PDA

View Full Version : How many people played on Fippy Darkpaw or Vulak?

Overthrow
04-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Was wondering if I'd see any familiar faces in P1999 from the Fippy Darkpaw server. Played on Fippy myself from release to Velious then from LDoN to PoR. Anyone else play Fippy or Vulak for awhile?

mtb tripper
04-12-2014, 05:25 PM
I played Fippy around launch, forgot my toons name though. Was a half elf paladin

Laugher
04-12-2014, 05:26 PM
I played Fippy in Omens era, was a 65 rng named Samhain last I played

was usually grouped with Bulldang and Kugbok in AC inner during my last while there hehe

fastboy21
04-12-2014, 05:26 PM
played on vulak from launch through GoD/OoW.

Overthrow
04-12-2014, 05:36 PM
I played Davine, DE Cleric, was in Citizen for quite awhile.

Blade
04-12-2014, 05:37 PM
I was a 60 Bard named Freddi Mercury on Fippy during the early days.

Superranger
04-12-2014, 06:35 PM
Nadrok ''some surname i cant rememeber'' Shaman , was in Darkblood and quit during kunark

jarinaEQ1
04-13-2014, 01:49 AM
Fippy Darkpaw from start and kunark and stopped (computer failure and race for unlock bored me) : jarina

Laugher
04-13-2014, 03:19 AM
I was a 60 Bard named Freddi Mercury on Fippy during the early days.

Now thats a cool name :p

Sifka71
04-13-2014, 05:07 AM
I played a rogue called Yazra up until Velious. I was in Rosengard.
I made a Yazra here too (level 21), but right now I am relaxing with a druid called Sifka and am having tons of fun with that :)
I see a couple of names in this thread I remember :)

fadetree
04-13-2014, 08:12 AM
I was on Fippy.

Trosh
04-13-2014, 10:17 AM
I played fippy from the start of Luclin thru PoP, but the number of players and raid farming super guilds got old super fast.. I think if they had had the exp modifier like on 99 (meaning you can't hit 60 in 2 weeks) it would have been cooler

Zotok
04-13-2014, 12:41 PM
I played on Fippy from Luclin through TSS. Played a beastlord named Zotok in Midnight Pyre.

Flamewraith
04-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Played on fippy from release to velious. Was a Druid named Goryn Bearclaw. Started out in runestorm buy husband wife guilds always suck :p Went to darkblood a few months later. Quit due to all the blatant cheating.

Nuggie
04-13-2014, 04:04 PM
I played a delf cleric with dead halfling society very early on in one of the progression servers. I didn't last long, rl kept getting in the way.

falendar
04-13-2014, 05:49 PM
i still play on fippy in darkblood.

pharmakos
04-14-2014, 09:54 AM
i played on Vulak from like Velious through PoP.... was in <Syrian Drauka> for a bit.

Krovax
04-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Played Vulak until end of PoP as Krovax DE Cleric.

Pent Magick
04-14-2014, 11:11 AM
I played on Fippy as a cleric named Pent Magick, I was in the guild <Austerity>

I've been goofing off for about a week on 1999, but my play time is super limited.

~Pent

Faisca
04-14-2014, 11:24 AM
I played for a little while on Vulak with my gnome wizzy, named Faisca obvioulsy, and was in a friendly guild named <Golden Age> or something like that.

Wecoan
04-14-2014, 12:06 PM
First Rogue to 50 on Fippy, only made it to Kunark before my RL circumstances changed though. Halfling Rogue - Vladimoir (with 14.55% bonus xp who wouldnt be first?)

August
04-14-2014, 12:50 PM
I played Fippy

Tomtee - enchanter in <Citizen>, also known for my JC services
Amaruq - my second account that sold my jewelry while I went out and actually played
Lich - my necro (sweet name eh) that I played

Rogean
04-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Combine server was where it was at.

