PDA

View Full Version : How deal with the insane run speed of mobs

madara
08-18-2010, 08:29 AM
It seems if your alone and have aggro just find a good spot to die, I cant seem get any of my old tricks years back to work they just run way too fast. I even got my first sow from a kind 40 druid passing in misty and I went to turn around and try my AE spell and they were right behind me, would not even get the spell to the half way point of casting, craziness. Does this effect druid kiting later on? Server seems more hardcore then even classic was.

Messianic
08-18-2010, 08:33 AM
1) What class are you (I assume druid, but i want to be sure)
2) If you are trying to quad kite, what are you trying to quad kite, with what spell, and what level are you

Lazortag
08-18-2010, 08:34 AM
1. Make sure "run" is turned on.
2. Jump a lot while running.
3. Get a druid to cast SOW on you.
4. Get a Bard to follow you around casting selo's accelerando
5. Make sure you're not encumbered
6. Make sure your agility isn't extremely low
7. Make sure you're not bumping into any obstacles while running away. This is a common mistake.

Thac0
08-18-2010, 11:19 AM
strafe run helps

madara
08-18-2010, 11:21 AM
I wonder if I picked wrong server, is there two? The increased mob speed is so great to not have that validated immediately in this thread is a huge question mark. Case in point a 36 shaman gave me a sow in misty. Mooto and goblins agroed me. They still kept hitting me enough to kill me before the middle zone guards. 95 Agi and no I dont have walk on, 45/75 on weight list. I did a test root on green mob. I had 45 secs to run before it broke, the speed at which is caught up to me as I ran out some and sat confirms there is something unclassic about mob speed.

XeldiablosX
08-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Well something is certainly messed up on your end, I have had no issues out running a mob with sow period. The mob speed isn't that greatly increased I can assure you of that. If you yourself are having these issues there is a technical forum to help get it resolved, I would suggest posting in there.

Messianic
08-18-2010, 11:40 AM
I wonder if I picked wrong server, is there two? The increased mob speed is so great to not have that validated immediately in this thread is a huge question mark. Case in point a 36 shaman gave me a sow in misty. Mooto and goblins agroed me. They still kept hitting me enough to kill me before the middle zone guards. 95 Agi and no I dont have walk on, 45/75 on weight list. I did a test root on green mob. I had 45 secs to run before it broke, the speed at which is caught up to me as I ran out some and sat confirms there is something unclassic about mob speed.

Yeah, i definitely quad kited mobs with sow. At level 16. You're missing something.

Lazortag
08-18-2010, 11:55 AM
In my opinion mobs aren't fast enough. To aoe kite spectres I have to bring my agility down to 76 by encumbering myself with rusty scythes :(

jeffd
08-18-2010, 11:57 AM
mob speed is higher on this server, but definitely not by enough to outrun sow.

also, isn't mooto a shaman? shaman mobs will put sow on any social-linked mobs around them.

Lazortag
08-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Oh yeah, it's important to know that, and also that some mobs are just insanely fast naturally (the named centaur in SK, for example, runs faster than all the other centaurs)

Arclanz
08-18-2010, 11:59 AM
I'd like to apologize for the nasty feedback I left a few weeks ago due to my anger at how mob speed is rediculously out of whack compared to original eq.

That said, yes mob speed is WAY too fast here. I had sow on AND levitate and got a 30 second head-start on a decaying skeleton. I was making a b-line for the oasis zone from North Ro. 30 seconds later sow faded. Just for grins, I adjusted the camera to see behind me. I did not get much of a lead before sow faded; and that skeleton caught up to me right before I zoned. Mind you I was in the middle of the zone; not at the coast; so that skeleton had to go up and down those huge hills while I just levitated across them. And even with a 30 second sow advantage he still caught up to me.

Suffice it to say that no matter what head start you have (stun, etc); unless you have sow the mob is going to catch up to you.

hedbonker
08-18-2010, 12:02 PM
I noticed that the mobs in MT move much faster than live as well. Obviously not to the point that it is unplayable but still annoying...

XeldiablosX
08-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Suffice it to say that no matter what head start you have (stun, etc); unless you have sow the mob is going to catch up to you.

Yes the mobs run a wee bit faster than live and as far as I can recall you could never outrun mobs for the most part without a movement increase effect, but its by no means unplayable at all hehe an aye I agree a bit aannoying. Still able to quad kite etc so ... I'm still not sure how a skeleton almost caught up to you with sow and a 30 second head start ... just boggles my mind lol.

