PDA

View Full Version : How eq looks on my DROID

ShadowWulf
08-16-2010, 03:38 AM
for fun, again. I used the shootMe app to screen cap btw if anybody was wondering.

http://a.imageshack.us/img34/9513/snap20100816003042.png

Qaedain
08-16-2010, 03:41 AM
How's this project going? The FPS was pretty low last time I looked in on it.

ShadowWulf
08-16-2010, 03:50 AM
How's this project going? The FPS was pretty low last time I looked in on it.

Playable at 40fps with the phone clocked up to 1.32GHz.
Oddly even Vanguard STILL runs better, i just tried that one a few days ago.
My goal though is the phones hardware max of 60FPS. I think to get that high im going to have to design a "blank" rom with no system facilities at all outside those neccessary for this kind of gaming. Even then im not sure if 60fps is feasible.

Eternal-Elf
08-16-2010, 06:18 AM
this is going to completely cut the sales of poopsocks.
Who needs a poopsock when you can play ON the toilet on your phone.

Itchybottom
08-16-2010, 06:26 AM
VNC is always going to be slow with EverQuest, the engine itself has too many wait states.

guineapig
08-16-2010, 08:01 AM
this is going to completely cut the sales of poopsocks.
Who needs a poopsock when you can play ON the toilet on your phone.

LOL...

But seriously though:

Laptop for toilet at home.
Droid for when you can't call in sick to McDonalds anymore.

ShadowWulf
08-16-2010, 11:13 AM
VNC is always going to be slow with EverQuest, the engine itself has too many wait states.

It isnt VNC..how many times do I have to go through this?

Go back and search for my last thread, I explain it there.

Itchybottom
08-16-2010, 01:07 PM
QEMU from Darwin ports still has a lot of PPC example code in it, it wouldn't be so difficult to look at some ARM examples (maybe a book or two for reference) and get it working native so you had an x86 environment on your Droid, you could then leverage a full blown x86 environment and use out of the box Wine 3D libraries to get it working native (of course, you'd need to strip Android and get a full blown X.Org server running for this, which I'm not entirely sure your phone has the ability to do -- since a lot of the modem drivers/radio in Android are proprietary to the operator)

I saw in your previous thread something about only being able to get 6 fps at 54mbit, and I can say right now... You're just using the wrong VNC protocol settings, or your wireless router is congested. I have a EVO 4G, and I often times logged in to check on Dunedigger over VPN (which is more bandwidth overhead.) Internet was usually in 3G, and my frames per second were nearly 18 at 1920x1080x32bpp on the host system, scaled down to 800x480x16bpp on my phone. EVDO averages maybe a megabit downstream over one socket consistently, with good signal. Still a slide show, but I could move around while looking at the ground at a reasonable pace for a static spawn like that. Hextile (don't use RAW) and altering driver I/O wait states to match whitepaper available from your video card manufacturer in the source code (I didn't actually read to see if you were using a prepacked VNC like RealVNC, TightVNC, etc etc, I only skimmed) will yield even more performance than I was getting.

Anyway, neat that you've dorked around and got that PDAPhoneHome app working with impressive frame rate. I hope it's not your final solution though! I've never been impressed by anything not Citrix for remote desktop applications. Maybe Radmin in the Windows only world of things, the rest just leaves a lot to be desired.

ShadowWulf
08-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Ultimately, a true X linux system booted natively via the droid is my goal, even though I would have to basically kill any phone functions. The challenges are huge though, needing custom drivers from the display, touch, keyboard, radio to just start, the X system would have to be custom built also.

I debate the use of doing this myself, I would basically have a super tiny hand PC at that point and no longer a phone but it would still be limited in functionality and would see no use outside some very specialized applications either.

For now im working around android itself and making do with what I can do, for gaming the FPS and playability is not bad depending on WHAT is being played. There are several other linux on droid projects floating around being worked on currently and im hoping to see some driver fruit fall from those trees in the near future.