Nirgon
04-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Dat Fabled Solusek Ro

August
04-14-2014, 01:50 PM

I was August on Combine. my good buddy was Susurrus, who was the first 50 monk. He did polyphasic sleep cycles and effectively played for 2 weeks straight.

Rogean
04-14-2014, 01:51 PM
I was August on Combine. my good buddy was Susurrus, who was the first 50 monk. He did polyphasic sleep cycles and effectively played for 2 weeks straight.

If it took him 2 weeks to get to 50, he wasn't the first.

First level 50's were only 2-3 days after server opened.

August
04-14-2014, 02:00 PM

Apparently we were on 'The Sleeper' and not the Combine. memory is getting fuzzy. From an old message board in 2010:

As an avid player of the last progression server (I was August there if you played!!!) I can tell you that NO ONE will hit 50 in 24 hours. My best friend was the first 50 monk on The Sleeper (Susurrus) and how did he do it? : He did polyphasic sleep cycles. That's right, for 8 days he slept 20 minutes every 4 hours, going AFK for 20 in a group andp romising to come back in 20 minutes. He was always grouped, and it still took him over a week.Even then, when the progression server lurched to Kunark, and I was playing 'casually' (stupid jobs get in the way) I only hit 50 literally the day before the server unlocked the next xpac -- and I was definitely on the more 'hardcore' end. In fact, that's why the progression server started tanking, all the xpac was unlocked before the majority of the people could even get max level.

The defiant loot was not in the progression server. There WAS some quests/instancing that was forgotten about, but as soon as it was revealed, it got shut down. The biggest detractors is that some zones that shouldnt be there, like Jaggedpine Forest, were, and the loot that dropped from there was a tad overpowering for classic (but not Kunark). However, I am ultimately grateful that it was there because the hunting spots at the 40+ range are extremely limited, and lguk and solb aren't enough space, so jaggedpine got a lot of action out of the community.

Ultimately, the biggest thing to be worried about is that one guild will own all the content. Getting to 50 will be great, but I imagine the planes will be on lockdown by an uber guild, and so if you want to experience the joys of PoH/PoF/PoSky you'll have to either join up or hope they get bored of it/both planes pop at the same time and they can't cover two bases.

I left in irrelevant stuff because it's fun to see that I remember one guild owning content on The Sleeper as well :)

Porcoa
04-14-2014, 02:47 PM
I played briefly on Fippy. I boxed a Sham/Mage named Sooth Sayer and Magick Malpractice. Only got to level 30 or so then got burnt out.

bucka
04-14-2014, 04:36 PM
nasbus - mage on combine and fippy

Loto
04-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Played on Fippy Darkpaw from Launch til mid Kunark, then a little more in Velious and Luclin.

3rd bard to 50, behind Tullian and Sirene. Twisted Legion 2nd round of apps. Server first on Key of Veeshan, Denon's Horn of Disaster and Ervaj's Flute of Flight. Was at (and lost with Armageddon) server first for Nagafen. Was at (and won) server first for Eye of Veeshan, Sev and Trak.

The server took a huge hit playerwise when Anonymous crippled SoE for over a month. Absolutely trashed the core player base.

Was a LOT of fun though.

Loto
04-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Innoruuk poopsock between TL and Citizen, mediated by a GM.

http://s24.postimg.org/sq7ma8aat/EQ000105.png

falendar
04-14-2014, 09:30 PM

i was weeone on combine rogean not sure if you remember me or not lol.

Millburn
04-14-2014, 09:32 PM
I played on Fippy from release to a little after Velious. Played an Erudite Wizzy name Favonius Funk in ION.

Giren
04-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Currently play on Fippy in darkblood with Falendar. Name Stehlik

Loke
04-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Me and some friends from Progression (combine) and here formed Twisted Legion, but I quit during classic because that server sucked. Came back to P99 because Sony doesn't know how to Everquest.

Olympia
04-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Me and some friends from Progression (combine) and here formed Twisted Legion, but I quit during classic because that server sucked. Came back to P99 because Sony doesn't know how to Everquest.

