PDA

View Full Version : Scammed by Zebaki in Tunnel

Theexorcist
04-04-2014, 03:48 PM
Was told by people I could trust a mage named Zebaki. Not sure if anyone knows him/her or not, but I am definitely screwed. I have held things for people and always given back and have had people do the same for me, with no issue ever. I gave this person 2 backpacks with over 6k worth of items for my new necro I was starting. I am praying to GOD the GM's will have mercy on me and retrieve the bags and ban this person so they can never do this to anyone again. I appreciate everyone in the tunnel trying to help me out. Please tell me the GM's will have pity on me and get my stuff back, otherwise I am just going to quit :( :(

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
04-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Name of guild? If you didn't use someone with a reputable guild tag...

Argh
04-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Use 60's from reputable guilds for transfers. You'll always see me at the front of the tunnel, and I can help with transfers so long as I'm not afk.

Don't trust random bozos.

Theexorcist
04-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I wish I had done that. Does anyone know Zebaki? And do you think there's a chance the GM's may help me and give me my stuff back?

daasgoot
04-04-2014, 04:03 PM
9. You may not defraud other players.

Fraud is defined as falsely representing one's intentions to make a gain at another's expense. Examples of this activity include, but are not limited to, using deception to deprive another player of items, slandering another player or impersonating them with the intention of causing harm to that player's reputation, or falsely representing one's identity in order to gain access to another player's account or account information.

Fraud in all transactions between players may result in disciplinary action when confirmed by a P99CSR.

This is not permission to not watch out for yourself during interactions with players. Players may still scam or defraud you on Project 1999. It is your responsibility to protect yourself. The player who scammed you may be subject to disciplinary action, but there is no guarantee you will get your items or PP back. It is in your best interest to be wary of other players.

TLDR: you might or might not get your stuff back, he might or might not get in trouble.

Derubael
04-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Petition/Exploit forum.

Nuggie
04-04-2014, 04:07 PM
put in a petition on the forums. not in game.

expect to not get your stuff back. expect that person to get a suspension.

Theexorcist
04-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Will do friend. Doing it now. My character name is Theexorcist by the way

Theexorcist
04-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Just petitioned. Used category Reimbursement because I was not sure where it would fit.

Theexorcist
04-04-2014, 04:12 PM
Ty for your post Dasgoot

Numbers_
04-04-2014, 04:27 PM
It always amazes me how trusting other people are in this game. I've had people hand me thousands of plat worth of stuff and I'm a random (to them) unguilded mid level character. You could honestly give me a fungi, AON, and a backpack full of torpors to transfer and I would give it all back (even if there were no GMs on the server), but how do they know that? When I ask people to transfer they are 50+ and in a reputable guild.

I hope you get your stuff back and they get banned for good (if guilty). Good luck.

Whirled
04-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Same^

I've had people hand me more plat than I've ever had & gear I'll probably never attain but I happily hand it over to their Alt_0053 after they swap accounts or characters.

Champion_Standing
04-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Ground > Random person in EC

tristantio
04-04-2014, 04:59 PM
Well, they pretty much have to reimburse (unless they were to cherry pick) as I'm sure there would be quite an influx of Puppet String thiefs if the policy was "do at your own risk" (and jboot/epic MQ sellers who just pocket your payment)

Fame
04-04-2014, 04:59 PM
PvP him

Champion_Standing
04-04-2014, 05:08 PM
PvP him

http://i57.tinypic.com/6j0s4i.jpg

Live feed of intense PvP action in red tunnel.

Fame
04-04-2014, 05:10 PM
chortled

Fuddwin
04-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Friend had this happen to him a month or so ago... was 40 or 50k... guy disappeared.. he /petitioned.. thief was banned though friend never got plat back... =/

Rararboker
04-04-2014, 05:23 PM
I don't understand how people don't know how to do transfers at this point. Are you a new player to Everquest in general?

As they have said, use people in reputable guilds (like any of the guilds listed on the raid page) who are high level. They have no reason to steal and have a reputation to maintain. The guy you trusted, I've never even heard of, which means it was an extremely bad move to give him anything. I don't know who these "people who said he was trustworthy" are, but I imagine they get a cut of his scams.

chief
04-04-2014, 05:49 PM
confirmed Zebaki is platlord, he is slowly regaining his wealth one scam at a time.

Quineloe
04-04-2014, 05:52 PM
http://i57.tinypic.com/6j0s4i.jpg

Live feed of intense PvP action in red tunnel.

That's not really red, right? no way the server is that dead.

Lictor
04-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Lesson learned, why does he deserve his stuff back? welcome to elf_simmulator 101

Champion_Standing
04-04-2014, 06:03 PM

Yes, that really is red. Screen taken 4/2/2014

Swish
04-04-2014, 08:35 PM

Why would you stand in the EC tunnel on red with a bunch of coin waiting to be killed/looted?

Kekephee
04-04-2014, 08:41 PM

EC is empty on Red, but that's because

A) everyone just does their auctioning in OOC
B)
Why would you stand in the tunnel with a bunch of coin waiting to be killed

webrunner5
04-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Why would you stand in the EC tunnel on red with a bunch of coin waiting to be killed/looted?