Messianic
08-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Yes the mobs run a wee bit faster than live and as far as I can recall you could never outrun mobs for the most part without a movement increase effect, but its by no means unplayable at all hehe an aye I agree a bit aannoying. Still able to quad kite etc so ... I'm still not sure how a skeleton almost caught up to you with sow and a 30 second head start ... just boggles my mind lol.

One of the exceptions to this was beetles - they ran a hair slower than reg PC run speed.

I still don't understand why mobs have to run as fast as they do. I wish they'd run normal (classic) speeds...

BrentClagg
08-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Is it possible that you have a Multi-Core processor problem? I have read elsewhere on the forum that this can cause you character to either speed up or slow down from their normal speed. It's just the first thing that popped into my head after walk being on or being overweight.

Dunes
08-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Not trying to be critical, but this is really not classic at all. I distinctly recall telling a friend to watch his stamina so that in the event that he needs to run for the zoneline, he can jump to stay ahead of the mob. More than once I fled the killing fields of North Qeynos, Fippy hot on my heels, jumping all the way to the guards.

Now, there really is no point (as OP stated). Your going to get hit, even with SoW in some cases (low level caster), so unless you think youve got enough health to make it to zone, you might as well pick a safe place to die. The motivation behind increasing run speed leads me to believe that there may be a grudge against kiters. Or, possibly it was an effort to take out people leading a train into another group of players (they die in the process). Whatever the motivation is, however, its definitely not classic.

rioisk
08-18-2010, 12:59 PM
mobs run way faster on p1999 case closed. In classic you were able to outrun mobs without SoW.

madara
08-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Oh we can quad and kite around as early as teens without issues? That is comforting. I just have to get to 9 for new spells and then really 14 before all this pain lessens some I think. I am right that if a high level gives you sow even at level 7 it does not judge your level? I too remember a great many memories of jumping and running zigzag and living, not possible as far as I can see now.

Arclanz
08-18-2010, 03:43 PM

Let me clarify. I had levitate and SOW and ran by a decaying skeleton. 30 seconds later my SOW faded. The skeleton quickly closed the gap even though it had to run up and down large hills wherease I had levitate.

On live, mobs ran about as fast as you. If you got any sort of "jump" on them by perhaps casting stun; you would be ok. Not here; mobs are just too fast.

Or perhaps my agility just sux? (not from being injured; I mean in general). Agility does affect run speed, correct? Monks would run faster than enchanters, etc.

Lazortag
08-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Not trying to be critical, but this is really not classic at all. I distinctly recall telling a friend to watch his stamina so that in the event that he needs to run for the zoneline, he can jump to stay ahead of the mob. More than once I fled the killing fields of North Qeynos, Fippy hot on my heels, jumping all the way to the guards.

You can still do this on p99. In the words of plato: ur doin it wrong.

Humerox
08-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Yes mobs are faster on P99 than they were on live. This has been debated to death in the forums, I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this.

The mob speed can't really be adjusted because if they slow the speed down in any manner, it becomes ridiculously easy to outrun them. It seems that the adjustment can't be calibrated finely enough or something, I dunno.

What I DO know is that once you get used to it, it's no big deal.

Anaiyah
08-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Ya its not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. You can get away from a mob for a decently long time by strafe-running and jumping a bit, with absolutely no run speed enhancements.

MiRo2
08-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Hooray for search

http://project1999.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4153&postcount=5

We'll be able to slow down mobs once someone fixes the fact that if they are slowed down even .01 they'll never be able to catch you. Classically; you could only outrun mobs by strafing or with sow/jboots/selos.

And to the person that thinks jboots were actually slowed all I have to say is "lol". That is a joke & a carry over from classic patch notes.

Lazortag
08-18-2010, 07:27 PM
How is it different from classic then? Were PC's slower in classic too? What best describes the run speed of PC's/NPC's in classic?

Harrison
08-18-2010, 07:33 PM

You can't do it as often as you think.

Runspeed AND increased melee radius is the problem.

Dac321
08-18-2010, 07:39 PM
I seem to kite just fine with engulfing darkness. I know they run a little faster, but nothing not managable.

