PDA

View Full Version : Kunark

Lazortag
08-21-2010, 10:34 PM
When will Kunark be released?!?! Just kidding, that's not what this thread is about.

Lots of people on this server know lots of shit about Kunark, but even though I joined when it came out, my only experience with it was seeing Iksar PC's on antonica occasionally. I've only been to a couple of places on the continent and I never rolled an Iksar so I know very little about it.

So, what exactly would I have to do to get the full Kunark experience when it eventually gets released on this server? I know that Kunark adds some new raid mobs, but is there lower-level stuff on the continent that people really loved? My main will definitely be 50 before Kunark gets released (unless it magically gets released in the next two weeks), so if I were to roll an Iksar, would I end up just boating over to some other continent, or would I spend a lot of my early levels on Kunark? And if so, what would I be doing?

Mcgrubber
08-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Karnors Castle!!!

Straif
08-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Cabilis (imo) is one of the coolest cities in game.

Role an iksar, level up in Field of Bone :D

alexandervaccaro
08-21-2010, 10:38 PM
if you rolled an iksar, you'd most definitely be able to stay in kunark all the way. Struggling to remember the exact progression, but something like....

field of bone
lake of ill omen
???
dreadlands
karnor's
everything else

Straif
08-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Overthere.. another awesome zone

Blancah
08-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Lake of Ill Omen, Frontier Mountains, Overthere and Dreadlands is where I spent a majority of my levels on my cleric. Oh how I miss sarnaks and cacti

Itchybottom
08-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Karnors until 60. Poopsock Old Sebilis and Howling Stones the rest of the time. With a few weekend Chardok romps, whilst complaining in ooc about having to kill more goblins to get your faction back to recharge your ring.

Actually I think I might hang out in Erud's crossing to laugh at the shamans going suicidal waiting for their epic NPCs.

Reiker
08-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Ring quest isn't classic.

iirc but pretty sure. Luclin era or so.

fastboy21
08-21-2010, 11:16 PM
you can level in the OT for like 20 levels if you really wanted to...i think the mobs greened out about 35ish.

field of bone...loio/sarnak castle...OT...DL...KC...com

you can go all the way to 60 in KC basement though it would really be slow.

droga and nurga can be fun, but you usually have to bring your own group.

most people will probably do seb grps....which can be fun and feel hella classic, but it will not be the place to go if you want to get off the beaten path.

chardok can be fun to 60, but faction is an issue for folks doing the quests.

the king daddy of fast exp in kunark is getting a howling stones key early and bringing a good grp (unless you can solo). the first person to 60 will prob be a mage that doesn't sleep for a few days and solos the crap out of HS.

MeldrathRN
08-21-2010, 11:19 PM
i had fun killing giants in frontier mountains

Itchybottom
08-21-2010, 11:23 PM

Luclin was released Dec 2001, Regal Ring of Bathezid was in long before it and pre-Velious. All of the key NPCs were in game, I'm not overly certain anyone completed the quests until just before Velious or during Velious though. Unfortunately the best I could find was full walk throughs from 11/2001 archived on the web. I think you're getting confused with the Nurga/Droga revamp.

Hive
08-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Skyfire was fun to kite as a necro. Idk how it will play out here since runspeed is different, it will probably be suicide if they leave it as is.

Other fun zones were Howling stones/city of mist.

XDrake
08-21-2010, 11:50 PM
You folks forget Kurn's Tower. Countless stacks of bone chips, wonderful spawn rate, can use anti-undead spells... Was best place to spent 9-15 until Luclin.

As a Necromancer I had more than enough bones after leaving there to last into my mid-20s.

Itchybottom
08-22-2010, 01:12 AM
You folks forget Kurn's Tower. Countless stacks of bone chips, wonderful spawn rate, can use anti-undead spells...

Evil vile long camp for solists icy wand for your wizard twinks.

yaeger
08-22-2010, 01:13 AM
You can level a character 1-60 while never leaving Kunark. A lot of the zones are awesome, lots of soloable content and group content available for all level ranges.

Part of the fun is exploring all of the zones that you've never been to. Don't worry so much about getting the most out of Kunark, just try to have fun.