No truer words have ever been spoken. :D:D

SamIamLegend
04-04-2014, 08:57 PM
just petititon - garunteeed they get perma ban and GMs are really good here - you will get your stuff back NP.

Potus
04-04-2014, 08:58 PM

Yeah that's why GFay was the auction zone on Vallon Zek. Dudes trying to do shady stuff at the Kelethin banker got shot down by the guards.

Sarajo
04-05-2014, 01:36 AM
In the future, you can run both of your alts to the middle of nowhere, drop the gear you're transferring, log over, and pick it up. It takes something like 3m30s for loot to poof on the ground.
Sorry you got deceived, and thanks for reminding me why the only people I trust are the ones on my friends list.

Shamen
04-05-2014, 03:35 AM
I spoke with Zebaki couple days ago, he ordered full set of dreadscale armor from me. Seemed to be a decent guy. This surprised me.

Are you sure its a scam? Maybe he LDed and was unable to log back in? It happened to me before and the guy got back to me one day later with all my stuff. I hoep this is the case.

Good luck!

Smalls
04-05-2014, 03:43 AM
He was talking about this incident in EC earlier, and I think a couple of people spoke up saying that Zebaki is a known scammer on the server. Can anyone clarify?

Corro
04-05-2014, 05:02 AM
Yea man I sorta know him always seemed like a nice guy, have you tried working this out with him directly or did you just log on here immediately after he disappeared to cry wolf?

Khaleesi
04-05-2014, 05:11 AM
Friend had this happen to him a month or so ago... was 40 or 50k... guy disappeared.. he /petitioned.. thief was banned though friend never got plat back... =/

I believe they don't give it back because in effect the money is still out their floating in the system. Creating more and handing it over to the victim would then effectively inject synthetic currency into the market.

But then you think that the amount of these thievery incidents happening can't be that high, and it's also a game.

Gotta love it - we can't stop printing money in real life, but in a video game they try to adhere to sound economics.

Byrjun
04-05-2014, 05:36 AM
I believe they don't give it back because in effect the money is still out their floating in the system. Creating more and handing it over to the victim would then effectively inject synthetic currency into the market.

That makes no sense. The GMs would just have to delete the stolen plat/item(s) at a minimum.

Tankdan
04-05-2014, 08:30 AM
In the future, you can run both of your alts to the middle of nowhere, drop the gear you're transferring, log over, and pick it up. It takes something like 3m30s for loot to poof on the ground.

Id rather ask strangers in EC and take the 1% risk of getting scammed than do that.. Maybe if my alts were on same account. Trades over 5k prob stick with guildees.

Wudan
04-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Id rather ask strangers in EC and take the 1% risk of getting scammed than do that.. Maybe if my alts were on same account. Trades over 5k prob stick with guildees.

I ground trade fungi from main to alt and back on regular basis. Always a big rush lol its like selling all you got irl and putting it on red lol littbe bit of excitment wont hurt :))

Estu
04-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Surprised no one's mentioned this yet, but it's really ridiculous to threaten leaving the game over losing 6k. 6k is nothing. If you have a character at max level (generally speaking; depends on the class) you can easily make 1k an hour, and more realistically you can make 2k+ an hour if you know what you're doing. Between farming cash camps, PLing, and tradeskilling, there are lots of way to make money in the game.

Wudan
04-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Surprised no one's mentioned this yet, but it's really ridiculous to threaten leaving the game over losing 6k. 6k is nothing. If you have a character at max level (generally speaking; depends on the class) you can easily make 1k an hour, and more realistically you can make 2k+ an hour if you know what you're doing. Between farming cash camps, PLing, and tradeskilling, there are lots of way to make money in the game.

Assumptions and ifs. What if this guy is starting here and just lost everything he had? Im guessing he would not be so ruined over 6k if he had main 60lvl farmer.

SamIamLegend
04-05-2014, 10:43 AM
6k Is a lot to 90% of players who aren't neckbeards.

Champion_Standing
04-05-2014, 10:58 AM
Assumptions and ifs. What if this guy is starting here and just lost everything he had? Im guessing he would not be so ruined over 6k if he had main 60lvl farmer.

Also, If he had a lvl 60 to farm with he probably would have known a few more trustworthy people to do a transfer for him.

Clark
04-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Name of guild? If you didn't use someone with a reputable guild tag...

Swish
04-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Surprised no one's mentioned this yet, but it's really ridiculous to threaten leaving the game over losing 6k. 6k is nothing.

"6k" is interchangeable with "everything" for some people :(

Smalls
04-05-2014, 05:35 PM

6k is a goddamn fortune to people clawing their way through the levels with rusty weapons and cloth armor.

Tann
04-05-2014, 06:33 PM
6k is a goddamn fortune to people clawing their way through the levels with rusty weapons and cloth armor.

truth but remember there is no need to rush, the game doesn't open its long hairy legs once you hit max level and invite you into the deep dark abyss of "end game". For some like me the end is a brick wall that I don't have time to delve into.

