PDA

View Full Version : Monster Mode

Blade
04-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Anyone remember monster mode? You could log in as a random moss snake, or other newbie zone creatures, and fight against real newbies. There was no indicator that a mob was an NPC or real person. It was amazing circle strafing newbs as a Decaying Skeleton.

This was VERY brief, and most people I talk to don't remember it, almost to the point that I think maybe it never existed and I'm retarded.

Thulack
04-11-2014, 06:59 PM
http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:EQLive_Timeline

Project M on the list.

Voland
04-11-2014, 07:53 PM
http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:EQLive_Timeline

Project M on the list.

Neat, since Project M was between Velious and Luclin, maybe we'll get to see it here :)

Tikker
04-11-2014, 07:56 PM
it was pretty fun from time to time

Vidar
04-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Anyone remember monster mode? You could log in as a random moss snake, or other newbie zone creatures, and fight against real newbies. There was no indicator that a mob was an NPC or real person. It was amazing circle strafing newbs as a Decaying Skeleton.

This was VERY brief, and most people I talk to don't remember it, almost to the point that I think maybe it never existed and I'm retarded.

I remember this. Good times. I would like to see this again.

phacemeltar
04-11-2014, 08:00 PM
was there a monster chat channel? could be fun in zones like crushbone.

SamwiseRed
04-11-2014, 08:05 PM
was there a monster chat channel? could be fun in zones like crushbone.

no you couldnt communicate with other players. what i would do is jump up and down or act weird so that other mob players would team up with me.

Portasaurus
04-11-2014, 08:25 PM
oh man this sounds amazing

SamwiseRed
04-11-2014, 08:26 PM
the best part was that you could level up. i got a few level 1-3 mobs up to 5 or 6. owning newbs like it was noone business.

Scrubosaur
04-11-2014, 08:46 PM
I always wondered if that "accident" was an early test of monster missions.

Lartanin63
04-11-2014, 08:47 PM
I remember a giant orc zerg on kelethin. Like a river crashing against a stonewall. Damn you Guard Fayfear damn you.

SamwiseRed
04-11-2014, 08:47 PM
wasnt an accident it was just too OP. new players had no chance against a leveled mob with a brain

Fame
04-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Red only feature pls

Kekephee
04-11-2014, 08:55 PM
the best part was that you could level up. i got a few level 1-3 mobs up to 5 or 6. owning newbs like it was noone business.

yeeeeee invincible skeleton in noob zone rampage

Lojik
04-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Best was getting to play a low level shaman monster. Blinding newbies in guk was soooo fun, watching them run around and get lost.

HawkMasterson1999
04-11-2014, 09:05 PM
I was just thinking about this the other day. I thought I was alone. If I remember on live this only lasted for a week or 2 and there was a really long time period you had to wait before you could spawn again. I never spawned as anything higher than lvl 3. If it gets implemented here I would recommend some kind of code that prevents players from charming and buffing pc monsters or it will just be a grief fest that keeps noobs off the server

Ambrotos
04-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Monster mode was the best feature that was on live that was for fun. Would love to play it here and kill players non stop.

Rika
04-11-2014, 09:16 PM
While I've never been in to PvP, I absolutely LOVED this when it came out. I remember running around as a Kobold killing Erudins. Sooo looking forward to this if it comes :D

Rhambuk
04-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Project M was a blast, didn't use it too much but it was a lot of fun.

Would be amazing here if possible

Tasslehofp99
04-11-2014, 09:53 PM
I'd play project M over r99

Rhambuk
04-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Project M server would easily be more than triple Reds population. Knowing that alone makes me smile.

Weekapaug
04-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Was cool.

The permadeath server deal they did sounded pretty cool too but I didn't get a chance to check it out before they closed it.

Rhambuk
04-11-2014, 10:22 PM
ha never heard of the pdeath server, that sounds awful for eq

Weekapaug
04-11-2014, 10:59 PM
It was something like when you die you start over at level 1 but with all of your gear. The point was to see who could go the farthest without dying. Wasn't intended to be a long term thing, just to see how people would do. I think a guy made it into the upper 30s.

phacemeltar
04-11-2014, 11:13 PM
i hope there is a classic EQ server for at least another hundred years

Rhambuk
04-11-2014, 11:20 PM
It was something like when you die you start over at level 1 but with all of your gear. The point was to see who could go the farthest without dying. Wasn't intended to be a long term thing, just to see how people would do. I think a guy made it into the upper 30s.

oh i do remember it now, yeah it was just to see who could be the last man standing kind of deal. cool idea though id start a new server like this just for laughs, even make it red!

