PDA

View Full Version : How did you get your wife/gf to play?

acrisius
08-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Been trying since I met my wife(9yrs) to get her to play. I got her to pause the other night while I was playing P99, told her to give me a fair chance at gaming with me to give me 1 week and at an hour or 2 a night. Thats as far as I have gotten.

I'm pretty sure its mostly a mental block about MMO's because Ive been playing them for so long she doesnt want to be labeled the same as I hehe. All she will play is Mahjong or Farmville......

Any suggestions on getting her involved would be great.

BTW a Trade in on the wife isnt possible. I like my nutz where they are ty.

Dunes
08-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Eager to hear more about this as well! My wife has watched me play, but she just wont take the plunge and roll a character in P99, despite our meeting in EQ almost 11 years ago. :confused:

Dac321
08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
This thread is humorous to me. Just last week I FINALLY conviced my wife to try the game. Now when I come home from work I see her on. :)

My wife loves the beach and I convinced her I would go to the beach with her if she just tried the game. She hasn't mentioned anything about the beach to me yet :D

Overcast
08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
I'm pretty sure its mostly a mental block about MMO's because Ive been playing them for so long she doesnt want to be labeled the same as I hehe. All she will play is Mahjong or Farmville......

Think that's the hurdle there.

The people who watch TV 8 hours a day are quick to label anyone anything to take the focus off themselves. I guarantee those who are saying, "OMG all you do is play Video Games" - I bet the next sentence they speak is "did you watch survivor/lost/whatever last night... oh I watch that all the time."

There's no way I could spend hours a day playing those Facebook games and it's AMAZING how many people do - but don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking them if it's what they like to do. But... Pot meet Kettle.

I can't help otherwise - MY wife talked ME into playing. But it's not like it took her any prodding.

Tell your wives this: my wife and I both play. We did; however, watch TV last night after doing stuff around the house, I had a water heater to replace and that's just after getting back from a 9 hour drive, we were outta town all week, didn't login to a game for one second that whole week.

But this week and weekend, I WILL be a fiend.

You don't have to spend EVERY waking hour playing a video game. Do what you NEED to get done first and after that - game all you can, lol.

Offer up the 'gauntlet' - time how much they spend on Facebook + TV watching. I bet it's close to the same as your time on EQ. You might have to do that behind the scenes, if they are aware they may try to 'limit' what time they would otherwise spend...

I won't knock ANYONE's hobby - but personally, I prefer the interactive depth of EQ or other games (MMO, Strategy, RPG) as opposed to flash games or the mind-numbing TV. But to each their own.

The people I usually run into that bash MMO's are people who live and breathe something else. Usually reality shows or sports. I do admit, I like a dose of each of those myself, and if not for video gaming, I'd watch a lot more TV. THANK YOU VIDEO GAMES!!!! lol

TV is really not much more than being spoon fed corporate advertisements 50% of the time anyway.

But if I had a pool or beach near me... we were just talking about getting a membership to a health club too. Don't let RL 'suffer' because of gaming, just replace other 'leisure' time.

hedbonker
08-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Well, it's not just wives - I have NEVER gotten my husband to play a game on a console or the computer - He just does not care... 25 years of marriage and it was only until recently I got him to play his first game. Red Dead Redemption on the xBox. He mowed through that game and finished all of it in about 3 weeks. He still has no interest in things like EQ...

Sarkov
08-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Do your best to communicate what the game is really about. The "swords and sorcery" genre has never been very inviting to women that aren't already dedicated geeks, but the core gameplay mechanics of MMOs are actually quite appealing to women, even non-gamers: investing in and advancing a character, interacting with people and building social relationships to accomplish goals, exploring a world, etc. So ultimately its on you to communicate the experience to her in a non-threatening way, then let her try it and see if she likes it. If she does, great, if not, c'est la vie.

For my part, I met my wife in an MMO - by far the best way to find out if she is interested in sharing your hobby... :)

Dantes
08-17-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, but then again, if she did play I would probably fall into an EQ coma and wake up some day at 300lbs without a job. I told her I just want 1 night a week, ME TIME, let me play my stupid game and relax. ;)

Malrubius
08-17-2010, 01:41 PM
My wife loves the beach and I convinced her I would go to the beach with her if she just tried the game.

Was this beach...in Oasis by any chance? :p

Tenurn
08-17-2010, 02:41 PM
I thought about getting my wife started but then I thought about all the new fights that could come from trains, CRs, loot, assholes.

Lucrio40
08-17-2010, 02:58 PM
My suggestion on getting your wife/girlfriend to play an MMO with you?

