PDA

View Full Version : Early gear

Zubek
08-20-2010, 02:42 PM
First I want to say that I absolutely love the idea of this server. I found out about it a couple of days ago and have been having a blast the last few days getting adjusted to EQ again.

I played a bard from 00-06 and didn't really play anything else, since raiding took up so much of my time. So this time around I wanted to play around with a couple of different classes instead.

I chose a shaman and a monk. After reading a lot of threads I noticed that a lot of people were complaining about the lack of some shaman on the server and I've always wanted to play one, and I have always loved the monk and their attack animations.

I decided to really start playing the monk first since they are cheaper to level up, and I'm curious how much some of the starter monk gear would run me.

I've been farming up some bone chips to earn some plat, I think I have like 6 stacks now and only level 3. And a full set of cloth armor too, woot woot!

How much does the Wu's armor usually cost, I'm thinking that will be a good start and maybe I'll buy a couple of 1HB's too, maybe some screaming maces or EMB? How much do you think that would all cost so I can get an idea of how much to save up :)

Zubek
08-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Answered part of my own question :) I just saw a post someone made in the EC forum about Wu's full set for 400pp. Would screaming maces be the best/cheapest option until I just use fists around 35?

HeallunRumblebelly
08-20-2010, 03:16 PM
First I want to say that I absolutely love the idea of this server. I found out about it a couple of days ago and have been having a blast the last few days getting adjusted to EQ again.

I played a bard from 00-06 and didn't really play anything else, since raiding took up so much of my time. So this time around I wanted to play around with a couple of different classes instead.

I chose a shaman and a monk. After reading a lot of threads I noticed that a lot of people were complaining about the lack of some shaman on the server and I've always wanted to play one, and I have always loved the monk and their attack animations.

I decided to really start playing the monk first since they are cheaper to level up, and I'm curious how much some of the starter monk gear would run me.

I've been farming up some bone chips to earn some plat, I think I have like 6 stacks now and only level 3. And a full set of cloth armor too, woot woot!

How much does the Wu's armor usually cost, I'm thinking that will be a good start and maybe I'll buy a couple of 1HB's too, maybe some screaming maces or EMB? How much do you think that would all cost so I can get an idea of how much to save up :)

Bout 500 for a set of Wu's, just grab a set of wu's (500) two 5/55s (nother 400-500), a set of diamondine earrings (700/800 each, platinum bloodstone is also a cheaper alternative) and you really don't require weapons...the fists outpace them by 30/35

Beyond that there's RLPs, black sapphiew jewelry, granite bracers, ROTLC, but these are all pricey (or ROTLC a difficult kill or a tedious quest) and should really be handled closer to 50 for your first character.

Zubek
08-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks! Wu's doesn't sound too expensive and it should hold me over good until I get higher and can start farming out other stuff.

Tenurn
08-20-2010, 04:42 PM
If you really want weapons you can use 2xEBM

HeallunRumblebelly
08-20-2010, 08:44 PM
If you really want weapons you can use 2xEBM

or simply offhand a mod-rod to keep your 1hb up (8/26 D= best monk 1hb atm! til one drops in sky, anyway)

Mournblade
08-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Wu's can be had for 400 for a full set, but you dont necessarily need a full set. Gloves and slippers are a must, but you can get a foremans tunic or lockjaw vest for around 50p if you are patient. Splitpaw hide mask, spiked collar is also cheap... i'm sure there are a few others.

And Enameled Black Maces are the only weapon to worry about pre-30th level. ('less you can get a sweet mod rod like the previous poster mentioned)

Good luck!

Ralexia
08-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Don't worry about wu's armor imo, just get cured silk(slightly less ac and no agility). It's less than 100pp for a full set. Get the 2 5ac/55hp rings and weapons before wu's.

I would get, in this order:
1 EBM(or better weapon)
2 5ac/55hp rings
3 cured silk
4 a 2nd EBM
5 start acquiring some wu's armor(feet, shoulder and other items that are best in slot for a long time) and other armor pieces like azure sleeves(50ppish), thick leather apron(20ppish?), symbol of loyalty to vox(100ppish), collar of undead protection(10ppish), white wolf hide cloak, etc.

What I did to make money was quickly level a dark elf enchanter to lvl 8 and then run the stein of moggok quest about 6-8 times. The stein sells for about 275-300pp.

spoolie
08-21-2010, 12:49 AM
wouldnt even bother with a EBM. just find a local mage if you can that can summon mod rods. better ratio then the EBMs.

Reiker
08-21-2010, 03:00 AM
It's tough, because Qeynos totally has the faster leveling up until 12 or so. However, Freeport is the cool kids hangout and it's super easy to beg a mod rod from a mage there. They're lore, so an EBM is still really useful. Wu's and shit like that is really not very important compared to weapon uprades. Honestly the best gear you could save up for are plat fire wedding rings. The only piece of gear you're going to really need is a haste item, but they're very expensive. Start saving up sooner rather than later.

Once you have an FBSS or whatever THEN's the time to start worrying about filling out the rest of your gear. AC, HP, and resists are all super helpful, don't get me wrong. But they just don't compare to the advantage that item haste will give you.

Edit/Addendum: If you can't score an EBM/Mod rod you need magic gloves. Do this

Freeport: Go to Innothule/Upper Guk/Feerrott and kill frogloks (even tads) until you get mesh or netted gloves. Now you can hit magic mobs unarmed. Grab boots too for kicks (pun intended).
Qeynos: Enter the catacombs from under the bridge near the Qeynos bank. Swim straight down and up and onto a ledge. If you know where Cubert spawns, that's the spot. It's very close to zone in. There will be 3 frogloks in an alcove under water just to the right of Cubert. Kill them for netted gloves/boots.

Virtuosos
08-21-2010, 03:41 AM
message Virtuosos in-game if and when you see me, i will give you some free wu (not a full set but a few pieces)

Zubek
08-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys, and thank you Virtuosos that is very nice of you! My monks name is Kreston I'll send you a tell sometime :)