PDA

View Full Version : [Poll by Post] Red99: A short questionnaire for our Blue community members

Derubael
04-29-2014, 03:57 PM
As part of our ongoing promotion of Red 99, I would like to pose this question to our blue community members:

If you played on Red 1999 in the past, why did you quit? What did you like about the server? Would you want to play again? If not, why? If you have never played on Red 99, what has kept you away? (If the answer to the last question is simply "Not interested in PvP" you do not need to post, but thank you for reading!)

I believe this question may have been asked before by one of your Red community members, but I wanted to get something official. You'll notice this is not a poll, so please place your comments in a post below. Please provide as much detail as possible.

I humbly request that you do not include suggestions on how to "fix" or "improve" the server, but instead simply answer the questions provided above. If you have suggestions for the server, I am always happy to receive them in my PM box!

This thread is a strict "No-trolling" zone. Obvious troll posts will be deleted. I am specifically requesting information from people have played on Red 99 in the past, and no longer do so, or people who may have been interested in playing there, but never did.

If you do not feel comfortable posting here and listing your reasons for quitting/never trying, I would love for you to send me a PM instead so I can get your viewpoint.

The population on Red has skyrocketed since the recent changes, and that number will continue to grow as we launch full-scale into our planned Red 99 week. It is my hope that with the feedback in this thread, as well as the new changes, and the ever-improving Red 99 community, we can continue to grow the population on Red. For a list of the new changes, as well as information on older changes and a few reasons why Red 99 is better than it's ever been in all aspects, please click here. (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148678)

If you haven't tried Red 99 lately, there has never been a better time to start!

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to read this and respond - we greatly appreciate your contribution to making the Red server the best it can possibly be!

lecompte
04-29-2014, 04:12 PM
If you played on Red 1999 in the past, why did you quit?
I didn't want to play, largely, alone. I don't like it when I know I have to leave a zone when a member of guild "X" zones in. Then a min later, 8 other people in the same guild zone in.
What did you like about the server?
I liked the ongoing competition that would grow between players -- kinda like a duel that you know has to occur everytime you see person X in the zone... and they know it to.

Would you want to play again?
Tempted
If not, why? N/A
If you have never played on Red 99, what has kept you away? n/a

Swish
04-29-2014, 04:12 PM
If you haven't tried Red 99 lately, there has never been a better time to start!

Nubben
04-29-2014, 04:26 PM
I've dabbled a few times, never made it to level 5 though. I love the idea of the added element of intelligent opponents, but my playtime is extremely limited (probably < 10 hours a month, usually in 1-2 hour sessions) and starting from scratch in a barren (yet harsh) world is just hard to get past. Especially since my class of choice would be rogue, which makes playing in these conditions even tougher. Also, some of the stuff seen in global OOC is pretty pathetic, but /ignore works fine for that.

Again, I love the idea of the added element of intelligent enemies. I put time into pretty much every live PVP server at one point or another (Rallos, Vallon, Sullon) although I never made it too far for the same reasons I described above. Starting from scratch in a harsh environment is just hard and occasionally frustrating, knowing I have my "main" that is already somewhat established on another server.

I'm certainly tempted to play again, although it really comes down to my extremely limited playtime. The EXP bonus is definitely a step in the direction towards attracting me to this server. I'm also interested in the Teams server if that ever comes to fruition.

Swish
04-29-2014, 04:28 PM
From my experience, (pvp) only tends to bring out the worst in everybody.

It's far from sunshine and rainbows on blue, go into any well populated zone at any level range and you'll find dicks everywhere protecting "their" camps, fat cats in EC pushing items for well over their value, and butthurt pixel hunters who wiped on a mob and lost it...who then turn to RNF etc.

So, red brings out the worst in people? I'd say blue players are equally toxic sometimes, and moreso in some cases...you just don't hear many individual voices because of the higher population.

fadetree
04-29-2014, 04:31 PM
I have not tried red99, but I tried one of the pvp servers back in the day, and hated it. I have since played a lot of pvp in other games, notably warhammer online among others. I may try red.

Fame
04-29-2014, 04:31 PM
I don't play on Red right now because of rl location and connection issues, just don't have the setup to play at the highly competitive level red requires. I'm on blue right now because it is easy and I don't have to think much about what other players in the area might be doing. They are killing mobs. Forever.

Will be returning to Red as soon as I can because it is so much more fun than blue. I have a full twink set up with fungi ect. on blue and I never log on because the server offers no challenge or opportunity to kill other players for camps, coin or luls.

I started p99 on blue because of population and fear of grief. Rolled on Red for fun one day and found these two issues to be highly exaggerated. I leveled in groups from 10ish-55+ three times now.

Bohab
04-29-2014, 04:37 PM
Note: I enjoy MMO PvP games very much. I played DAoC for 6 years, WAR, GW2 and Eve... my experience with PvP is fairly extensive. I have not played EQ PvP very much at all.

1. Not enough players. I understand if I play maybe someone else will play and maybe someone else will play if they play... but I just can't leave behind the major investment in time I've already made on blue to risk playing with a core of only 30 players every single day.

2. Starting over. Gosh I currently have 4 level 60s... all of which are geared to the nines and a gaggle of geared alts on blue of all level ranges to choose from. Logging in to red with my level 1 and my dagger* watching all the currently dedicated red players running around on 60s with gear I already own is just disheartening. I don't want to start over from scratch. The majority of my EQ playtime has already come and gone and I've successfully accomplished my goals already.

3. EQ PvP does not look fun. I say "does not look" because I have not actually tried it as far as playing an established end game character. I base my opinion solely off the many EQ pvp videos posted by the red players here. Playing a melee and clicking pumice and cycling junk buffs an entire fight just looks not fun. From the videos I've seen it looks like unscripted zerging chaos where everyone is in it for themselves. Perhaps I'm just ignorant of EQ pvp but I've played many different mmo PvP games and what I enjoy is fast paced, organized pvp, where your skill as a player delivers the outcome of who wins. Yes I understand all pvp games have balance issues but EQ pvp does not look balanced what so ever. Not only based on what classes are clearly better vs each other in pvp but also it appears it can be entirely based on gear, spell versions and level. This can be said for nearly every mmorpg with pvp but when it comes to EQ and specifically this server, these issues should they exist won't be adjusted with patches. We have a set timeline of patches... there are no balance patches in the works. These unbalances will exist forever.

4. Poor attitude. Yes, when it is a PvP game people are competitive and tempers will flair and you will have ignorant assholes but the stigma with the p99 red server is just so bad. To have this attitude in your face constantly makes p99 red not appealing what so ever. If anyone or anything ruined the chance for p99 red to thrive it was the players themselves.

myriverse
04-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Nothing is always rainbows.

After 5 years on live (PVE), I only encountered one truly bad apple, and he was quickly dealt with by CSR. Never yet met a truly bad apple on P99, either.

Nothing wrong with protecting your camp. It's how you protect it.
Nothing wrong with EC fat cats. Items sell for however much a person is willing to buy them. If buyers refuse, watch those prices plummet.
RNF doesn't matter... ever. But better RNF than anything else.

Sorock
04-29-2014, 04:43 PM
fear of progress/achievement

On blue, and as far as classic goes, people say they get hit in the feelz by how even walking away from a pull or grind session and not being killed is an achievement in itself, b/c classic is so unforgiving. That is with the ability to try and dodge a red KOS mob and pulling a mob to learn they are social. All of that is butterflies in teh stomach fun..

In my mind (wrong or right, prolly wrong?) I can imagine all of the above, and then can't wrap my mind around that fact that the person next to me or coming up behind me or that I did not see is there to kill me just the same as the militia skeleton, but I cannot just dodge them like I can the mob.

so yeah, it look at an evening on blue and think, wow I almost did well since I did not lose my level I dinged last night (lvl9) and that was a good night. and red just seems intimidating

there, now I feel like a lesser man and need to roll on red to get my card back?

Champion_Standing
04-29-2014, 04:50 PM
All I had to do was read the ooc chat for 15 minutes and I never logged back in. It doesn't matter what you do with the server, your community is toxic as fuck and nobody with a functioning brain would want to associate themselves with the current R99 population. Enforcing some rules regarding behavior would do a hell of a lot more in the long run than GM events and group exp bonuses.

Tewaz
04-29-2014, 04:54 PM
All I had to do was read the ooc chat for 15 minutes and I never logged back in. It doesn't matter what you do with the server, your community is toxic as fuck and nobody with a functioning brain would want to associate themselves with the current R99 population. Enforcing some rules regarding behavior would do a hell of a lot more in the long run than GM events and group exp bonuses.

This. I tried red for a while, but it felt like being in a 9th grade class room from when I taught high school. If the attitudes and population were similar to what they are on Blue, I would definitely play red. ESPECIALLY with an exp bonus.

Wiwi
04-29-2014, 05:09 PM
I played a rogue to level 5 because the Blue server was down.

I wasn't on long enough to care.

Doubtful.

If not, why?
I play other PVP games that take care of that fix and I only have so much time to play EQ during the week. I'd rather play on a server with a population that's closer to classic and with PVE since I never played PVP in EQ.

It doesn't help the Red cause that the same band of proselytes are posting something to the effect of "...you wouldn't have that problem if you played on Red" or "you don't have the balls to play on Red" in Blue thread topics. It's obnoxious advertising. Please stop spamming the blue threads.

Hold some big events on the Red server. Bring back Rubicite to Cazic for a week or have a week where the old DE mask drops off random world mobs or release Velious on Red 2 weeks prior to Blue. That will get you people logging in.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
04-29-2014, 05:11 PM
I used to play on blue and now play on red. I'm not sure in going to go back. Ever.

I started on red because after reading raid discussion page after raid discussion page I got absolutely sick of the rule lawyering. The simple fact is that I stepped back one day and looked at the shit I was reading about class R and class C and was disgusted that THIS is what I do with my gaming time. I deal enough in my daily life with contractual language, it need not filter into my gaming experience.

I don't have the time for that and probably never will. Ymmv but the communities are largely the same, they're just moderated by the fact that you can/can't virtually shit stomp someone for being a disturber.

Derubael
04-29-2014, 05:15 PM
Note: I enjoy MMO PvP games very much. I played DAoC for 6 years, WAR, GW2 and Eve... my experience with PvP is fairly extensive. I have not played EQ PvP very much at all.

1. Not enough players. I understand if I play maybe someone else will play and maybe someone else will play if they play... but I just can't leave behind the major investment in time I've already made on blue to risk playing with a core of only 30 players every single day.

This is part of the reason we are doing such a huge promotion right now. If we get a large number of people to start over on Red, people won't feel this way anymore :)

We're already hitting above 200, and there are a ton of newbie groups roaming around!

2. Starting over. Gosh I currently have 4 level 60s... all of which are geared to the nines and a gaggle of geared alts on blue of all level ranges to choose from. Logging in to red with my level 1 and my dagger* watching all the currently dedicated red players running around on 60s with gear I already own is just disheartening. I don't want to start over from scratch. The majority of my EQ playtime has already come and gone and I've successfully accomplished my goals already.

You can always to a blue - > red platinum transfer. Granted, the rates are high, but this way you won't have to start with a dagger*

There are a number of trusted blue -> red platinum transfer services available in the EC tunnel. Spend a half an hour researching and pick someone with a good rep and you're good to go.

3. EQ PvP does not look fun. I say "does not look" because I have not actually tried it as far as playing an established end game character. I base my opinion solely off the many EQ pvp videos posted by the red players here. Playing a melee and clicking pumice and cycling junk buffs an entire fight just looks not fun. From the videos I've seen it looks like unscripted zerging chaos where everyone is in it for themselves. Perhaps I'm just ignorant of EQ pvp but I've played many different mmo PvP games and what I enjoy is fast paced, organized pvp, where your skill as a player delivers the outcome of who wins. Yes I understand all pvp games have balance issues but EQ pvp does not look balanced what so ever. Not only based on what classes are clearly better vs each other in pvp but also it appears it can be entirely based on gear, spell versions and level. This can be said for nearly every mmorpg with pvp but when it comes to EQ and specifically this server, these issues should they exist won't be adjusted with patches. We have a set timeline of patches... there are no balance patches in the works. These unbalances will exist forever.

It's not for everyone. I'm a die hard PvP guy and even I will admit EQ PvP isn't as polished as it could have been. That being said, it's still a blast. Small engagements are still just as heart pumping and enjoyable as an other MMORPG, and large scale engagements are a flurry of communication, coordination, and team effort. In regards to balance, that's part of the beauty of the system. There really aren't any "super classes" in classic EQ PvP, but there are certainly ones that excel. What's really great though is that when you group together with others, these unbalances are no longer so stark.

And in the end, the best parts about EQ PvP really have nothing to do with the mechanics themselves. In an FFA PvP game the environment is so different that the dynamic of the entire game is changed. It's more challenging, for one thing. For another (and my personal favorite) the friendships and enemies you make really mean something. When someone 'has your back' on a PvP server, it means 10x more than it would on Blue. These friends will actually be fighting for your life against real people - as opposed to showing up in Mistmoore to heal you for a couple hours against the same NPC's you've always fought against.

Especially right now, with so many new players rolling on the server, the feelings of comradery and friendship are stronger than they've ever been. It's definitely worth checking out to see what you think. Also remember that you can play one character on blue and one character on red at the same time, so there's really nothing to lose!

4. Poor attitude. Yes, when it is a PvP game people are competitive and tempers will flair and you will have ignorant assholes but the stigma with the p99 red server is just so bad. To have this attitude in your face constantly makes p99 red not appealing what so ever. If anyone or anything ruined the chance for p99 red to thrive it was the players themselves.

In the past, I would 100% agree with this, but the staff and the players have been working really hard to change this. There are a lot of misconceptions about Red99 based on what the community was like for the last couple years. So many people have been making improvements and adjustments in their attitude to eliminate this from the box. Diehard asshats are publicly chastised both in game and on the forums. Obviously some trash talk still occurs, but it's no more than what you'd find on blue, if not less.

The majority of the community in-game is helpful, friendly, and fun. I've been working really hard to eliminate the misconception that Red is just a haven for assholes and trolls!

Nothing is always rainbows.

After 5 years on live (PVE), I only encountered one truly bad apple, and he was quickly dealt with by CSR. Never yet met a truly bad apple on P99, either.

Nothing wrong with protecting your camp. It's how you protect it.
Nothing wrong with EC fat cats. Items sell for however much a person is willing to buy them. If buyers refuse, watch those prices plummet.
RNF doesn't matter... ever. But better RNF than anything else.

There are more trolls and assholes on Blue than there are on Red. The ones on Red just get more exposure due to global OOC. Fortunately, that has been drastically changed (although it's bugged right now, that should be fixed soon), so you will no longer have to hear every grievance in OOC all the time. In addition to this, we have been actively seeking out people who are only on the server to fuck with others, and removing them from the box. The community is better than it's ever been, and is only getting better. Most people are working very hard to change the idea that Red99 is only fun if you're an asshole.

And let's be completely honest here - with all the shit that goes on in Blue RnF, with the overwhelming number of petitions we get in-game and on the forums every single day, and with the sheer amount of negativity that is present on the PvE server all around, it's clear that the blue community shares a similar % of trolls, assholes, and problem players as Red. The only difference in the past has been an active effort by the greater community on Red to change that, and the implementation of Global OOC. Now that both of these have been changed, there's no basis for an attack on the Red community as a reason to not play!

Brut
04-29-2014, 05:15 PM
Populance was at all time low towards late Classic era (like feckin sub-10 online on dead hours), logged in usually to run thru lguk to freeport and find not a single soul anywhere. If I did find some Nilly alt in Oasis specs, he'd gate or upon being slain a full group of his chums log in to come avenge him. Then Kunark opened, meant the horror of lvling 51-60 and meant an abundance of fungi/epic rogue twinks infesting every teens leveling zone, completely ruining the lower level game.