RKromwell
08-18-2010, 11:03 PM
No reason a druid shouldn't be able to out run a mob. Snare is your friend.

Rejuvenation
08-19-2010, 01:40 AM
You likely are having issues with a dual core processor interfering with the timing that the game is intended to run with...this has plagued quite a few people on emu servers for a while.

Lill-Leif
08-19-2010, 04:15 AM
mobs run way faster on p1999 case closed. In classic you were able to outrun mobs without SoW.

In WoW yes, in EQ no.

Rael
08-19-2010, 08:47 AM
You could only outrun mobs without SoW by jumping

Messianic
08-19-2010, 08:57 AM
How is it different from classic then? Were PC's slower in classic too? What best describes the run speed of PC's/NPC's in classic?

Mobs in classic, as a general rule, were about 5-10 percent faster than you. Here, they're about 15-20 percent faster. sow has a base run speed increase of 34-55 percent, based the level of the caster (not the recipient).

Some mobs were slower. I know for a fact that beetle-type mobs were a hair slower than PC's in classic.

As has already been mentioned, jumping made you faster as long as your stamina held. A neat trick is to jump from hills to get more air time on the jump and get a greater boost - but don't do this on too steep of a hill, because you'll take fall damage - sometimes quite a bit of it (i.e. sand dunes with steep dropoffs in Nro/Oasis/Sro).

UrsusMajor
08-19-2010, 09:03 AM

No you can't. Just yesterday running my 36 necro from Neriak to EC Tunnel through Nuktolos I agro'd a skeleton. The only way I could stay ahead of it was by constantly jumping. If I jumped just once, I would get ahead of it for a second until it cought up with me.

In order to stay ahead of the mob you have jump non stop but you can't do this because you'll run out of stamina.

qwrtish
08-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Strafe running was enough to run as fast as mobs on live if you were ahead of them. You only had to jump and strafe if you were fighting then decided to run and needed to put distance between you and them. I'm not sure why so many people are getting that confused -- you never had to constantly jump, although everyone probably did because they were terrified (I know I did).

Lazortag
08-19-2010, 02:08 PM
In order to stay ahead of the mob you have jump non stop but you can't do this because you'll run out of stamina.

Exactly - this is classic.

Overcast
08-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Strafe running was enough to run as fast as mobs on live if you were ahead of them. You only had to jump and strafe if you were fighting then decided to run and needed to put distance between you and them. I'm not sure why so many people are getting that confused -- you never had to constantly jump, although everyone probably did because they were terrified (I know I did).

Yeah, it just seems the natural way. I guess jumping once or twice and getting out alive is a good way of developing that habit.

But most of the time, if I'm not overweight - I can get away if I strafe + jump, but yes - I wish they ran a bit slower so I could just do a straight run + jump to get away.

Gamkek
08-19-2010, 02:54 PM

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

This is always the way it was in classic. p99 may not have it *exactly* 100% right, but that's the nature of the beast.

Even though they might be a cunt hair faster than they were on live, you can still run faster than mobs by jumping. The trick was always having a high enough combination of health (to take hits) and stamina (to stay ahead with jumping) to make it to the zone line.

Lucrio40
08-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Mobs were not faster than Players on live, with the exception of some named mobs or mobs that cast SoW.

The way Classic worked was that mobs ran EXACTLY the same speed as a player, thus if you were in melee range of a mob and you keyboard turned and ran in a straight line without strafing then the mob would stay within melee range of you. If you rooted a mob, stunned a mob, jumped, strafed, or did ANYTHING to gain any sort of a lead on the mob you would keep that lead because the mob was moving at the same speed as you.

I have somewhere in this house (I look for it occasionally) my EQ collectors edition book that tells you to pan your camera out while fighting a mob and to jump to outrun a mob. If I find it I would scan it and put this to rest.

Lazortag
08-19-2010, 03:32 PM
The way Classic worked was that mobs ran EXACTLY the same speed as a player, ...

How can this be true? Different players have different agility and thus move at different speeds.

Lucrio40
08-19-2010, 04:29 PM
How can this be true? Different players have different agility and thus move at different speeds.

Unless I'm mistaken, agi worked for movement speed in that low agi gave you a penalty, but high agi didn't give a bonus for movement.

Itchybottom
08-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, agi worked for movements speed in that low agi gave you a penalty, but high agi didn't give a bonus for movement.