TL as well. Think I was the second 50 cleric and third mage, but I didn't cheat like most of the people did. Quit in classic after all the server firsts because the server was lame.

edit: oh, a Loke

Lartanin63
04-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Played on Fippy for awhile. Had a ranger. Was fun while it lasted.

Goobles
04-15-2014, 01:15 AM
Anyone who played on Vulak in the beginning should know this video that I made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEWXGfXRhBo

Terric
04-29-2014, 01:26 AM
I played on fippy was in TL.

Valoril
04-29-2014, 10:17 AM
Played on Fippy from release to Luclin.
Had a Gnome Mage in <Austerity> but forgot the name.
Had an absolute blast from release to Kunark - hundreds of people in each zone, groups everywhere, plenty of fun at all hours.

Unfortunately the damn hardcore raiding guilds ruined everything by rushing to unlock the next expansion as fast as possible.
80% of players who were there to enjoy the ride , wanted to stay a long time in Kunark and didn't give a f... for raids were not voting and unable to unite to vote AGAINST unlocking next expansions so everything went down the drain.
The numbers crashed, at Velious there was hardly the half left, with Luclin only the large guilds were still there and that's when I left too.

Today's Fippy is just a pale shade of what it was in Kunark and in all aspects is quivalent to any ultralow pop server on Live.

August
04-29-2014, 11:39 AM
Played on Fippy from release to Luclin.
Had a Gnome Mage in <Austerity> but forgot the name.
Had an absolute blast from release to Kunark - hundreds of people in each zone, groups everywhere, plenty of fun at all hours.

Unfortunately the damn hardcore raiding guilds ruined everything by rushing to unlock the next expansion as fast as possible.
80% of players who were there to enjoy the ride , wanted to stay a long time in Kunark and didn't give a f... for raids were not voting and unable to unite to vote AGAINST unlocking next expansions so everything went down the drain.
The numbers crashed, at Velious there was hardly the half left, with Luclin only the large guilds were still there and that's when I left too.

Today's Fippy is just a pale shade of what it was in Kunark and in all aspects is quivalent to any ultralow pop server on Live.

In all fairness, it wasn't the hardcore guilds.

Three exploits ruined the economy

1) Alchemy (buy mats, combine for insane profit to sell back to vendor)
2) Fire Opals - purchaseable for 44pp, combined vendor prices had them @ 55pp so there was ~11pp profit per ring combine straight from the vendor
3) Eggs - some stupid item that shouldn't be in the game that 'laid eggs' that sold for insane PP

After exploited plat flooded the economy (we're talking FBSS is sitting at ~5k because it's only a month in and 5k is a ton of money - now it's a 25k item) , Anonymous hacked Sony and brought the game down for 3 weeks.

So, devaluing currency + forced 'no play' time is really what killed Fippy - I was there before and after the shutdown and it was definitely a ghost town once the servers went backu p. Raid guilds voted to go quickly, that's true, but the time-lock was longer than Combine/Sleeper, and by the time we were back and running it was mainly the people who were pixel-hungry that came back.

Rogean
04-29-2014, 11:44 AM
Yea Fippy's timelock was nothing compared to Combine.

Combine definitely seemed like the most successful progression server though. The later ones have had so many changes from the recent expansions that broke everything. New features/mechanics/etc. You didn't see SK HT Macroquest death squads on Combine. We actually had to gear up for a week to beat Avatar of War. Still made it to Plane of Time in 14 days though.

The population on Combine remained well into Planes of Power though. Shortly after Gates of Discord we saw the dropoff, but I'd say there was still a good population when I left during Depths of Darkhollow. Better than what sounds like a ghost town on the other progression servers.

Some of the changes I did enjoy on Combine - Obviously every progression server has had the revamped discipline system (Not like here where everything is on one timer). And we had out of combat regen starting in Velious on Combine (when TSS? was released and it was implemented globally), which later progression servers didn't have. This was more of a quality of life mechanic that just made raid prep much easier.