If you're running low on funds stop and farm up some cash with whatever level appropriate thing works for you, don't rush and have fun!

Nuggie
04-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Yea man I sorta know him always seemed like a nice guy, have you tried working this out with him directly or did you just log on here immediately after he disappeared to cry wolf?

Do you blame rape victims for getting raped also? Victim blaming is not cool.

Nietche
04-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Ground > Random person in EC

Sad but true. I use the ground in obscure places for transfers. For plat, I use guildies.

Corro
04-06-2014, 03:33 AM
Do you blame rape victims for getting raped also? Victim blaming is not cool.

Not at all, but it seems like he was quick to jump the gun and blame him.

Shaniq
04-06-2014, 03:47 AM
Unfortunately 85% of this server is made up of selfish and and self absorbed assholes who really don't give a fuck about other people. They are trapped in their own little worlds where they think having a few extra plat/items will give them a head up on life. Maybe its just them trying to fill up a void in their actual lives? Or just being an asshat on the internet while continuing to be a push over in there outside lives is what keeps them going. Guess we'll never know.

In the meantime If you continue to pay P99 I suggest finding a guild with quality people and just play with them.

tldr: dont trust anyone on the server most players are pieces of shit.

Estu
04-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Wow, lots of backlash to my comment! Like five people saying 6k is all the money in the world for a lot of people. Of course it is! I started from scratch like everyone else here (well, except people with friends who gave them plat when they started). What I'm saying is that it's not that hard to get to level 50+ and then farm up 6k in a few hours. I mean, it's harder for some classes than for others, but the majority of classes have good options available to them to make money at that rate.

I completely stand behind my statement that it's absurd to threaten quitting the game over 6k. It's seriously not that hard to get to 50 or to farm money once you're at 50. It can be a little tedious, but not that hard, and honestly, people worry about money too much on this server. 6k worth of gear is not going to make a big difference for a necro anyway; a necro can level great naked and is not all that gear dependent. Once that necro gets to 50+, he can make 2k an hour easily by offering power-leveling services, or by farming cash camps. If you got a character to the point that you had 6k to spend twinking a necro, you can almost certainly get another 6k relatively easily.

You can say "but some people don't have a ton of time to play", and you'd be right, but again, farming 6k only takes a few hours, and getting to 50 once you're already at the point where you HAD 6k is probably not going to take that long either. It does depend on what class this guy's main is, but he is probably in not that bad a position to get another 6k. Sure, it sucks to lose that money; just nothing to quit the game over.

raptorak
04-06-2014, 09:44 AM
Can you tell me how to farm 6k in a few hours please Estu? I'm a 54 enc and broke :)

Tzeriel
04-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Was told by people I could trust a mage named Zebaki. Not sure if anyone knows him/her or not, but I am definitely screwed. I have held things for people and always given back and have had people do the same for me, with no issue ever. I gave this person 2 backpacks with over 6k worth of items for my new necro I was starting. I am praying to GOD the GM's will have mercy on me and retrieve the bags and ban this person so they can never do this to anyone again. I appreciate everyone in the tunnel trying to help me out. Please tell me the GM's will have pity on me and get my stuff back, otherwise I am just going to quit :( :(

The fact that you're invoking god for an issue in a free mmorpg is both kinda funny and super pitiful. Says a lot about this supposed god too haha. "Hm, I've got that 5:30 genocide to commit. 6:15 I need to start an epidemic... Shit! Trouble on Project 1999! Hold my appointments, I need to take this!"

Estu
04-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Can you tell me how to farm 6k in a few hours please Estu? I'm a 54 enc and broke :)

Hit up some cash camps. Droga or Lower Guk is probably doable at your level as an enchanter, or seafuries (I don't have a ton of experience with enchanters at high levels so I'm sure someone else could offer better advice). People are still selling JBoots MQs so you can try heading to OOT, though I hear it's harder than the old South Ro camp. You could alternatively do some jewelcrafting. Depending on your race, cultural tradeskills could be profitable (there was a nerf a few months ago that made components more expensive for a lot of them, but I know the human cultural is still going strong). In a couple of levels you can start doing Chardok AE for huge EXP and decent money. You'd also be in high demand for cash camps that are done in groups rather than solo; again, not a ton of experience with these, and for these it's probably more important to be a bit higher level.

Generally speaking, be creative. Look at what's being bought and sold in EC, look up what drops it, and figure out if you can do that camp and get the item(s) quickly enough to make decent money. Look at zones you're passing through on the Wiki and see if there are any valuable items in those zones. Ask high-level enchanters for advice.

Wudan
04-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Great thinking Estu. Telling someone,who was SCAMMED out of everything they had to start with that he can farm it back ONCE hegets to 50 is genius. Get the fcuk out of here with this bs man. I for one, can understand him. It took me 14 months to get to 50 with the limited time i have.

