PDA

View Full Version : What should a new necro spend 650pp on?

Magrim
04-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Looking for gears some nice person gave me some 500pp when I asked for a buff. I called that a buff!

I would like probably a robe and a cool staff so I can stop looking like a hobo pirate. (please specific items in my price range)

pharmakos
04-04-2014, 05:02 PM
they won't look too cool, but there's a good case to be made for getting yourself 2x Platinum Fire Wedding Rings... 55hp / 5ac on each one.

or if you're going for aesthetics, necros look pretty badass in Advisor Robes. not sure on staves.

Supaskillz
04-04-2014, 05:04 PM
In my opinion best upgrade for that price is a lair of 55hp 5ac rings. That's a lot of hp to avoid random deaths at low levels and is great with loch line of spells.

If you are concerned about style maybe go flowing black robe + staff of writhing, I always thought that was a sweet necro look.

EDIT: great minds^

Nikon
04-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Flowing Black Robe (http://wiki.project1999.com/Flowing_Black_Robe) is pretty cheap and will get you a few stats.

Staff of Writhing (http://wiki.project1999.com/Staff_of_writhing) if you really want a staff. Doesn't proc until 28, though.

Edit: Others posted while typing. I agree that the rings would be your best bang for the buck at this point.

loramin
04-04-2014, 05:48 PM
I'd recommend saving at least some of it. Later on your spells will get more expensive, and there's nothing more annoying than leveling and being unable to afford your new spells (plus spells are more important to casters than gear).

Also there are other small things (eg. rusty weapons for your pet) that it's nice to keep a little extra plat around for.

Wrench
04-04-2014, 05:57 PM
they won't look too cool, but there's a good case to be made for getting yourself 2x Platinum Fire Wedding Rings... 55hp / 5ac on each one..

personally always liked platinum skull rings for a necro

but can see the argument for having an extra 50 hp instead of an extra 40 mana

pharmakos
04-04-2014, 06:10 PM
platinum skull rings are a good option too, and a tad cheaper... but i assume harder to find for sale in EC

baalzy
04-04-2014, 06:20 PM
I'd recommend saving at least some of it. Later on your spells will get more expensive, and there's nothing more annoying than leveling and being unable to afford your new spells (plus spells are more important to casters than gear).

Also there are other small things (eg. rusty weapons for your pet) that it's nice to keep a little extra plat around for.

If you can't buy your spells when you level up as a necro, you're doing it wrong. Necros have so much potential for plat generation while leveling..

Kobie
04-04-2014, 06:29 PM
Best thing you can do is reroll as an iksar; the health regen makes a big difference for necros

Supaskillz
04-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Best thing you can do is reroll as an iksar; the health regen makes a big difference for necros

Do we know he's not an iksar?

Kobie
04-04-2014, 06:39 PM
He said he didn't want to look like a hobo pirate anymore; don't see too many hobo pirate iksars.

pharmakos
04-04-2014, 08:56 PM
i wish i could play a hobo pirate iksar tbph

Magrim
04-05-2014, 02:31 PM

nope don't want to deal with the faction issues with my first character and I dont care.

Nietche
04-05-2014, 03:30 PM
I wouldn't buy anything with it. You'll need pp for spells/regeants as you level. Most necros disagree with me, but I prefer mana over hps. 110 more hps aren't going to save you like 110 mana (root/fd) will in a firefight between you and a spiroc. Just saying.

So if you do buy anything, imo don't buy the 55hp rings.

SamwiseRed
04-05-2014, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't buy anything with it. You'll need pp for spells/regeants as you level. Most necros disagree with me, but I prefer mana over hps. 110 more hps aren't going to save you like 110 mana (root/fd) will in a firefight between you and a spiroc. Just saying.

So if you do buy anything, imo don't buy the 55hp rings.

bad advice.

mana is worthless if you are dead.

Potus
04-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Looking for gears some nice person gave me some 500pp when I asked for a buff. I called that a buff!

I would like probably a robe and a cool staff so I can stop looking like a hobo pirate. (please specific items in my price range)

Buy HP rings. Two 55hp rings at early levels is super powerful.

Looking like a hobo is the necro way. You're supposed to be an outcast that society looks down upon. Murder their guards and bards.

Velerin
04-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Emulate Tovax, the boss of necros. Kill anyone in your way.

Nietche
04-05-2014, 05:25 PM
bad advice.

mana is worthless if you are dead.