DON'T!

fugazi
08-17-2010, 03:10 PM
I introduced her to WoW, she liked it and now we occassionally play EQ together. She rolled a half-elf paladin, got killed by a corrupt Qeynos guard and instead of uninstalling the game she vowed to get high enough level so she could have her revenge. Lucky me?

WoW might be an easier introduction for MMORPG's, as EQ is rather unforgiving. Some like that, most new gamers anno 2010 seem to hate it. At least, thats my impression.

sleepingwolf
08-17-2010, 03:58 PM
I was fortunate enough to marry a fellow gamer so all I did to get her to play was buy her a copy of the game and her own machine. I then had to PL her up to the same level as the toon she made on my account. A small price to pay to get full use of my machine back.:D

Weekapaug
08-17-2010, 04:54 PM
My GF was a gamer when I met her, even though she had never played MMOs, so it hasn't been difficult to get her into P99 at all. She loves it, thankfully.

If she didn't like it, we might have had a problem, but I guess that's the plus side of being the "D" part of a D/s relationship...If she ever ever did give me any grief over EQ I can just give her a spanking. :D

oldhead
08-17-2010, 05:17 PM
honey.. I need help camping XXX. Can you help? Just need you to buff me and heal me. Nothing too intense.

honey... I need help tracking a rare mob.. can you help me?

Honey... I need help grinding exp. Can you help?

A woman wants to help. They will be a part in that way. Thats how you get them playing.

What im saying is.. if you cant get her to play for themselves you can always get herto play for you.

fuji
08-17-2010, 05:20 PM
One of my gf's in the past was a nimpho and times when EQ was greater than sex, she would blow me while I played. Leveling went much quicker that way, though trying to do a CH near the end was a little tricky.

thxer
08-17-2010, 05:35 PM
My now wife used to HATE me playing back when we were younger and she was just my GF. Finally I had to afk for something and had he do my job in the group. After that she was curious and had me buy her the game/account. So now she'll play when I come home from work, or she'll cover for me in my group when I need to run out for food or something. She's never been super into it or really any good at it, but she likes to play mostly just to be into what I'm into and spend time with me.

What a fag.

Tiggles
08-17-2010, 05:42 PM
I just threatened to stop having sex with her.

Itchybottom
08-17-2010, 06:02 PM
It's not really an issue of getting them to play. It's an issue of getting them to play and not getting you constantly killed. The other issue I've ran into is investing time into gearing the girlfriend to a certain level, and then she stops playing a week later.

If she doesn't have interest to begin with, no reason to push the issue. I'm sure she has hobbies that you aren't involved in.

Aragonas
08-17-2010, 07:41 PM

If she doesn't have interest to begin with, no reason to push the issue. I'm sure she has hobbies that you aren't involved in.

Give her a notebook and a creditcard and discuss her hobbies with ur bankmanager the next month :rolleyes:

YendorLootmonkey
08-17-2010, 07:54 PM
As I mentioned in another thread... go down on her every time she dings.

Eyry
08-17-2010, 08:03 PM
I told my wife I would stop going down on her if she didn't play EQ with me...needless today, she still doesn't play...fuck.

Tenpin
08-17-2010, 08:37 PM
My wife took control of my toon one night only to run him straight off of the deck in Kelethin.

Baa
08-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Have given up on this ever happening, only games wife will play are racing games on the PS3 and iphone games.

It is enough of a battle for me to get playtime without her complaining about it

fuji
08-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Why would you want her to play anyways? Wouldnt it be better if she was cooking, cleaning or working out while u get fat camping in lguk?

Also I dont want to sound sexist, but I never found a girl gamer that was "up to par" with gaming skills.

r0xx0r
08-17-2010, 11:27 PM
women are into viloence, especially when it is them inflicting pain on other human beings. Try to get her to play Ultima Online, lots of free servers out there, Show her how fun it is to kill someone and loot all their belongings (in game) Then you can be like, see- everquest is like that, except you can't kill players and you can't loot them- ok well maybe leave out the last part.

Braveguard
08-18-2010, 08:43 AM
As I mentioned in another thread... go down on her every time she dings.

Bring chapstick.

Taxi
08-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Also I dont want to sound sexist, but I never found a girl gamer that was "up to par" with gaming skills.

I worked in a game company for 2 years, and the best FPS player on our team was a girl. When i first played against her, i went easy. I lost. I then tried a bit harder, lost again. It then dawned on me that this girl was not only better than me at FPSs, she was the best player in the middle of a bunch of guys that have been playing FPSs since 1994.