Red generally requires more attention than blue. You can't just pull a quad kite, slay them, then alt tab to snes emulator for 15mins med break. Had to keep buffs up, have mana up, keep pvp spells up, generally know/guess who's what class/level when you saw them in zone, have a really good idea how to fight specific class if someone gave trouble, keep spinning the camera to watch around you if some hostile was in the zone potentially gunning for you. And if you wanted a camp, you could just take it (only problem is that back in the day no PnP meant that 90% of the tools were int casters that were bound by the camp and would bindrush you endlessly). Mostly liked that there were damned people online and the server hadnt stagnated yet.

Would you want to play again? If not, why?
Nope. Leveling toon to 60 sucks, and Velious will increase the gear gap even further allowing alot of the absolute horribads to be succesful in pvp. Also I've always hated the "yo bro is ur body rdy bro u mad bro"-community of red.

Malone88
04-29-2014, 05:16 PM
Well, I'm trying red out this week.

The group XP bonus is real nice, but solo is still a grind, especially untwinked.

The world seems pretty empty, but at least the global_ooc provides some social elements (good or bad).

Not looking forward to higher levels where I'd need to level in groups. Staple spots like Unrest and Mistmoore appeared empty last night, though it's hard to really know because everyone is ANON. Sure you can put groups together in global_ooc, but then you might have to spend half your play time trying to get to where the group is. Haven't tried getting ports yet -- can't afford it anyway.

I pretty much suck at PVP, but for the most part it has been minimal. Was ganked by a mage the other night, but he/she was really nice about it after they took my 1 plat "donation' and promised not to attack me again (though the plat was offered back to me). We shot a bunch of tells back and forth after that. All good. Nice that you don't lose XP from PVP deaths and can get back on your feet quickly.

The one big positive is getting the camps you want whenever you want them..provided you are high enough to solo them (or can find a group or partner to help). Another good thing is that you can get the toon names you want much easier ;-)

Kushie
04-29-2014, 05:23 PM
If you have never played on Red 99, what has kept you away?

Population. Also the community seems like a bunch of wankers.

The exp modifier is tempting to try though.

jaybone
04-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Where is the if we deleted red and made teams I would play option deru!

jaybone
04-29-2014, 05:27 PM
This is part of the reason we are doing such a huge promotion right now. If we get a large number of people to start over on Red, people won't feel this way anymore :)

We're already hitting above 200, and there are a ton of newbie groups roaming around!

You can always to a blue - > red platinum transfer. Granted, the rates are high, but this way you won't have to start with a dagger*

There are a number of trusted blue -> red platinum transfer services available in the EC tunnel. Spend a half an hour researching and pick someone with a good rep and you're good to go.

It's not for everyone. I'm a die hard PvP guy and even I will admit EQ PvP isn't as polished as it could have been. That being said, it's still a blast. Small engagements are still just as heart pumping and enjoyable as an other MMORPG, and large scale engagements are a flurry of communication, coordination, and team effort. In regards to balance, that's part of the beauty of the system. There really aren't any "super classes" in classic EQ PvP, but there are certainly ones that excel. What's really great though is that when you group together with others, these unbalances are no longer so stark.

And in the end, the best parts about EQ PvP really have nothing to do with the mechanics themselves. In an FFA PvP game the environment is so different that the dynamic of the entire game is changed. It's more challenging, for one thing. For another (and my personal favorite) the friendships and enemies you make really mean something. When someone 'has your back' on a PvP server, it means 10x more than it would on Blue. These friends will actually be fighting for your life against real people - as opposed to showing up in Mistmoore to heal you for a couple hours against the same NPC's you've always fought against.

Especially right now, with so many new players rolling on the server, the feelings of comradery and friendship are stronger than they've ever been. It's definitely worth checking out to see what you think. Also remember that you can play one character on blue and one character on red at the same time, so there's really nothing to lose!

In the past, I would 100% agree with this, but the staff and the players have been working really hard to change this. There are a lot of misconceptions about Red99 based on what the community was like for the last couple years. So many people have been making improvements and adjustments in their attitude to eliminate this from the box. Diehard asshats are publicly chastised both in game and on the forums. Obviously some trash talk still occurs, but it's no more than what you'd find on blue, if not less.

The majority of the community in-game is helpful, friendly, and fun. I've been working really hard to eliminate the misconception that Red is just a haven for assholes and trolls!

There are more trolls and assholes on Blue than there are on Red. The ones on Red just get more exposure due to global OOC. Fortunately, that has been drastically changed (although it's bugged right now, that should be fixed soon), so you will no longer have to hear every grievance in OOC all the time. In addition to this, we have been actively seeking out people who are only on the server to fuck with others, and removing them from the box. The community is better than it's ever been, and is only getting better. Most people are working very hard to change the idea that Red99 is only fun if you're an asshole.

And let's be completely honest here - with all the shit that goes on in Blue RnF, with the overwhelming number of petitions we get in-game and on the forums every single day, and with the sheer amount of negativity that is present on the PvE server all around, it's clear that the blue community shares a similar % of trolls, assholes, and problem players as Red. The only difference in the past has been an active effort by the greater community on Red to change that, and the implementation of Global OOC. Now that both of these have been changed, there's no basis for an attack on the Red community as a reason to not play!

I'm sure there are more ass holes on a server that has a 15:1 player ratio.

Softcore PK
04-29-2014, 05:51 PM
It doesn't help the Red cause that the same band of proselytes are posting something to the effect of "...you wouldn't have that problem if you played on Red" or "you don't have the balls to play on Red" in Blue thread topics. It's obnoxious advertising. Please stop spamming the blue threads.

Aww don't let that get to you too much. We're all a lot meaner and more obnoxious on forumquest than we are in game. Think that's true of blue server too; just check out the stuff that goes on in RnF! If you come hang with us we'll treat you pretty well :)

Great thread Derubael, I'm looking forward to the EVEN BIGGER influx of noobs. Totally making a brand new char for grouping once my semester ends!

Derubael
04-29-2014, 06:10 PM
I'm sure there are more ass holes on a server that has a 15:1 player ratio.

That's why I said it's the same percentage, not total number.

jaybone
04-29-2014, 06:19 PM
That's why I said it's the same percentage, not total number.

Gotcha, the server is toxic though.

Ingrum
04-29-2014, 06:21 PM
Please stop spamming the blue server with this stuff if I answer!

I have just always felt that the gameplay mechanics of EverQuest were built with PvE content in mind, and the PvP mechanics were just slapped in there to keep 10% of their player base happy. In my opinion, EverQuest has a terrible engine for PvPers and 14 years of reverse engineering isn't going to fix that (IF you want keep it classic that is)

I would play on a red server if the PvP mechanics were completely stripped away and some real ones were put in.

Tasslehofp99
04-29-2014, 06:29 PM
I feel as if the general atmosphere on red is toxic and not conducive to classic EQ nostalgia. The players there remind me of the type of kids you would experience on xbox live playing Call of Duty or Halo, or maybe WoW even (never played WoW so couldn't say for sure.)

I would however play on red(occasionally) if transfers from blue to red were allowed, with no-drop gear atleast. I only say this because leveling up on that server would prove to be too annoying/not fun for any sane everquest player. The ratio of trolls and ignorant/immature man children on that server to normal people is just too high for it to succeed at this point.

Pint
04-29-2014, 06:34 PM
Allow trading of in game accts on red and I'd buy one (with platinum!) and tool around over there

Rhuma7
04-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Wrong thread

bloodmuffin
04-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Why did you quit? You disabled the amazing XP bonus while I was in the middle enjoying the fast paced leveling on my wizard.

What did you like about the server? The Xp bonus.

Would you want to play again? Not anymore. I bet the party exp is great but I never wanted to be grouped up anyway. I rolled a character specifically to solo and explore red99, it was going great until you guys decided to turn it off without a vote. That made me butthurt, and mad. Buttmad. I deleted him in spite.

Rec
04-29-2014, 06:42 PM

I don't like FFA pvp that's what is stopping me from playing. I like teams. It doesn't matter to me the game, I wouldn't like ffa pvp in any mmorpg.

Erydan Ouragan
04-29-2014, 06:44 PM
I played WoW almost exclusively pvp for 8 years and loved it, but i would never, ever play on Red99 for several reasons.

1: Everquest classic is a harsh, unforgiving game. When you die, you lose xp, your items are on your corpse and you spawn usually a couple zones away from your corpse. Even with SoW, it's a long trip doing nothing other that traveling. So not only that can happen at any time on a PvP server but your money and 1 item from your inventory gets looted on top of it. LOL.

2: Everquest was never designed to be a PvP game. Even games like WoW, who were designed with a PvE focus, had some sort of PvP balance built in. Devs that created EQ PvP servers basically copy/pasted the server code and modified some bits so that players could attack each other, locked the door and threw away the key.

3: I'm a nice person. No really. I'm not saying that playing on Red makes you automatically a bad person, it's just that i'm an extremely helpful and nice person. I go somewhere and camp is taken? GL man and have a nice day, hope you have your item :), playing on Red, i would basically never try to kill or grief anybody, because considering point #1 from above, it would make me feel too bad doing so. So my time on the server would be basically playing PvE and dodging PvP, pointless to play Red then.

On WoW PvP was structured and amazing. I had a reason to heal my friends who were killing alliance, because alliance was standing in the way of the victory, therefore destroy alliance. Logical. On Red, what incentive do i have? Take the camp from a guy? Loot one of his items and his money? What if the guy is a really cool guy? Wouldn't it be better to have him as a friend instead? Logically, having more friends than enemies assures your survival in a harsh environment.

Barkingturtle
04-29-2014, 06:49 PM

I have barely played Red. I don't mind shit-talking. Shit-talking is good. But I don't tolerate the words '******' and 'faggot'. Without fail, the few times I've logged onto Red these words have been used in ooc.

In my experience nothing positive really distinguished Red from Blue. That is, I liked it as much as I would like any low-pop blue server -- which is quite a lot. I like to solo and I like Everquest. Granted, I think I've only leveled to 5 or something.

Yes. I prefer PvP in any game I play because I am your stereotypical Alpha and I find the best means of expressing my dominance is through computer gaming.

Tankdan
04-29-2014, 06:50 PM
Like most people, I believe PVP and EQ do not mix, it's an absolute joke.

Kika Maslyaka
04-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Like most people, I believe PVP and EQ do not mix, it's an absolute joke.

+1 classes that are disbalanced as is, even more horribly disbalanced for PvP

At least make teams server.

But truly - meh. When I want to kill other people I play Unreal Tournament.
Or Guild Wars 2

gummab
04-29-2014, 07:02 PM
First off i got to say i love pvp,just not eq pvp it is truly unbalanced.

Well i did try a few months back,but lasted 20mins /ooc was colorful to say the least reminded me of when i was back in school.

was not there long enough to like anything.

On a fresh server maybe

Derubael
04-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the input everyone, keep it coming!

We've addressed most/all of the issues you guys have brought up so far, but we're still working to improve the enjoyment everyone gets out of the box!

qombi
04-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Reason I left:

The reason I left red previously was being harassed off the server when a few friends and I joined. We were accused of being a boxer and then proceeded to be killed over and over again until we quit by a low level twink.

We also quit because the low population and at the time the long xp grind. The xp grind on blue is bad enough but also on red you are being hunted by other players slowing you down.

We really wanted to enjoy PvP. It just isn't fun being extremely out geared to the point you have no chance of competing.

Would I play there again:

Yes if there was a bounty system I would. Then the high level players would have incentive to kill Pk'ers.

no chewie dont
04-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Reason I left:

The reason I left red previously was being harassed off the server when a few friends and I joined. We were accused of being a boxer and then proceeded to be killed over and over again until we quit by a low level twink.

We also quit because the low population and at the time the long xp grind. The xp grind on blue is bad enough but also on red you are being hunted by other players slowing you down.

We really wanted to enjoy PvP. It just isn't fun being extremely out geared to the point you have no chance of competing.

Would I play there again:

Yes if there was a bounty system I would. Then the high level players would have incentive to kill Pk'ers.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee432/robn3030/yikes_zpsa5e68c3d.jpg
using gear gap as an excuse is kind of ...blue

Glasken
04-29-2014, 07:23 PM
As part of our ongoing promotion of Red 99, I would like to pose this question to our blue community members:

To answer this question, I'll tell a short story:

I play during off-hours mostly, any many of the guilds I had talked to at the time were not interested in a recruit unless you were: "Level 55+, and keyed for HS, Seb, and VP".

I had leveled a necro on red up to 40 and was enjoying some time at the spectres camp near the fear portal. I was mostly naked, aside from some newbie quest items. Didn't even have a robe.

Over the course of a weekend, I had been attacked by: a wizard, a bard, a shaman, another necro, and a shadow knight. All were significantly higher level than me, none were the least bit interested in the camp I was at, and all were from different guilds. In short: they had nothing to gain from the PK, yet continued to do so (the bard seemed to be happy just corpse camping, for zero reason). After attempting to fight back and discovering that I was severely outclassed, there wasn't much more to do but leave the camp and find somewhere else to go.

To me, that is not what the PvP scene should be. Walk up to someone far worse off than yourself and punk them? GG. I'm glad you feel better, but that behavior is the reason red was such a low pop for so long.

PvP to take a camp from another group. To stop another guild from taking your content. To try and best someone for bragging rights. But randomly killing someone just because they aren't in a guild, or because you were just passing through, they were in range, and couldn't stand a chance against you? No thanks.

At the time, the exp bonus was attractive. Further, so many posts on blue forums stating how everyone should "give red a shot" and "we support newcomers" blah blah, you've seen them all.
I like the idea of being able to fight over a camp or settle raid disputes without crying to GM intervention, I saw none of that. Maybe if I was to get to 60, gear myself, and get keyed like all the guilds asked I might have been able to see the benefits of PvP.

Teams99. Make it, merge it. I'll be there.

----

To clarify: I know the PvP game is cutthroat compared to blue, I get it. What I did not expect was the prison shank mentality from so many of the players there. Complain of low population and then gank the newbies into oblivion with your MQed rogue, or taunt newcomers mercilessly in the global ooc (which is some of the singular, vile conversation I have seen online, not winning points there), not really helping your cause.

I see reds population holding in the upper 100's. If it stays there, and the resulting population dilutes the shit to a reasonable level, I might decide to come have a look.

Red's biggest issue? Culture. I came, I gave it a shot, and your red "community" showed just how little interest they had. Message heard, loud and clear.

sox7d
04-29-2014, 07:25 PM
I didn't want to play a solo class.

Tasslehofp99
04-29-2014, 07:30 PM

I have barely played Red. I don't mind shit-talking. Shit-talking is good. But I don't tolerate the words '******' and 'faggot'. Without fail, the few times I've logged onto Red these words have been used in ooc.

Thanks for the input everyone, keep it coming!

We've addressed most/all of the issues you guys have brought up so far, but we're still working to improve the enjoyment everyone gets out of the box!

I was just on red the day of the patch/changes and /ooc was still littered with venom. Need to start handing out 6 month bans for people using "******" and "Faggot" in /ooc.

I'm not particularly offended by it but it is really annoying to log on that server and know I'm sharing it with such pieces of trash.

Swish
04-29-2014, 07:31 PM
using gear gap as an excuse is kind of ...blue

Totally with chewie on that. Chances are when you see another level 5-6 character XP'ing they'll be as naked as you....maybe they'll have a cracked staff though ;)

You won't win every fight, but you won't win any fights if you sit in the EC tunnel watching auction spam and sow requests go up the screen.