Taluvill
08-22-2010, 01:25 AM
Kunark is amazing. I was young when Kunark was prime, but I remember Lake of Ill Omen the best. That, and Qeynos I could probably navigate blindfolded and they are out of a video game.

I miss Sarnaks = (

Nightblade
08-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Similarly so, I can tell you how many seconds it takes a rogue to run to each part of Sebilis to check spawns or camps while sneaking, which area nets the best possible loot at what hours to pick, and where one can do the most amount of good in a group to make things 'quick'.

Only pain in the ass was the slippery bridge with the hole in it. :\

XDrake
08-22-2010, 01:38 AM
I remember n LOIO when Sarnak and Goblins would fight... You could sit on the sidelines and pick off the winner. :P They changed that somewhere later, although. The minute you hit them they regen completely.

Gorroth
08-22-2010, 01:42 AM

It was released a few months before Luclin at least, so it's definitely Classic. The entire (first) Chardok revamp is late Classic, sadly. =/

Noleafclover
08-22-2010, 03:29 AM
Is there something in place to stop you charming the mob to do turn-ins/recharges?

kenzar
08-22-2010, 03:38 AM
if you rolled an iksar, you'd most definitely be able to stay in kunark all the way. Struggling to remember the exact progression, but something like....

field of bone
lake of ill omen
???
dreadlands
karnor's
everything else

??? = Dalnir?

XeldiablosX
08-22-2010, 04:24 AM
Kurn's tower was great =p

Eternal-Elf
08-22-2010, 05:10 AM
If Kunark comes out....I'll never see anything in RL again. I loved Kunark

girth
08-22-2010, 05:33 AM
If Kunark comes out....I'll never see anything in RL again. I loved Kunark

I thought you quit here? Oh wait that was just you wanting attention.

Nightblade
08-22-2010, 05:44 AM
The amount of (interesting) content in Kunark was positively astounding. I loved it. Little stories and pieces of lore everywhere you turned. Between Howling Stones to City of Mist, Chardok to Karnor's, there was plenty to do, plenty to see, and a little something for everyone. Something that every class could find their niche and do extremely well.

Velious was very much the same. Extremely beautiful, with an interesting conception behind the story. Perhaps one of the most interesting, involved, and 'real' feeling quests in the entirety of the game (10th Ring War). Again, it introduced a little more for people to find their niche in, something for them to hone their skills or try new and interesting ideas. I remember watching my buddy quad kite in Cobalt Scar when he finally figured out how to group stuff up and nail them with Atol's Spectral Shackles before letting fly.

Not to mention the amount of lore, the depth of ideas put into it all... Ugh. I could go on forever about that kind of stuff. Nothing interests me more in a game than a well put together story. Graphics be damned, that's why I came back to Classic EQ after so long of being away with all the 'improvements' other games have made, before they lost sight of the true vision of gaming. The story.

Eternal-Elf
08-22-2010, 05:51 AM
I thought you quit here? Oh wait that was just you wanting attention.

Ahhh cuz you've never had a bad day. Go fuck yourself =)

astuce999
08-22-2010, 08:44 AM

field of bone
lake of ill omen
???
dreadlands
karnor's
everything else

FoB
LoIO
FM (Frontier Mountains)
OT (Overthere)
DL
KC - or your choice of high end zone/dungeon

Astuce Subterfuge

madara
08-22-2010, 09:09 AM
What we need when the time comes is a thread reminding of us the little things. I know most of you have perfect memories but its been a heck of long time for me. What classes should look for old and new spells, quests, etc.

Weekapaug
08-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Warsliks Woods after FoB, or you can start there instead of FoB as I recall. Theres a lot of overlap from zone to zone in kunark.

I'm stoked for CoM and Karnors, myself, and at least one good session crawling the snark fort in LoIO with a good group on an alt is a must-do at some point.

Come to think of it I'm pretty stoked for Chardok and HS, too, as well as making an iksar necro.

Weekapaug
08-22-2010, 09:13 AM
What we need when the time comes is a thread reminding of us the little things. I know most of you have perfect memories but its been a heck of long time for me. What classes should look for old and new spells, quests, etc.

