PDA

View Full Version : Mage n00b Question

IzHaN80
05-09-2014, 05:12 AM
It is true that if i don't deal at least 50% damage, my pet will be eating 50%xp?
Also its true that if you do 0 dmg, but all via pet, the pet eats 75%xp??

In both cases, i find it very unfair to the mage class, to deal 50%dmg i gonna use about 40-45% of my mana in every pull.

Thanks in advance!

Ando
05-09-2014, 05:25 AM
It is true that if i don't deal at least 50% damage, my pet will be eating 50%xp?

Yeppers.

IzHaN80
05-09-2014, 06:16 AM
So what is better then? Eat mana to kill 2 yellows then wait for med, or chain kill stuff at 50% xp penalty?

Castigate
05-09-2014, 06:27 AM
I think reclaiming energy on the pet when the mobs running and low enough that you can kill it in a single nuke is the popular way of doing it. That or duoing since pets eat 0 xp in a group.

IzHaN80
05-09-2014, 06:38 AM
I think reclaiming energy on the pet when the mobs running and low enough that you can kill it in a single nuke is the popular way of doing it. That or duoing since pets eat 0 xp in a group.

Thanks for that suggestion!

Messianic
05-09-2014, 08:53 AM

This, and pet classes are wrecking crews in duos. Mage/Enc and Mage/Nec are disgustingly effective.

Velerin
05-09-2014, 10:57 AM
Just be happy pet agro has been fixed. Before if you cast 1 nuke at pretty much anytime you were tanking.
For solo:
Low levels: summon higher lvl pet let him wreck stuff and eat penalty
Mid-high levels: chain pet, reclaim, nuke to finish

HawkMasterson1999
05-09-2014, 11:02 AM
You're still doing better a solo ranger so there's that... Group up though, no pet penalty that way.

Halius
05-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Depends on what level you are, at lower levels I don't think it's very mana efficient to be re-summoning pets, especially since you can't use the focus item reclaim until level 20 (assuming you have gotten at least one of them). I would just stick with summoning highest level pet and killing as fast as you can until you hit level 20 or so. I just recently started reclaiming and re-summoning at 24 and I still am having to sit and med every 4 or so pulls.

Side note: I have been playing here since about October '13 (join date says earlier but that was just when I was scoping the project out) and I still only have a level 24 main so take my advice for what you will. I am limited by play time however.

IzHaN80
05-09-2014, 12:17 PM
I guess i gotta eat the penalty, at lvl 18 i am, re-summoning pet is not every efficient, eats a lot of my mana pool instantly.

Faisca
05-09-2014, 12:25 PM
How come there’s no one talking about RED in this thread yet? Isn’t every thread supposed to be derailed with comments about RED server as part of the “shove RED down people’s throat” plan?

Come on guys…

Invoke
05-09-2014, 12:32 PM
It's a shame there's no canni-pet in P99. Would make chaining pets way more effective. Anyone know why it isn't in P99? Canni-pet was in EQ from beta...

Frug
05-09-2014, 12:53 PM
It's a shame there's no canni-pet in P99. Would make chaining pets way more effective. Anyone know why it isn't in P99? Canni-pet was in EQ from beta...

Reclaim Energy?

Invoke
05-09-2014, 01:45 PM
Reclaim Energy?

Reclaiming more mana from an Earth pet then it cost to cast.

IIRC you could reclaim a focused Earth pet starting at level 20 for more mana then it cost to cast but it wasnt better then just medding at that level. By level 49 you could gain back a fairly significant amount of mana and was better then medding. However it had a lot of draw backs and remained a relatively situational tool. Pre-Luclin it was worth while to do it after a rez or if you were soloing in a safe area and could get away with not having a persistent pet.

After Luclin came out it became OP and if you wernt doing it as a mage you were gimping yourself. AA's like suspend minion and summing haste plus mounts and focus effects led to it being nerfed.