Juevento
04-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Fix your LnS rule. It's not classic at all. If you die you should be out of action.

That's the kind of simple stuff that will make red more attractive.

Also hard code groups (or better yet guilds) as immune to PvP.

Swish
04-29-2014, 07:37 PM
Fix your LnS rule. It's not classic at all. If you die you should be out of action.

That's the kind of simple stuff that will make red more attractive.

Also hard code groups (or better yet guilds) as immune to PvP.

I think that's 50/50, change it and the other half who are okay with it won't like the "fixes".

NegaStoat
04-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Reasons why I wouldn't play on Red.

1) I wasn't here at the start of P1999, but I understood the colossal effort involved with this project the moment I set foot in here. Recapturing the look and feel of classic EQ is a massive, simply huge effort that is shared by both the staff and the players in terms of research, locating bugs, and getting the bugs fixed to make things as perfect as possible.

During the early server phase of development after launch, there's going to be bugs. And exploits. And it's up to the honor and integrity of the players seeking that classic play environment to step forward and help the staff - not exploit the system for the best loot. But that's what FAR too many players on Red did in the early days, with the goal being early dominance over enemy players due to the PvP setting.

2) The experience bonus removal was mostly enacted as a means of countering the quick leveling of banned players that would return on fresh accounts. Recovering maximum level in as little as 3 weeks (or 2 weeks, depending) meant that bans were futile.

The return of experience bonuses when grouped will mean a return to banned players emerging on the server once more, with the provision that they must be grouped to gain that leveling speed being a laughable 'setback'. I sincerely hope this is being watched closely.

3) The only way I'd play on a Red EQ server is with teams, with some sort of Houserule settings being used for determining the teams as the classic good / neutral / evil teams were broken with the advent of Iksar. Ovethere Hammer = our raid force is mobilized, have a nice day!

But here's the problem. Even if a new PvP Teams server WAS launched, it's been Set In Stone that the new server would only last for 6 months, and then the two Red servers would be merged. Meaning all the tainted bullcrap of the first server would be lumped into the pristine launched server.

No. just, no. I hope my thoughts don't offend too badly, and please, I really do appreciate the incredible work the staff does.

Edit - freedom of being able to type whatever a person wants into a global / zone chat without repercussions isn't my cup of tea either.

Jauna
04-29-2014, 07:54 PM
Considering I dont remember any Red advertizements on Blue servers back on Live, this is pretty bad and hope you all stop with it soon. You all have your own server, you all have your own forums, you even made Legends Status and right next to our server name. Your OOC is filled with WoW-barrens level chat and greatly unappealing. Whenever I see the weekly "Come to Red!" threads people never start out by saying "Come, exp for a little while in a brand new* world with other people in crushbone while a twink epic level 10 rogue waits for your party to get low hp to ambush you to make your life worse" Sorry but "Blue" is popular across all MMOs for a reason to not worry about getting ganked for being afk, just got out of a rough battle or having to worry about getting ganked in a dark alley in freeport after wanting to buy something off someone.

For all you people complaining about a gear gap, get used to it. They will never wipe Red, for if they do all the people who traded Blue>Red plat/gear will be pissed the fuck off.

Also I really hope after this week long thing is over you all tone it down, I mean its getting silly. You all remind me of that one kid who is too good at King of the Hill on the playground and shouting at kids to come play with him when no one wants to. You can give out rewards all you want, as many events as you want or even give out free VP geared level 60s... but once is all said and done you are still on a PvP server that has been proven time and time again to not be popular or wanted by 4/5** or so of your playerbase

* = new to you, people have been here for years waiting for you to show up to kill you
** = During primetime I see roughly 1100~ Blue Players, and recently 200~ Red players

Valere
04-29-2014, 07:56 PM
I played PvP on live and have no interest in Red99 here due to the toxic community that is the core of Red99.

Softcore PK
04-29-2014, 07:57 PM
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee432/robn3030/yikes_zpsa5e68c3d.jpg

Simply beautiful.

NegaStoat
04-29-2014, 08:51 PM
. Also I really hope after this week long thing is over you all tone it down, I mean its getting silly. You all remind me of that one kid who is too good at King of the Hill on the playground and shouting at kids to come play with him when no one wants to.

I made a new chat window, assigned System Messages to it, and then shrank it down and moved it to the screen border. Server Announcements are a tool imparting information to a captive audience. If it's repeatedly used for something not pertaining to my play server, I shut the stupid thing off.

jaybone
04-29-2014, 09:04 PM
I was just on red the day of the patch/changes and /ooc was still littered with venom. Need to start handing out 6 month bans for people using "******" and "Faggot" in /ooc.

I'm not particularly offended by it but it is really annoying to log on that server and know I'm sharing it with such pieces of trash.

1 month ban for tmo cheating but 6 month ban for ******? Get real dude.

jaybone
04-29-2014, 09:11 PM

1 month ban for tmo cheating but 6 month ban for ******? Get real dude.

arsenalpow
04-29-2014, 09:32 PM
N/A

I like that it's at least an attempt at everquest PVP. I probably have more EQ pvp experience than most people. Started on VZ the first week it opened and SZ day 1 until PoP. The ruleset and playerbase will never live up to my previous experience.

Nope.

If not, why?
PvP is all about PvE unfortunately. No amount of skill can overcome 2 years worth of VP farming. How do you slay that which has no life?

The playerbase on Red is mostly VZTZ degenerates and it's easily the worst accumulation of trolls and no lifers I've ever seen. You can't PvP without being called a faggot 7 times and being spam clicked by 17 different instagib items. Sullon/Vallon were fun attempting to be a shark in a sea full of fish. When it's a sea full of sharks it gets pretty bleak.

Byrjun
04-29-2014, 09:45 PM
If you played on Red 1999 in the past, why did you quit? What did you like about the server? Would you want to play again? If not, why?

I played on Red 1999 when it launched. Probably the worst online community I had ever encountered. Then it got to the point that Nihilum was the only guild on the server and it felt pretty pointless to play a pvp server at that point so I quit. Blue had more competition than Red.

That was back when people actually played on the server. Now with an average population of 80 there's no way I'm going back.

Wipe it clean, try to do teams or something and hope the community that decides to roll there isn't so awful again.

phacemeltar
04-29-2014, 11:35 PM
ive only known about project1999 for almost a year now. when i first started, i wanted to join the server with the highest population to increase my chances of finding a group. i like how friendly people are on blue, and also how there is usually high chances to find a group at any level camp.

i have recently made a toon on red that i plan to solo with when the pop on blue is excessive. i like the concept of pvp combat, but i am not really a huge fan of how it currently works. FFA to me seems a little extreme, and i could think of many situations when this could make for a bad experience. i have mentioned this on forums a few times, but if there was an option to play on a race-based teams server (more than 2 teams, each race is its own team, racial ooc, common skill unlearned at start for non-humans) then i would be there 100%. the only thing that really keeps me from playing red is that everyone is a potential enemy, making it really hard to bring myself to look for groups to level with.

Grimfan
04-30-2014, 12:50 AM
Totally with chewie on that. Chances are when you see another level 5-6 character XP'ing they'll be as naked as you....maybe they'll have a cracked staff though ;)

You won't win every fight, but you won't win any fights if you sit in the EC tunnel watching auction spam and sow requests go up the screen.

I feel like this is an okay example of why I'm not that interested in the PVP server in general. Every time I hear about it I think I might try it out, then someone says they are not that interested, and all you hear are subtle digs at the person, and how awful they are because they prefer a more PVE focused environment. I love EverQuest PVP, but part of the love of it comes from having a really great community and I'm just not seeing it when I read the forum posts.

Sorry if I offend you btw Swish, you're just a primary example of someone that posts digs at people for enjoying blue. I get that you (and many others) find the blue lifestyle to be boring, but telling people how they are wasting their time playing it is just crappy and it doesn't make me want to play your server any more, and if I were you, I'd keep this thread to just a poll and stop defending/promoting the server and just let people say what they dislike about Red and why they do not want to play there.

Edit: Oh yes, and I am really looking forward to teams, that is my favorite PVP ruleset.

pasi
04-30-2014, 02:29 AM

If you played on Red 1999 in the past, why did you quit? What did you like about the server? Would you want to play again? If not, why? If you have never played on Red 99, what has kept you away? (If the answer to the last question is simply "Not interested in PvP" you do not need to post, but thank you for reading!)

I believe this question may have been asked before by one of your Red community members, but I wanted to get something official. You'll notice this is not a poll, so please place your comments in a post below. Please provide as much detail as possible.

I humbly request that you do not include suggestions on how to "fix" or "improve" the server, but instead simply answer the questions provided above. If you have suggestions for the server, I am always happy to receive them in my PM box!

I'll bite. Wall of Text inc.

It became clear early on in Red99's development that the direction that the server was going in a direction that I didn't agree with.

1) For starters, I wanted a hands-off GM policy server with hardcoded rules and anti-hacking stuff. Perceived GM favoritism is a pretty serious thing with the playerbase I knew we were going to have. You'll note that the server was a ghost town for a long fucking time after the Holocaust banning which was blatant GM favoritism.

Related Thread: http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33605

2) Next up, I wanted teams. I still feel that the EQ PvP population is pretty small, and thought people were naive for thinking Red99 was going to be super populated just because it was Project 1999.

It really comes down to whether or not we want to try something different or just recreate VZTZ. I don't think we can assume that just because this is a Rogean/99 server, that we're going to have a large population (at least after the short term).

Again, I don't think there is going to be anything that will deter people more from the game than not having people to play with on a guild vs guild server. I agree that there is nothing wrong with essentially forcing players to join a guild to progress. For me, the issue is how soon. How soon should you be required to join a guild upon starting on this server? If you expect solo players to find a guild right out of the gate before they know people on the server, you are delusional. Some of the players will stick around, but the majority will quit.

Keep in mind that with no boxes and slow exp, a guild is going to be even more necessary than it was on VZTZ.

There are a lot of issues with teams, but most of these are not that hard to fix. Off the top of my head: Classes not available on both teams? Fuck lore, both teams have all classes. Crossteaming? Hardcode it. Two guilds on the same team going after the same raid target? Make raid zones (plus say, LGuk) FFA.

I think I nailed this one. Nothing stunts population growth more than new players not having anyone to play with.

3) I thought EXP-loss on PvP death was absolutely retarded for encouraging PvP. For levels 1-49, an EXP loss for most classes is way worse than losing your Dwarven Ringmail Tunic, and we know how much item loot deters folk. Furthermore, people already camped or gated at the first /who of someone zoning in - this only furthered that. Yellow Text from your enemies was encouraging/discouraging enough.

4) Rogean and Nilbog wanted to implement a system that made zone plugging not a surefire way to avoid death... and the playerbase rejected it. This would have been one of the greatest achievements in EQ-coding history.

Thread: http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46443

5) There was some admittedly dumb stuff (for the server's health) that I think only Lethdar and myself really wanted too: full-blown classic spells. Like, you could charm and fear PCs. I think EQ PvP from a mechanical standpoint is atrocious, but the ability to really fuck people over (even if it's just resource control) is the selling factor.

I still ended up playing and selling my cleric fairly early on. I don't really have the time for either red or blue, but I've got an army of wealth and characters on blue so I just play there. Plus, being able to afk or tab out to another game is a beautiful thing.

bigsykedaddy
04-30-2014, 02:40 AM
I have never played on Red 99. I sometimes think I would like to try it out, but then I remember how much time I have invested in my toons on Blue 99. If we were able to copy toons from blue 99 to red 99 I would be in.

Kazi
04-30-2014, 03:28 AM
How about that Jauna, eh? Hope she feels better after getting that off her chest.

I started P99 on red a few months ago but quit because of a lack of faith in the staff. In the face of an ever-dwindling pop initially due to a nerf, they had nothing to say but have faith and good riddance. With recent changes, I will give red another chance as the staff have followed through on their promise. Thanks for that.

That said, I feel the current exp is a bit too much. For example, a friend of mine went from 27 to 38 in about 12 hours with current group xp bonus. If we are trying to foster low level game, it won't work. I feel 200% bonus with a full group is safe.

Ravager
04-30-2014, 08:27 AM
Tie PvP to faction and I'd consider playing.

Also, Project M.

Mindless PK for no reason in a fantasy world is dumb. Even the characters in Game of Thrones have motivation to murder someone more than "he was there".

Jauna
04-30-2014, 10:12 AM
How about that Jauna, eh? Hope she feels better after getting that off her chest.

I started P99 on red a few months ago but quit because of a lack of faith in the staff. In the face of an ever-dwindling pop initially due to a nerf, they had nothing to say but have faith and good riddance. With recent changes, I will give red another chance as the staff have followed through on their promise. Thanks for that.

That said, I feel the current exp is a bit too much. For example, a friend of mine went from 27 to 38 in about 12 hours with current group xp bonus. If we are trying to foster low level game, it won't work. I feel 200% bonus with a full group is safe.

You know, I never even thought about it until now.. is Red99 slowing down production/development Velious for Project1999?

Vega
04-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Hey Derubael, serious question. Why the push now for Red99? There have already been statements that Teams99 won't get dev attention till after Velious. So I guess it probably feels like Red99 is in limbo. But, if all the people trying Red99 now, plus even more who aren't, would be willing to flood a new Teams99 server, and the devs have stated that the two will not both exist for extended periods of time, why the push? If we're relatively sure Teams99 is the end goal why all the effort for Red99? It's actually not even a fair competition for Red99, since quite a few red people will jump ship for a new teams server in a heartbeat, aswell (Yay! New Server!).

I'm not trying to belittle your effort this week, cause I think it shows you care. But I'm just not sure I see the big picture.

khanable
04-30-2014, 11:36 AM
I had a level ~4ish Iksar SK. FoB was mostly a ghost town except for people that rolled 2-3 deep and wanted to gank me. I get it's a pvp server, but there was zero incentive to do anything but solo and avoid people to make any sort of progress what so ever. Basically, the barrier for entry was stupid high.
global OOC was luls, made the world feel less barren
I am giving it go currently!
If not, why?
n/a
n/a

Supaskillz
04-30-2014, 11:37 AM
I played on red99 before kunark and very start of kunark. I had a lot of fun for a while, community def has some bad seeds but this issue is overblown and gets exaggerated by global ooc. The smaller the community got the worse it got though. Hopefully things are looking up again. I also don't like the top end on the server. It's dominated by 1 guild and it seems destined to stay that way. The incentives are such that you want to always have the biggest guild to win all the pvp battles and kill the content. Another negative in my book is I think people are generally bad at showing respect for rivals. People whine when they lose and shit talk when they win, but this is not unique to the server but you are constantly subjected to it on the server. There are exceptions, but not many.

I don't really like using vent/team speak which is a big problem if you want to join a guild on the server.

I would encourage people to try it out with a couple if friends. It's a blast when you have a crew and can fight for camps vs rival crews. I think top end has potential but it's very difficult for there to be a balance where multiple guilds can have success. I know exp bonus brings players but sort of sad for all of you going to skip the battles in guk and mm. Those were my most enjoyable times

freez
04-30-2014, 12:02 PM
I played on red99 before kunark and very start of kunark. I had a lot of fun for a while, community def has some bad seeds but this issue is overblown and gets exaggerated by global ooc. The smaller the community got the worse it got though. Hopefully things are looking up again. I also don't like the top end on the server. It's dominated by 1 guild and it seems destined to stay that way. The incentives are such that you want to always have the biggest guild to win all the pvp battles and kill the content. Another negative in my book is I think people are generally bad at showing respect for rivals. People whine when they lose and shit talk when they win, but this is not unique to the server but you are constantly subjected to it on the server. There are exceptions, but not many.