3 words for you, my friend, should be a good start:

GEM
ENCRUSTED
RING

I got rooked out of one of those the first time around and I'm going after one hardcore this time.

gprater
08-22-2010, 09:43 AM
kaesora?

Tamika
08-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Kaesoria was really fun (:

Overcast
08-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Kaesoria was really fun (:

Once you got that temple area broke good, you could keep it going - for hours.

But the place is a bit of a challenge... depending on the group :)

Eccentricaa
08-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Kurns Tower
Dalnir
Kaesora
Mines of Nurga
Droga
KC
CoM
Chardok

They are technically outdoors, but I would consider the sarnak fort in loio an indoor feel, as well as the caves linking loio and WWoods. There is also the froggie city in the swam that has a small crawl feel to it.

Kunark has the best dungeons. Drop downs, with forced crawls out.. and some good loot off of random zone mobs.

Ive never liked the stationary camps, and would prefer the good dungeon crawls that challenges the players abilities...

Tamika
08-22-2010, 11:58 AM
I don't think I've ever been in Dalnir, what's it like?

guineapig
08-22-2010, 12:09 PM
3 words for you, my friend, should be a good start:

GEM
ENCRUSTED
RING

I got rooked out of one of those the first time around and I'm going after one hardcore this time.

Did the ring actually have Affliction Efficiency III during Kunark? I know classic items did not get focus affects added to them till Luclin but wan't sure about Kunark drops.

EDIT: Nevermind, I checked for myself, no focus effect during Kunark. The AC is nice on it though!

Eccentricaa
08-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Three floors, you jump down to get to.. so you cant simply zone back out.. without a little crawl .. or train.. Lots of caster mobs, plenty of runners and tight corners / paths make it hard for casters to nuke down runners.. Some of the tight spaces are kinda rough on the big guys without shrink.

I'll never forget my first leap of faith, down that red pool.. and the mobs that waited for me at the bottom..

Kunark dungeons need to be experienced when your the right level for it. A lvl 50 playing in Dalnir just wouldnt be impressed with the zone..

fugazi
08-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Releasing Kunark will push this server to the next level. Kunark is hands down the best expansion in terms of raw content for all levels. Velious is also great, but would be nothing without Kunark.

.. mm Velketors.

Supreme
08-22-2010, 01:29 PM
for much respect...it will be released.

madara
08-22-2010, 01:41 PM

Omg Dalnir is vastly original and the only dungeon to truly give me the creeps back in the day. Finding it, all the casting coerced right when you zone in, its really messed up. Does have it shares of bugs but I love it. I don't expect to see too many in there.

HeallunRumblebelly
08-22-2010, 01:43 PM

Regal Band was, SWC wasn't til like mid-velious :( /qq

edit: For those looking for kunark items, don't forget about goblin shrunken skull (useful for dispel dragons later ~) and goblin gazugi ring (which is super goddamn rare, but useful for all as an insta click shit buff and is -amazing- for breaking charms, lolswarm kiting D=)

fugazi
08-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Omg Dalnir is vastly original and the only dungeon to truly give me the creeps back in the day. Finding it, all the casting coerced right when you zone in, its really messed up. Does have it shares of bugs but I love it. I don't expect to see too many in there.

Owning in zones with a bunch of friends, knowing no one ever comes there, is just fantastic. I loved duo'ing as two mages in Nurga, its way better than going through the usual suspects in Norrath and gives you a sense of achievement - you did things your way, your mage was forged in cool dungeons and all that jizz.

Malrubius
08-22-2010, 02:54 PM
There are 10 amazing dungeons, huge outdoor zones, a huge ocean, huge cities...

You could live your entire EQ life in Kunark and be happy.

Itchybottom
08-22-2010, 03:24 PM
You could live your entire EQ life in Kunark and be happy.

As long as you don't die as a melee only class. Then, it's living hell.

Weekapaug
08-22-2010, 07:40 PM

Yep, Kunark CRs can be long, annoying and dicey.

Eternal-Elf
08-23-2010, 12:00 AM
Yep, Kunark CRs can be long, annoying and dicey.

Any CR is lame. But yes, Kunark did have some good memories of tooling around naked.....

Taluvill
08-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Kunark CR's were the worst... No levi trying to get to karnors come to mind?