August
04-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Major problem I had with Combine/Sleeper was the items that were non-classic being implemented at the beginning. The one earring that could level up that you got from diong the instanced-Fippy quest in Qeynos comes to mind.

Also the drops from Jaggedpine Forest were a bit whack, if I remember correctly.

The one thing that was implemented (on both) that I wouldn't mind seeing here (someday, cross your fingers, whatever won't happen) is focus effects being implemented on items. There's no way to really *twink* out a caster in classic timeline - more HP, more mana, but nothing affects spell potency, cast time, mana cost, etc. Enabling items to make you cast faster (equiv to a haste item), hit harder (equiv to +STR), and in general beef up your abilities as a caster was a large incentive to roll that necro or mage.

/wish off

caleros
04-29-2014, 01:41 PM
Combine server was really really great but fast as fuck, we got to velious after like 2-3 months. So many great memories though, Server firsting naggy, Vox and being in the only guild that killed all the VP dragons was sweet. When velious opened we got absolutely crushed and snap quit.... which is why I like P99 because you get to progress at a rate where you actually get to play the expansions, I mean we'll be able to play velious for years.

There was definitely big advantages to having the spell effects still on items. like Spell Haste 2 on Djarn's ring I think was a big one. Also that Qeynos Earring of Death you had to level was hilarious.

Here's my screenshots from that era: http://imgur.com/a/j2q83

Kind of wonder why I didn't take more from the classic era /shrug

August
04-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Djarn's Ring was godly - it was that or a SMR for spell haste 2 - don't think 3 was in game at that point

BAM was Mana Cons II.
PMM was improved damage II - white dragonscale cloak was ID 3.

Also I believe the upgraded hate was in at the beginning? Made some classes way too easy to gear up.

caleros
04-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Ya the 2nd floor stuff was dropping like druid BP's that have right click regrowth of the grove, and there was that warrior 2h weapon that had like velious DPS. Warrior agro was real easy with Berate though also double red-blades locked it up. This server is like cheesemode agro with puppet strings and midnight mallets.

Rogean
04-29-2014, 02:18 PM
lol GM took away all of our Vorshar items, but didn't do anything about pohate crap.

caleros
04-29-2014, 09:04 PM
man RoI farmed vorshar so hard, when FoH found out like 2-3 weeks later we started competing for it and then the GM's so easily retro-deleted all of the items but completely didnt bother fixing anything else. Those items were real silly though. Felt like every CSR that handled that server had absolutely no idea how to play everquest.

Dragonmist
04-29-2014, 09:52 PM
I played Combine until RoI blazed through it super fast.

Then I played Vulak from 2 weeks after launch through Mayong Mistmoore had Demi on farm and 2.5 epics got mine and quit shortly after before next expansion unlocked.

Zoesha
04-29-2014, 09:57 PM
I was the guild leader of Revelations but we later merged with another guild (forget the name) on Fippy Darkpaw. I quit when Twisted Legion was clearing expansions within a few weeks and the expansions were dropping to quickly for casuals to enjoy the game.

Overthrow
04-29-2014, 09:59 PM
I remember a few of you, Tomtee, I remember you while I was Citizen. Loto, I remember you briefly for the beginning of Kunark and I think you were in Arma when I was there for a brief stint before they disbanded right after kunark. I remember seeing you in TL for a little bit. I also remember seeing Terric around too for awhile.

Major problem I had with Combine/Sleeper was the items that were non-classic being implemented at the beginning. The one earring that could level up that you got from diong the instanced-Fippy quest in Qeynos comes to mind.

This was a problem on Fippy too. It was super easy to level with EXP pots and Double EXP bonus weekends along with the fact that non-classic items were already obtainable. For me the Darkmetal Falchion comes to mind for my SK. 27/29 1HS in classic.

In all fairness, it wasn't the hardcore guilds.

