddit all the time. I haven't checked in a while though.

Lyrith
04-22-2014, 04:00 PM
Nah, I don't think it will be that hard to talk her into it. She used to enjoy playing World of Warcraft with me, but we had to quit playing about a year ago because money is tight. :(

My X loved WoW, but HATED EQ. Either way like some of the other posts, I would much rather keep my gaming to myself with online and RL friends and let my wife/gf/so do her own thing.

My Wife doesn't game at all other than Candy Crush, etc. and I really love it. Gives us our own space and things to do. She can watch real housewives of whatever and talk on her phone to her GF's. I will play my game. =D

Grimfan
04-22-2014, 04:34 PM
My X loved WoW, but HATED EQ. Either way like some of the other posts, I would much rather keep my gaming to myself with online and RL friends and let my wife/gf/so do her own thing.

My Wife doesn't game at all other than Candy Crush, etc. and I really love it. Gives us our own space and things to do. She can watch real housewives of whatever and talk on her phone to her GF's. I will play my game. =D

I really enjoy gaming with my SO. We've been playing a lot of ESO lately and we're both enjoying it quite a lot. I couldn't get her into EverQuest much though.

Rakurai
04-22-2014, 05:59 PM
I for one heard of P99 through a coworker and decided to buy the discs on amazon and give it a go. I played Live from Velious to Gates of Discord and loved it!! After playing playing pretty much every mmo under the sun I heard of this and got into it... canceled my FF14 account a week later and am hooked once again!! Even getting some RL friends into it!

Speaker
04-22-2014, 11:04 PM
SOE is closing down Vanguard in July. You will see more of us former Vanguard players moving over here in search of harder game play.