Shaniq
04-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Hit up some cash camps. Droga or Lower Guk is probably doable at your level as an enchanter, or seafuries (I don't have a ton of experience with enchanters at high levels so I'm sure someone else could offer better advice). People are still selling JBoots MQs so you can try heading to OOT, though I hear it's harder than the old South Ro camp. You could alternatively do some jewelcrafting. Depending on your race, cultural tradeskills could be profitable (there was a nerf a few months ago that made components more expensive for a lot of them, but I know the human cultural is still going strong). In a couple of levels you can start doing Chardok AE for huge EXP and decent money. You'd also be in high demand for cash camps that are done in groups rather than solo; again, not a ton of experience with these, and for these it's probably more important to be a bit higher level.

Generally speaking, be creative. Look at what's being bought and sold in EC, look up what drops it, and figure out if you can do that camp and get the item(s) quickly enough to make decent money. Look at zones you're passing through on the Wiki and see if there are any valuable items in those zones. Ask high-level enchanters for advice.

ahahahahah nice one. in a perfect world that would be possible. go back to milking your guild bank.

skorge
04-06-2014, 10:49 AM
on my first character here, I made about 40k before I even hit 50 by just farming experience and this was pre-kunark, it's even easier now...I remember buying a rubicite breastplate for like 25k back in the days in my 40's from using plat I made while just leveling solo, so can be easy...I guess it depends if your are playing a class that can solo

Kevynne
04-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Zebaki Ponzy 2014
RIP Ponzy

Frug
04-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Zebaki Ponzy 2014
RIP Ponzy

? he get banned?

Numbers_
04-06-2014, 05:25 PM
In related news I apparently had someone stalk me while drop transferring and they took my stuff. I petitioned already, but I guess we'll see what happens. At the very least I hope I out them for being a thief. It was only about 1k, but it took me forever to find the items ;( Who does that?

Smalls
04-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Just got scammed by Zebaki out of Cloak of Flames, Tranquil Staff, Manastone, Fungi Tunic, Hierophant's Cloak, and Runed Bolster Belt.

Corro
04-06-2014, 08:18 PM
How does that even happen?

MaksimMazor
04-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Just got scammed by Zebaki out of Cloak of Flames, Tranquil Staff, Manastone, Fungi Tunic, Hierophant's Cloak, and Runed Bolster Belt.

No you didnt

Shaniq
04-06-2014, 11:38 PM
In related news I apparently had someone stalk me while drop transferring and they took my stuff. I petitioned already, but I guess we'll see what happens. At the very least I hope I out them for being a thief. It was only about 1k, but it took me forever to find the items ;( Who does that?

welcome to p99, enjoy your stay

tristantio
04-07-2014, 10:59 AM

Where were you trying to drop transfer? Maybe the items simply poofed?

Also, I'm not sure if it works on p99, but NPCs are supposed to pick up items near them that are dropped (did you plop it down next to an NPC?)

Numbers_
04-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Where were you trying to drop transfer? Maybe the items simply poofed?

Also, I'm not sure if it works on p99, but NPCs are supposed to pick up items near them that are dropped (did you plop it down next to an NPC?)

It was up on the hill in North Ro near the Inn, there is a part up the steep hill you can climb next to the invisible zone wall. It's pretty secluded. That used to be my drop spot, obviously I won't be using it anymore ;)

It didn't poof. Derubael was kind enough to look into it for me. I have the person's name, but will contact them first before I tarnish their rep. I'd rather just get my stuff back and forget about it really.

-Globox-
04-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Losing your stuff when drop trading is a risk you take. It seems kind of silly to get GM involvement and get a name. Is it unfortunate? Absolutely. I feel for you, man. Hopefully you do get your gear back. If there was no risk though, they might as well just implement shared bank slots.

Numbers_
04-07-2014, 01:01 PM
And getting outted for stealing items in a secluded area is a risk you take as well. I'm normally pretty open-minded, but I really don't see the other side of the argument of this. I mean, I wasn't in a high traffic area. It was a obscure spot.

That being said, if he gives me back my items I'll completely forget about it. I think that's pretty reasonable.

Sylexis
04-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Next time you need a transfer just look for a Divinity tag.

Numbers_
04-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Thanks! I will.

Bongs from <Taken> helped me transfer all my stuff I had on bank mule last night. I'm just going to sell stuff on my main character from now on so I have to transfer as little as possible.

-Globox-
04-07-2014, 01:50 PM
I mean, I wasn't in a high traffic area. It was a obscure spot.

Does it really matter where you dropped it? You chose to drop it and, unless you've enabled fast drop, received a prompt asking if you really want to do that. Once it hits the ground, the race is on. No, it isn't noble or admiral to nick someone's items off the ground and run off with it, but whosoever picks it up certainly has every right to. Without GM interference, you'd never know who it was. Thankfully, for you, one was kind enough to help.

Good luck getting your stuff back (hopefully) and try to find a new drop spot if you must. I always used the tops of the hills in EC near WFP, but I'm sure they're just as common as the Nro spot.

I lost a minor fortune on live drop trading on the back of the small spires in The Nexus. :/

Aviann
04-07-2014, 01:50 PM
And getting outted for stealing items in a secluded area is a risk you take as well.

It wasn't stealing, it was picking it up off of the ground. Also, if it were the case, I think the man should be given rights on his find for being so good at what he does.

There is no sides of this argument, because there is no argument.