Braveguard
08-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Wimmens belong in the kitchen makin' me sammiches!

Arclanz
08-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Anytime you introduce a new social network to your wife; make sure wifey is happy in your relationship and not needy of attention...because douchebags on the internet will fill that gap. I know two personal friends (originally from EQ) who lost their wife as a result of getting them into EQ. Both great guys; and good looking. I guess they just didn't give wifey enough attention. Don't know anyone who got RL married from EQ even tho I've heard of it.

That said, it is sexy as hell to see a married couple play and hear the cute little things they say to each other. I remember hearing a woman say to her husband "hunny I just used lesson" when he asked her to do something. Naturally he said nevermind and did it himself :P. They seemed like such a team; and I found them a sexy couple even tho I never saw their pictures lol.

Overcast
08-18-2010, 12:13 PM
My wife and I click well in the game, and mostly won't play unless the other's on. Although I am fond of getting some solo time in on the weekend mornings.

Arclanz
08-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Why would you want her to play anyways? Wouldnt it be better if she was cooking, cleaning or working out while u get fat camping in lguk?

Funny but I got to disagree with your second point. I know numerous RL girls who played EQ and they were as good as anyone. The wife in the married couple, in my post above, was quite skilled too. In fact, I can't think of any RL female player in EQ who did not play well. Amusingly, I've met a lot of male (or suspected male) players who couldn't play for shit.

ukaking
08-18-2010, 12:47 PM
My wife endured me playing a few MMO's in the past. She kinda wanted to start SoD with me when I discovered that EMU, but she would get side tracked and would never have the time to play. What I didnt realize was it was a problem with me. I wasn't helping her out enough around the house to give her the peace of mind and time to get into a game.
I found P99 and realized what I needed to do. I began making sure we worked as a team IRL so we could in turn, work as a team in game. She likes the slow pace of P99 because it really gives her time to learn the layout of zones and what her spells all are good for. Its much better than the 1000mph games that are out now, when you dont even learn the area before you are moving on.
So basically, keep her cup full and she will in turn, do what your heart needs as well.

Evalina
08-18-2010, 12:53 PM
My husband got me to start playing back in 1999..just months after he did. We stopped about 4 years after we started...wayyy too addicting! So now I am back now that it is free and still simple:) My husband wont start playing again, too many deployments:)

r0xx0r
08-18-2010, 01:05 PM
my wife and I met on everquest 6 yrs ago :) she lived in OR and I lived in AL.
We're happy :)

Braveguard
08-18-2010, 02:22 PM
my wife and I met on everquest 6 yrs ago :) she lived in OR and I lived in AL.
We're happy :)

I got divorced 5 years ago. My regular EQ partner is my ex-wife.

azeth
08-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Kashi's brother got her into EQ when she was a freshman in high school, I had been playing since middle school. We met in college and laughed about both having played it, but never picked it up. Once I found p99 I brought it up, later that day we bought a huge double circular desk on Craigslist and haven't looked back since.

Zereh
08-18-2010, 04:20 PM

Really?

<3 Z

Edit: Ok, I have to confess. The first response I typed out and submitted was simply: Fuck you. But then I realized that wasn't very ladylike and changed it. Enjoy your highly-skilled sausage fests groups. Me and my sub-par groups will just continue to gimp along. lols

bufferofnewbies
08-18-2010, 04:37 PM
I got divorced 5 years ago. My regular EQ partner is my ex-wife.
If my exwife played this game with me, I'd SO forget to heal every so often..
:rolleyes:

to0p
08-18-2010, 04:51 PM
The first time I went to meet my fiance's parents, literally as we're parking the car in the driveway she turns to me and says "Oh, by the way my dad's an ex-marine." Wow and I thought I was nervous before... We walk in the door, greet her mom who directs us to the living room where he is sitting at a command center of 4 computers playing a full group of level 50 characters... the eq conversations went on for hours... Luckily because of this she already played.

PhelanKA
08-18-2010, 05:06 PM
My wife despises video games. There isn't a snowball's chance I Hell I could get her to play Solitaire let alone EQ. I warned her on my video game playing before we ever got serious years ago so it's all good. I still sometimes wish it was something we could share though.

Sorn
08-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Edit: Ok, I have to confess. The first response I typed out and submitted was simply: Fuck you. But then I realized that wasn't very ladylike and changed it.

You aren't the only one who felt like saying that. Some people still have a dial-up connection to reality.

RE: the OP
No idea. I don't know your wife very well. Or at all. You should ask her.