Three exploits ruined the economy

1) Alchemy (buy mats, combine for insane profit to sell back to vendor)
2) Fire Opals - purchaseable for 44pp, combined vendor prices had them @ 55pp so there was ~11pp profit per ring combine straight from the vendor
3) Eggs - some stupid item that shouldn't be in the game that 'laid eggs' that sold for insane PP

I agree with some of that but I feel like that mixed with Shadowknights harm-touch being broken so you could literally eliminate the need for any other class. Guilds were leveling groups of Shadowknights just to harm touch the shit out of any target that spawned. One time trak spawned and was dead within 5 seconds, I think he was dead before he even hit the ground from popping. That mixed with rampant cheating, and the auto HT option of MQ that guilds were using and lack of care from staff ruined a lot of players experience. I quit for awhile after I got bored because Citizen and TL were sitting on targets with a total of 8 SK's on both sides and targets were dying so quickly. Came back around PoP and quit once the server pretty much completely died off around PoR.

Dragonmist
04-29-2014, 10:03 PM
On Vulak Trak was dead insantly Harmtouch armies were used Keystrokes and Isboxer to control sks on raid targets or Mages camped near nag/vox it was quite annoying and insane...Batphone programs used also where google sent all guild members text messages when a mob spawned...

akaiif
04-29-2014, 10:35 PM
I quit for awhile after I got bored because Citizen and TL were sitting on targets with a total of 8 SK's on both sides and targets were dying so quickly.

^ this time infinity.

I won't mention my name or guild affiliation. I enjoyed playing with those who played along side me there, but I am glad that's over. Between the economy, items that weren't from the appropriate era, and the mentioned above quote (which by far was the worst IMO), I am ecstatic that the server died.

Fysts
04-29-2014, 11:17 PM
, Tinelor, Infinitive, Moot, Restt, Dumation, Baramur on Vulak, had all epics before velious release, played u til luclin launch. Had 1 million plat then retired.

Malphite
04-30-2014, 01:06 AM
I was Phazer in TL

equetra
05-17-2014, 04:06 AM
Was on Fippy as Equetra, cleric. In Rosengard. Loved it - *wave to ex Fippyers*

Clark
05-17-2014, 04:14 AM
Missed out on that one myself.

Bazia
05-17-2014, 04:39 AM
Played in Citizen from classic to kunark, server sucked though with the epidemic MQ/SEQ use.

Sadre Spinegnawer
05-17-2014, 05:29 PM
I was on fippy. Played up to first emperor kill. same name, same class.

Master Jeweler ;P

Arclanz
05-20-2014, 01:05 PM

I would not be surprised. I remember logging on day 2 of launch of the sleeper and seeing some level 25s in oasis. I was like WTH. Then a friend said hey man come join the raid in oasis, everyone gets xp for all kills. Major bug there.

Other bugs that decreased enjoyment of the game:
1. trash mobs in swamp dropped fine steel
2. a handful out of era weapons, and maybe armor, were in game
3. of course the spell list was overpowered and not classic.

But that raid-xp-bug was the biggest problem that I saw. Still, great times. Nice seeing 400 players in greater fay, and bumping into EQ players I had known around the launch of EQ.

Oh ya, and the haxors.

Sinara
07-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Played on Fippy as Sinara. In Rosengard. Good times.

Bazia
07-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Was in Citizen from launch through Kunark

Server was a waste of time though with the out of control MQ2 and SEQ usage.

Thulack
07-27-2014, 11:31 AM
Played ranger named thulack on Fippy for first month or so. Was in Citizen at launch. I got to level 30 quickly but due to low playtime wasnt keeping up so just gave up there.

Nukehard
07-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Thulack! I remember you

Also played Pixn off and on until right before OoW - Enchanter. Was off and on between Citizen/TL early but around Velious back to Citizen

Malice_Mizer
07-27-2014, 06:09 PM
I played on Fippy a lot from launch and then around LDoN era.