People need to learn how to be social and a little less anonymous. It doesn't take much of an effort to find a groupie or a guildie or a friend to hold your crap for you. You couldn't wait 15 minutes for someone to log on? Then you play it by risk and it is no one's fault but your own.

tristantio
04-07-2014, 02:16 PM
I should start petitioning when I drop fishing grubs in east commons tunnel and someone picks them up :)

Kekephee
04-07-2014, 02:19 PM
On live and on P99, I never believed the hype that drop-transferring was really a viable option. For every one person I have ever seen say "oh yeah it works, I do it all the time" I see a hundred people screaming in OOC, WHO TOOK MY FUCKING LAMMYYYYYY

I don't think there is some phantom player taking peoples' shit off the ground. People go so, SO out of their way to find the most secluded spot. To assume that there is someone who knows you're going to the middle of Paineel to drop a bag of alt gear and follows you there, lurking in the shadows so you don't see them, is incredibly paranoid. I think people are wrong about how long items last on the ground. I think they go the fuck away.

tristantio
04-07-2014, 02:22 PM
If its something worth under 1k I'll normally drop transfer it, transferred a smoldering brand at Hadden the other day (well, just south) - hmm, maybe thats a good way to lure people from the Hadden spawn point and take their camp (droppin droppables just in visible range but out of camp range haha)

Raavak
04-07-2014, 02:26 PM
On Live, back when you could drop plat, I dropped my entire bankroll where my alt was parked, logged out only to find that login was down or something and I couldn't log back in for like an hour. I was so pissed off...

Numbers_
04-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Does it really matter where you dropped it? You chose to drop it and, unless you've enabled fast drop, received a prompt asking if you really want to do that. Once it hits the ground, the race is on. No, it isn't noble or admiral to nick someone's items off the ground and run off with it, but whosoever picks it up certainly has every right to. Without GM interference, you'd never know who it was. Thankfully, for you, one was kind enough to help. :/

How is picking something off the ground, that you know they dropped for transfer, in a obviously out of way area, not stealing? Is it against the rules? Not technically, but it's still stealing from a moral perspective. How morally bankrupt do you have to be to reason like this?

Numbers_
04-07-2014, 02:38 PM
It wasn't stealing, it was picking it up off of the ground. Also, if it were the case, I think the man should be given rights on his find for being so good at what he does.

There is no sides of this argument, because there is no argument.

People need to learn how to be social and a little less anonymous. It doesn't take much of an effort to find a groupie or a guildie or a friend to hold your crap for you. You couldn't wait 15 minutes for someone to log on? Then you play it by risk and it is no one's fault but your own.

Wow, you sound like a literal sociopath. I'm not about to argue with you about what should be obvious to any decent human being. If you think picking up what someone is obviously transferring is ok, then you are beyond hope.

Numbers_
04-07-2014, 02:41 PM
I should start petitioning when I drop fishing grubs in east commons tunnel and someone picks them up :)

If you were in a out of the way, secluded area, dropping an item that actually had value, then that might make sense.

Gadwen
04-07-2014, 03:00 PM
On live and on P99, I never believed the hype that drop-transferring was really a viable option. For every one person I have ever seen say "oh yeah it works, I do it all the time" I see a hundred people screaming in OOC, WHO TOOK MY FUCKING LAMMYYYYYY

I don't think there is some phantom player taking peoples' shit off the ground. People go so, SO out of their way to find the most secluded spot. To assume that there is someone who knows you're going to the middle of Paineel to drop a bag of alt gear and follows you there, lurking in the shadows so you don't see them, is incredibly paranoid. I think people are wrong about how long items last on the ground. I think they go the fuck away.

I would like a source on that ratio.

Seriously though, drop transfers work fine. AFAIK the items will stay there as long as an NPC corpse will. I've done them between accounts dozens of times both here and live. Of course you are going to see more crying about failed drop transfers than you will people bragging about successful attempts, people don't shout in the zone that they just successfully completed a drop transfer...they do if someone snagged it up though.

Without a doubt, I would take my chances with a drop transfer over a random person any day of the week.

Rararboker
04-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Moral of the story, don't drop transfer, it is a horrible method of transfering items. When you drop an item, and someone steals it, they aren't required to give it back. That is how things work here (much like Live! what a surprise!). If you want to transfer talk to one of the (50) people in EC who are in a well known guild and who are lvl 58+. I know <indignation> members are good folks.

Still don't understand why people continue to try drop transfering. Seems utterly ridiculous to me.

Numbers_
04-07-2014, 03:06 PM
I would like a source on that ratio.

Seriously though, drop transfers work fine. AFAIK the items will stay there as long as an NPC corpse will. I've done them between accounts dozens of times both here and live. Of course you are going to see more crying about failed drop transfers than you will people bragging about successful attempts, people don't shout in the zone that they just successfully completed a drop transfer...they do if someone snagged it up though.

Without a doubt, I would take my chances with a drop transfer over a random person any day of the week.

