PDA

View Full Version : A few newbie questions.....

Raisen223
04-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Hello everyone! I've been enjoying Project 1999, and I must say, it's a great emulator. I just have a few questions though:

1)How do I make the game window resizable/change the resolution of the game? I tried through the game's options window, but it just stays stuck at 800x600, for some reason.

2)The various amounts of custom UIs in this game are great. However, I've changed to the Velious UI, and now I can't find the options menu anywhere. Could anybody tell me how to access it, in this UI?

Thanks in advance, for anybody who has answered my questions!

Rhambuk
04-13-2014, 08:39 PM
alt o should open the options menu.

as far as resizing youre resolution i think if you do it from the options at login screen and not from in game it should help.

Supaskillz
04-14-2014, 02:36 AM
I dont know too mch about the technical stuff, but there is a technical section of this forum that may have your answers

Raisen223
04-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Thanks a lot guys. Only issue now is, this game is owning me. You'd probably be disgusted at how many times I've drowned, got killed by a low level mob, had 'pain and suffering' one-shot me etc. I can't seem to get the gist of this game. I'm reading up on guides, and I'm trying to hail everybody I see, but I honestly have no clue about what to actually do. The game's world is just so expansive.

lecompte
04-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Raisen223: is it your first time to play EQ at all? What race/class are you and we can offer up some general game play advice based on your starting area.

Nikon
04-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Raisen223: is it your first time to play EQ at all? What race/class are you and we can offer up some general game play advice based on your starting area.

I'm with Lecompte on this one. Give us a little more info and people will come out of the woodwork to help. Breaking into classic EQ without any previous knowledge can be intimidating. Sounds like you've been a good sport thus far, though.

Raisen223
04-14-2014, 05:13 PM
Raisen223: is it your first time to play EQ at all? What race/class are you and we can offer up some general game play advice based on your starting area.I only started from Everquest 2, back in the 'glory days' of the Everquest era. I'm trying to roll as an Ogre Warrior for my first character, but I don't understand how to advance from my starting city.

lecompte
04-14-2014, 05:20 PM
Alright, First order of business so you don't get lynched: EQ2 was POST GLORY DAYS!

Some general starting tips:
Most people rebind their controls to W A S D like a first person shooter. Use the wiki map to navigate your way out of Oggok.

Use TAB randomly to see if there is something in the water or hidden behind something that you can't really see so it doesn't pop out and attack.

Use the C (consider aka con) key when things are selected to find out if mobs are going to attack you, and if so, if they are going to kill you.

If things con even (black/white) or lower (blue or lightblue), you can probably kill them.

Some mobs have social agro, meaning that while not normally aggressive to you, if you attack them and they have friends around, the friends will assist.

Nikon
04-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Well, let me give you an official 'welcome' to the server! The community loves to see virgin EQ players come our way! So pure ... so innocent. Prepare to be defiled!

If you haven't, make sure to read through the server rules and read up a little on basic game mechanics in the Project 1999 FAQ (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002). After that, I'd bookmark the Project1999 Wiki (http://wiki.project1999.com). It's not the end-all be-all for information but it has a LOT of good information including maps (as Lecompte noted). Read up on the basics of the Warrior class (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002). They are very gear and group dependent so make sure that it will work with your desired play-time/play-style.

Don't be afraid to ask questions in game or here on the forums, but it's wise to try to use the search function here before asking or check the wiki. Once you get the hang of basic character control and get a few levels under your belt, you'll be ready to venture out and start grouping. There won't be any quest bubbles and quests are not used for leveling purposes in classic EQ. You will be relying on groups, especially as a warrior.

loramin
04-14-2014, 06:12 PM
I only started from Everquest 2, back in the 'glory days' of the Everquest era. I'm trying to roll as an Ogre Warrior for my first character, but I don't understand how to advance from my starting city.

As was mentioned already, use the map of Oggok here: http://wiki.project1999.com/Oggok to get out of town.

Once you are out you will be in the jungle known as the Feerott ... which also has a map (http://wiki.project1999.com/The_Feerrott).Walk out in to the Feerott and you'll see some huts that look like the ones from Oggok; as soon as you get past these you will be in "the wild" and will start seeing monsters around.

Again, as mentioned, you're going to want to find monsters you can kill that can't kill you, and you can do that by:

A) right-clicking on them
B) left-clicking on them and typing "/con"

This will show you the mob's "con" (ie. color). At level 1 you want other level 1 monsters or even/"white" con monsters. You might survive fighting yellow ("slightly above your level") monsters, but it will be tough.

Once you find a white-con monster (eg. a spiderling) left-click it, move next to it, and then click your attack button (on your hotkeys bar) or hit whatever key is mapped by default for auto-attack (I changed mine so I'm not sure; might be "a"). This will start you fighting the monster. When the monster starts getting low on life, it might run; if it does chase after it, as you need to be next to it to hit it.

When you're done, if your life is down you can site (/sit) to rest and recover it. Once its recovered, go kill something else, and repeat until you level. Then keep repeating ... because that's EQ in a nutshell (though of course things get more interesting as you progress) :)

P.S. After you kill something you can right-click it's body to see if it had any loot on it. The game will bring up some boxes, and if there's any loot in those boxes you can-right click to take it. You can then bring that loot back to one of the NPC ogre merchants, right click on them to start trading, then left click your item and click sell to sell it.