Correct. Agility never influenced top run speed, only when you were low on hit points, or weighted down would it affect movement rate. Mobs were always easy to out-run on live, by diagonal strafing as has been discussed into the ground. You didn't have to continuously jump, that's just something players tended to do in a panic.

Tallenn
08-19-2010, 04:38 PM
I've never heard proof that agility affects run speed. I think the idea probably comes from how encumberance works: if you are encumbered, that DOES affect your run speed, and it also lowers your agility. I think that because of that people started incorrectly associating agility with run speed.

However, that's neither here nor there. Mobs DO run faster on P99 than classic- I don't think that's in dispute. There is a more annoying, relate bissue though: mob WALK speed. Mobs in P99 walk around like they are late for a meeting, or something. If I sic my pet on one that's walking away from, it will cross half the zone before my (running) pet gets close enough to agro it. Watch a mob walking- they seem to glide along, because they are moving far faster than their walking animation appears it should move them. On a similar note, mobs that flee, whether from low hitpoints or some kind of fear affect, also move far too quickly.

Messianic
08-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, agi worked for movement speed in that low agi gave you a penalty, but high agi didn't give a bonus for movement.

Nope

It's just that being below 30% hp elicits both an agi and a movement speed penalty, so people automatically assumed that the two were related.

Lucrio40
08-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Nope

It's just that being below 30% hp elicits both an agi and a movement speed penalty, so people automatically assumed that the two were related.

Alright, so I'm wrong about that, but even then, everything else I posted holds true.

Lazortag
08-19-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm 99% certain that agility affects runspeed. I have to encumber myself down to 76 agility to be able to kite spectres properly. I sometimes do this by taking off equipment that gives agility bonuses, like gilded cloth, but then again that also gives a strength bonus, so I suppose it's possible I'm wrong. But I do remember taking off elf-hide gloves to lower agility and that working to make my runspeed the level I wanted it (though I could remember wrongly, it just seems unlikely to me).

Itchybottom
08-19-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm 99% certain that agility affects runspeed. I have to encumber myself down to 76 agility to be able to kite spectres properly. I sometimes do this by taking off equipment that gives agility bonuses, like gilded cloth, but then again that also gives a strength bonus, so I suppose it's possible I'm wrong. But I do remember taking off elf-hide gloves to lower agility and that working to make my runspeed the level I wanted it (though I could remember wrongly, it just seems unlikely to me).

The only thing that will affect a players run speed, in a legit scenario is:

Low hit points
Encumbrance
Movement effects (snare, spirit of wolf, etc)

Lazortag
08-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Huh. If that's true then I should be working on getting a perfect ratio of encumbrance (162/99 is the one I use) rather than working on getting the Agi to the level that the 162/99 encumbrance gives me.

Will a ratio of 18/11 encumber me the same amount as 162/99?

Reiker
08-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Lazortag should have been aborted.

Harrison
08-19-2010, 07:24 PM

Get out of this discussion.

*facepalm*

10 years later, and you believe that? lol

NORMAL mobs could ALWAYS be outrun with SIMPLY strafe-running. Jumping was not necessary.

Certain mobs were exceptions and obviously those with movement buffs, too.

If you argue with the above, you are dumb.

Lazortag
08-19-2010, 07:29 PM

Get out of this discussion.

*facepalm*

10 years later, and you believe that? lol

NORMAL mobs could ALWAYS be outrun with SIMPLY strafe-running. Jumping was not necessary.

Certain mobs were exceptions and obviously those with movement buffs, too.

If you argue with the above, you are dumb.

What do you mean "ten years later"? Unlike you I didn't play a shitty game for eight years, I quit when it became shitty. Also, many people believed agility was connected to runspeed because it seems intuitive. I admitted that I was wrong and then asked a question which you mouth breathers still haven't answered. Is an encumbrance ratio of 2x/2y the same as a ratio of x/y? I'm curious.

I just tried strafe-running on p99 and it worked. Ur doin it wrong.

hueylewis187
08-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Make a lvl 1 monk and put all points into agility.
Get a lvl 50 sow and ask the 50 to run through wk on auto follow of the monk.
The level 50 sower will fall behind in a few minutes.... encumbered or NOT.