Before this incident I would have agreed with you and have drop transferred many times without a problem. But this has shown me you are actually better off transferring with someone else. They can't take action against him for this, but if he had scammed me during a transfer he would probably be banned and I actually might get my stuff back. I would have been better off in this case handing it over to some random level 1 person. Crazy. :cool:

I've put like 15k worth of stuff down on the ground in that same spot too, which was everything I owned at the time. Makes me cringe to think about it. That was actually one of the smaller transfers I've done there.

Gadwen
04-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Still don't understand why people continue to try drop transfering. Seems utterly ridiculous to me.

I wouldn't drop transfer a CoF or a Fungi, but a hero bracer and a few gems? Who cares...I can lose them and replace them in less time than it takes waiting on a friend to transfer or getting my alts ported around to EC and back etc.

I've never had a drop transfer fail, but I've never done one in nro or the nexus either lol.

-Globox-
04-07-2014, 03:19 PM
How is picking something off the ground, that you know they dropped for transfer, in a obviously out of way area, not stealing? Is it against the rules? Not technically, but it's still stealing from a moral perspective. How morally bankrupt do you have to be to reason like this?

I guess bankrupt enough to wish you luck in getting your gear back twice. How good of you to edit that out of the quote.

FYI, this isn't about morals. It's about rules and risks. Once you drop the item, it's free for anyone to pick up, which you knew.

I don't know how it is on this server, but I lost bags on Live selling gear in EC because when the trade cancelled, minor items filled the inventory slots and my bag hit the ground. This was before the fix where the overflow items defaulted to your cursor. The person I was trading with snatched it and reluctantly handed it back after some tells and OOCing. That was a system flaw and would be more along the lines of stealing.

Good luck, man.

Turp_SmokinPurp
04-07-2014, 03:22 PM
I don't understand how people don't know how to do transfers at this point. Are you a new player to Everquest in general?

As they have said, use people in reputable guilds (like any of the guilds listed on the raid page) who are high level. They have no reason to steal and have a reputation to maintain. The guy you trusted, I've never even heard of, which means it was an extremely bad move to give him anything. I don't know who these "people who said he was trustworthy" are, but I imagine they get a cut of his scams.

That is what I was thinking lol. New to gaming? New to MMORPG? Born under a rock?

He chose the worst person in tunnel to trust. OP was probably in a rush an just picked whoever he seen first. Or just super drunk/stoned. Or retarded.
He chose a level 7? with no gear that can easily be deleted and not missed lol.

An whoever told you this guy was trustworthy, was it his level 1 alt he just made to tell you some bullshit? Lol.

How did OP expect to not get robbed? That is like giving a homeless guy 10 grand an tell him you will be back in a month to get it. Complete non sense.
Being dumb will get you robbed every time.

Agreed.
Trust level 60s in a known guild and you can be assured they are not going to delete.

Numbers_
04-07-2014, 03:38 PM
I guess bankrupt enough to wish you luck in getting your gear back twice. How good of you to edit that out of the quote.

FYI, this isn't about morals. It's about rules and risks. Once you drop the item, it's free for anyone to pick up, which you knew.

I don't know how it is on this server, but I lost bags on Live selling gear in EC because when the trade cancelled, minor items filled the inventory slots and my bag hit the ground. This was before the fix where the overflow items defaulted to your cursor. The person I was trading with snatched it and reluctantly handed it back after some tells and OOCing. That was a system flaw and would be more along the lines of stealing.

Good luck, man.

Thanks for the well wishes, I probably shouldn't have edited that out, my mistake. Anyhow, lets reason this out. First we'll define stealing since this has turned into a semantics argument:

"To take (the property of another) without right or permission."

What is the difference between handing someone my gear, with the expectation of getting it back and dropping it on the ground (in a obscure, secluded area, mind you) with the expectation of getting it back? Shouldn't it be my property still in both cases from a common sense perspective? Is my intention not the same in both instances?

tristantio
04-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Dropping on the ground is discarding it, it isn't really your property then - like I mentioned re: fishing grubs - should someone be petitioned everytime they pick up a ground spawn item?

Don't forget in lots of zones in EQ there are ground spawn items that the game creates as well (why should a player have to distinguish? they both look like a brown sack until picked up).

Also - I don't condone of stealing the items (fwiw) but I also do not think GMs should get involved - if you give a stranger your items that is your mistake - they should not be punished by a GM for keeping imho, but like I mentioned way earlier, if GMs did not ban a scammer in this way, there would likely be rampant scamming (more than there is) and it would be impossible to do things like MQ or get an OT hammer via puppet strings (as the "customer" could just choose to keep 300k strings for their cost of the MQ).

Edit: your real world analogy for dropping an item, would be going in a back alley in a city, dropping off a backpack of goods (maybe money? gems?) and leaving, then coming back later expecting to find it there still - if some bum happened across it, they simply found some unmarked goods (have you ever found a penny and picked it up?)

Numbers_
04-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Dropping on the ground is discarding it, it isn't really your property then - like I mentioned re: fishing grubs - should someone be petitioned everytime they pick up a ground spawn item?

Don't forget in lots of zones in EQ there are ground spawn items that the game creates as well (why should a player have to distinguish? they both look like a brown sack until picked up).