I don't really like using vent/team speak which is a big problem if you want to join a guild on the server.

I would encourage people to try it out with a couple if friends. It's a blast when you have a crew and can fight for camps vs rival crews. I think top end has potential but it's very difficult for there to be a balance where multiple guilds can have success. I know exp bonus brings players but sort of sad for all of you going to skip the battles in guk and mm. Those were my most enjoyable times

theres a difference between a new player getting pvp for the first time and complaining and some vets fighting / trash talking afterward for whatever reason.

we have our reasons at the top

Juevento
04-30-2014, 12:11 PM
Haven't played before this week.

n/a

Giving it a go now.

If not, why?
I didnt in the past because of the exp loss due to PvP death. Also the reputation of the server honestly scared me away. P99 blue was the first blue server I ever played so I am a PvP guy at heart. The new PnP and exp bonus (with the benefit of grouping) was enough of an inticement to get me to try it out. So far having fun.

See above.

arsenalpow
04-30-2014, 12:14 PM
The problem is there isn't an incentive to pvp aside from yellow texting a loudmouth to appease the degenerate masses. Everquest pvp is inherently pve related. On SZ the evil team ran off and hid, out leveled the rest of the server then crushed everyone.

If you really want to encourage pvp the staff needs to wipe this server out, start fresh with something team based and cap leveling for specifically set increments to make sure something like SZ doesn't happen. They need to incentivize pvp with xp bonuses to specific zones by controlling their access through pvp. They could reimplement the insignia system for rewards. The current setup sucks.

khanable
04-30-2014, 12:19 PM
chest lost to skarry in pvp in sky, I saw it live

arsenalpow
04-30-2014, 12:22 PM
chest lost to skarry in pvp in sky, I saw it live

Which is why soulfires are nerfed on red.

HippoNipple
04-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Grouping
Last night as I was playing there were groups at orcs in east commons, unrest, mm, upper guk, solb and CoM. These were just groups being formed over /ooc. I know there were also guild formed groups I had no idea about.

If you want to avoid PvP and like to afk/med while you solo there are also countless places to do this in the karanas or out in open fields.

Almost all confrontation can be avoided by talking to players before you see them. Most will be up front with you if you ask to team up but if there is no dialogue and you aren't in the same guild PvP does happen most of the time. If you zone in somewhere and a guild has a group you can most likely join them no problem whether you know them or not as long as you aren't in a competing guild (Azrael vs Nihilum).

PvP death only loses you coin. The only loss is time if you are smart about unloading your coin (banking or purchasing gems from vendors) and this is more than made up by the exp bonus instated. 50% static exp bonus +40% exp per group member. This new rule has increased grouping and discouraged people from being anti social. It has never been easier to start a group dependent class on red.

Small community does end up helping people more in my opinion. Most players 50+ will give new players items to get started. I saw a group in Oasis yesterday being PL by a bard. I gave a rogue an old exe hood and bloodstained mantle and I could see some of the other members in the group also had stuff given to them to get them started.

Raid content - with the lower population you can jump into the raid scene much easier than on Blue. Red raiding allows casual and hard core players to do end game content and get out what they put in. You don't need to be in a click and you can move to the top as quick as your play time allows. The population and current guild loot systems also reward casual players who want to progress slowly with relaxed play times. You can raid 10 hours a week and be decked out pretty quick.

HippoNipple
04-30-2014, 12:29 PM
The problem is there isn't an incentive to pvp aside from yellow texting a loudmouth to appease the degenerate masses. Everquest pvp is inherently pve related. On SZ the evil team ran off and hid, out leveled the rest of the server then crushed everyone.

If you really want to encourage pvp the staff needs to wipe this server out, start fresh with something team based and cap leveling for specifically set increments to make sure something like SZ doesn't happen. They need to incentivize pvp with xp bonuses to specific zones by controlling their access through pvp. They could reimplement the insignia system for rewards. The current setup sucks.

Everquest is a PvE game and that is the reward for PvP. You can fight for the PvE content. There is no waiting in lines for camps on the red server which for me alone is enough to never log in blue again. It makes it so there is always something to do. PvP or PvE.

arsenalpow
04-30-2014, 12:47 PM
Everquest is a PvE game and that is the reward for PvP. You can fight for the PvE content. There is no waiting in lines for camps on the red server which for me alone is enough to never log in blue again. It makes it so there is always something to do. PvP or PvE.

Sure. At the very end when everything caps PvP will be possible but I'm talking about something entirely different. Let's say Red is relaunched in the same way it was originally. I start with a crew of 24 players and my decry is to level as fast as humanly possibly, avoid pvp because it only takes away from leveling. Your crew stops and smells the roses (pvps at multiple stages throughout the game) Now both our crews are level capped but my crew has been in the planes for a solid 60 days longer than yours has because we raced to 60. We now have better gear, better resists, more hp, better weapons. No amount of strategy, skill, and/or tactics can stop a better geared force. The only way to compete with that is a zerg.

I'm saying that if there's a relaunch there needs to be level caps and a strong benefit to pvp.

freez
04-30-2014, 12:50 PM
We now have better gear, better resists, more hp, better weapons. No amount of strategy, skill, and/or tactics can stop a better geared force.

LOL

is this a troll or?

arsenalpow
04-30-2014, 12:53 PM
LOL

is this a troll or?

Lived it homie. Evil team shit stomped SZ with that exact strat.

freez
04-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Ok well here on red we have proven we can beat the zerg with less numbers, and gear.

So false.

freez
04-30-2014, 12:55 PM
I mean you obviously have no idea about what has been happening on red in the last year so ima let u finish.

khanable
04-30-2014, 12:56 PM
We're not operating on 100% classic mechanics

So the idea that gear/resists/levels helped tremendously on SZ can be true
And the idea that it doesn't help much on red can be true

I just saved you guys 5 pages of arguments

Wrench
04-30-2014, 12:57 PM
gdi cucu, im bored, i wanted to read those 5 pages

arsenalpow
04-30-2014, 01:00 PM
Ok well here on red we have proven we can beat the zerg with less numbers, and gear.

So false.

You guys sure resoundingly dethroned Nihilum. It only took 2 years, a RMT ban wave, and 10 different reformed guilds. Way to persevere though. Long live pvp "skill"

freez
04-30-2014, 01:02 PM
You guys sure resoundingly dethroned Nihilum. It only took 2 years, a RMT ban wave, and 10 different reformed guilds. Way to persevere though. Long live pvp "skill"

ouch i knew you had to be biased

i wasnt braggin. you said no amount of "skill" will out do the gear. skill was your word.

my point is you have no idea what youre talking about. so stop posting here like you do, ya dig?

pasi
04-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Decent point, but bad era for that point.

Classic and Kunark don't really matter if you're raid geared or not. You'll have slightly better stats and weapons, but most of the time it doesn't matter as the gains from raid gear aren't much. There's basically 2 items like this in Kunark. You're still using basically the same weapons and same resist gear.

When you start getting to Velious Raid gear and beyond, it's a different game. My rings might have +8 to all resists. Raiding folks could have that plus AC, stats, and 100HP/mana.

You can get to the point where you have one group of people that have twice the health, twice the damage, and are immune to lifetaps and lures.

Fortunately, that point is impossible to reach in Kunark and Classic. Velious does have items that can lead to this situation, but the influx of them is pretty low. The +10sv all and 100HP stuff is only found in a few slots.

arsenalpow
04-30-2014, 01:10 PM
ouch i knew you had to be biased

i wasnt braggin. you said no amount of "skill" will out do the gear. skill was your word.

my point is you have no idea what youre talking about. so stop posting here like you do, ya dig?

I'm not biased at all. The only connection I had to red was that my best friend was Xzeal who sold very early into the server (back when that shit was legal)

Just because I don't agree with your assessment of the situation shouldn't mean I'm biased. It's not really a secret that Nil owned content for years due to any manner of shitbaggery, tin foil hat staff involvement, or other means of subterfuge. Sounds like Az is just now taking control of the server but I don't even know if that's just forumquest hyperbole or the legit truth. If it is legit then it's taken two years to happen which pretty much defeats your argument of "skill wins out, because see we did it"

arsenalpow
04-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Decent point, but bad era for that point.

Classic and Kunark don't really matter if you're raid geared or not. You'll have slightly better stats and weapons, but most of the time it doesn't matter as the gains from raid gear aren't much. There's basically 2 items like this in Kunark. You're still using basically the same weapons and same resist gear.

When you start getting to Velious Raid gear and beyond, it's a different game. My rings might have +8 to all resists. Raiding folks could have that plus AC, stats, and 100HP/mana.

You can get to the point where you have one group of people that have twice the health, twice the damage, and are immune to lifetaps and lures.

Fortunately, that point is impossible to reach in Kunark and Classic. Velious does have items that can lead to this situation, but the influx of them is pretty low. The +10sv all and 100HP stuff is only found in a few slots.

Ya velious was open on SZ from the start so that gear gap was pretty insane. In the kunark era a lead wouldn't be so insurmountable unless there was unsubstantiated VP farming for months on end but even then you can only get so lucky with drops and it wouldn't mean a raid force was invincible.

Ella`Ella
04-30-2014, 01:18 PM
Chest, just stop.

arsenalpow
04-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Chest, just stop.

This is a thread for discussing the red server sir. If we get to a point in the conversation regarding merging a guild into it's hated rival to secure additional loot I'll hit you up. Your knowledge would be valuable on that subject.

freez
04-30-2014, 01:38 PM
This isnt live. So if you have not been in these battles first hand, and seen that gear and levels dont allways mean victory. Neither do numbers.

Sure you can throw 70vs 20 and thats gonna be gg. But 30 vs 40 with the 40 having better gear, fuller spell books, and more players isnt going to seal a win.

Like... i see it every time i log in..

Ive been in over 100 mass pvp battles on here, but you can tell me im wrong because you played SZ 13 years ago.

Ella`Ella
04-30-2014, 01:48 PM
This is a thread for discussing the red server sir. If we get to a point in the conversation regarding merging a guild into it's hated rival to secure additional loot I'll hit you up. Your knowledge would be valuable on that subject.

Was this before or after we took your best players?

freez
04-30-2014, 01:49 PM

gonna get fuckin banned

HippoNipple
04-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Sure. At the very end when everything caps PvP will be possible but I'm talking about something entirely different. Let's say Red is relaunched in the same way it was originally. I start with a crew of 24 players and my decry is to level as fast as humanly possibly, avoid pvp because it only takes away from leveling. Your crew stops and smells the roses (pvps at multiple stages throughout the game) Now both our crews are level capped but my crew has been in the planes for a solid 60 days longer than yours has because we raced to 60. We now have better gear, better resists, more hp, better weapons. No amount of strategy, skill, and/or tactics can stop a better geared force. The only way to compete with that is a zerg.

I'm saying that if there's a relaunch there needs to be level caps and a strong benefit to pvp.

The incentive to PvP is taking the PvE content. If you have additional incentive then that hardcore team of 24 would be stomping the other group even harder (item loot if that is what you are referring to).

Gear difference in classic is minimal. Melee are weak anyways so casters are where it's at. The gear you get in planes during classic are easily outweighed by skill and strategy.

Hiero
04-30-2014, 01:52 PM
I quit bc i got scammed out of all my starting money by Tune and you dear Derubael "give zero fucks". I dont want to play on server where GMs dont care.

Glenzig
04-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Voted 5 stars. Keep it going yall.

Glenzig
04-30-2014, 01:53 PM
I quit bc i got scammed out of all my starting money by Tune and you dear Derubael "give zero fucks". I dont want to play on server where GMs dont care.

How did you get scammed out of money?

Ella`Ella
04-30-2014, 01:54 PM
gonna get fuckin banned

He started it.

freez
04-30-2014, 01:55 PM
yeah well your blue drama is cute and all but pick a fight in this thread and ur gonna get fuckin banned

in game

ya dig

Fame
04-30-2014, 01:55 PM
PvP is probably the only emotion I feel anymore

Glasken
04-30-2014, 01:59 PM
Hey Derubael, serious question. Why the push now for Red99? There have already been statements that Teams99 won't get dev attention till after Velious. So I guess it probably feels like Red99 is in limbo. But, if all the people trying Red99 now, plus even more who aren't, would be willing to flood a new Teams99 server, and the devs have stated that the two will not both exist for extended periods of time, why the push? If we're relatively sure Teams99 is the end goal why all the effort for Red99? It's actually not even a fair competition for Red99, since quite a few red people will jump ship for a new teams server in a heartbeat, as well (Yay! New Server!).

I'm not trying to belittle your effort this week, cause I think it shows you care. But I'm just not sure I see the big picture.

I am also curious about this. When the announcement of an eventual Teams99 on modded SZ rules first came up, my interest was peaked. That announcement is what actually got me playing on Red99 again. I thought hey, if the servers will eventually merge, maybe I'll take advantage of the exp bonus while it's here.

If there will be a teams server, and if red will eventually merge (as many on the staff have stated in their live AMAs), why the sudden interest in bringing Red99 back from the dead? Asking out of curiosity not spite.

HippoNipple
04-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Ya velious was open on SZ from the start so that gear gap was pretty insane. In the kunark era a lead wouldn't be so insurmountable unless there was unsubstantiated VP farming for months on end but even then you can only get so lucky with drops and it wouldn't mean a raid force was invincible.

It sounds like you are really worried about not being the most elite player from day one. It isn't a big deal. Level up like normal and you can join a guild to get end game gear down the road. If you want to progress slowly with a crew there is room for another guild. You won't be able to do much in Velious with 24 people anyways, but you can snipe targets in Kunark that are still good.

Your biggest obstacle with a new guild won't be other guilds PvPing you, it will be your members leaving to the other guilds so they can get end game gear much quicker. On Red there is always open recruitment in the top tier guilds and they are downing all content so pixels come easy.

arsenalpow
04-30-2014, 02:10 PM
False
He started it.
False
It sounds like you are really worried about not being the most elite player from day one. It isn't a big deal. Level up like normal and you can join a guild to get end game gear down the road. If you want to progress slowly with a crew there is room for another guild. You won't be able to do much in Velious with 24 people anyways, but you can snipe targets in Kunark that are still good.

Your biggest obstacle with a new guild won't be other guilds PvPing you, it will be your members leaving to the other guilds so they can get end game gear much quicker. On Red there is always open recruitment in the top tier guilds and they are downing all content so pixels come easy.
I'm not worried about anything because I won't be rolling on Red and I'm fully aware of the stepping stone mentality of everquest emulator players when it comes to guilds.

freez
04-30-2014, 02:14 PM
False

False

I'm not worried about anything because I won't be rolling on Red and I'm fully aware of the stepping stone mentality of everquest emulator players when it comes to guilds.

Well we appreciate you stepping by to let us know how 13 years ago gear > skill.

No really.

arsenalpow
04-30-2014, 02:19 PM
So nihilum is overthrown and skill conquers all? What was happening for the two previous years to this happening?

freez
04-30-2014, 02:30 PM
This isnt live. So if you have not been in these battles first hand, and seen that gear and levels dont allways mean victory. Neither do numbers.

Sure you can throw 70vs 20 and thats gonna be gg. But 30 vs 40 with the 40 having better gear, fuller spell books, and more players isnt going to seal a win.

Like... i see it every time i log in..

Ive been in over 100 mass pvp battles on here, but you can tell me im wrong because you played SZ 13 years ago.

freez
04-30-2014, 02:31 PM
also you being from bda talking about "overthrowing" the top is a rib cracker in its own right.

Ella`Ella
04-30-2014, 02:31 PM
also you being from bda talking about "overthrowing" the top is a rib cracker in its own right.

ya gonna get fuckin banned.

arsenalpow
04-30-2014, 02:39 PM

BDA never wanted to overthrow anyone, we want to play the game our way.

