PDA

View Full Version : Pet Levels

Gratal
08-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Does anyone remember when they made pets start summoning at max level? Can't find it in forums or Google. I was thinking Velious, but it might have been SoL+. I know it was before PoP though.

krforrester
08-20-2010, 12:47 PM
I believe it was sometime in 2002

Qaedain
08-20-2010, 02:57 PM
7/24/2002:
Altered pet summoning spells so that they always summon the most powerful pet possible, instead of pets within a 5 level range.

krforrester
08-20-2010, 04:44 PM
That is one thing that is classic enough for me. I would love to see it implemented on P99.

XeldiablosX
08-20-2010, 05:22 PM
I think all necro's or mage's would love to see that change hehe.

bufferofnewbies
08-20-2010, 05:35 PM
don't forget the 'pet stays with you through the zoneline' also. That would be one I'd be very happy to see.

Tiggles
08-20-2010, 05:36 PM
None of these things will happen.

Noleafclover
08-20-2010, 06:09 PM
I want to see PoK books... Wait, no I don't.

I've got a mage now, and seriously... we don't need the help. If you're fighting blues, you're prolly doing it wrong. Although I can't speak for later levels.

XeldiablosX
08-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Yea they both would be nice changes, but ... I can live without them hehe I did before and I can do it agian. Just sucks can't zone pets an have to keep resummoning to get a decent pet. We will live =p

Messianic
08-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Necros and mages are strong enough

inyane
08-20-2010, 09:00 PM
its just an annoyance :)

would it somehow make them more powerful if they didn't have to waste 5 mins and half a bag of reagents every time they login or zone? not really.

i feel worse for necros, since they can't just buy theirs from vendors

but i realize its not classic, so i don't think about it much :)

Cyrik
08-20-2010, 09:23 PM
I bet a lot of mages and necros would be willing to put up a nice donation if they made this change... hint hint =p

StinkyGreenBud
08-20-2010, 11:38 PM
its just an annoyance :)

i feel worse for necros, since they can't just buy theirs from vendors

thats what i'm sayin. fucking mages.

Tork
08-21-2010, 08:56 AM
I think having a little randomness in there helps mitigate how powerful chain summoning becomes in later levels.

bufferofnewbies
08-21-2010, 09:29 AM
These should be put back to non-99 state until they fix the pet agro. :)

You do know the put the rule in for pets not keeping agro when a player is nearby during Velious(to counter enchanter charming in Kael). Not Pre-kurnak. Really sucks to solo indoors as a mage with current pet status, as we cannot heal ourselves from the forced damage taken in tight areas.

Tork
08-21-2010, 09:35 AM
I do seem to remember something about giants and charm… =)

Tunarian
08-21-2010, 10:55 AM
I know this is a classic server and there are so many people here that are hardcore about classic, but seriously if classic means "as the game was released" then you're playing a fairly flawed game. I remember playing in beta, and I remember the first few months of release and if that is your definition of classic you can keep it. I'm all for the devs putting in their own touches and fixing things that should be fixed as long as it does not change the way the game was intended to be played.

Pets zoning? That's just common sense. Why would your pet disappear at a predetermined point so that you have to resummon it? If I'm walking down the street with my dog and he suddenly vanishes for no reason, I'm going to be fucking pissed. Just sayin.

Infectious
08-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Could careless about the pet disappearing when you zone, what i do care about is summoning a pet that is 4 levels lowering then you 15 times. Then you get trained and gota do it again 15 times wasting 25 mins meddin between tryin to get a decent pet. If pet can be 4 lvls lower make it so the pet can be 4 lvls higher... Necros arent overpowered as they were on live and thats a fact. Mages are how ever for the fact the fire pet can tank, on live they were only used in groups with a tank in the group.

guineapig
08-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Could careless about the pet disappearing when you zone, what i do care about is summoning a pet that is 4 levels lowering then you 15 times. Then you get trained and gota do it again 15 times wasting 25 mins meddin between tryin to get a decent pet. If pet can be 4 lvls lower make it so the pet can be 4 lvls higher... Necros arent overpowered as they were on live and thats a fact. Mages are how ever for the fact the fire pet can tank, on live they were only used in groups with a tank in the group.