That is true; however, I bet I can get more out of 110 mana than 110 hps in a firefight. Bring your necro to HS and let's test that.

For the OP, if you have 1.2k hps and 0 mana in a dungeon, will you live? The relationship in survivability between hps and mana is not linear. In fact, once you approach, say, 1k hps (I don't know what level you are), mana becomes exponentially more important than hit points. Against the aforementioned spiroc, I'd rather have 110 mana than 110 hps. I learned that the hard way.

rgostic
04-05-2014, 05:28 PM
nope don't want to deal with the faction issues with my first character and I dont care.

I've got a 60 iksar necromancer.

Necromancers have faction issues regardless of race, so you might want to rethink your class choice if you don't want to have to deal with the possibility of random NPC murder.

Also, both Iksar and non-Iksar necromancers are able to use invisibility, feign death, skeleton illusion, and line of sight tricks to marginalize most issues arising from Norrath's general hostility towards them.

And trust me, you want the regen. One day you will be playing with or near an iksar necro of similar level to you and you will see how much easier a time he is having and you will regret it.

pharmakos
04-05-2014, 05:29 PM
That is true; however, I bet I can get more out of 110 mana than 110 hps in a firefight. Bring your necro to HS and let's test that.

For the OP, if you have 1.2k hps and 0 mana in a dungeon, will you live? The relationship in survivability between hps and mana is not linear. In fact, once you approach, say, 1k hps (I don't know what level you are), mana becomes exponentially more important than hit points. Against the aforementioned spiroc, I'd rather have 110 mana than 110 hps. I learned that the hard way.

^^ necro gameplay in howling stones is a lot different than necro gameplay in commonlands

he's specifically asking what would be good for a newbie. HPs all the way. i even recommend 55hp rings for newbie wizards and druids.

Nietche
04-05-2014, 05:43 PM
^^ necro gameplay in howling stones is a lot different than necro gameplay in commonlands

he's specifically asking what would be good for a newbie. HPs all the way. i even recommend 55hp rings for newbie wizards and druids.

Respectfully, he doesn't say what level he is. At level 1, 110 hps are awesome. Even at level 10 or 12, sure. But if he's in his 30s and 40s and has (hopefully) learned the art of root rotting and fear kiting, then mana becomes pretty important. Personally, I've long thought that too many necros use hps as a crutch and, thus, never really learn to play their toon to its fullest extent. But to each their own.

OP: it honestly doesn't matter what you pick up from levels 1-40, if anything. Obviously, twink items are nice, but if you only have 650pp, I'd sit on that for a bit before making any purchases.

P.S. Feel free to send me a /tell in game any time for advice, etc.

Potus
04-05-2014, 05:52 PM
Mana becomes less important as you level, actually.

I don't see what one extra fear cast is going to do at level 40, but 110 hitpoints is more than another round of melee damage, and it's extra hitpoints you can lich off.

Vexenu
04-05-2014, 05:54 PM

The goal with stacking HP is to get as much efficiency as possible from your lifetap DoTs while maintaining a reasonably safe HP buffer. If you have to Lich down to 30% health or less to get a full heal from Vexing or Bond because you've only got 1k hp, you're doing it wrong. Further, hitpoints ARE mana for a Necro. 110 hp can be liched for more mana. They also have the nice side benefit of keeping you alive. As a Necro you should never be full mana while XPing, while on the contrary you should shoot up to just under full HP every time you cast your lifetap DoT. This maximizes your safety as well as your mana efficiency, and is why max HP is more important than max mana as a Necro.

I mean, if you have a really low mana pool you will run into problems, sure, but my Iksar Nec is 54 with over 1500 hp and only 2000 mana and never has issues going OOM in fights. It's about how quickly and efficiently you can refill the tank, not how many gallons you can hold.

Nietche
04-05-2014, 06:22 PM
Mana becomes less important as you level, actually.

I don't see what one extra fear cast is going to do at level 40, but 110 hitpoints is more than another round of melee damage, and it's extra hitpoints you can lich off.

You're so wrong. Mana becomes much more important as you level. If you don't have enough mana for Vexing (450 mana per cast), hps to lich off aren't going to matter too much. Right now, if I didn't use my Soul Well stick, with 3630 mana, it wouldn't matter if I had only 1.2k hps (I actually have about 1500 or so) because I'm going to be able to efficiently cast Vexing during a fear kite (along with a second fear, root/darkness for adds, etc) without having to worry about running oom.