Back on topic

Swish
04-30-2014, 02:46 PM
No one wants to play on a server where not only are mobs poopsocked by higher established people but zones and corpses as well?

Make pals, take a group with you...and don't let it happen. You can XP in any zone you like. Just don't be a fool and camp at the KC zone in etc.

Sounds like the usual spoilt blue culture coming out here. If you don't like pvp then you don't like pvp... but there's no excitement in being LFG at the KC/Sebilis zone in for an hour or more, or sharing mobs with 40 other people.

Sounds like you'd rather put up with that than enjoy an immersive environment that can change quickly based on who is around.

freez
04-30-2014, 02:51 PM
BDA never wanted to overthrow anyone, we want to play the game our way.

Back on topic

i could say the same?

we give pity dragons away on red.

its kinda like the sign up on a list to kill dragons here on blue

Scikala
04-30-2014, 02:51 PM
Wayyy off topic has this become.

I went from Blue to Red.

Plain and simple, it's more fun thus far and I have way more encounters with people that have been enjoyable. Even getting killed by a twink in a fungi.

*Edited* - No reason to explain how idiotic people are being, took it out.

Swish
04-30-2014, 02:52 PM
If your sole goal is to have more people play Pvp wipe it clean. The advantages gear and levels have in a Pvp server vs a pve server are thousand fold . See how much you care about the "immersive environment" and not the gear you've already obtained and use

4 level range? Too big for you? What would you prefer?

Glasken
04-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Make pals, take a group with you...and don't let it happen. You can XP in any zone you like. Just don't be a fool and camp at the KC zone in etc.

Sounds like the usual spoilt blue culture coming out here. If you don't like pvp then you don't like pvp... but there's no excitement in being LFG at the KC/Sebilis zone in for an hour or more, or sharing mobs with 40 other people.

Sounds like you'd rather put up with that than enjoy an immersive environment that can change quickly based on who is around.

Swish, I love you. I really do.

This thread was opened with questions to people who either don't play red, or who played it and decided it wasn't for them. However, the last few pages have been filled with red peeps getting defensive and arguing either with each other or with the comments people have posted in response to the mentioned questions.

Freez, Swish and the like, don't get defensive; leave this thread be for answers to the questions posed. Stay on topic.

freez
04-30-2014, 02:54 PM
If your sole goal is to have more people play Pvp wipe it clean. The advantages gear and levels have in a Pvp server vs a pve server are thousand fold . See how much you care about the "immersive environment" and not the gear you've already obtained and use

oh scared to pvp in an emulator because you dont have a full set of gear at level 1?

you are so un educated about the red server its hilarious.

tell me more about how its impossible to pvp someone with better gear.

;)

Swish
04-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Swish, I love you. I really do.

This thread was opened with questions to people who either don't play red, or who played it and decided it wasn't for them. However, the last few pages have been filled with red peeps getting defensive and arguing either with each other or with the comments people have posted in response to the mentioned questions.

Freez, Swish and the like, don't get defensive; leave this thread be for answers to the questions posed.

I didn't mean to sound defensive, I was just offering advice to someone who isn't too clear on the options available to them. That said though, Atalya is trolling in both red posts on page 1 at the moment, so I probably shouldn't bite and let him go the same way as Vidar did (RIP Vidar).

freez
04-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Im not going to read this thread and not call out the people talking about red mechanics when they are 100 % wrong.

Im not going to call someone out here if they know what theyre talking about. They arent stating opinions. They are trying to fool others into believing bull shit that isnt true.

Im not even trolling this thread. Youd know it.

Swish
04-30-2014, 02:58 PM
Im not going to read this thread and not call out the people talking about red mechanics when they are 100 % wrong.

Im not going to call someone out here if they know what theyre talking about. They arent stating opinions. They are trying to fool others into believing bull shit that isnt true.

Im not even trolling this thread. Youd know it.

http://files.backyardchickens.com/img/smilies/goodpost.gif

Derubael
04-30-2014, 02:59 PM
First and most importantly, everyone please stop trolling my thread. Go argue in RnF. This isn't the place for that kind of discussion. I would like to point out, however, that I believe this thread supports my previous statements about blue players being just as adversarial as red players.

Hey Derubael, serious question. Why the push now for Red99? There have already been statements that Teams99 won't get dev attention till after Velious. So I guess it probably feels like Red99 is in limbo. But, if all the people trying Red99 now, plus even more who aren't, would be willing to flood a new Teams99 server, and the devs have stated that the two will not both exist for extended periods of time, why the push? If we're relatively sure Teams99 is the end goal why all the effort for Red99? It's actually not even a fair competition for Red99, since quite a few red people will jump ship for a new teams server in a heartbeat, aswell (Yay! New Server!).

Teams is still a long, long, long ways off. And I truly believe there are a large number of people playing on blue even right now who would have a blast on Red - but don't try the server/return to the server because of poor past experiences. These are people who would help bring some life back into the box and balance the population - not die hard pk reds, but not squishy bluebies either - and give it what it really needs, a nice middle ground. This would have a snowball effect on the server, and be good for everyone.

I'm a big fan of PvP, and I know a lot of other people are as well. Like I've stated in the past, I know Everquest is not the best PvP MMORPG out there, but because of the way it's setup (FFA, difficulty, etc) it creates a unique PvP environment you don't really get anywhere else. I firmly believe this is something every PvP fan should be able to experience and enjoy here on Project 1999. We've been working really hard to improve the community - we've gotten rid of a huge number of asshole players, spoken privately with countless others and let them know what we are trying to do and why. Even those that don't agree with what we're saying have enough respect for us to follow it regardless. The end result is a box that's much more welcoming, less toxic, and more open to new players. With the xp bonus, PnP (loot and scoot), the improvements in the community, the level range.... there's so much there for the PvP fan to give a shot.

One of the things we hear a lot, other than the community issue, is that no one plays on Red - "Oh, well if more people played, I'd play too....". So this is our solution to that. If all of those people who say that start playing this week, the population will skyrocket, and again, a snowball effect will take place and everyone will be able to enjoy pvp grouping, pvp pvp'ing, and pvp craziness.

Lastly, even though teams will eventally come (and I'd like to stress... its still a long way off), when it finally does keep in mind that the servers will eventually be merged - so even if you spend time leveling on Red and then teams comes - you'll be able to enjoy your character far into the future. Red 99 is about as close to a 'fresh server' as anyone is going to get for quite some time - it has an economy with much less mudflation, fewer people, its more accessible, etc. For all of you out there who want a new blue server, Red is where you should be (except for those of you who just want to farm legacy items to RMT... you shouldn't be anywhere but in the cat room).

I had a level ~4ish Iksar SK. FoB was mostly a ghost town except for people that rolled 2-3 deep and wanted to gank me. I get it's a pvp server, but there was zero incentive to do anything but solo and avoid people to make any sort of progress what so ever. Basically, the barrier for entry was stupid high.
global OOC was luls, made the world feel less barren
I am giving it go currently!
If not, why?
n/a
n/a

pras cucumbers :)

There are multiple guilds on Red 99 right now vying for dominance. Up until recently we actually had 3 high end guilds fighting over targets. We have 3 large leveling guilds who do battle in the mid level zones. Nihilum is no longer top dog every week without fail.

There is so much opportunity here... and a lot of fun to be had. That's why we are pushing so hard for Red99 right now - we care about you guys and want everyone to give it a shot, in case they end up having more fun than they would on Blue :)

/endwalloftext holy shit.

Splorf22
04-30-2014, 03:01 PM
If you played on Red 1999 in the past, why did you quit?: Around a year ago I leveled an Enchanter to 40ish. Nihilum also let me borrow one of their 60 enchanters. I sold mine and haven't really looked back.

What did you like about the server?: No poopsocking, which is what tempted me in the first place.

Would you want to play again? If not, why?: No

(warning slightly offtopic). Recently I have been reading a bit about the various internal programming of the human brain. We basically have two motivational systems: pleasure/pain, and reward. When you want to eat a donut because it's tasty, that's pleasure. When you eat the 12th donut even though you are stuffed, that's reward. Things like sugar and sex are pleasureable, but more than that they are rewarding. In my opinion the difference between a casual and a hardcore gamer is that the first is motivated by pleasure and the second is motivated more by reward. The more competitive things get, the more it's about reward and less about fun. Obviously there is a gradual spectrum here, but read comments like this:

Will be returning to Red as soon as I can because it is so much more fun than blue.. . . on blue and I never log on because the server offers no challenge or opportunity to kill other players for camps, coin or luls.

Translation: I need dopamine. Of course we have this on Blue too:
Any game is about having fun. To us, fun is synonymous with conquest and domination. We strive to have the most knowledge, skill, and tactics as well as the quickest mobilization and number of boss kills. Our members are dedicated to defeating the toughest mobs and equipping the best gear in the game.

There really isn't any reason to sit there for 8 hours spamming 'target nearest monster' / 'ranged attack'. It's this 'reward' quality that is responsible for EverQuest's legendary addictiveness, and to some extent we are all back here because we found an easy source of dopamine (relative to our lives for whatever reason). The difference of course is that on Red the hardcore players have a much greater ability to 'dominate' things through PVP. When I played on Red I had to put up with asshats who would talk about how awesome they were at PVP because their Tstaff/Fungi/CoF monk could beat up naked casters.

TL;DR: It's not possible to play casually on Red; it kind of is on Blue.

As an aside, this is one of the reasons this is why I wanted a GM rotation during the long raid talks on Blue.

Also, I just don't feel that EQ PVP is all that great. On my enchanter I would basically just get chain resisted on everything, and at 30 I couldn't even charm a werebat to kill a twink in a fungi - he would regen fast. It was pretty easy to not die (just zone and plug) but it was also just moderately annoying. Mass PVP was pretty much just disorganized running around - an adrenaline rush but not much more. In fact I think it might be interesting to try to organize people better into subgroups kind of like the military.

TL;DR: Red and Blue are probably both too far to really be saved. Once we have a working Velious, nuke them both and release two new servers: Team PVP for red and FV rules for blue.

freez
04-30-2014, 03:20 PM
If you played on Red 1999 in the past, why did you quit?: Around a year ago I leveled an Enchanter to 40ish. Nihilum also let me borrow one of their 60 enchanters. I sold mine and haven't really looked back.

What did you like about the server?: No poopsocking, which is what tempted me in the first place.

Would you want to play again? If not, why?: No

(warning slightly offtopic). Recently I have been reading a bit about the various internal programming of the human brain. We basically have two motivational systems: pleasure/pain, and reward. When you want to eat a donut because it's tasty, that's pleasure. When you eat the 12th donut even though you are stuffed, that's reward. Things like sugar and sex are pleasureable, but more than that they are rewarding. In my opinion the difference between a casual and a hardcore gamer is that the first is motivated by pleasure and the second is motivated more by reward. The more competitive things get, the more it's about reward and less about fun. Obviously there is a gradual spectrum here, but read comments like this:

Translation: I need dopamine. Of course we have this on Blue too:

There really isn't any reason to sit there for 8 hours spamming 'target nearest monster' / 'ranged attack'. It's this 'reward' quality that is responsible for EverQuest's legendary addictiveness, and to some extent we are all back here because we found an easy source of dopamine (relative to our lives for whatever reason). The difference of course is that on Red the hardcore players have a much greater ability to 'dominate' things through PVP. When I played on Red I had to put up with asshats who would talk about how awesome they were at PVP because their Tstaff/Fungi/CoF monk could beat up naked casters.

TL;DR: It's not possible to play casually on Red; it kind of is on Blue.

As an aside, this is one of the reasons this is why I wanted a GM rotation during the long raid talks on Blue.

Also, I just don't feel that EQ PVP is all that great. On my enchanter I would basically just get chain resisted on everything, and at 30 I couldn't even charm a werebat to kill a twink in a fungi - he would regen fast. It was pretty easy to not die (just zone and plug) but it was also just moderately annoying. Mass PVP was pretty much just disorganized running around - an adrenaline rush but not much more. In fact I think it might be interesting to try to organize people better into subgroups kind of like the military.

TL;DR: Red and Blue are probably both too far to really be saved. Once we have a working Velious, nuke them both and release two new servers: Team PVP for red and FV rules for blue.

i just got out of a PM from tldr'ing a guy asking me about enchanter pvp.

If you really want to have fun on this server doing pvp, Dont make an enchanter.

If this was a brand new server as of yesterday, chanters would be GODS in pvp. Because of resists now 2 years later, we arent.

I can still kill people, but i dont hunt for them. And they either have to be A: very bad players or B: really low mr gear

if they have either gear or skill, they will beat the enchanter.

freez
04-30-2014, 03:23 PM
But at the same time, think of the benefit you add to your team with clarity, massive PL possibilities, GMR, and the best haste.

Also you have a AoN in your spell book.. Thats hard to beat.

iruinedyourday
04-30-2014, 04:18 PM
I dont know if you're still accpeting answers to the poll question, since its 12 pages long, when that happens things seem to go on tangents heh.

But here are my answers :)

1. I played rallos for 15 years, still got an account there! 3 actaully :) My problem with PVP was and always will be with the item looting. It is just too much of a penalty for death. What it causes is people either wearing inferior/nodrop only gear (the latter benefiting the successful pk guilds) and that ends up hurting everyone. The best PVP classes, require the least amount of gear to be efficient.. it was a horrible paradox.

That said, I dont have a solution, but once they removed that in live and changed it to a PVP point system, things got a little more stable and PVP was less obtrusive and more of an activity.

They never set up a decent reward system for pvpers though.

I would potentially play on red, but I don't know, seems like too much of a commitment for me to level up a dude on that server for pvp... I wouldn't mind if I could swap over to the server for PVP... please dont flame me for tossing out my thoughts, Just some thoughts.. I trust the devs completely :)

but those are the reasons I wouldn't wan to play red. That and for 15 years I regretted being on red, and always wanted to transfer permanently to a blue server but never did. :)

freez
04-30-2014, 04:23 PM
Well you didnt ask a question and the only thing you can loot off players on red 99 is the coin they are wearing.

iruinedyourday
04-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Well you didnt ask a question and the only thing you can loot off players on red 99 is the coin they are wearing.

Cool :)

Was just responding to the poll.

I suddenly keep thinking I kind of wish I could just elect to do PVP, and type something like /pvp and I would be ported to a PVP server, where everyone was out looking for blood... then port back to my normal blue server for relaxing EQ fun, I would really enjoy that. Akin to electing to do PVP in WoW. heh, ironically if item loots were in on a system something like that, I could be convinced that it might actually be a fun & rewarding risk vs. reward.

God, I really hope I'm not pissing anyone off by saying that, its just something I personally would enjoy. Sorry, Red99 if that is disrespectful to your work for me to suggest something like that! :D

freez
04-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Only thing that annoys me is watching blue players ask questions like theyre stepping on eggshells afraid to ask a question or something.

Red and blue players are the same. You have the occasional reject that nobody can stand. I dont like some on red but nothing compared to people like lron just talking to themselves all day.

Wecoan
04-30-2014, 04:47 PM
I played a little way back in 2003-4 on Rallos, the excitement and thrill are there, especially for those that know the game well enough to take the fear factor out of it. The problem that I have, and I would guess a lot of people, is leveling/hunting alone. PvP is fun, in controlled circumstances, but when you are trying to catch up with the pack and you have a group of friends/guildies camping the best xp zones and you have no one to call for backup...

freez
04-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Youre friends should take the time to help you get up if they came from blue with you, if you know them like that.

Atm you will have the chances to make plenty lvling pals around.

