PDA

View Full Version : Best exp while duo bard/rog

Donruss
04-08-2014, 07:43 PM
I have been reading about how experience works. I understand that my lvl21 rog may have less exp points than the lvl20 bard I group with. What lvl should the rog be vs. the bard for maximum exp?

He is also kinda the tank so things con high to him compared to me... Makes it kinda tough if our lvls get too far apart.

Or am I being stupid and we would get the best exp at the same lvl?

radditsu
04-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Doesnt matter. Kill things. Worrying about level minutae is incredibly silly

Donruss
04-08-2014, 07:56 PM
I understand. I am a lvl59 druid and 54 monk. My buddy and I are just going to kill stuff no matter what our lvl. However, I am curious about how this technically works.

Donruss
04-08-2014, 07:57 PM
I understand. I am a lvl59 druid and 54 monk. My buddy and I are just going to kill stuff no matter what our lvl. However, I am curious about how this technically works. I have been reading game mechanics and it is making me interested.

Donruss
04-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Whoops. Double post.

Sorry, new to the forum

baalzy
04-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Stay within a level or two of each other (erring on the rogue being higher) if you want the xp gains to be more 'equal'. You still want to be near the same level though because you'll want the bard to be able to land his snare/fear on the mobs you're fighting so you can backstab them with impunity.

Mirana
04-09-2014, 12:39 PM
I have been reading about how experience works. I understand that my lvl21 rog may have less exp points than the lvl20 bard I group with. What lvl should the rog be vs. the bard for maximum exp?

I'm going to explain how I believe it works, please correct me if I'm wrong.

The total amount of experience the two of you get from a mob will not change with your relative level. The only difference will be what percentage of the mob's exp each of you get. The game divides a mobs exp up between players based on how much experience each character has earned in their life. This strategy takes into account level differences. For example... if a level 55 has earned 4x the experience of a level 50, when they group the level 55 will get 80% of the exp for the mob.

Let's do an example, at the same level. Let's also assume that it takes a total of 1 million exp to reach level 20 on a character with no penalties or bonuses
The rogue has no penalties or bonuses. He has a standard 100% modifier. He has earned 1 million exp in his life.
The bard has a 40% penalty. He has a 140% modifier. He has earned 1.4 million exp in his life
If the mob was to grant 1000 exp, the bard would get
(1,400,000/2,400,000)*1000 = 583 exp
The rogue would get
(1,000,000/2,400,000)*1000 = 417 exp

Now let's say the bard was level 22 and the rogue was level 20. Let me pull some numbers out of my bum. The bard has now earned 1.6 million exp. Again, if a mob grants 1000 exp:
the bard would get
(1,600,000/2,600,000)*1000 = 615 exp
The rogue would get 385 exp.

So, the rogue get's less exp if the bard is higher level. But, the bard requires more exp. So to determine at what rate (percentage) each of you would level at, you would need to look at the experience required to level and do a bit of math. Experience tables can be found in the wiki under game mechanics.

Velerin
04-09-2014, 01:33 PM
I always wondered how that all factors in if the mobs are light blue to the higher level but dark blue to the lower level. The higher level gets very low exp because it's light blue but I've noticed the low level still gets pretty decent gain. Does the light blue still give XX exp but if its light blue there is some kind of total exp penalty for the higher lvl?

Donruss
04-09-2014, 03:18 PM
I guess my op should have asked what lvl the characters should be to get the most EQUAL experience.... Aahhh I see

Swish
04-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Shouldn't be hard for the bard to hold aggro, you'll be fine... I guess you'll both have bandages to help with the resto song :p

Donruss
04-09-2014, 06:35 PM
He has iksar BP too :)

I am really excited about this unique duo. We did the classic druid/necro first. This one is a little more creative