PDA

View Full Version : Ranger or Shadowknight

Kadron
04-15-2014, 04:48 PM
So I'm ready to make another alt. I'm a fan of melee but also want to use magic and have decided on these two classes. I already have a 20 Dark elf sk that has a Ring of the Dead, so I'm very tempted to level him up. I'm just not sure if I want to tank.
Ranger sounds fun from all their utility but near end game I'm worried about grouping and not sure how well they do soloing 50+. At least a sk can fear kite.
I have a fungi, rbg and other decent gear. I'm just lacking weapons and need to decide what to buy.

So what I'm asking is your input or persuasion to help my decision.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
04-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Cuttlefish and asparagus or the vanilla paste?

Lune
04-15-2014, 05:01 PM
If you don't have a group of friends and you're going to be relying on pickup groups for your ranger, you may encounter difficulty reliably finding groups for him.

At some point in Velious, a ranger can fear kite animals quite well and solo to 60.

Also, I wouldn't be too hasty to conclude that simply because a shadowknight can solo 50+ mobs, they can realistically grind out that exp as a way to level. You have a 40% xp penalty as a dark elf, you kill slowly, and your location options are limited. The amount of time it takes to accumulate significant amounts of solo xp on a 54+ SK is mind-boggling.

I have played both these classes 50+. Think about which one you might enjoy more at 60, when you are done leveling. From a practical outlook, monks outshine both these classes at everything. Which playstyle is more fun for you? I liked rangers because the class gave me a lot to do without necessarily having a lot of responsibility. It was a nice break from playing my shaman and buffing everyone, and I was an exceptional outdoor puller.

Being a shadowknight became quite frustrating to me after 54 or so because of how good monks are. They can do 3x your dps, mitigate roughly as well as you, provide adequate agro for any group content, and pull. Even a ranger will outperform you as a tank in a low-moderate damage situation with slowers/clerics around, simply because they provide the same agro as you plus considerably more DPS.

Kadron
04-15-2014, 05:06 PM
I just want to make sure I can solo of I can't get groups. I have a 56 rogue and when I can't get groups I'm screwed.

Blade
04-15-2014, 05:50 PM
While on the subject of Shadow Knights, here's a question I've always had:

Is Fear Kiting as amazing as my mind makes it out to be?

I main a Warrior. People always say Shadow Knights can solo decently, Fear kiting. As a Warrior, Fear kiting seems like an AMAZING way to solo. What is the downside to it? To me, the statement should be "Shadow Knights can solo everything without losing any HP because of Fear Kiting making them Gods." What gives?

Wrench
04-15-2014, 06:04 PM

I main a Warrior. People always say Shadow Knights can solo decently, Fear kiting. As a Warrior, Fear kiting seems like an AMAZING way to solo. What is the downside to it? To me, the statement should be "Shadow Knights can solo everything without losing any HP because of Fear Kiting making them Gods." What gives?

this thing we like to call mana

YendorLootmonkey
04-15-2014, 08:09 PM
A ranger is like having an erection in a doorless, windowless room. Fun for you, but no one else gives a shit about what you can do.

xnolanx
04-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Yendor, yet again... mah *****.

Xanthias
04-15-2014, 08:42 PM
A ranger is like having an erection in a doorless, windowless room. Fun for you, but no one else gives a shit about what you can do.

That was actually amusing and sadly accurate

Danth
04-15-2014, 11:11 PM

It's not amazing. It simply means you CAN solo--slowly--where a Warrior would be sitting on his duff doing nothing.

Danth

Kadron
04-15-2014, 11:33 PM
Yendor... Awesome lol. I went Ranger. Let the pain... I mean fun begin!

Swish
04-16-2014, 07:13 AM
I have a fungi, rbg and other decent (gear)

You'll do fine soloing then, even on a ranger ;)

Good luck!

Brut
04-16-2014, 07:46 AM
this thing we like to call mana

These things us SKs called Polished Obsidian Great Axe, Blood Ember Gauntlets and Boots.

You can get solo exp as SK, but grouping should always be your main goal when working towards 60. Personally have always played the absolute dead hours of the server, so getting to 60 on SK mostly meant fear kiting solo. Did Ice Giants in EF for a good long while, think 8h sittings of holding 2 spawns down got me like a yellow in a day or something. Higher 50s went on to do dwarves in BB docks, kinda similiar results.

Basically your dps (even with pet up) isn't much to write home about, so fear kiting can be pretty tedious. It's doable and all that, but other classes would long since soloed to 60 by the time you're still 54. I would advice against playing SK with the idea of "I dont wanna tank in groups" in mind.

Ranger on the other hand is just gonna be LFG all day since sadly you're a second rate druid, and druid is a second rate wizard/cleric. People can write their essays on how ranger has roots and whatnot small heals that make them a jack-of-all-trades, but sadly you're still third rate in all those fields. People prefer an enc to CC the mobs, just like they prefer a cleric to heal. People aren't going to be too excited to invite a ranger to their group since you take a spot, eat alot of exp, and don't bring much in return. Blame Verant.

fadetree
04-16-2014, 09:31 AM
When I see a level 60 Ranger, I greatly respect them. When I see a level 60 SK or Paladin, I am mildly impressed. When I see a level 60 anything else, I don't give it a second thought.

lecompte
04-16-2014, 01:41 PM

... But it is SOOOO BIGGGGGG. Rangers who make it to 60 tend to be pretty skilled players. Get used to designing a group around YOU! You'll get creative and it will be a blast.

Ranger + 4 enc + clr = the good times.

thieros
04-16-2014, 02:23 PM
Get used to designing a group around YOU! You'll get creative and it will be a blast.

this, either way you go.

Shadowknight
the perk of sk is you can solo while looking for groups or trying to form your own groups after 50 thats 2-4 mobs per mana bar. afk regen, come back and do it again. also depending on your place of soloing (KC ent for example) people will tag you with c2's, regens, etc. that speed your soloing along.

Ranger
You can do the same with a ranger just with a bit more level difference between you and the mob. Toe to toe with low blues or lightblues when waiting for groups, but i feel like i get 1-4 mobs per mana bar depending on mob level.

both are fun. I prefer my SK over my ranger, but it might be specifically related to SK being 60 and ranger being 50.

Lictor
04-16-2014, 05:29 PM
Cuttlefish and asparagus or the vanilla paste?

Here I was expecting the first reply to be some dribble about how you should roll on red bc red is amazing amirite!?!

Instead We get this gem, bravo.

Swish
04-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Just don't be the ranger who says "ok guys, no hybrids...lets try and find a warrior to tank", you're using up the hybrid slot that the LFG SK/paladin could be using to get the group started properly etc ;)

Iksar monks take note as well, you have 4% more of a penalty than any non-big race/iksar hybrid :p

Kadron
04-16-2014, 05:44 PM
I already miss my Shaman lol.

lecompte
04-17-2014, 12:56 AM
Just don't be the ranger who says "ok guys, no hybrids...lets try and find a warrior to tank", you're using up the hybrid slot that the LFG SK/paladin could be using to get the group started properly etc

Instead say "ok guys, no hybrids...lets try and find a shaman or enchanter to slow"

Lyrith
04-17-2014, 09:19 AM

This is one of the best quote's ever! Almost signature worthy... lol.

I always thought a Ranger was more fun, was fun to track mobs and camp open world mobs/items.

Just my thought's though.

Raavak
04-17-2014, 09:56 AM

Lol.