Bardalicious
04-11-2014, 11:36 PM
Project M was very short duration. There were a ton of bugs iirc.

ha never heard of the pdeath server, that sounds awful for eq

That was The Discord server which was a promo for Gates of Discord expansion obviously. Only ran for a few weeks or so. The server concept was actually a ton of fun, xp was boosted substantially to offset getting put back to level 1 on death. Unfortunately it was a nightmare to play on once the hackers started flooding in with the use of a pretty popular offset trainer that was making the rounds back then. A decent number of people were still using dial up back then too and would pull the phone cord to warp/ghost to safety if they started losing.

It could be a TON of fun if they decided to host a server like that here with the anti-hacking measures they've developed, just as a couple week or month long promo or something.

Rhambuk
04-12-2014, 12:17 AM
i could definitely see our devs implementing these features once velious is done and the server is caught up to luclin.

would be a nice break from the 6-7 year grind, i can't believe the servers been out for 5 already!, to make some "throwaway" servers where they wouldn't have to do any csr or bs just make the server and let us run to the last man.

Buellen
04-12-2014, 12:42 AM
Loved project M. most of the monsters i spawned where all in newby ground and you would quickly get killed by PC. The one i enjoyed the most was a Lizard shamy i got to spawn as once in Rathe mountains. I level that thing to level 6 before a higher level toon found me in the paly area and killed me while i was fighting a skeleton.

Corro
04-12-2014, 12:43 AM

Yep I remember this clearly. I was Wikybus Bastard the gnome mage who made it to lvl 41. It was PVP FFA, if you died the person who killed you could loot all your items except for no drop items. It was a great time and definitely kept you on your toes because no matter how you died you became level 1.

The discord server, I remember it coming out in roughly the winter of 2003.

Blade
04-12-2014, 12:47 AM
If I loaded into Monster Mode and ended up a fucking Kobold in Toxxulia i'd rage.

My fondest memory is rolling around as a Moss Snake in WFP. I met another moss snake, and we started cruisin together like bosses. We happened across another moss snake, and then another, and eventually there was about 8-10 moss snakes and 1 skelly (someone didnt get the fuckin memo). We'd roll up to level 1-2 chars and just stare at them (because you can't talk) with our blank moss snake gaze, and the player knew what was up. We were kings amongst moss snakes, legends were written about us that day. Then we met a level 3 Ranger with a rusty Halberd and we tried scrambling for our lives, but it was a massacre. Every 4.9 seconds, a brother was lost. Some of us tried jumping up and down, as it was our only form of communication, but the Ranger was filled with blood lust.

Rhambuk
04-12-2014, 12:59 AM
We were kings amongst moss snakes, legends were written about us that day. Then we met a level 3 Ranger with a rusty Halberd and we tried scrambling for our lives, but it was a massacre. Every 4.9 seconds, a brother was lost. Some of us tried jumping up and down, as it was our only form of communication, but the Ranger was filled with blood lust.

ha great share

Rika
04-12-2014, 01:00 AM
I met another moss snake, and we started cruisin together like bosses. We happened across another moss snake, and then another, and eventually there was about 8-10 moss snakes and 1 skelly (someone didnt get the fuckin memo). We'd roll up to level 1-2 chars and just stare at them (because you can't talk) with our blank moss snake gaze, and the player knew what was up.

Lmfao. You should start writing fan fiction from the NPCs PoV.

Sidelle
04-12-2014, 01:20 AM
If I loaded into Monster Mode and ended up a fucking Kobold in Toxxulia i'd rage.

My fondest memory is rolling around as a Moss Snake in WFP. I met another moss snake, and we started cruisin together like bosses. We happened across another moss snake, and then another, and eventually there was about 8-10 moss snakes and 1 skelly (someone didnt get the fuckin memo). We'd roll up to level 1-2 chars and just stare at them (because you can't talk) with our blank moss snake gaze, and the player knew what was up. We were kings amongst moss snakes, legends were written about us that day. Then we met a level 3 Ranger with a rusty Halberd and we tried scrambling for our lives, but it was a massacre. Every 4.9 seconds, a brother was lost. Some of us tried jumping up and down, as it was our only form of communication, but the Ranger was filled with blood lust.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpn6ugCvr81r0q7lwo1_500.jpg

