PDA

View Full Version : places to farm in 20's?

falendar
04-07-2014, 11:33 AM
heya all been here just under two weeks and 26 now, trying to trying to find some places to farm for pp. tried lguk so far and the items just don't seem to sell very well. any idea's for a 26 monk to farm a few k?

Supaskillz
04-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Goblin ears, sisters in oot. The problem is these are popular camps.

My opinion is get experience then it's easier to get plat.

Supaskillz
04-07-2014, 11:54 AM
I guess you could quest a bunch of leather foot raider caps or farm absurd amounts of bone chips.

loramin
04-07-2014, 12:52 PM
There's a rule of (classic) Everquest, and that rule is that it is (almost) always faster to get experience, then get plat, than it is to get plat then get experience.

Here's the basic idea with slightly made up math (since I'm too lazy to look the real numbers up). Let's say you can earn 25p an hour at 20 (remember to count both grinding time and selling time). If you level to 30 you can then earn 50p an hour instead. That's twice as much.

Now let's say instead of leveling to 30 you spend all that time grinding and save up 1 or 2k. Heck maybe 3k (I don't remember exactly how long it takes to get from 20 to 30). Whatever you buy for 3k will NOT double the amount of experience you get. At best it will make you get XP 5% faster. At best.

And this basic trend continues all the way up, though it becomes less pronounced as you get closer to the end. Now of course you need some baseline gear (groups will look at you funny if you're a nekid level 20), but my point is the difference between crappy item #55 that drops off a mob you were killing for exp anyway, and expensive item #56 that you buy in the EC, is going to be VERY VERY small when it comes to your rate of XP gain.

So, while I really don't want to discourage your entrepreneurial urges or anything, you should just be aware that you're playing a losing game by trying to earn plat at low levels.

Nightbear
04-07-2014, 12:59 PM
I agree with XP>Plat. Even the difference in PP earned from 55-->60 is huge. If you are looking for some spending money you could farm Sharlok Bags. A weight reduction bag in Kithicor, have to be careful of night time though.

snoopiku
04-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Yea, what everyone else has said. You won't be farming big ticket items in the 20's and unless you get luck with some gem drops or something, you won't be make big money, and even those aren't amazing. I know I got lucky in OT for a bit on my 21 (at the time) monk and was getting tons of gems. Fire Agate, Ivory shards, etc. But even then, I only made 100pp - 150pp or so, but I was exping at the time so it was alright. I think Heart Spiders in upper guk also drop decent gems, but they won't get you exp most likely at 26. Best bet is to level, then farm. If you are an Iksar, hit up HHK at high 20s and kill guards. The vendors will sell to you, great for all the fine steel swords, and you can bank there with FD (maybe without). Great money that way.

baalzy
04-07-2014, 03:03 PM
1k pp will outfit any class well enough to get to level 40. 2x AC/HP rings and then some 100-300pp weapons + banded (or cured silk for monk) and you're set for any melee class. Rings + a weapon + some really cheap +hp/mana extra items for any caster based class.

At that point you will then start finding upgrades as you group or will be able to solo places that give more money to buy upgrades with to get you to 50. Once you're 50+ you can start to think about farming.

However, if you find enjoyment in making money as you level then you should feel free to do it. But if you're doing something specifically to make money and you're not getting xp, its likely not a good idea after that initial ~1k.

snoopiku
04-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Something you could farm would be: http://wiki.project1999.com/Iksar_Berserker_Club

It sells pretty good, 400-500pp, but the basement is bad if the badgers don't like you, and from what I understand its a pain in the ass spawn to camp, as people camp it very frequently. And like others, myself included, have mentioned, you should focus on getting exp, and it would be very limited in kurns at 26.

falendar
04-07-2014, 03:57 PM
thanks all, been way too long out of classic i thought maybe there were a few places that could yield decent xp and pp but i guess i will continue to focus on lvls.

snoopiku
04-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Could always check out the places in this guide: http://wiki.project1999.com/Ultimate_Leveling_While_Making_Money_Guide

While they are mostly camped as they are well known, its worth a shot.

Supaskillz
04-07-2014, 04:02 PM
thanks all, been way too long out of classic i thought maybe there were a few places that could yield decent xp and pp but i guess i will continue to focus on lvls.

The first two I mentioned are that. The two sisters drop spear worth 7pp or so each iirc, but it popular and in oot, so pursue at your own risk. Goblins may require group or partner in hhk, but players buy the ears to pwr lvl twinks or get faction. Both should be good xp. I may have lvl range wrong on oot sisters. Someone correct me if so.

If getting some upgrades sounds more interesting than continuing the xp grind there is no shame is sacrificing some efficiency to have fun.

Ravager
04-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Wooly Mammoths in Everfrost, blue to 32ish, they drop tusks that vendor for 10.5pp each. Vendor in zone. Goblins in Runnyeye drop fine steel, black iron, bronze, vendor and bank in zone if you're sneaky. Sol A goblins drop fine steel and smithing mats. Vendors in zone. Higher levels are better for farming, but that doesn't mean you can't make some plat while you exp. Every toon I've leveled I've made at least 10k by 30 just by exping in the right places, and it wasn't always slow exp either.

falendar
04-07-2014, 04:07 PM
cool cool thanks all for the suggestions :) not lookin to get rich, just grouping with alot of twinks and it's making me feel a bit gimp was gonna try and save up 3-5k and try and get a better weapon a few hp pieces.