Apparently SOE devs at some social in San Diego on Friday said that they are in talks about coming out with a new time-locked server that will halt progression at PoP, since that seems to be where most people would want it to end. They're still in the "fleshing-out" phase, but jeez, I hope they get on that soon.

Best part of Fippy compared to P99 was obviously the number of leveling toons, the XP potions, and the fact that leveling from 1 to cap wasn't quite as soul-crushing and brutal as it honestly is on P99. Somehow, it all felt like it went by 100 times faster and was generally more enjoyable.

Love me some P99 but, how anybody finds the time to dedicate the amount of time that I did when I was a little kid is incredible to me. I feel guilty and bad if I play a game for 8 hours and have nothing more than a single level (where I don't get any new spells or abilities or anything at all) to show for it.

Clark
07-27-2014, 06:43 PM
I missed out on that one. Vztz emu was fun though.

Malice_Mizer
07-27-2014, 07:33 PM
Got my class bard gear at like level 5 in Kelethin and had that up until raid time. Awesome gear, both in scaled stats and looks, but it kind of robbed some of the development of the game-- piecing together new pieces of armor that you come to afford.

Overall, the community of Fippy for the first few expansions was massive and vibrant and a lot of fun. It was the type of thing where you spawn a new char and have trouble finding any lvl 1 mobs around the starting zone because there are so many people. Good and bad thing, but overwhelmingly a good thing. People were excited to be participating in a legit server that recreated a lot of the classic experience (albeit not in its entirety like on P99, such as full-on corpse runs and classically rendered zones such as W Freeport).

I sincerely look forward to the next progression server and hope it happens within the next year.

Giustin
07-27-2014, 07:50 PM
I played a SK/Druid combo on Fippy - Moonunit & Dweezil from early Kunark until GoD. Formed an Australian based guild <Austra Liana> and had a ball playing off-peak .. met some really great people. In the end didn't really do it for me due all the previously mentioned reasons .. while it lasted it was alot of fun taking down various Velious, PoP and SoL raid mobs with 3 groups.

Rellapse40
07-28-2014, 12:13 AM
rip p99 if they come out with a pop locked server

Psykes
07-28-2014, 01:06 AM
Arkadius Dwarf Cleric in EoE on Vulak... no competition on that server at all, no other guild got a mob we didnt allow them to have, they had no organization

Farzo
07-28-2014, 01:59 AM
Played a sk a launch then quit called: Qxan level 50 5/7 planar, DMF, jboots, Djarn ring etc etc.

But:

Was in Citizen from launch through Kunark

Server was a waste of time though with the out of control MQ2 and SEQ usage.

Taralia
07-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Minitru Mid Velious to Luclin Skip to GOD to OOW
Of Citizen, to any Twisted Legion in Luclin era....Dat Memblur on SSRA...

Edit: Go Dima!

Valoril
07-28-2014, 05:00 PM
rip p99 if they come out with a pop locked server

God if a real pop locked server comes out, I might replay EQ again after 12 years and even pay for it.
I bet that the population during Classic&Kunark would be HUGE probably even bigger than Fippy at release.

Villia
07-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Played on Fippy Kunark-OOW Erudite SK - Crayon

Malice_Mizer
07-31-2014, 07:42 PM
Arkadius Dwarf Cleric in EoE on Vulak... no competition on that server at all, no other guild got a mob we didnt allow them to have, they had no organization

To be fair, Vulak was pathetic. It was the over-flow server for Fippy. Your very foundation was "Sloppy Seconds," so you were destined for lesser things.

pharmakos
07-31-2014, 11:27 PM
vulak had some of the most anti-social, self-righteous douchebags i've ever met playing an online game tbph. everyone i ever met from EoE was pretty alright, but most of the other people in the 50+ game were straight up ignorant douchebags. was the type of server where if you talked in General chat too much people would put you on ignore, whether you were trolling or just being friendly.