Sarajo
04-12-2014, 01:55 AM

http://replygif.net/i/538.gif
Laughing so effing hard, thank you for that

I never did Project M, because I found EQ confusing enough back in those days. I was circle-strafing skeletons while clicking them rapidly because I came from HL-TFC and thought that was how you hit them more while getting hit less.
But the Discord server, 'doe... that was hilarious and fun. There's a cute little perma-death MMO out there called Realm of the Mad God, where you get fame depending on how much you accomplished in your 20 levels, and you can spend fame on stuff for your alts, but death comes to all, in time. That's what Discord reminds me of; you spent your time running for your life, because people were everywhere in the starting areas, and when you died someone was always waiting by the bank to inspect and /laugh at your new level 1.
Also, you had 30 minutes before your old corpse poofed. If you were lucky (?) enough to die to a mob, you could at least go get your bronze gear back if you made it back to Unrest or whatever in 30 minutes.
I had this idea that maybe the whole thing was a big hacker trap, since it brought so many together in one place for the first time, but I don't think a single ban resulted from discord server. Oh, SoE....

Blade
04-12-2014, 02:01 AM
...and when you died someone was always waiting by the bank to inspect and /laugh at your new level 1.

Everquest in a nutshell.

Nastinate
04-12-2014, 02:09 AM
I recall monster mode. was so badass me and a friend figeured out if u spawned with a 2 hander u hit harder it was pretty OP. so wed just keep making new chars till we were both in CB with 2handers (take maybe an hour)then wed all team up and wipe the zone. was so great.

Jimjam
04-13-2014, 03:09 AM
Project M was ace, on test server it wasn't properly implemented at first and you could be a monster in any zone, not just newbies.

I think the implementation of Project M would be the best place for the time line to stop (so it will never be removed :D).

Khaleesi
04-13-2014, 06:24 AM

You could tell whom was a person because of all the silly circle straffing and erratic movement/behavior.

Given the hostile attitudes here, I'd rather not see this implemented and if people want to be monsters, go play LOTRO (or just play RED - monster pun in there, figure it out).

phacemeltar
04-13-2014, 08:32 AM
can someone get sirken on this?

Champion_Standing
04-13-2014, 10:48 AM
If it was before luclin it needs to be implemented, its classic.

Buellen
04-14-2014, 12:49 AM
Shrouds now i know the pitchforks will come out ITS NOT CLASSIC! RAAAHHHHH.

Shroud if they ever could be figured to work on emulators , are dam fun and they are perfect for our time line with some adjustments. need a healer visit local shroud guy turn into a healer shroud you have discovered. etc etc etc.

Clark
04-14-2014, 01:40 AM
Haha monster mode was fun. Haven't thought of that in quite some time.

RhodesRage1976
04-14-2014, 02:15 AM

hahaha love it!

Yardcore
04-14-2014, 01:47 PM
50 Moss-snakes raid on one poor soul in EC lol!

Yardcore
04-14-2014, 01:49 PM

I loled!

Great story.

Halius
04-14-2014, 05:40 PM

Lol awesome.

I remember this before it was only newbie zones. I spawned as a sand scarab in Nro and had a lot of fun fighting PCs. I totally forgot about this until I saw this thread.

Glasken
04-15-2014, 05:01 PM
I remember getting randomed as a skeleton in NK. Opened up the inventory and saw: level 5 warrior. Ran around for hours trying to stay alive. Regening hp mostly =P

Nubben
04-15-2014, 05:13 PM
Project M was awesome. I really wish this feature stuck around and got expanded on a bit. Unfortunately, the general rule seemed to be the cooler the monster you spawned as, the more remote location you were in. The best mob I got was a shaman Kerran in Kerra Isle, which obviously encountered 0 players, and I eventually decided to try to level it a bit and died to my own Kerran brethren.

The next coolest mob I got was a mad man in South Ro, but again, never got to see any PC's. This one I did get to kill some mobs with though.

I only specifically remember getting one actual player kill in Project M, I was a puma in North Ro and stalked some low level player soloing coyotes and crap. I followed him around hiding behind the dunes for like 15-20 minutes waiting for him to get low enough on health for me to spring out and finish him off.

Blade
04-15-2014, 05:45 PM
You would have been an amazing addition to my Moss Snake legion. You could have replaced that asshole decaying skeleton who just shambled around and cackled.

skorge
04-15-2014, 07:36 PM
yea I remember this, what was funny was some high level (he didnt know I was playing the skele) gave me a weighted axe...lol...i was hitting for noobs for 20 damage