HippoNipple
04-30-2014, 04:50 PM
I played a little way back in 2003-4 on Rallos, the excitement and thrill are there, especially for those that know the game well enough to take the fear factor out of it. The problem that I have, and I would guess a lot of people, is leveling/hunting alone. PvP is fun, in controlled circumstances, but when you are trying to catch up with the pack and you have a group of friends/guildies camping the best xp zones and you have no one to call for backup...

You should give the red server a try. You can play on blue and red at the same time so maybe just during down time to start things off while you hang out in EC tunnel or wait for a camp.

You have had to solo in the past but starting anytime in the next month or two will be a great way to avoid that on red. There are a lot of people helping with PL and starter gear as well as some new groups starting up that are doing it all on their own. The community on red tends to surprise a lot of people because of the bad rep they have on the forums.

Freakish
04-30-2014, 04:51 PM
Nobody likes Lron. Thats why he talks to himself.

loramin
04-30-2014, 04:51 PM
I kind of wish I could just elect to do PVP, and type something like /pvp and I would be ported to a PVP server, where everyone was out looking for blood... then port back to my normal blue server for relaxing EQ fun, I would really enjoy that. Akin to electing to do PVP in WoW. heh, ironically if item loots were in on a system something like that, I could be convinced that it might actually be a fun & rewarding risk vs. reward.

daasgoot
04-30-2014, 04:58 PM
The community on red tends to surprise a lot of people because of the bad rep they have on the forums.

This was definitely true in my experience...

iruinedyourday
04-30-2014, 05:00 PM
You should give the red server a try. You can play on blue and red at the same time so maybe just during down time to start things off while you hang out in EC tunnel or wait for a camp.

THIS!

Are you saying I can open a second window, and have a character camping some xp in red, while I'm doing the same thing on blue?

I'll do that, hell yea. sounds like a great way to kill downtime! while also getting me into red!

Basically, more propoganda! Show me videos of these 100 man battles, show me videos of people having a great time on red, and they will come.

After thinking about it more, that's how I would like to answer the poll, more propoganda will get me to play on red, show me how easy/fun it is, and not going to be painful and that will do it :D

More of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDuHwa0ao_0

Swish
04-30-2014, 05:08 PM
i dont play on red cuz i like girls but if one day i like guys ill come give it a try

Girls don't play computer games tho... (except for The Sims, and maybe Nintendogz)

freez
04-30-2014, 05:13 PM
THIS!

Are you saying I can open a second window, and have a character camping some xp in red, while I'm doing the same thing on blue?

I'll do that, hell yea. sounds like a great way to kill downtime! while also getting me into red!

Basically, more propoganda! Show me videos of these 100 man battles, show me videos of people having a great time on red, and they will come.

After thinking about it more, that's how I would like to answer the poll, more propoganda will get me to play on red, show me how easy/fun it is, and not going to be painful and that will do it :D

More of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDuHwa0ao_0

heres my youtube channel. alot of the videos could of been done ALOOTTTT better. im terribad at making videos. I still record sometimes. Handful of r99 edited and unedited video on my page - https://www.youtube.com/user/sskape3

iruinedyourday
04-30-2014, 05:27 PM
heres my youtube channel. alot of the videos could of been done ALOOTTTT better. im terribad at making videos. I still record sometimes. Handful of r99 edited and unedited video on my page - https://www.youtube.com/user/sskape3

Oh man, i wish the quality was better but the compression in your video this is the best I could do... PM me awesome vids you want turned into gifs and Timecodes you specificaly want and ill pop em back to you to help spread the word.

Honestly this stuff looks fun dudes!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25736152/EQ/PVPstuff/PVP2.gif

*EDIT* Now get Swish to caption the shit out of this.

coki
04-30-2014, 10:31 PM
I tried to beg for free starter items for my cleric on red and was ignored, even offered to trade PL for PL blue/red was ignored, so I log on my red cleric every once and a while kill a few mobs then decide to stop after maybe 5-20 mobs... no jboots or mana pool sucks, specially when all your chars on blue are decked out

Buellen
05-01-2014, 04:00 AM
1. tried it when it opened got 5 then kept geting killed by same person while trying to recover body.

2. tried again recently and guess what another person just killing me over and over i lost count.

3. I can understand ok you fishing for coin kill me for my possible coin or needing a camp etc. testing if you can beat someone fine. It is PvP server. This person just kept siting by my corpse and killing me every time i came back. i think it was like 8 times in a row. I was like he has to get bored at some point, but nope.

4. why would a player who want to try red want to go through all that again?? no matter how juicy you try to make the experience and "new rules" if your being corpse camped and repeatedly being killed without it being witnessed by staff to correct that behavior then nothing has changed in my opinion.

5. server staff cant be everywhere at once i find it hard to believe that they will be able to stop all misbehavior.

my 2 cents

freez
05-01-2014, 04:03 AM
All you have to say is LnS. It cant be denied. Idk when you tried but this rule is new.

Softcore PK
05-01-2014, 04:05 AM
1. tried it when it opened got 5 then kept geting killed by same person while trying to recover body.

2. tried again recently and guess what another person just killing me over and over i lost count.

3. I can understand ok you fishing for coin kill me for my possible coin or needing a camp etc. testing if you can beat someone fine. This person just kept siting by my corpse and killing me every time i came back. i think it was like 8 times in a row. I was like he has to get bored at some point, but nope.

4. why would a player who want to try red want to go through all that again?? no matter how juicy you try to make the experience and "new rules" if your being corpse camped and repeatedly being killed without it being witnessed by staff to correct that behavior then nothing has changed in my opinion.

This really doesn't happen anymore. If you call LnS people will always let you loot. There was a time when this wasn't true, but the GMs throw out bans for breaking this rule now and us players take it seriously.

Buellen
05-01-2014, 04:06 AM
from reading its seem that behavior has to be witness correct ?

or are logs enough?

Softcore PK
05-01-2014, 04:15 AM
Screenshots would be enough in many cases, but you don't need them because no one's really stupid enough to break this rule. Did you forget to broadcast "LnS"? You're free game if you don't let them know you're looting and scooting.

Bazia
05-01-2014, 04:22 AM
If you really want to have fun on this server doing pvp, Dont make an enchanter.

I leveled an enchanter to 51 on Red named Poliwhirl.

Went like 23-1, they're not bad people just need to play better.

Bazia
05-01-2014, 04:24 AM
Honestly Buellen if someone is going overboard the best thing to do is just log out for 15 minutes then come back and keep grinding.

From my 2 years on red I can say that 98% of the time when you come back from the 15-20 minute break they will be gone.

Scikala
05-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Honestly Buellen if someone is going overboard the best thing to do is just log out for 15 minutes then come back and keep grinding.

From my 2 years on red I can say that 98% of the time when you come back from the 15-20 minute break they will be gone.

I can attest to this. Got killed by a Fungi twink, and went to play a match of LoL, came back and he had moved on and continued to exp for hours after that unharassed. While he did stay a groupmate called LNS got his corpse and went about his way while I afk'd

People kill you with twinks cause they enjoy it, but LNS protects you and most dont sit there for hours(keyword most) but either way, the world is large, go somewhere else.

Quineloe
05-01-2014, 10:58 AM
I played on VZTZ before so I'm not completely opposed to EQ PVP, but I quit VZTZ because it was run by corrupt admins and the server was populated by the most toxic and hostile crowd of basement dwelling morons I've ever seen in 15 years of online gaming.

And what a surprise, today they play on red 99.

Buellen
05-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Sorry should have clarified my 2 experiences where when first server came up and about 6month to 9 months ago on the second instance.

This two event probably are a good example why i never really came back to red99.

I dont mind PvP even though i am not very good at it. I get beat down so be it I just never understood the fascination some of the (hopefully no longer) community with killing another player when they are not a challenge to you over and over.

Buellen
05-01-2014, 11:28 AM
I can attest to this. Got killed by a Fungi twink, and went to play a match of LoL, came back and he had moved on and continued to exp for hours after that unharassed. While he did stay a groupmate called LNS got his corpse and went about his way while I afk'd

People kill you with twinks cause they enjoy it, but LNS protects you and most dont sit there for hours(keyword most) but either way, the world is large, go somewhere else.

See the few that compromise "MOST wont" are the one that give red 99 the bad impression at least from my point of view.

I understand the new LnS and will probably give red99 another shot. I will try to keep an open mind.

drktmplr12
05-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Oh man, i wish the quality was better but the compression in your video this is the best I could do... PM me awesome vids you want turned into gifs and Timecodes you specificaly want and ill pop em back to you to help spread the word.

So what happens when king tranix spawns? lol

HippoNipple
05-01-2014, 11:41 AM
So what happens when king tranix spawns? lol

The victors of the PvP fight get him before the losing team comes back.

freez
05-01-2014, 11:46 AM
tranix room was cleared before fight.

this was back when max lvl was 50.

sorry about that quality lol.

Scikala
05-01-2014, 11:46 AM
See the few that compromise "MOST wont" are the one that give red 99 the bad impression at least from my point of view.

I understand the new LnS and will probably give red99 another shot. I will try to keep an open mind.

For me personally, since most people are fresh right now...its been more enjoyable. You dont have people bitching about OMG A ROGUE WITH NO EPIC and stuff feels like more of an accomplishment.

Also don't feel like I'll get cockblocked out of any content solely because neckbeards camp it/batphone constantly. If I fail to get access to something its because I(people Im with) couldnt kill the other competition and knowing thats what I have to look forward to, keeps me going.

Wrench
05-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Also don't feel like I'll get cockblocked out of any content solely because neckbeards camp it/batphone constantly. If I fail to get access to something its because I(people Im with) couldnt kill the other competition and knowing thats what I have to look forward to, keeps me going.

alright, seriously, ive seen you post this same stuff over a dozen times on the forums

then i see your join date and think

reroll from ban? or new join and never even experienced raiding on blue?

either way i think its time to shut your idiot mouth

Glenzig
05-01-2014, 01:42 PM
alright, seriously, ive seen you post this same stuff over a dozen times on the forums

then i see your join date and think

reroll from ban? or new join and never even experienced raiding on blue?

Doesn't have to necessarily be raid targets. A lot of stuff is over camped on blue. Blackburrow, Lesser Fay Sisters, Sea Furies. I'm sure there is much much more that I'm missing, but I'm new myself. Yet I have already noticed that over camping of certain desirable targets is very prevalent on blue.

Scikala
05-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Nope, new account to be more in line with my in game name.

And feel free to be all bent out of shape because of the truth. Only proves it.

pharmakos
05-01-2014, 02:05 PM
i got jumped by way too many people 8 levels above me while i was already fighting a mob and i was low health.

meaningful PVP is one thing. running around just to gank easy kills and get some YT is dumb though.

Derubael
05-01-2014, 02:24 PM
i got jumped by way too many people 8 levels above me while i was already fighting a mob and i was low health.

meaningful PVP is one thing. running around just to gank easy kills and get some YT is dumb though.

The level range 1-60 on Red 99 is now +/- 4. So no more getting jumped by someone 8 levels higher than you.

Yeah, LnS is a relatively new implementation (it's less than 6 months old) and it's working really well. If you want to get your corpse and scoot, you have that option now regardless of what the other person wants to do. Just make sure you call it so they know what you are doing, or they'll assume you're coming back to fight!

Please keep this out of my thread. I asked about 30 posts back for this shit to stop. He didn't attack you, so don't attack him.

Just wanted to give another thanks to everyone who's posted feedback, and would like to reiterate that most of the concerns I'm seeing people express in this thread have been addressed in the last 6 months. A lot of you who didn't want to try/quit playing Red will find it's a great place to play now if you give it a shot. Hope to see you there (we're doing another event tonight! Will post/broadcast when I have more information)

Swish
05-01-2014, 02:29 PM

I tried! Even in a really shitty quality it seemed to be 29MB, which would have phone users getting mad... but I'll keep looking at your uploads, there's been some good ones :)

Glasken
05-01-2014, 03:04 PM
I tried! Even in a really shitty quality it seemed to be 29MB, which would have phone users getting mad... but I'll keep looking at your uploads, there's been some good ones :)

Black and white tends to cut MBs, is it an option to try?

Valoril
05-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Will never play on Red as it is.

Reason 1 : FFA is a clear no, no. I simply cannot understand the drive to kill some player who asked nothing, was doing his camp annoying nobody and had no possibility to defend himself anyway. Yes this was my case. I had the unpleasant impression that the people who were killing me were insane if THAT was how they get their gaming pleasure.

Reason 2 : The people on Red were toxic. Not only toxic on ooc but toxic as in bent mind (see 1).

Reason 3 : The levelling is a grind in EQ by construction. On the red it is triple grind and as a premium you have to watch over your shoulder all the time to check if some grinning lunatic is not creeping behind your back.

The only way I see some PvP making sense in EQ is RvR or Team (like DAOC, TESO, Wow ....). The insanity seems to be easier to be supported when it is shared with a crowd having the same ennemy you have. On top it minimizes the most unpleasant experience which is to be PKed by a much stronger player who enjoys the school bully mentality. I could play Team PvP on EQ but never ever FFA.

Kayso
05-01-2014, 05:17 PM
In the spirit of the request, I'm trying my best to answer without making suggestions...

I avoided it for the longest time due to my family members not wanting to play red. Then I tried it for the exp bonus figuring the fast leveling would make playing alone ok. Turns out the exp bonus was supposedly nerfed right before I started. This is based on what I heard -- I only had the one experience and have nothing to compare it to.

The idea of fast leveling. Given the inherent class imbalance in EQ, I think quickly getting through the lower levels where you don't have all of your abilities sounds appealing.

Possibly. If there is a revamp and, depending on what is implemented, I might play.

Castigate
05-01-2014, 05:32 PM
For me there isn't really anything compelling about red that would make me go there.
It isn't a fresh new server.
Its population is generally at least 5 times lower than blue.
I may be wrong on this one as I don't truly know red mechanics, but as an Enchanter I'm pretty sure that I'd end up somewhat gimped by my stuns and AoE mezzes affecting group members?
While I could probably learn to work around that, why not just wait for T99 instead to answer all 3 of my issues?
Above all though for me at least, right now I just don't have the time. Maybe in a few weeks when the semester ends if I don't feel like leveling another alt on blue and the pop keeps rising I might try red out.

I should add that I am actually interested in EQ pvp, but R99 has just never felt like it brought anything to the table that would make me go there, hell I don't even really mind playing a different class.

August
05-01-2014, 05:36 PM
1) Your forum community for red is deplorable. Bunch of testosterone-fueled tough-guy talk. It exists in blue server chat too, but I don't go to red chat. So, I only see the posts from Red on the blue forums, which is filled with these people. My interpretation of the red community is based off of these posts. People in this thread are definitely not reversing my thoughts about this.

Just FYI, this is yet again another 'play red' on the blue forum. I wish it would stop.

2) EQ PvP was never good. I played RZ & SZ on live and preferred SZ 100% more, and I still hated it enough to quit once I got my wiz to 60.

3) I would much rather help people than hurt people. I have 0 desire to gank someone or to steal someones camp via PvP. If I wanted to PvP I'd play a game explicitly designed as such. I am here to relive my classic days, not get angry over a griefer or to ruin someone else's day.

There is a reason EQ PVP was pretty much never successful. Not sure what we're going for here.

SCB
05-01-2014, 05:47 PM

I played for like twenty minutes once when blue was down.

Global OOC is pretty cool. XP was really fast, but again, it was like twenty minutes.

I'm always tempted to try red. I probably wouldn't commit to it fully, and can only really play EQ in spurts every few weeks, but the fast xp helps mitigate that. I love PVP in general.

Going to answer the below because I basically have never experienced what red is actually like. I've never even fought anyone, because every zone I was in was empty at the time.