The goal with stacking HP is to get as much efficiency as possible from your lifetap DoTs while maintaining a reasonably safe HP buffer. If you have to Lich down to 30% health or less to get a full heal from Vexing or Bond because you've only got 1k hp, you're doing it wrong. Further, hitpoints ARE mana for a Necro. 110 hp can be liched for more mana. They also have the nice side benefit of keeping you alive. As a Necro you should never be full mana while XPing, while on the contrary you should shoot up to just under full HP every time you cast your lifetap DoT. This maximizes your safety as well as your mana efficiency, and is why max HP is more important than max mana as a Necro.

I mean, if you have a really low mana pool you will run into problems, sure, but my Iksar Nec is 54 with over 1500 hp and only 2000 mana and never has issues going OOM in fights. It's about how quickly and efficiently you can refill the tank, not how many gallons you can hold.

As a necro, I'm always between 70-80% mana (at the lowest) while fear kiting. At worst, I get down to 30% or so when I make a full clear of King room in lguk (6 mobs + maybe 2 others on initial break). Without enough mana to kill 8 mobs in 27.5 minutes (before next respawn), hps aren't going to matter. You're going to fail, and you're probably going to die.

In HS, charming is even more mana intensive. To break a room, for instance, it requires 300 mana for the charm, and about 500 mana (for 5 paralyzing earths--3 minute roots). Deflux is roughly 240 mana (iirc) for when your pet gets to 5-6%. Then you need another charm which is another 300 mana. This whole time, you're going to need at least one vexing for 450 mana (if no vp stick). So we're already at ~2k mana, and this doesn't even account for re-roots, re-charms when pet breaks, manaskin when it falls off on a charm break. Etc.

Imo, if you have 1500 hps at level 54 and if any of your hp gear could be switched out for mana gear, you need to do that. I don't know where you level (at 54 I think I did BW giants), but in hindsight I should have been in CoM charming. For efficiency sake, you only need about 1.2k hps with 2.8k mana if you can attain the gear.

Vexenu
04-05-2014, 06:57 PM
It's true that breaking rooms with charm is an example of where it's nice to have a big mana pool, but even a HP stacked Necro should be fine it those situations, because you aren't factoring in the med time you get while killing. Also, having the VP clicky changes the calculus entirely. If you're able to spam that thing whenever then it's no wonder you're devaluing the importance of HP. I've never used one but I can't imagine that the mana free lifetap is anything less than a total game changer.

I mean the argument essentially boils down to the fact that running out of mana is bad, but running out of hitpoints is worse. And it's much easier to anticipate going OOM than it is to anticipate a drop in hitpoints, and smart play can make up for a lower mana pool on a Necro (since you can regen mana so quickly) easier than you can make up for low hp (since you tend to lose hp quickly when things go badly which are often beyond your control, like getting resists or charm breaks).

Nietche
04-05-2014, 07:13 PM
It's true that breaking rooms with charm is an example of where it's nice to have a big mana pool, but even a HP stacked Necro should be fine it those situations, because you aren't factoring in the med time you get while killing. Also, having the VP clicky changes the calculus entirely. If you're able to spam that thing whenever then it's no wonder you're devaluing the importance of HP. I've never used one but I can't imagine that the mana free lifetap is anything less than a total game changer.

I mean the argument essentially boils down to the fact that running out of mana is bad, but running out of hitpoints is worse. And it's much easier to anticipate going OOM than it is to anticipate a drop in hitpoints, and smart play can make up for a lower mana pool on a Necro (since you can regen mana so quickly) easier than you can make up for low hp (since you tend to lose hp quickly when things go badly which are often beyond your control, like getting resists or charm breaks).

The VP stick is not a spam stick as it has a long cast time. It's actually worse than vexing in terms of immediate hps, as it is a splurt life tap (to 110 when it falls off). Vexing is 111 per tick.

But it is a game changer in terms of my not having to use a lot of mana. I won't argue that. However, before I had the stick and when I used vexing, I almost never ran out of mana as I always stacked mana over hps.

Pro tip: when charming, use screaming terror before attempting a re-charm.

In a fight:

1.) Not running out of mana = not running out of hps. There's no getting around it. Aside from impossibly bad luck or carelessness (e.g., bad pull/stuff spawns on you), if you have a decent mana pool, you should never run out of hps.