Ravager
04-07-2014, 04:14 PM
Honestly, there really isn't a whole lot a monk needs to buy. Wu's staff for 100p, gloves for 50p and 5/55 rings for 500p and you're good to 50. I'd just as soon recommend you save your plat for when Velious launches in a couple months and maybe get some better deals for the same gear you'd spend 3-5k on now. That's just my opinion though, others might disagree.

I would recommend spending 5k on a tink bag though. Those are always useful and you really can't lose money on them.

loramin
04-07-2014, 04:18 PM
just grouping with alot of twinks and it's making me feel a bit gimp

You can think of it that way, or you can think of it as "they're power leveling you" (they're spending money on gear, and you're not, but you're getting the benefit of their gear because your group is gaining XP faster). If you look at it that way, the longer you can go without wasting time earning plat the more you "win" (because, as I explained, the later you earn plat the more plat you earn).

Archistopheles
04-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Every toon I've leveled I've made at least 10k by 30 just by exping in the right places, and it wasn't always slow exp either.

I was feeling pretty good about myself at 26 until I read this. I've got less than 1k to my name.

Ravager
04-08-2014, 09:24 PM
I was feeling pretty good about myself at 26 until I read this. I've got less than 1k to my name.

Ravager's make plat while you level guide:
----------------------------------------
Levels 1-5 Deliver Mail (2-10 gold per delivery, plus good exp)
Levels 1-5 Pixie Tricksters in GFay (drop gems, some vendor for 2 plat)
Levels 1-5 Giant Wasps in GFay (drop poison sacks frequently 3g each)
Levels 6-10 Black Bear, Brown Bear (HQ Bear Skins sell 20pp each, always in demand)
Levels 10-16 Willowisps in NK (drop Lightstones and Greater Lightstones, can be turned in for exp as well as a book that sells for about 9.5pp to vendors)
Levels 10-13 Minotaur Slavers in Steamfont (drop gems and axes that vendor for a few plat)
Levels 15-18 Bandits/Sisters in Lesser Faydark (drop bronze weapons that vendor for several plat)
**I hear the WK bandits are good for bronze too, but I never tried them, I'm an elf at heart and bring my toons that way to level, even the evil ones.
Levels 19-24 Aviak Guards in Lake Rathe (drop bronze and gems)
Levels 19-26 Gargoyles in Ocean of Tears (Big money maker, drop eyes that stack and vendor for 9.5pp each. If you level here from 19-26 or so, whenever they turn green, you'll easily make 3-5K while these are blue)
20-30 Runnyeye 2nd floor (drop bronze, fine steel and black iron armor)
20-25 Hermit in South Karana (2 minute timer, drops fine steel)
23-32 Wooly Mammoths in Everfrost (drop tusks that vendor for 10.5pp each, you'll easily make 3-5k+ on these while they're blue)
28-35 Gnolls in South Karana (drop fine steel)
35-40 Guards at North Karana Tower and Towers in West Karana(if you're evil, or don't care about human faction, drop fine steel)
35-40 Is hard otherwise, if anyone has any suggestions.
40-45 Hill Giants wherever you can find them (drop plat, fine steel and gems)
45-50 Spectres (drop gems and scythes)
45-50 Feerott Ogre Guards (drop fine steel)
51+ Seafuries if you can manage it, otherwise you'll make more plat grouping in high level dungeons or camping crap.

I'm a few beers deep, otherwise I might not have taken the time to type this.

Ravager
04-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Also, there's a lot of lower level camps of items that are always in demand that you can do on the way to supplement your income: Fishbone Earring, Shralok Packs, Shiny Brass Idol, Lion-Hide Backpack, Resist Earrings, Ring of Shadows, Red Wood Wand, Bracer of the Hidden, Glowing Black Stone, Goblin Ghazugi Ring and I'm sure there's even more I'm forgetting.

Clark
04-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Shouldn't be worried about farming until 40+

Xp > all

BarackObooma
04-09-2014, 11:30 PM
What they said is the general rule of thumb and is true in most cases.

But what if Barack Obooma could steer you towards a mob that:

1) Is level 25 and will be dark blue to you for several levels. Have your cake and eat it too!
2) Has a respawn time of 7-10 minutes
3) Spawns in one place. He does roam but once you've killed him once, you can sit on the spot.
4) Drops high level gems and jewelry up to and including ruby crowns (197pp vendor), Diamonds (2k), black sapphires (3k), etc. and also drops level 49 research pages/runes! No heavy loot to carry around.
5) Drops up to about 8pp in coin.
6) Is in Kunark so if you're an Iksar, it would be handy? If you're human, you're pretty close to FV.

He's a fun slot machine. Try it out for a day or two and see what you think. You may not get a black sapphire or diamond but you might.

I killed him about 20x to see what he was like and got two ruby crowns, a fire emerald ring and a couple other things. Expect 3/4 of the time to get just coin or green frog skin/froglok blood/froglok meat.

Who is this mystery mob?

http://wiki.project1999.com/Soblohg

Your welcome!