I would say Air pet was used in groups, not fire. The DPS of a fire part is due in no small part to their damage shield. If you are in a group that potential DPS is never used. Air pet on the other hand stuns which is invaluable when a group is dealing with mobs that can nuke and heal.

Other than that I agree with you.

Qaedain
08-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Air, fire or water is the group pet of choice. It's really quite situational.

If the mob has high output, then air is a fine choice. If, however, the group is simply pulling to grind or clear for names, then Fire or Water are the logical choices: both pets have equal DPS when the DS is ruled out, and they're the highest DPS overall pre-epic.

Husky
08-21-2010, 04:43 PM
How about because it would be a nice thing to do that has no effect on the power or capability of a player.

Only summoning a pet at max level would effect a player's power due to chain summoning as was previously stated.

A pet zoning with a player does nothing to allow a player to better camp/kill another mob or player. Being able to see what buffs are on my pet does not better enable me to slaughter a dragon.

It is a point of convenience that makes the game a little more realistic and enjoyable. Kind of like "Ingame Maps" or not staring at a spell book til level 35.

Sony would have "LOVED" to have had the pet features in the game from day one, but they were having many many other issues to deal with that were server/game issues and so they post-poned the programming.

I think UI issues that had nothing to do with an expansion should not fall under the progression time line rules.

Nightblade
08-21-2010, 04:46 PM
I have to agree with Husky on this one. It has absolutely no effect on the player's ability to kill anything, and is more of a peace of mind sort of deal.

Personally, I'd be a fan of having 'worn off' messages implemented so that way I can figure out when snare wears out without having to count ticks. Or count how many shielding spells I've fired off before having to recast pet haste.

Do you have any idea how hard that is to keep track of when you're not sober?

Infectious
08-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Coming from a necro i could care less about the zoning pets thing cause it really doesnt matter, its not like you are summoning pets every zone... Casting 15 pets to get a pet that is even blue is my issue. If u can have a pet within 5 levels make it +/- 5 lvls. Its just stupid havin to destroy najena just to get my days worth of bone chips.

William_Munny15
08-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Yeah that's exactly what we need, lets make it easier on necro's and mages.... good idea

Nightblade
08-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Mages, granted, have it a little easier than Necros do because like it was stated, our summoning components are in more ready supply, and sold by vendors. Having to cut out and hit up a zone to decimate it gets to be a little old after a while. After playing my necro on Live up to the 80's, I can relate wholeheartedly.

The idea isn't to 'make it easier', but more of just a common courtesy sort of thing. A few assholes don't make the whole caste a bunch of heathen rednecks, so I think it rather unfair to take it out on the entirety of the population when implementing something simple as being able to zone with pets, or being able to see what buffs they have, or when periodic effects wear off of creatures is a relatively easy, harmless ordeal. I'm sure druids would be rather appreciative of knowing when that snare broke whilst something was rooted so they know that the next nuke they land is going to have the mob coming at full tilt to beat their faces in.

Many people seem to be making this out to be a game breaking ordeal, which I find positively laughable. What about knowing buff durations, dot messaging, pet zoning is so damned evil?

krforrester
08-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Sorry but if we don't even have Kunark yet, how are you expecting a change made 2 years AFTER Kunark came out?

Did I ever say I expected it? No. Just that it was a convenient thing to avoid a lot of downtime every time i enter a new zone.

There are plenty of things in p99 that are not classic. Are you staring at your spellbook to meditate? I didn't think so.

Olorin
08-22-2010, 09:32 PM
I would say Air pet was used in groups, not fire. The DPS of a fire part is due in no small part to their damage shield. If you are in a group that potential DPS is never used. Air pet on the other hand stuns which is invaluable when a group is dealing with mobs that can nuke and heal.

Other than that I agree with you.

I started playing between release and kunark -- you never saw mage fire pets used at that time cuz they were casters and would run oom, etc and only melee when they had no mana. I am not entirely sure why they are so powerful here -- i do know on my baby necro here, the level 12 pet you get from the brazier of elemental summoning was performing better than my level 20 necro pet.

Taluvill
08-22-2010, 11:32 PM
If you started sommoning pets at max level, the price of bonechips would drop tremendously I would imagine, right?