2.) Running out of mana = running out of hps. If you don't have enough mana to root or fd, you're probably going to die (definitely if in a dungeon). If you do have enough mana to fd, the next 10-15 minutes will be spent at the cost of efficiency (i.e., you won't be killing anything at 1hp/1mana per tick regen).

In the times when Everquest just hates your guts, neither mana nor hps will save you.

Splorf22
04-05-2014, 07:55 PM
The goal with stacking HP is to get as much efficiency as possible from your lifetap DoTs while maintaining a reasonably safe HP buffer

This is how I always looked at it too.

According to the wiki, Vexing Mordinia returns 122 HP/tick. Iksar (there are no other necromancers, really) will regenerate 12 HP/tick while standing. Demi Lich costs 32 HP/tick. So that means a net of +102 HP/tick. Vexing lasts 9 ticks, so to get the full benefit you need to have taken 900 damage when you cast the spell (unless you are healing or whatnot). If you have 1500 HP, that means you have to lich all the way down to 600 HP! With Bond of Death (80 hp/tick, 60 net, 540 buffer) the math isn't quite so bad, but then you are giving up some efficiency.

With a summoned pet I suppose that isn't so bad, and there is manaskin, and necros usually don't haste/weaponize their pets like enchanters do, but it still seems dangerous to run around dungeons with 600HP.

All that being said, when I toyed around with a necromancer (with stacked HP and ~160 INT) there were definitely times I wish I had more mana, so <shrug>

THE REAL SOLUTION IS TO REROLL ENCHANTER

Magrim
04-05-2014, 09:54 PM
For the record im almost level 8 and you guys are getting way off topic. If you think you I should stack mana then SUGGEST ITEMS.

Someone saying I should save it is stupid, ITEMS DONT BIND. I can spend as much as I want resell whenever I feel necessary. Not to mention people seem to give me money all the time, a 60 shaman gave me 100pp for buying him 5 stacks of bat wings.

I'll cry about being a human necro when i see an iksar necro doing so much, wait no i won't ill remember he had to spend 23% more time grinding.

Splorf22
04-05-2014, 10:14 PM
I can spend as much as I want

paging derubael, paging derubael

Tann
04-05-2014, 10:22 PM
I'll cry about being a human necro when i see an iksar necro doing so much, wait no i won't ill remember he had to spend 23% more time grinding.

http://www.medstudentsonline.com.au/attachments/f35/715d1348219178-2012-what-my-chances-interview-not-sure-if-serious.png

Nietche
04-05-2014, 10:46 PM

I think we have all been smote by a troll.

Magrim
04-06-2014, 02:44 PM
If there "aren't any necros besides iksar" I will really have to touch on the complete shi*t game design. (sorry fan boys) It is especially unnerving to consider that iksar came with an expansion and therefore all those necros that had rolled before them were now "obsolete". If an additional 8hp per tick breaks my character I'll reroll or ill quit, its not like i have any money invested into this.

edit// if we could get back to the discussion at hand....what good +mana items were those that thought mana should be stacked suggesting?

littlebobby3
04-06-2014, 10:47 PM
Lol I'm a gnome and idc about iksar regen but yeah.

As far as gear goes getting some of those rings is a good idea ... 55hp 5ac ... They help a ton. But don't forget to save money for spells start costing about 4-7pp each at 20+ I believe so yeah.

loramin
04-07-2014, 12:39 PM
There's a very rabid (which doesn't make them correct) group of people here on the forums who believe the only way to play this game is the most min/max way possible. Since Iksar is the most min/max race for Necros AT LEVEL 60, that crowd has no sympathy for anyone who is more interested in getting to 60 quicker, or in playing a character who is slightly less powerful than they could be when/if they someday reach level 60.

Ignore them. Play whatever you want. And like I said, save at least a little money because there will be something (bags, spells, food ... well maybe not food, that's cheap, but you get the idea) that you'll want at level 30 or whenever and you'll be glad you didn't spend all the plat right away. Well, unless you get lucky and get given some more plat :)

loramin
04-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Also, since I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, you might want to check out the 1k twink guide in the wiki:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Ravager%27s_1k_Twink_Guide

Ravager
04-08-2014, 07:39 AM
Buy jewelry first if you want to "save" your plat in your items, that'll hold it's value. At your level, stack HP more than mana. You'll corpse run less. 2x Adamantite Bands = 150hp, which is essentially 7.5 levels of extra hp, for about 300p. Golden Jaded Bracelets will add another 1.5 levels of hp and about a level extra of mana for 60p.