Not trying to be a jerk here (love the site btw), but common sense says I wouldn't discard 1k worth of items in a secluded area. People drop grubs because they are obviously trash.

If I found a Fungi on the ground, it's obviously not spawned from the ground. I would be searching for the person who dropped it.

Kekephee
04-07-2014, 03:46 PM
I JUST ASSUMED THIS PERSON DID NO LONGER WANTED HIS FULL SET OF DREADSCALE ARMOR AND TOOK IT UPON MYSELF TO PICK IT UP AND KEEP IT INSTEAD OF LETTING IT ROT

tristantio
04-07-2014, 03:46 PM
And how would you decide who dropped it (outside of GM intervention)?

/ooc Anyone leave a fungi around here? Just found one on the ground, need to know who to give it to

I'm sure you'd get lots of takers on that :D

Kekephee
04-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Could always stand there for 5 minutes knowing that if someone was transferring it, unless they are grossly misinformed about how transferring works they will be logging on a character in that exact spot within a few moments

Numbers_
04-07-2014, 03:51 PM
And how would you decide who dropped it (outside of GM intervention)?

/ooc Anyone leave a fungi around here? Just found one on the ground, need to know who to give it to

I'm sure you'd get lots of takers on that :D

Hehe. I actually saw that recently. Someone in EC in /ooc said that someone dropped a backpack full of stuff and if they can name what was in it they would get it back. I'm not sure if they ever found them or not though.

-Globox-
04-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the well wishes, I probably shouldn't have edited that out, my mistake. Anyhow, lets reason this out.

No worries. I'm willing to hug it out. <3

As stated, once you drop it, the item is discarded willfully from your inventory. If this were about morality and ethics, I would agree wholeheartedly.

tristantio
04-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Could always stand there for 5 minutes knowing that if someone was transferring it, unless they are grossly misinformed about how transferring works they will be logging on a character in that exact spot within a few moments

How long would you stand there? What if their ISP disconnected or they had a family emergency come up?

Or is it morally safe to assume after 5 minutes the items would have poofed anyways and they can just lose out on them?

Also - the best way to drop transfer is drop it at 5 seconds left to camp, then you require a max of about 10 seconds to get back in and loot the items (if you have see invis as you camp, its unlikely someone could come from out of your visual range to where your items were in under 15 seconds unless they were cheating).

Numbers_
04-07-2014, 03:59 PM
No worries. I'm willing to hug it out. <3

As stated, once you drop it, the item is discarded willfully from your inventory. If this were about morality and ethics, I would agree wholeheartedly.

Cool, ok then we do agree. :) Yeah, no doubt. Strictly from a rules perspective there is nothing they can do about it, which was why I was saying I would have been better off handing it to a random level 1 character. I'm just calling him a thief from a moral standpoint. I don't think ninjalooting is technically illegal either, but we all know how much they suck. Hopefully he does the right thing though and just gives it back. I would rather just move on. I don't like drama. :)

Halius
04-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the well wishes, I probably shouldn't have edited that out, my mistake. Anyhow, lets reason this out. First we'll define stealing since this has turned into a semantics argument:

"To take (the property of another) without right or permission."

What is the difference between handing someone my gear, with the expectation of getting it back and dropping it on the ground (in a obscure, secluded area, mind you) with the expectation of getting it back? Shouldn't it be my property still in both cases from a common sense perspective? Is my intention not the same in both instances?

I agree with you in the fact that taking your stuff was wrong, assuming this person was following you with the intent of taking items after you dropped them. However, technically, he didn't "steal" the items because you willingly left them out in an open area. If you compare that to RL, that is like if you went to the park, dropped $100 on the ground with the intent of coming back in say 5 minutes to pick it up. If someone should happen upon that $100 dollars and take it, do you blame them or yourself for leaving $100 on the ground?

Stealing is when someone takes something from you that you have personal possession of. Such as taking something from your house. Your house is your personal property and thus everything in it is your property so they would be "Stealing." It was more like you, metaphorically speaking, took the stuff out of your house, set the stuff out in the grass at a public park, and then got mad when the stuff was later gone.

Anyways all that said, I don't agree with what he did especially if he was following you with the intent of getting free items. However, it was your choice to drop stuff. Sorry you lost that stuff man and I hope you get it back. I do drops transfers all the time (here and back on Live) and have never lost an item, just gotta find the lowest foot traffic areas possible and make a check around you for other players before dropping.

Numbers_
04-07-2014, 04:15 PM
I agree with you in the fact that taking your stuff was wrong, assuming this person was following you with the intent of taking items after you dropped them. However, technically, he didn't "steal" the items because you willingly left them out in an open area. If you compare that to RL, that is like if you went to the park, dropped $100 on the ground with the intent of coming back in say 5 minutes to pick it up. If someone should happen upon that $100 dollars and take it, do you blame them or yourself for leaving $100 on the ground?

Stealing is when someone takes something from you that you have personal possession of. Such as taking something from your house. Your house is your personal property and thus everything in it is your property so they would be "Stealing." It was more like you, metaphorically speaking, took the stuff out of your house, set the stuff out in the grass at a public park, and then got mad when the stuff was later gone.