First, some background: I exclusively play PVP servers in every MMO but EQ. I play some F2P MMOs purely to PVP (ToR, Rift). League of Legends is my third favorite PC game of all time, so I'm used to absolutely shitty communities, and trash talk doesn't bug me.

That said, Red seems to be full of sociopaths. What they seem to want isn't even PVP really, it's just an excuse to be a dickbag to people. Sure they describe epic fights at dragons and whatnot (which sounds cool), but let's be real for a minute. Just look at the dick-waving in this thread - it's like they can't help themselves.

You might be able to make EQ PVP fun. I don't know. I know it doesn't seem fun, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Teams would go a long way there. House rules and non-classic tuning would go even further. That said, I don't think you can make that community anything I'd want to be a part of.

Ahldagor
05-01-2014, 08:15 PM

that there isn't permanent death for a character if killed by another player. i like pvp if it has a huge punishment factor otherwise it's just blue where people can do more than bombard you with text.

GnashingOfTeeth
05-01-2014, 08:23 PM
played, was ganked 3x by the same lovely, will never go back. bye.

pharmakos
05-01-2014, 11:39 PM

The level range 1-60 on Red 99 is now +/- 4. So no more getting jumped by someone 8 levels higher than you.

still sucks getting jumped by anyone regardless of level you when you are already actively engaged with a mob. perhaps i'm just whining, though -- i preferred to solo when i played red, and that issue wouldn't have been so bad if i had grouped more.

still, though -- back in the day on Zek servers on live it was considered very poor taste to jump someone who was actively engaged with an EXP mob. different if its a good named or a raid mob, of course. but why jump an unguilded soloer fighting dar ghoul knights in LGuk? (it wasn't even FoH btw, i had an agreement worked out with Chewie) would make far more sense to try to recruit an unguilded soloer rather than potentially giving them an EXP death.

Softcore PK
05-02-2014, 04:46 AM
still sucks getting jumped by anyone regardless of level you when you are already actively engaged with a mob. perhaps i'm just whining, though -- i preferred to solo when i played red, and that issue wouldn't have been so bad if i had grouped more.

still, though -- back in the day on Zek servers on live it was considered very poor taste to jump someone who was actively engaged with an EXP mob. different if its a good named or a raid mob, of course. but why jump an unguilded soloer fighting dar ghoul knights in LGuk? (it wasn't even FoH btw, i had an agreement worked out with Chewie) would make far more sense to try to recruit an unguilded soloer rather than potentially giving them an EXP death.

VZ was the only server on live where people waited for NPCs to be cleared before engaging. I agree with you completely on this point though; our server would be a LOT better if people weren't so cutthroat in some ways. But as the majority of classic PvP players had a different experience, it's pretty understandable that red is this way about that particular issue.

It's a pretty major difference for me, but honestly in the grand scheme of things it doesn't impact the feel of the server as much as it seemed to at first. Maybe you just get used to it. Some people like it because they say it adds yet another potential variable to the awesomeness that is pvp. I've only eaten 1-2 pve deaths from pvp this way in my time playing casually. The xp bonus probably helps.

raptorak
05-02-2014, 05:23 AM
I've played the server for one month and gotten to level 50. So far it has been great but I have three problems with the server:

1) Exp is in my opinion too fast right now. People are getting 1-40 way too fast. Need to nerf group exp in half like originally planned because now if you go to bed, all your friends will be 10 levels higher than you. Also right now soloing is a bad use of your time.

2) Twinks are griefing younger players and near impossible to kill, would like to see a 46+ requirement on epics and funghi tunic as well as perhaps a resist cap depending on level.

3) Not enough GM action on training, if it is indeed illegal on the server. "Deleted", an iksar necro, has been griefing and training groups in CoM for days. If that is legit behaviour then fair enough.

Pudge
05-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Ya. Level requirement on epics is classic. The quest mobs wouldn't even respond until you were 50. Would just eat quest pieces. Need to stop these epic level 12 rogues..

tekniq
05-02-2014, 10:53 AM
After experience end game content and max level with raid exp on both servers, here's my opinion:

+ BLUE: Lots more people to play with all the time, better community
- BLUE: After you hit 60, there isn't much to do except make an alt, farm things, perma camped at a raid target...you really don't get to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Waiting for camps is pretty annoying too.

+ RED: There will always be PVP and you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor when 60 whether its mass pvp or small skirmishes. Fights can be fun, I fought this one guy in OoT for almost an hour and you really get a sense of accomplishment when you kill someone (especially when it's someone you dislike or someone good at pvp).
- RED: Small box..I like the small box in the sense that I can farm whatever I want most of the time, but at times it's a ghost town; if you have no friends on and you can't solo, there's nothing to do. I've found myself logging in multiple times looking for pvp I couldn't find, friends I couldn't find, so I log off.

Solution: Play both servers simultaneously when you can. If you're camping something on blue, play actively on red and vice versa. You can really enjoy both servers especially if you're doing something boring on one.

tekniq
05-02-2014, 10:58 AM
I've played the server for one month and gotten to level 50. So far it has been great but I have three problems with the server:

2) Twinks are griefing younger players and near impossible to kill, would like to see a 46+ requirement on epics and funghi tunic as well as perhaps a resist cap depending on level.

You really have to get out of your "blue" mind state on red. You have to accept the fact there you will get griefed and you will run into twinks. That is why people play red. Nothing is handed to you...if you're getting griefed in unrest and you looking to exp, go find another zone or log off. You can't expect to be hand fed and have an easy fun road on this server. Accept what you can't control, and do something about it if you can control it.

Faisca
05-02-2014, 11:39 AM
After experience end game content and max level with raid exp on both servers, here's my opinion:

- BLUE: After you hit 60, there isn't much to do except make an alt, farm things, perma camped at a raid target...

+ RED: There will always be PVP and you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor when 60 whether its mass pvp or small skirmishes. Fights can be fun, I fought this one guy in OoT for almost an hour and you really get a sense of accomplishment when you kill someone (especially when it's someone you dislike or someone good at pvp).

You can pvp on blue as well and fight whoever is in the mood to do the same, if that’s what you want to do. It seems everyone is forgetting that you can pvp on blue server as well. The difference is that on blue it’s optional.

I’m not buying any of this red propaganda. A server where you don’t have the option to avoid pvp is a server for grievers. The problem with it is that for the server to work it needs both grievers and preys.

The established community on red knows this very well. They don’t live for PVP. That is a lie. They live to grief others, and this propaganda is just meant to get them more prey.

Clark
05-02-2014, 11:47 AM

webrunner5
05-02-2014, 11:56 AM
My dog and my wife am not too fond of getting kicked repeatedly when I get Butt Raped on Red. :eek::eek:

That is the reason I quit. :D

Razn
05-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Mostly I don't want to play red because I prefer to solo since I don't always play for long periods of time. Now that solo exp is gone I have to group with people most of which I don't like or enjoy grouping with.

Clark
05-02-2014, 12:30 PM

+ BLUE: Lots more people to play with all the time, better community
- BLUE: After you hit 60, there isn't much to do except make an alt, farm things, perma camped at a raid target...you really don't get to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Waiting for camps is pretty annoying too.

- RED: Small box..I like the small box in the sense that I can farm whatever I want most of the time, but at times it's a ghost town; if you have no friends on and you can't solo, there's nothing to do. I've found myself logging in multiple times looking for pvp I couldn't find, friends I couldn't find, so I log off.

Solution: Play both servers simultaneously when you can. If you're camping something on blue, play actively on red and vice versa. You can really enjoy both servers especially if you're doing something boring on one.

Good post.

Nocte
05-02-2014, 12:44 PM
The combination of global /ooc and the attention-starved circle-jerk of players from RnF (If I could do one thing for Project 1999 as a whole, I would remove all RnF forums entirely). I remember that Blue had a global /ooc when I started and it was a nightmare of spam. I don't need to re-live "Classic P99" EQ. In general, I don't think I have the capacity to enjoy time spent reading the same tired catch phrases all the time. Also, the same population/starting over concerns that many have.

Lastly, I never played on a PvP server back in 2000, so I am not missing that bit of nostalgia as it relates to EQ. Because of this, I'm also terrible at PvP. :)

tekniq
05-02-2014, 12:49 PM
You can pvp on blue as well and fight whoever is in the mood to do the same, if that’s what you want to do. It seems everyone is forgetting that you can pvp on blue server as well. The difference is that on blue it’s optional.

I’m not buying any of this red propaganda. A server where you don’t have the option to avoid pvp is a server for grievers. The problem with it is that for the server to work it needs both grievers and preys.

The established community on red knows this very well. They don’t live for PVP. That is a lie. They live to grief others, and this propaganda is just meant to get them more prey.

I'm not really promoting red, I'm currently playing more blue than I am red right now. Just my humble opinion.

Yes sure you can /duel someone and say "hey let me buff up then med to 100% then let's duel on the count of 3 okay?"

Red PVP isn't about griefing (the small # of red trolls that get all the media attention). It's mainly about the guerilla surprise tactics and being prepared to mitigate one. You always have to have your guard up. Making sure you check who's in the zone every 5 seconds before you decide to do an exp pull. Making sure you're always buffed, have good resists on. It's just a certain dynamic that's thrilling sometimes.

For example, there was this one guy who tried to pvp me one day, then I saw him online one day at seafurie island. I got buffed underwater and started stalking him for a few minutes until it was the best time to swim up and attack. 75% of your PVP fights on red will not be on equal footing. Most of it will be by surprise, you just always have to be prepared. Plus, there's like 50% more spells that you will use on red that have value that you probably would never touch on blue.

Kika Maslyaka
05-02-2014, 01:01 PM
The problem with it is that for the server to work it needs both grievers and preys.

yep, that's exactly why all the "preys" have loged out permanently ;)

arsenalpow
05-02-2014, 01:34 PM
yep, that's exactly why all the "preys" have loged out permanently ;)

The ocean is dark and full of sharks

innocent51
05-02-2014, 01:38 PM
I played a lot on Sullon on Live.

I dont think EverQuest was ever properly designed however the main reason I'm staying away from Red is cheating (I dont really see how P99 team could do what Sony/Verant failed to), delevelled raid geared alts and, at a Kunark Era, godlike Alts in general since pretty much everything is dropable.

All-nodrop + no level loss rule would probably make me play on Red but I highly doupt the EQ classic community would like it.

arsenalpow
05-02-2014, 01:50 PM
I played a lot on Sullon on Live.

I dont think EverQuest was ever properly designed however the main reason I'm staying away from Red is cheating (I dont really see how P99 team could do what Sony/Verant failed to), delevelled raid geared alts and, at a Kunark Era, godlike Alts in general since pretty much everything is dropable.

All-nodrop + no level loss rule would probably make me play on Red but I highly doupt the EQ classic community would like it.

One thing I can definitely credit that staff for here is they actually keep the server cheat free to the best of their ability. Sullon had a massive showEQ problem, warping, offsets, z axis exploits, ghosting, etc etc. That's not an issue to my knowledge on p99red.

What you're describing does exist and it's definitely cheesy/griefery but it's not cheating. I think the main issue is the perception that the server is full of assholes and trolls. I'm sure it's being cleaned up but how do you reconcile the "red is fine, come have fun" mindset and also tell someone "well if a level 20 is killing you with a level 60 Druid backing him up you can just log off or go somewhere else" mindset?

EQ pvp is fun. It was the most fun gaming experience I've ever had, but I don't feel that p99 red will recapture that feeling for me especially due to (in no particular order) the toxic playerbase, deleveled uber twinks that are basically unkillable, level restrictions that enable out of range healers which ruins pvp, and low population.

innocent51
05-02-2014, 01:57 PM
but it's not cheating.

No its not. Not on the same section. Its is something perfectly legit but still doesnt makes me want to play on the server.

arsenalpow
05-02-2014, 02:02 PM
No its not. Not on the same section. Its is something perfectly legit but still doesnt makes me want to play on the server.

I agree with you on that. Got to watch a druid with fungi/manastone go HAM on all of blackburrow which was full of fresh red recruits. I'll pass on that.

Softcore PK
05-02-2014, 02:18 PM
I don't think I have the capacity to enjoy time spent reading the same tired catch phrases all the time.

Don't have a cow, man.

Okay so here's what I take from this thread:

-Lots of bluebies don't know the Red99 ruleset, and refuse to play for imaginary reasons like item loot, xp loss on pvp death, not understanding how LnS works, etc.

Solution? Spam blue server with the red ruleset, in multiple channels so they can't hide the text easily (lol). Or idk, there's other ways to do it.

-Fungi Tunic, epics need minimum level requirement of 46 to equip and epics should totally not be questable until 50. I don't see why not to include this, even if the fungi thing is not classic. Could throw a level requirement of 46 on all raid gear too to avoid those Nihi twinks running around in VP gear on level 30s.

tekniq
05-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Softcore PK - that's Amelie in your profile pic right? I saw that movie the other week..not sure how i felt about it or if I liked it or not.

arsenalpow
05-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Don't have a cow, man.

Okay so here's what I take from this thread:

-Lots of bluebies don't know the Red99 ruleset, and refuse to play for imaginary reasons like item loot, xp loss on pvp death, not understanding how LnS works, etc.

Solution? Spam blue server with the red ruleset, in multiple channels so they can't hide the text easily (lol). Or idk, there's other ways to do it.

-Fungi Tunic, epics need minimum level requirement of 46 to equip and epics should totally not be questable until 50. I don't see why not to include this, even if the fungi thing is not classic. Could throw a level requirement of 46 on all raid gear too to avoid those Nihi twinks running around in VP gear on level 30s.

Just another example of a red player being entirely dismissive of a blue players concerns. We (I'm speaking for hesitant blue players here) understand the rules, and we understand the enjoyment from pvp. What you (ignorant red players) fail to understand is how to entice a blu player to convert. It seems the typical response is either blue players just don't get it, or we're pussies, or a combination of the two. Getting merc'd by people in your level range in full resist gear, fungis, and VP rots isn't fun and calling us out for refusing to sack up and tolerate it is a poor way to convince people to play on your server.

Softcore PK
05-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Softcore PK - that's Amelie in your profile pic right? I saw that movie the other week..not sure how i felt about it or if I liked it or not.

Yep! It's probably my favorite movie. How can you not have known for sure it was amazing?? It makes me cry in the happiest of ways.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
05-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Just another example of a red player being entirely dismissive of a blue players concerns. We (I'm speaking for hesitant blue players here) understand the rules, and we understand the enjoyment from pvp. What you (ignorant red players) fail to understand is how to entice a blu player to convert. It seems the typical response is either blue players just don't get it, or we're pussies, or a combination of the two. Getting merc'd by people in your level range in full resist gear, fungis, and VP rots isn't fun and calling us out for refusing to sack up and tolerate it is a poor way to convince people to play on your server.

Nut up, pussy!

Scikala
05-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Yep! It's probably my favorite movie. How can you not have known for sure it was amazing?? It makes me cry in the happiest of ways.

I saw it when I was probably just getting out of Highschool, and it didn't leave a lasting impression(I honestly cant remember what its about and buddy of mine made me watch it since he was all about french shit)...plus the DVD Cover(your avatar) scares the crap out of me....something about that face/look.

Softcore PK
05-02-2014, 02:30 PM

What? There have been multiple posts in this thread where bluebies listed non-existent reasons for not playing, such as being afraid of item loot or afraid of being corpse camped. I'm not calling anyone a pussy. And wtf how can you say I'm dismissive of your concerns when I just said that fungi and VP gear should be made 46+?

Chill out, friend.

Scikala
05-02-2014, 02:31 PM

^-Pretty valid points.