I like Advisor Robe because it adds 20 mana, but also adds 5 Int, so that will continue to help your mana pool in your 30's and 40's and it also looks cool for a cheap robe.

650p will be a drop in the bucket of what you're going to make as a necro, so don't get too hung up on it. A necro can level on spells alone for quite some time anyway.

Right now you can kill wisps in NK and turn in the lightstones and greater lightstones for exp. http://wiki.project1999.com/Research_Aid The books the greater lightstones get you can be sold right back to the same merchant for 9-10p. Good exp to about 16. If you start now, you'll easily make a few hundred plat just leveling. If you do a little research and plan out a leveling path too, you can easily make 10-15k before level 30 solo while you level.

kain200
04-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Ravager I had a quick question about that research aid quest. I looked it up some and I see people on alla's comments talking about another gypsy in oasis that you can do the quest with. Also they say theres one in south ro for evils... are either of these options in p99? Or is the gypsy in NK the only way to do this quest? Also.. if the other two are in p99, then what are the faction requirements? I personally have a dark elf necro so i'm wanting to make sure which npc I need to go to for this quest before wasting my time travelling far and being dubious. Thank you anyone for replies, sorry to derail thread.

To OP... I personally would just toss out a few plat to get the flowing black robe. I have loved the look of that thing since the day I started eq when it opened in 99. Mine doesn't have one yet because i'm only level 7 and I have 6p 3g to my name haha! I haven't been as lucky as you with awesome people hooking me up. The FBR seems to go for around 100p... when I somehow get to that level of plat i'm going to buy one of those straightaway as long as my spell needs are taken care of first.

Ravager
04-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Ravager I had a quick question about that research aid quest. I looked it up some and I see people on alla's comments talking about another gypsy in oasis that you can do the quest with. Also they say theres one in south ro for evils... are either of these options in p99? Or is the gypsy in NK the only way to do this quest? Also.. if the other two are in p99, then what are the faction requirements? I personally have a dark elf necro so i'm wanting to make sure which npc I need to go to for this quest before wasting my time travelling far and being dubious. Thank you anyone for replies, sorry to derail thread.

To OP... I personally would just toss out a few plat to get the flowing black robe. I have loved the look of that thing since the day I started eq when it opened in 99. Mine doesn't have one yet because i'm only level 7 and I have 6p 3g to my name haha! I haven't been as lucky as you with awesome people hooking me up. The FBR seems to go for around 100p... when I somehow get to that level of plat i'm going to buy one of those straightaway as long as my spell needs are taken care of first.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Evil_Research

Turning them in in SRo is good for gaining some evil faction. I've never heard of one in Oasis, but I never looked into it. You can go to either one, they'll both be indifferent. I just prefer the NK one because there are a ton of wisps right there in zone, so you never have to go far for the hand-ins. Also, anyone can be bound at the gypsy camp, so it's a nice way to make plat and exp for any class/race.

Castigate
04-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Wow, I never knew about that Concordance of Research quest, seriously you should fill your bag slots with those and Book of Dark Bindings. Just having lots of bag space and looting a lot adds up quickly when you need money.
For the money you have now, get the 5ac 55hp rings, or an Adamantite Band/Platinum Skull Ring if you find them for around 100pp or less.
Shralok packs are also a good investment, although once you reach the level to farm them in HHP you should.
Also as a Human necro you can wear Flayed Skin stuff which you can find occasionally in EC for real cheap, although most people just vendor it.

Seriously though as a new player bags, weight management, and remembering to loot can be very important. They make all the difference between being broke all the time and unable to afford spells, and steadily gaining cash as you level while getting all your spells.

Ravager
04-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Shralok packs are also a good investment, although once you reach the level to farm them in HHP you should.
Also as a Human necro you can wear Flayed Skin stuff which you can find occasionally in EC for real cheap, although most people just vendor it.

Shralok packs can be farmed in Kithicor at level 13ish too, there's one spawn on the south wall I think that is never bothered by pathing undead mobs. Nice little 6 minute timer camp a lowbie can do. There's other spawns in zone too, but I never looked for them after finding this one. It's static too so it's nice.