Anyways all that said, I don't agree with what he did especially if he was following you with the intent of getting free items. However, it was your choice to drop stuff. Sorry you lost that stuff man and I hope you get it back. I do drops transfers all the time (here and back on Live) and have never lost an item, just gotta find the lowest foot traffic areas possible and make a check around you for other players before dropping.

Thanks :) I think the difference here is that he saw me drop it. He had to have been right on my heels, which does make it stealing from a moral perspective. I agree that if you found money on the ground that would not be stealing. However, if you saw someone drop it it sure would be (from a moral standpoint, not sure what the law says, but lying isn't against the law either). There isn't really any real life equivalent to having to transfer items to yourself by dropping them on the ground, so the alternate version of yourself can pick it up :)

Anyway, I learned my lesson. Next time I'll use someone like Bongs or a Divinity member (which was graciously offered to me in this thread) to transfer my stuff.

HippoNipple
04-07-2014, 04:17 PM
I will transfer your stuff, meet me in Qeynos sewers in 20 minutes.

Halius
04-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks :) I think the difference here is that he saw me drop it. He had to have been right on my heels, which does make it stealing from a moral perspective. I agree that if you found money on the ground that would not be stealing. However, if you saw someone drop it it sure would be (from a moral standpoint, not sure what the law says, but lying isn't against the law either). There isn't really any real life equivalent to having to transfer items to yourself by dropping them on the ground, so the alternate version of yourself can pick it up :)

Anyway, I learned my lesson. Next time I'll use someone like Bongs or a Divinity member (which was graciously offered to me in this thread) to transfer my stuff.

Yeah I get it, that's why I don't agree with what he did either. If I was a higher level I'd help ya out with some pp, but unfortunately I level at an incredibly casual pace nowadays. Good lucks with your items :)

-Globox-
04-07-2014, 04:22 PM
I will transfer your stuff, meet me in Qeynos sewers in 20 minutes.

Seems legit. Would trust.

Numbers_
04-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Yeah I get it, that's why I don't agree with what he did either. If I was a higher level I'd help ya out with some pp, but unfortunately I level at an incredibly casual pace nowadays. Good lucks with your items :)

Thanks, if I see you around i'll toss ya a clarity ;)

Wudan
04-12-2014, 12:45 PM
OP did you get your stuff back?

Rhambuk
04-12-2014, 02:25 PM
surprised this isnt in rnf yet seeing as people know that the op is RyanJ....

twizztid
04-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Try any <Taken> member. We are trusting, and a decent sized guild so we are around often, in many different zones. And if for some very odd reason you get ripped off, tell a guild officer and that person is gone.

Yonkec
04-14-2014, 07:44 PM
Please sign my petition to to get Ryanj and Meggetter IP Banned from the game servers and from the Project 1999 game server.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1413781#post1413781

Seriously? Grow up, welcome to the thing called life. You can't petition your way to world peace.

Tasslehofp99
04-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Seriously? Grow up, welcome to the thing called life. You can't petition your way to world peace.

I hope you do a transfer for Ryanj and get flagged for RMT.

Yonkec
04-14-2014, 07:55 PM
I hope you do a transfer for Ryanj and get flagged for RMT.

I love you too! Once you turn 16 we should totally go on a non platonic date.

Pringles
04-14-2014, 08:02 PM
If it makes you feel any better OP, I once accidentally deleted a character with an FBSS still equipped (I didn't notice it was still equipped). 12k down the drain (back then)

I didn't petition, because.... that was my fault. I call it a "Stupid tax". 6k may seem like a lot now, but move on an enjoy the game, you'll bounce back :)

Nuggie
04-14-2014, 10:50 PM
Please sign my petition to to get Ryanj and Meggetter IP Banned from the game servers and from the Project 1999 game server.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1413781#post1413781

People don't like being told what to do. Our gm's are amongst that group. If you want this result the path you're taking isn't helping you obtain it.

Shamen
04-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know about my experience with Zebaki.

He ordered set of Dreadscale from me couple days before this thread was posted. He occasionaly asked if I have the set in following week so I focused on finishing the orded as he seemed to be really excited about getting it for his SK.

After I read this thread I asked him about what happened. He said he went LD that day and was unable to log back in. He also said he gave all the stuff back to OP the next day, but decided to reroll anyway, because his reputation was ruined.

I finished the Dreadscale set the next day and he started to question the previously agreed price and ended up not buying it.

The guy is a scammer, he did not return the stuff to OP and probably had a plan how to scam me too...

The char he rerolled is called "Camnus" so be carefull...

Frug
04-15-2014, 07:44 PM
So much drama!

kylok
04-15-2014, 07:46 PM
People don't like being told what to do. Our gm's are amongst that group. If you want this result the path you're taking isn't helping you obtain it.

Damn, this sets such a bad example. He was banned like 12 hours before all these dumb 'petition to ban blah blah' threads/posts went up, ban petitions don't actually work.

Goodbye, Ryan and Sean. I tried really hard to give you guys a chance on this server and it was just one clusterfuck after another up until the last minute.

Sometimes dreams do come true.