PDA

View Full Version : Rogue threat

Scrubosaur
05-02-2014, 02:23 AM
Why does a rogue gain threat on a missed backstab? With a Paladin tank I have replicated the event many times. I wait a sec then press attack, miss a few melee, attempt a backstab and miss, mob turns around and hits me like I nuked it with a big dd. Is this how its supposed to work?

phacemeltar
05-02-2014, 04:25 AM
if some hobbit was trying to stab you in the back, wouldnt you do something about it?

Cecily
05-02-2014, 08:36 AM
Your pally sucks lol. Backstab carries a very high threat potential, hit or miss.

Daldaen
05-02-2014, 08:45 AM
A few things.

1. Threat doesn't exist in EQ. That's a WoW term. Just like reputation =/= faction.
2. Agro / Hate are generated based on potential damage / annoyance. Resisted spells or nukes that land for full have equivalent hate. Just like misses have same hate as a max hit.
3. Any knight should never lose agro ever unless a Sunstrike wizard is nuking on incoming.

lecompte
05-02-2014, 11:42 AM
3. Any knight should never lose agro ever unless a Sunstrike wizard is nuking on incoming.

Or Rune on Inc :)

Scrubosaur
05-02-2014, 11:55 AM
This is low level stuff so I am sure the Paladin was still learning his job. It just seemed weird to me that threat (I don't care what Daldaen says!) on melee works the same as spell threat in that a special ability miss = a spell resist, and from I remember (for spells) it carries more threat. But good to know that this is how it is supposed to work. Thank you.

Cecily
05-02-2014, 05:43 PM
It's different words for the same made up thing.

Kayso
05-02-2014, 08:47 PM
The paladin gets his aggro spell (blind) at level 9. It costs about 10 mana or somesuch. I'm not sure if this changes at higher levels, but its that easy at lower levels.

If you draw aggro off the pally, I think you just need to yell at him to cast it more.

Danth
05-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Note that the Paladin gets his main spell at level 9, but doesn't get meditate until level 12 and many groups don't give anyone sufficient time to meditate, anyway. He might not have had the mana to cast it more.

As a Rogue, get in the habit of using your aggro-reduction ability (hide) on cooldown. If it fails several times in a row, if you really don't want to get hit, reduce damage output until it works.

Danth