PDA

View Full Version : monk gearing question with around 8k

falendar
04-12-2014, 11:07 PM
I just got very luck in a group and got a nice item to drop so once i sell it I should have some pp to spend. aside from rings what would be some good items to buy with about 8k? thanks :)

Boredrums
04-13-2014, 12:46 AM
Peacebringer

Xendel
04-14-2014, 10:45 AM
I am in a similar boat. I was curious about peoples thoughts on dropping it all into an FBSS or if I'd be better off with more overall improvements.

Lyrith
04-14-2014, 10:46 AM
FBSS, haste is kind of game changing for a pure melee.

Xendel
04-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Is there any moderately accurate speculation about the price of an FBSS changing with Velious? I didn't remember much in the way of new tradeable haste items...

Man0warr
04-14-2014, 10:58 AM
It definitely goes down, because of Silver Chitin Hand Wraps.

Xendel
04-14-2014, 11:03 AM
A most excellent point. I suppose I may save a bit more and look to purchase a bit after Velious.

Abrok
04-14-2014, 11:19 AM
I'm not an expert but I'd say to get Haste and then check out this chart if you're looking into weapons:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwLk00fzuQQMcElKYTJtaGVsanM/edit?usp=sharing

Wu's Quivering + FBSS would outdamage a Peacebringer. Rings are a good upgrade. Outside of that I'd try to get as much STR/HP as possible.

falendar
04-14-2014, 12:34 PM
i ended up getting addy club and SoS seems like a really good choice so far. good to go for weps like these from a 30/40 2hb? dps seems alot better

Xendel
04-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Does look like AClub/SoS will beat out Wus/IFS/PB. Did you get those before a Haste item?

EDIT:

Am I reading this correctly, using level 60 DPS values:

JM + KD = 1.61 DPS + 1.00 DPS = 2.61 DPS
Peacebringer = 2.40 DPS

I thought the 2HB sticks were typically better until you were getting into the AClub/SoS combo...

Khaleesi
04-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Use 2HB(Staff of Battle or Peace Bringer if you can afford it)until you have Epic, then put Stave of Shielding in offhand. In the meantime while levelling, use your fists to raise dual wield and keep it topped up.

Armor is an easy one. Wear Wu's until 30s then goto Dalnir and group there extensively up to high 30s, picking up Crescent armor all the while.

Haste would be your big cost, but worth it until you have some variation of your epic (robe/robe/fists)

Jewellery would be HP/AC/STR/STA for most situations. Getting into a guild and having a jeweller make you a +MR set is extremely useful and should be done when you get serious about pulling. For example in Dalnir, lots of casters, it helps a bunch to have that jewellery.

Splorf22
04-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Abrok, that's only true if you aren't hasted. Try doing your math assuming 40% spell haste. Also depending on level you might be capped early anyway.

Xendel, you won't dual wield all the time. Multiply the KD by 0.8 and you get almost exactly the same value.

I'm going to assume the OP won a Bracer of the Hidden, in which case I think AC/SoS, PB, or FBSS are all reasonable things to buy.

Splorf22
04-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Use 2HB(Staff of Battle or Peace Bringer if you can afford it)until you have Epic, then put Stave of Shielding in offhand. In the meantime while levelling, use your fists to raise dual wield and keep it topped up.

When I was leveling up my monk, I would periodically test this. It's very close, but the Tranquil Staff outdamaged the fist/sos combination until L58 when the fist finally got the full 11 point damage bonus.

Xendel
04-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Xendel, you won't dual wield all the time. Multiply the KD by 0.8 and you get almost exactly the same value.

I pulled the 1.00 value from the bottom table labeled OFFHAND - I assume the maker of the spreadsheet had already factored that in...

Khaleesi
04-14-2014, 02:13 PM
When I was leveling up my monk, I would periodically test this. It's very close, but the Tranquil Staff outdamaged the fist/sos combination until L58 when the fist finally got the full 11 point damage bonus.

Also, an inherent benefit of 2HB is you won't have to switch out your weapons to reduce the damage taken from a mob's damage shields.

I've always supported maximizing 2HB skill before dual wield for your reason and mine.

I don't talk about the Tranquil Staff though, that's either money wasted or money not well spent, when the Peace is same stats (effectively) for so much less.

baalzy
04-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Keep in mind, that sheet is made assuming level 60 (fairly certain anyways). So dual-wield rate will be significantly lower at lower levels.

Lyrith
04-14-2014, 03:05 PM
i ended up getting addy club and SoS seems like a really good choice so far. good to go for weps like these from a 30/40 2hb? dps seems alot better

I don't blame you man, seeing some cool weapons on your character can be more game changing then haste. Enjoy your monk!

FBSS never really drops too much lower. Silver Chitin Handwraps just retain their own separate value...

Splorf22
04-14-2014, 03:19 PM
I pulled the 1.00 value from the bottom table labeled OFFHAND - I assume the maker of the spreadsheet had already factored that in...

I had to check this, but no, he didn't. In fact you can see on the bottom right, he does 1.76 + 1.21 = 2.71 (not 2.97).

I don't talk about the Tranquil Staff though, that's either money wasted or money not well spent, when the Peace is same stats (effectively) for so much less.

1-49 OK, but the proc is incredible.

Anyway, at 50+ in my opinion the AC/SoS, Tranquil Staff, and Fist/Sos combinations are all about the same. They all have their little pluses and minuses, but none of them is hugely better. If you are 50+ and want to do more DPS, get more strength. There is a huge difference between 255 and 150 . . . just guessing but I'd say 20% or more.

Abrok
04-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Heh, this is why I tried to preface my post with me not being an expert. Was just trying to provide a helpful reference to the OP. I mostly solo, so acquiring haste was pretty big for me, I didn't factor in the lower level haste caps and being in a party.

OP seems to be on a good path now, so mission accomplished!

falendar
04-15-2014, 01:16 AM
Abrok, that's only true if you aren't hasted. Try doing your math assuming 40% spell haste. Also depending on level you might be capped early anyway.

I'm going to assume the OP won a Bracer of the Hidden, in which case I think AC/SoS, PB, or FBSS are all reasonable things to buy.

yes it was a bracer of the hidden, i prob should have bought haste but picked up the addy club and sos for 6.5k and was able to get a few minor upgrades elsewhere for str ect so next item on my list is haste item.

Ravager
04-15-2014, 06:23 PM
yes it was a bracer of the hidden, i prob should have bought haste but picked up the addy club and sos for 6.5k and was able to get a few minor upgrades elsewhere for str ect so next item on my list is haste item.

Your plat was well spent imo. Those will hold you over just fine until you get to 46+ and can get a free haste belt from Sky that has the same haste as FBSS and stats. Otherwise, there will be plenty more options for haste with Velious closing in.