Red just has its own kind of bullshit you gotta deal with(this isnt a conversion point or anything) Some is just more tolerable than other. For instance how people suggest moving zones...on blue you get asshole druids/bards PLing and jacking everything and you usually have to move until a GM responds(which they can be quick about sometimes)

That said, red's been fun even though the druid destroying BB...was my group haha. Made one of them quit on the spot, the others are still playing(myself included)

innocent51
05-02-2014, 02:45 PM

What about not being able to use gear if you de-level or restricting heal/buff to PvP level range (ie +/-4) ?

Nuggets
05-02-2014, 03:58 PM
1) EQ PVP mechanics suck. I'd rather play DAOC.
2) Giving up all my gear, running around naked, and being slaughtered by 5 year twinks

tekniq
05-02-2014, 04:14 PM
I saw it when I was probably just getting out of Highschool, and it didn't leave a lasting impression(I honestly cant remember what its about and buddy of mine made me watch it since he was all about french shit)...plus the DVD Cover(your avatar) scares the crap out of me....something about that face/look.

My girlfriend wanted to see it on Netflix. I was more intrigued more than anything.

Rellapse40
05-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Bump cuz Juauna is a cry baby

iruinedyourday
05-08-2014, 03:03 PM
My experience with pvp in eq in 15 years of live:

On blue, you're in a zone camping something, someone zones in and helps you.
In red you're in a zone camping something, someone comes in and kills you.
in blue you're trying to xp, someone helps you
in red you're trying to xp, someone tries to kill you.

In the end, red is so far behind blue in groupable equipment that you have 2 top tear raid guilds and the rest just struggle to get their class armor.

PvP is a greeeaaaaat fun way to enjoy the game, but when you want to progress it makes it very, very difficult especially for the non hardcore players.

I love pvp, I've been doing it for a long time but If it wasn't for my guild and the time I put into it, I would have transferred my live characters to a blue server long (ironic that in 24 hours after reading about 1999 I bailed faster than you can say, 'CC?'... goes to show how awesome the devs are here, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! but I digress)...

I had a guildy transfer once and I thought I'd never see him again, he came back 4 or 5 months later with devastatingly far better gear than our main tank guild leader. And we were the 3rd highest rated guild on the server and we had to work SO HARD to get there! It was very demoralizing.

EQ was never designed with PVP in mind, so it will never really function well with it, you can try, but it makes the game very difficult to play the way it was intended.. that may be a good thing for you, it may be a bad thing for you, thats for you to decide.

For me, its a bad thing. I am so happy to be able to log on and sit down and not keep my eyes peeled on the screen at all times so I can make a sandwich in the kitchen while I wait for a re-spawn without the fear of being KOSed.

For me, I think PvP would be more fun, if i could swap to a PVP server to enjoy hunting and pvp, give me a penalty of some sort, single item loot, XP loss on death, I don't care. Then when I'm done PVPing I could swap back to my blue server. You can disagree with me that's ok, the only thing that matters is that I am not moderating this awesome project 1999 so it doesnt really matter that this is my opinion, it just is :)

But mark my words, no matter how exciting and big the red server seems right now, if you're playing the long game, it will be a playground for the committed 24hr eqers and a nightmare for the casuals.

(fyi saying CC in a zone is a way to find someone to grief without using Mutieq.)

I don't mean to rain on your parade Red, but I've seen this happen over and over for 15 years.

Rellapse40
05-09-2014, 05:19 AM
red is for the men blue is for the cry babies

Zalora
05-09-2014, 06:14 AM
red is for the men blue is for the cry babies

What about princesses? :D

Rellapse40
05-09-2014, 07:16 AM
no such thing in elf land

Softcore PK
05-09-2014, 12:01 PM
What about princesses? :D

Yeah, we're on red.

Kika Maslyaka
05-09-2014, 12:11 PM
For me, I think PvP would be more fun, if i could swap to a PVP server to enjoy hunting and pvp, give me a penalty of some sort, single item loot, XP loss on death, I don't care. Then when I'm done PVPing I could swap back to my blue server. You can disagree with me that's ok, the only thing that matters is that I am not moderating this awesome project 1999 so it doesnt really matter that this is my opinion, it just is :)

that's pretty much how Guild Wars 2 works: you play on PvE server, if want to PvP you have:
-6 vs 6 instance fighting similar to capture the base in UT. groups put togther randomly.

or

-Realm War - where you teleported to a MEGA GIGANTIC map with like 50+ castles on it, with unlimited size teams from 3 servers fighting over them. There are roaming nps present there, and castles have NPC guards that spawn to the faction which is controlling the castles. It must be noted that npcs make poor defenders without player force present and mostly needed to manufacturer/supply materials to make Siege Engine which are highly helpful in assaulting other castles.

Nirgon
05-09-2014, 12:37 PM
I played WoW almost exclusively pvp for 8 years and loved it, but i would never, ever play on Red99 for several reasons.

1: Everquest classic is a harsh, unforgiving game. When you die, you lose xp, your items are on your corpse and you spawn usually a couple zones away from your corpse. Even with SoW, it's a long trip doing nothing other that traveling. So not only that can happen at any time on a PvP server but your money and 1 item from your inventory gets looted on top of it. LOL.

2: Everquest was never designed to be a PvP game. Even games like WoW, who were designed with a PvE focus, had some sort of PvP balance built in. Devs that created EQ PvP servers basically copy/pasted the server code and modified some bits so that players could attack each other, locked the door and threw away the key.

3: I'm a nice person. No really. I'm not saying that playing on Red makes you automatically a bad person, it's just that i'm an extremely helpful and nice person. I go somewhere and camp is taken? GL man and have a nice day, hope you have your item :), playing on Red, i would basically never try to kill or grief anybody, because considering point #1 from above, it would make me feel too bad doing so. So my time on the server would be basically playing PvE and dodging PvP, pointless to play Red then.

On WoW PvP was structured and amazing. I had a reason to heal my friends who were killing alliance, because alliance was standing in the way of the victory, therefore destroy alliance. Logical. On Red, what incentive do i have? Take the camp from a guy? Loot one of his items and his money? What if the guy is a really cool guy? Wouldn't it be better to have him as a friend instead? Logically, having more friends than enemies assures your survival in a harsh environment.

1. No item loot on red, reason I wouldn't play. Classic FFA server had item loot all through our timeline and beyond.

2. No, unfortunately that was what was done with red (again, box scum being listened to and server being released early) but not with live during classic-Velious. There's lots of changes to pvp in the live patch notes, including reducing spell direct damage, removing fear/charm from use in pvp, who can loot a slain player corpse (used to be anyone changed to just be person who landed killing blow) etc. They kept an eye on it and even opened servers with new rule sets / coded factions / dropped tokens on death. So, no to your point. But here it was as you say, a PvE server with the PvP flag flipped on and known box scum (from box all the chars you want / MQ abuse servers) getting their retarded custom ideas implemented. We don't need people in full gear without tash/dispels being rooted / mezzed. These spells are EXTREMELY powerful for control and were EASILY RESISTED on live for a reason (you get rooted in mass pvp, you die in seconds). Resists are in way better shape thanks to Alecta (and Null for actually making pvp possible) but still have a long way to go.

On another note, best of the best class titles were given out for pvp events... not pve events. This completely sabotages the whole "pvp was of no interest ever to the developers/staff" during this time.

Garbage from other custom boxes came to the server, they successfully pushed for non-classic shit to be added that is thankfully removed. I like some of this garbage but they are bad for a sustained population. This goes along the lines of how popular would RZ be without GMs and resists having no value (at Red launch, still has a ways to go). Cancel magic will remove ANY one spell cast in one shot here, also very very bad.

Call it what you want tho. I'd prefer a raid environment where the terrible pvpers who can play 24-7 (this is their best weapon) will be forced to attack a competent raid in no drop only gear, get smoked, raid target slayed and everyone goes to bed at a normal hour. What I left on terms of was staying up until 7am to get Trakanon (we did succeed) while a bunch of guys who couldn't pvp their way out of a wet paper bag attacked us in full gear over and over, unplugging modems to slip past mobs and attack us was another story but that goes along the lines of actually punishing the trash on the box. I would never, ever do that again. I have another reason that is not very nice to share and would be fine sharing that privately with Derupal.

I hope this post finally dispels the "this game never had any pvp intention / development / focus from Verant". It's not true and maybe you're bad at pvp and that is your shield. I dunno but whatever your reason for saying it, you are wrong.

Softcore PK
05-09-2014, 12:39 PM
How do you feel about the various xp bonuses that have been on red, Nirgon?

Nirgon
05-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Well there's no one around in the low level zones hum. Population is top heavy? You don't say? I guess you miss the (100%+) xp bus and yer stranded?

Maybe people would have more low level characters if they could gank alts for a single item (that didn't get bagged fast enough)?

I guess it is what will get people playing here now though.

Frug
05-09-2014, 12:49 PM
I hope this post finally dispels the "this game never had any pvp intention / development / focus from Verant". It's not true and maybe you're bad at pvp and that is your shield. I dunno but whatever your reason for saying it, you are wrong.

Nothing in your post dispels this notion. It's just your purepwnage cockswinging.

Shiftin
05-09-2014, 01:15 PM
I Making sure you check who's in the zone every 5 seconds before you decide to do an exp pull. Making sure you're always buffed, have good resists on. It's just a certain dynamic that's thrilling sometimes.

This sounds like an absolute nightmare. As i've said before, I tried red twice, was corpse camped and griefed off the server before getting out of the newbie zones both times. The playerbase is toxic.

Nirgon
05-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Sorry what did they hand out best in class titles for again? Why are there pvp patch notes?

I wrote those?

Gay men should be required to use women's locker and rest rooms?

U wot m8?

iruinedyourday
05-09-2014, 01:54 PM
On another note, best of the best class titles were given out for pvp events... not pve events. This completely sabotages the whole "pvp was of no interest ever to the developers/staff" during this time.

whoah whoah whoah there buddy, are you starting to argue about semantics here? dont make me go look up 15 year old print articles where Brad Mquaid said exactly that.. OH WAIT I dont have to becuse the internet is amazing.

Brad McQuaid:
Absolutely. First, it gave us confidence that an MMORPG could be commercially viable. It also reinforced our belief that unrestricted PvP was a bad thing. We'd played PvP MUDs in the past and were not fans of them. The wanton PvP in UO confirmed for us that we wanted to make a primarily PvE game.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/9/feature/5971/Building-EQ-The-Brad-McQuaid-Interview.html

If you're going to try to discount people arguing the same point as you, then you are perfect for a PvP server.

Nirgon
05-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Look I'm trying to get hot lesbians to be required to use the men's locker room can you cut it out already? Oh shit I gave myself away.

To think I had that clever alternate agenda all lined up for nothing kills me now.

Softcore PK
05-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Does it matter if it was designed primarily as a PvE game?

The best parts of EQ were largely unintended by the devs lol.

iruinedyourday
05-09-2014, 02:02 PM
Softcore PK you have a point haha. But really all I am trying to bring up is that after 15 years on live they only did minor tweeks to pvp and never really made it right (IMO) and that if pvp tries to follow the 'classic' model it wont really work (obviously the devs here agree cus its not classic right now :) ) But I think they should take that philosophy further!

I'm probably trying to push my own agenda of trying to get an Item Loot server PvP server that I can /goto and hang out on as long as I want and when things get to gnarly i can /gobacktopiece and live on the old 'afk going to go microwave a pizza' blue server.

I afked to go make a pizza last night at 10% health, and it never felt so goooood.

Maybe not, maybe Ill just stfu and try to level up a Pker with this XP boost you guys have and be like, DAMN DUDE this is fun!

Seriously wtf do I know about the actual quality of the current design, I havent made a character on Red except to make a petition. I suck. BAN ME (plz dont)

iruinedyourday
05-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Look I'm trying to get hot lesbians to be required to use the men's locker room can you cut it out already? Oh shit I gave myself away.

http://makeameme.org/media/created/i-aint-even-xblmef.jpg

That's how i feel after reading your response, thank you for making my day.

username17
05-09-2014, 02:32 PM
I did not the enjoy the everyone against everyone style of PvP.
The presence of twinks was a large downside as well.

I have several twinks on Blue. But being geared out on Blue tends to helps other players.
Twinks on Red seem to be only there to ruin others fun.

There were some nice people there. Some guilds were recruiting and equipping newbies.

I would give a Teams based PvP server a fighting chance to win me over.
Teams PvP is appealing to me for two reasons:
1) My lack of PvP skill would not be as detrimental to my survivability. There is strength in numbers
2) The fast that everyone starts from scratch means I wont be facing up against a 35 epic'd rogue with a fungi and 150MR.

Nirgon
05-09-2014, 02:36 PM
If you're going to try to discount people arguing the same point as you, then you are perfect for a PvP server.

It's a pve game with pvp added that I think is better than all the other MMO's that are trying to have pvp... well.. since daoc.

Items with separate stats, battlegrounds... all that... stink and I hate it. That doesn't mean there's pvp intention, it means they tried to make a separate game within their game.

Ya'll keep tryin' to hate on item loot, but I notice you aren't on WoW PvPing either.

http://img.pandawhale.com/64436-Walder-Frey-laughing-haha-gif-Qmdq.gif

iruinedyourday
05-09-2014, 02:40 PM
from reading its seem that behavior has to be witness correct ?

or are logs enough?

It's a pve game with pvp added that I think is better than all the other MMO's that are trying to have pvp... well.. since daoc.

Items with separate stats, battlegrounds... all that... stink and I hate it. That doesn't mean there's pvp intention, it means they tried to make a separate game within their game.

Ya'll keep tryin' to hate on item loot, but I notice you aren't on WoW PvPing either.

http://img.pandawhale.com/64436-Walder-Frey-laughing-haha-gif-Qmdq.gif

Damn so. Are you talking to me? You quoted me. But if you listened or read anything that I posted you'd see that I said I WANT item loot. Dude chill, stop attacking people that are not being confrontational. This is a forum, not a PvP server.

LittleSorcerer7
05-09-2014, 02:53 PM
I like the idea of red, but I don't like having no teams, I went to red it was fun and yeah you can make friends to make teams, but I prefer the pvp side when there are set teams that have to stick together to defeat the other sides.

Also i love twinkling in eq, one of the most cool things IMO, but the level 20 chars currently wearing all level 50+ gear and getting camped isn't so much fun.

Nirgon
05-09-2014, 02:57 PM
I used your point in my illustration but we have no beefs.

Teams? Aka guilds?

LittleSorcerer7
05-09-2014, 03:07 PM
I used your point in my illustration but we have no beefs.

Teams? Aka guilds?

Guilds choose not to attack but can if they're having a bad day. Just like they can train you, but that's beside the point

Softcore PK
05-09-2014, 03:08 PM
Teams server is gonna be so much fun :)

Nirgon
05-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Teams server is gonna be so evil team

Would play anyways at least no item loot with SZ rules be classic

Scikala
05-09-2014, 03:10 PM
They've also said Red -> Teams when it happens(which seems like a massive clusterfuck for current guilds haha) so might as well f around on it now.

LittleSorcerer7
05-09-2014, 03:11 PM
If red was teams I'd switch over to it for good

Scikala
05-09-2014, 03:13 PM
If red was teams I'd switch over to it for good

Again, if you look at Deru's earlier post, when teams DOES happen, Red will become it. IE carry over your stuff. Seems like all the more reason to play now and deal with that aspect unless you want to start fresh on teams.

LittleSorcerer7
05-09-2014, 03:15 PM
I hope they change their mind on that. Droves of people would come If they were able to start on equal footing with everyone else IMO.

Nirgon
05-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Check w/ Rogean on that one.

I think fixing up pvp resists and adding item loot is plenty to worry about... another server ... egh.