As run speed. The devs have stated time and time again they tried to change it and this is the closest they can get. if they change the number by .001 or something the mobs barely move at all.

vincin
08-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Hi, my name is vincin

Messianic
08-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Lazor - your encumbrance affects both agility by a certain percentage and movement speed by a certain percentage. You're simply correlating the two where a coincidental yet indirect relationship exists. If you were encumbered the same amount yet had a ton of AGI gear, you'd notice the same movement speed.

Messianic
08-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Lazortag should have been aborted.

I don't know if his comments warrant this =P

Lazortag
08-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Lazor - your encumbrance affects both agility by a certain percentage and movement speed by a certain percentage. You're simply correlating the two where a coincidental yet indirect relationship exists. If you were encumbered the same amount yet had a ton of AGI gear, you'd notice the same movement speed.

I already admitted that you guys are all right and agility has no effect on runspeed. I did this two posts ago. My question is: will an encumbrance ratio of 2x/2y affect your runspeed the same as an encumbrance ratio of x/y? Is it really calculated like a ratio, or is having 2/1 encumbrance considered not that bad because you're just encumbered one over.

Basically, is 200/100 as impeding to your movement speed as 2/1? This question is independent of what you guys seem to think I'm asserting.

Messianic
08-19-2010, 10:00 PM
I already admitted that you guys are all right and agility has no effect on runspeed. I did this two posts ago. My question is: will an encumbrance ratio of 2x/2y affect your runspeed the same as an encumbrance ratio of x/y? Is it really calculated like a ratio, or is having 2/1 encumbrance considered not that bad because you're just encumbered one over.

Basically, is 200/100 as impeding to your movement speed as 2/1? This question is independent of what you guys seem to think I'm asserting.

Gotcha, i apologize.

I dunno on that one. Test it and let us know ;)

Lazortag
08-19-2010, 10:03 PM
That would be really hard to test, but I guess I'll have to. I was hoping some nerd on the forums would know the answer to my question. Oh well.

MiRo2
08-19-2010, 10:28 PM
That would be really hard to test, but I guess I'll have to. I was hoping some nerd on the forums would know the answer to my question. Oh well.

Actually you could do the same test just not using 200/100 = 2/1 could be something along the lines of 90/60 = 135/90, 60 and 90 are both easily obtainable by adding points to a level 1's str during creation. Then you just need a to load them up with the correct amount of copper and time yourself running from point A to point B on both characters.

Lazortag
08-20-2010, 09:37 AM
The problem for me isn't getting two equivalent ratios so much as it is "timing the runspeed" of the two characters. I mean, so many things can affect your runspeed, so I'd have to find a definite point A and point B to run between with no obstacles or anything impeding me.

Traderseven
08-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Funny how everyone has to say whats on their mind, even though its the same as the last 20 posts, my turn!

Get over it. Its harder and thus more fun this way, if you can't deal with it make a druid like everyone else and get sow.

Lucrio40
08-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Funny how everyone has to say whats on their mind, even though its the same as the last 20 posts, my turn!

Get over it. Its harder and thus more fun this way, if you can't deal with it make a druid like everyone else and get sow.

lol. I like that. When people suggest something that wasn't in classic that might make life just a little bit easier for people (i.e. removal of hybrid xp penalties) people come out of the woodwork to say "BUT...BUT...THAT'S NOT CLASSIC!"

Now we have an issue that wasn't in classic, and people would like it changed to be like it was in classic and people come out to say get over it? Making things more difficult for the sake of making them difficult does not make things more fun. I'm not looking to be spoon fed everything here, if I wanted that then I'd be playing EZserver.

I'll use an old nintendo game for an example on what this is like. In pitfall for the NES there are several ladders that if you go down its instant death, you don't know that until you try the ladder. Death traps aren't fun especially if you can't spot them before hand.

madara
08-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Skeletons, omg, like the worst offender! :eek:

Malrubius
08-21-2010, 04:52 PM

Either you want classic EQ or you don't. If you don't want it go play WoW or eq live or something.

They got boats working, they'll get this working eventually too.

It will evolve towards what we had in 1999 whether you want it to or not.

valorborn
08-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Deleted the long post I was typing.

This sucks, is there any hope it will ever change? God help warriors and rogues, bastards are resigned to death should anything you can't kill agro you. I get the movement speed, changing it by 0.01 will make mobs too slow, but why are their hitboxes so damn big?

I imagine that even with Selo's Grimfeather can catch you.