Kills a newbie market in EC

XeldiablosX
08-22-2010, 11:40 PM
So the newbie prices shift from bone chips to CB belts / deathfist belts? or gnoll teeth? lol anyway hehe.... to making it easier on mages an necro's by letting us summon 1 pet instead of resummoning to get a decent level pet? wasting time and mana and doing nothing if you get a bad streak like I have had as well as many others I am sure. Instead of sitting there wasting the first half hour of my night medding an killing off my pet because hes LB >.>

I mean really people wanna whine an complain about it a supposedly OP class an making it easier on them. Then make one an play it out see how it goes, as posted earlier its a matter of convenience to not waste half my night that I am able to play on summoning a gd pet so I can do something lol. Some people do work while others sit here on the game all day or play it while at work no less, others aren't so fortunate.

Also I can see the point that this is classic an it wasn't in the game at that point so I deal with it and I will wait until it is.

/rant off

Sorry but the whining just gets to me >.>

Eternal-Elf
08-23-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm only assuming the people that are against this suggestion are not mages or necros, but rather the people constantly whining that we need to get nerfed.
What people don't realize is that Mage and Necro are exactly what they seem to be. A powerhouse with ONE GOAL. Kill mobs, and meditate. We don't SoW, Heal, Buff, Port, anything of the sort.
This could be an excellent idea if the devs would go for it, not to make things "easier" because it's in no way easier. It's just more convenient and not such a waste of time and money on reagents.

Eh?

XeldiablosX
08-23-2010, 01:12 AM
I play both but like I mentioned if this server is sticking to classic an going patch by patch, then it will happen but it won't be today. Just have to bear with it, yea it sucks but it will eventually happen as it did on live.

Cyrik
08-23-2010, 01:18 AM
I started playing between release and kunark -- you never saw mage fire pets used at that time cuz they were casters and would run oom, etc and only melee when they had no mana. I am not entirely sure why they are so powerful here -- i do know on my baby necro here, the level 12 pet you get from the brazier of elemental summoning was performing better than my level 20 necro pet.

XeldiablosX
08-23-2010, 01:51 AM
I saw fire pets used quite a bit back then ... an most likely because the DS the fire pet has is tremendous especially at lower levels which would prolly be why its out performing you necro pet.

Shimmerdark
08-23-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm only assuming the people that are against this suggestion are not mages or necros, but rather the people constantly whining that we need to get nerfed.
What people don't realize is that Mage and Necro are exactly what they seem to be. A powerhouse with ONE GOAL. Kill mobs, and meditate. We don't SoW, Heal, Buff, Port, anything of the sort.
This could be an excellent idea if the devs would go for it, not to make things "easier" because it's in no way easier. It's just more convenient and not such a waste of time and money on reagents.

Eh?

Easier is exactly what it does. Anything that saves your time and money makes the game easier. EQ was founded on the principles of Risk vs Reward and Time vs Reward. What makes WoW easier than eq? Little to no travel time (time), No real CR (Risk), Mailboxes (Time). There are MANY things they could add to this classic server that would be "Nice" but they aren't classic and they do make it easier.

Kazzok
08-23-2010, 05:18 PM
I don't play a mage or a necro here, but I'd be in favor of pets zoning. In addition to the convenience, it just feels better from an immersion standpoint. And I think that aspect, even beyond the difficulty and RvR tuning that made EQ great, is of utmost importance to classic EQ.

P.S. Make the reagents very expensive and keep variable level summoning if you want to make it hard and costly to have a powerful pet.

I know it's not classic, and I'm just daydreaming, but whatever....

Kazzok
08-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Oh, and if the 'not classic' thing is bothering you, go check out the troll regen thread. The rates are *clearly* not classic but have been that way for almost a year now. And they do make leveling substantially quicker, safer, and easier at least at lower levels (probably up into 20s too).

So yeah. This server, much as I love it, is not classic. It just isn't.

Eternal-Elf
08-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Easier is exactly what it does. Anything that saves your time and money makes the game easier. EQ was founded on the principles of Risk vs Reward and Time vs Reward. What makes WoW easier than eq? Little to no travel time (time), No real CR (Risk), Mailboxes (Time). There are MANY things they could add to this classic server that would be "Nice" but they aren't classic and they do make it easier.

You had me at mailboxes. lol I suppose you're right, and I guess I'm being biased because I play a mage.

It sure would be nice, but it's not a neccessary change of course.

Harrison
08-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post

Wrong.

Fire pets didn't become casters until Kunark.