Raisen223
04-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Alright, First order of business so you don't get lynched: EQ2 was POST GLORY DAYS!Sorry about that, I'm not really that knowledgable about the franchise's history.

About the tips being provided; thanks a lot everybody! This really helps me a lot. I'll try following advice as much as I can, because I honestly have no clue about this game (yet, at least).

Erydan Ouragan
04-14-2014, 07:58 PM
Sorry about that, I'm not really that knowledgable about the franchise's history.

About the tips being provided; thanks a lot everybody! This really helps me a lot. I'll try following advice as much as I can, because I honestly have no clue about this game (yet, at least).

Don't worry, what seems difficult and confusing right now will become second nature later.

Getting around and doing things in EQ is a lot like in real life. If i asked you to tell me in detail how you get to your grandmother's house, you would probably have to make a mental effort to describe it to me, yet, if you hopped in your car you'd know exactly what to do without thinking, because you've done it before.

When you start the game you're lost for half an hour in your starting city. If you stick to it, eventually you will know where are all the camps in every zone, you will have a mental roadmap of the game allowing you to know how to get to some place starting from where you are at the moment.

It's just a matter of repetition and time spent playing the game, hang tight it will grow on you :)

snoopiku
04-15-2014, 08:38 AM
I couldn't imagine playing EQ for the first time again. I got eased in by a friend of mine (watched him play for about 8 hours the week after he got the game) so I had a little bit of knowledge coming in. I tried to get my girlfriend o play for a little (she had played SWtoR) and just couldn't get it.

Believe me when I say, it isn't easy, especially when coming from any more modern game. You aren't going to be handed anything, there is no tutorial, and the world is pretty unforgiving. Wander a bit too far and BAM, getting two shot by mobs and back to your bind spot. But! Stick with it. You won't be disappointed.

lecompte
04-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Don't worry, what seems difficult and confusing right now will become second nature later.

Getting around and doing things in EQ is a lot like in real life. If i asked you to tell me in detail how you get to your grandmother's house, you would probably have to make a mental effort to describe it to me, yet, if you hopped in your car you'd know exactly what to do without thinking, because you've done it before.

This results in such useless directions from people as "After you port into feerrott, hang a left and you'll run right to it."

fran
04-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Wander a bit too far and BAM, getting two shot by mobs and back to your bind spot. But! Stick with it. You won't be disappointed.

wait not only that, you have to run back to your corpse because all your stuff is on your corpse....

wait until you wipe deep in a dungeon and you just told your group 1 more mob and bed time after this... hahahaha

fran
04-15-2014, 01:24 PM
if he is used to modern games, he is probably going to quit anyways lol

Raisen223
04-15-2014, 11:08 PM
if he is used to modern games, he is probably going to quit anyways lolI actually like the difficulty difference that this game has. I hate how in most modern MMORPGs, everything holds your hand through it all, and you can ding! the max level in like, a day or something. I really like how hard the game is, but I'm just not used to it yet.

Ahldagor
04-16-2014, 03:10 PM
I actually like the difficulty difference that this game has. I hate how in most modern MMORPGs, everything holds your hand through it all, and you can ding! the max level in like, a day or something. I really like how hard the game is, but I'm just not used to it yet.

once you get used to it it becomes a bread and butter game for you. enjoy it as much as you can and welcome to the project.

http://i.imgur.com/CnEtYaS.gif

Raisen223
04-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Sorry for posting after all of my questions have been answered, since I know that this counts as 'necroposting', but I have a few more questions:

1)I'm trying to level my Ogre Warrior, but I've noticed that his attacks barely ever hit. I remedied this problem by putting points into Agility, which surprisingly, made him miss his attacks less often. Wouldn't this gimp my character, or is it perfectly fine?

2)I want to see my Options menu to the Escape button on my keyboard, instead of Alt+O, but the Escape button clears the hotkey that I try to put. Is there some way of setting my Options menu to Escape?

Tann
04-20-2014, 01:24 AM
1)I'm trying to level my Ogre Warrior, but I've noticed that his attacks barely ever hit. I remedied this problem by putting points into Agility, which surprisingly, made him miss his attacks less often. Wouldn't this gimp my character, or is it perfectly fine?

I'm not in the least bit an expert on game mechanics, or anything for that matter, but I'm pretty sure miss rates are calculated by your weapon based skills along with the offense skill. Also the level of you vs. what you're swinging at, the more levels between you and the target will either give you better odds with those dice rolls or worse.

the ATK stat might help with this too but not 100% sure, ATK does however increase the probability that you'll hit for max damage. This can be increased via STR and raw ATK clickies or spells.

Raisen223
04-20-2014, 04:09 PM
I'm not in the least bit an expert on game mechanics, or anything for that matter, but I'm pretty sure miss rates are calculated by your weapon based skills along with the offense skill. Also the level of you vs. what you're swinging at, the more levels between you and the target will either give you better odds with those dice rolls or worse.

the ATK stat might help with this too but not 100% sure, ATK does however increase the probability that you'll hit for max damage. This can be increased via STR and raw ATK clickies or spells.It's really weird though. As far as I can remember, Agility shouldn't influence your character's ability to hit in any way, but I've noticed a huge decrease in the amount of missed hits when I've pumped up my character's Agility. Is there something that I'm missing over here?