PDA

View Full Version : Torn between these classes

bufferofnewbies
08-20-2010, 04:19 PM
On many a game before, I have a notorious habit of making too many alts.
The rough spot I have is finding my comfort in a single main toon. So this time I ask for the help of everyone.

Things I want to be able to do:
1. Solo at times. (and be able to go afk between fights) -- pretty much all classes can do this, depending on where/what you hunt: but some are better than others.
2. Be wanted in a group.
3. Be useful on a raid.
4. Farm either tradeskill materials or $$ to buy them. (I like to do tradeskills when folks I know arent online or I need to go afk alot and cant hunt)
-- all pretty generic

Classes I'm currently torn between:
Green is good stuff I consider
Red is bad stuff I consider
1. Mage (my old standby) -- easy to solo, good dps for groups, hate resummoning pet everytime i zone somewhere, raids.. eh: anyone want a mod rod?, very weak when no pet is up
2. Druid -- easy to solo, nice buffs for groups and raids, healing is kinda ehh...
3. Bard -- easy to solo, bards do a crapload for raids/groups, pita twisting... both on your hands + i like to chat alot, cannot bind self.
4. Ranger -- soloing is decent, good dps, gods! it costs so damned much to raise fletching, cannot bind self, so item dependant: costs alot in comparison to others for a starting toon :(

What is everyone's take on this? Something I miss or is different here? Perhaps some are just TOO prevalent later on? Or so prevalent because they are pretty much required to help gear alts..

Remember this is a 'first toon over 20' thing. I have all of these classes, but my final choice on 'initial' toon is still up in the air. Highest atm is mage at 14ish..

Shewz
08-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Mage - overpopulated
Druid - weak
Bard - Yes!
Ranger - no.

yaeger
08-20-2010, 04:50 PM
So many people roll a solo class, it ridiculous. If you want to part of a crowd go druid/mage. You can't run through a zone without dumping into a mage.

Hopefully solo exp will get nerfed soon, since everyone and their brother exploits the hell out of it and grouped exp can't compare. That was never 'classic'. I don't remember mages and necros breaking spawns in LGuk and camping stuff around the clock.

In a game devoted to socializing with others, grouping to accomplish a common task, and being 'classic' EQ it's surprising how little grouping actually happens. During the low levels you'll notice about half the population soloing, others getting power-leveled (or probably boxing) without the willingness to invite people LFG.

/rant off

In all honesty, go with a bard. You'll find that it'll be difficult to level, but you'll always be needed and desired, especially when grouping becomes essential (Kunark).

Striiker
08-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Things I want to be able to do:
1. Solo at times. (and be able to go afk between fights) -- pretty much all classes can do this, depending on where/what you hunt: but some are better than others.
2. Be wanted in a group.
3. Be useful on a raid.
4. Farm either tradeskill materials or $$ to buy them. (I like to do tradeskills when folks I know arent online or I need to go afk alot and cant hunt)
-

I'd suggest that you consider making a Necromancer. I think he would fit in with all of the above and is an excellent Soloer in my opinion. In fact, I feel that a necro is better in many respects to a mage for soloing. You can heal yourself and regen mana plus feign death for when you need to go AFK and are in an area which could go poorly for you if a wandering mob finds you..
I've always been happy to have a necro in my groups. Their pets are great and they can spot heal or give some mana to those who need it in a pinch.
I haven't raided much so I can't comment on their raid viability but from what I understand, they have their place. Necros can certainly farm with the best of them. I like necros also in that you are much more justified in killing anything you want since everyone hates you as it is :-)

bufferofnewbies
08-20-2010, 04:51 PM
tbh, the reason I want some solo time is due to when I am playing at work or playing when i have to do some things around the house. :)

There are some classes I just dont like to play (Warrior, Shaman, Necro, later on: Bst, etc...), so I limited my choices to the ones I know I like.

My actual favorite class is Paladin. But no way in hell I will go thru the early years of paladin again...

madara
08-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Well druid early on is bad if you ask me with this server unless your twinked or coming with friends. I'm getting the feeling I found out about this server abit too late making it harder. I died so many times but maybe it takes off at 14? I find it hard to get sow or buffs from sister and brother druids as I will not spam beg I only ask them directly once.I even had up to three watch me die from trains right before their feet in wcommons looking for plats with their porting shouts. For some reason people can train fish on land, those have been the fastest deaths while I med so far. Guess I am saying druid may be easy later on but consider early life a different story. I cant figure out if groups are bad because of lack of player skill or lack of basic character skills like tanks not being able to hold agro effectively yet.

bufferofnewbies
08-20-2010, 04:59 PM
yeah, druids dont really begin to shine until 14. SoW (aka kiting times) makes a difference. But I don't have a problem with druid atm (mine is 9th). It just takes some planning with spells. Just remember that harmony is good. :)

also: like Striiker did. If you think another class might be more interesting, don't be afraid to say so. I am taking all things in consideration. (reason I dont play shaman/necro is that some RL friends played them: we made a druid/shaman/necro kite team. So i tended to stay away from certain classes)

Troy
08-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Your forum user name indicates that you should play a druid.

oldhead
08-20-2010, 05:13 PM
if you like druid be druid...

Sure there are a metric shit ton of druids yes... but these are mostly alts not mains.
many guilds have spots for main druids.

bufferofnewbies
08-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Lol, I like them all. that's the problem. :)

and Bufferofnewbies is just a handle from old school game (Played an enchanter for ages and did alot of buffing while I was doing all the faction quests for cities. OH man at the folks who would freak out to see a dark elf sitting outside Felwithe shouting 'buffing at Felwithe guards'..). I kept it for eqemu sites because most of my time spent on the main eqemu boards was helping new folks.

bufferofnewbies
08-26-2010, 05:16 AM
thank you all for the input. and thanks again to a thousand kind souls ingame.
Finally settled on a single class and:

Bard it is!

Been having a blast in groups (esp the odd ones.. ie: no healer and/or no tank). Many thanks to more of you guys than i can mention atm: but i know over a handfull of you big level 50s have done things ranging from ports when i was sick of crushbone and had JUST missed the boat, gear gifts for simply wearing my dwarven bonechip quest armor (it's served me well so far!) to pulling extra mobs for my orc group in commons (were you really that bored? lol. was great fun btw. The troll with us really appreciated being able to ding before he had to log off for work.)

The only thing i can complain about is the fact that too many folks are soloing out there. Everytime i turn around i run into a mage or necro camping targets by themselves. Gods, that drove me crazy when i tried it: I dont see how you can play this game w/o talking to folks. lol

Hope to see you all soon. and so many of you I owe some mana song when i get it...

Qaedain
08-26-2010, 05:24 AM
Bard is a great choice. :) Bards rule.

Zordana
08-26-2010, 05:40 AM
gods! it costs so damned much to raise fletching

eh? fletching is cheap as hell.. some platin and your maxed...
i dont think there is anythin cheaper (besides probably brewing, tho i dont know about skill 100+)

stormlord
08-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Laugh! You're turning around in circles, no wonder you're confused! Stop spinning around and center yourself. The obvious choice is the ranger.

Now get on with it!

Omnimorph
08-27-2010, 05:49 AM
I'd go with bard also. Fun class. Useful too.