Eternal-Elf
08-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Kunark CR's were the worst... No levi trying to get to karnors come to mind?

bahahaha. THOSE were the days.

eqdruid76
08-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Burned Woods is a good zone for levelling and plat, if you can find it.....

Bubbles
08-23-2010, 01:18 AM

ppl play melees?

I thought that didnt even start till Kunark. :)

Weekapaug
08-23-2010, 01:53 AM

LOL anyone have a link for that?

I've gotten the GF up to speed on the Qwan and Fansy the Bard (the OTHER lore of EQ lol) but I had no luck on that one.

Nightblade
08-23-2010, 01:55 AM

OH GOD, MY BRAIN /sizzle.

I remember reading this and thinking that no human being could be that dumb.

Humanity has yet to disprove that hope is the first step on the road to disappointment for me.

gprater
08-23-2010, 08:59 AM

lots of angry little people if i recall. and other stuff

Omnimorph
08-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Dalnir... my first kunark experience and the home of the elusive "crescent armour"! I remember seeing these on an eq website and thought... my monk needs that stuff! Running him (level 30ish at the time) to dalnir, and then noticing... no one comes here... ever... no groups to join, no high levels clearing mobs... just empty zone... and me.

I thought i'd take my chances, and died a floor or 2 down... that was a fun CR... i think i was still bound in FP when i died too :p

Kunark was hands down, my favourite expansion, i'm looking very much forward to it... and getting myself a set of preserved chokidai vocal cords... one of my favourite toy items of all time :D

ukaking
08-23-2010, 09:40 AM
My guild always used Dalnir as a Dungeon training ground and to lvl from 25-35. It could be a nasty bitch of a dungeon with the caster mobs and how social they can be. The drop down to the next floors was always an "oh shit" moment and the only way out was to fight to the end. VERY VERY cool dungeon!

ElanoraBryght
08-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Burned Woods (http://ancarett.com/eqhumour.html)
Enjoy :p

I've gotten the GF up to speed on the Qwan and Fansy the Bard (the OTHER lore of EQ lol) but I had no luck on that one.

Dominick
08-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Dalnir... my first kunark experience and the home of the elusive "crescent armour"! I remember seeing these on an eq website and thought... my monk needs that stuff! Running him (level 30ish at the time) to dalnir, and then noticing... no one comes here... ever... no groups to join, no high levels clearing mobs... just empty zone... and me.

I thought i'd take my chances, and died a floor or 2 down... that was a fun CR... i think i was still bound in FP when i died too :p

Kunark was hands down, my favourite expansion, i'm looking very much forward to it... and getting myself a set of preserved chokidai vocal cords... one of my favourite toy items of all time :D

It was a bring your own place but I enjoyed it. I used to solo the brutes outside and solo the entrance. In farther soloing is tough.

I could always get guides to come and do the place. I was lucky.

Overcast
08-23-2010, 12:19 PM

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11468

Quon's in there - and more :)

Excision Rottun
08-23-2010, 12:58 PM
goblin gazugi ring (which is super goddamn rare, but useful for all as an insta click shit buff and is -amazing- for breaking charms, lolswarm kiting D=)

This.

ShadowWulf
08-23-2010, 02:48 PM
So there I was.....minding my own business in The Overthere, when all of a sudden I see the message: "d00d sow plz".

Of course, my natural instinct was not to answer, since I thought the clueless newb (hereafter referred to politely as "the petitioner") must have been poorly informed at best.

Boy was I ever wrong.

I switch out of 1st person into an external camera, and what did my wandering eyes behold? Only myself and the petitioner.

So I says to myself...."Self? You need to edumacate this fella!"

(Keep in mind what the overall setting looked like: There I was, in skeleton form, carrying a scythe, FLOATING IN MIDAIR IN A MEDITATING POSITION, with a LARGE dark-brown skeleton named "Gibober" standing behind me. Ummm....No, skippy, I'm not a druid or a shaman.)

I say "Wish I could, bro, but I don't have SoW. I'm a Necromancer."

The Petitioner says, "$#*&@#$ dick, sow me already! it's for a cr"

Feeling as if my feathers had been ruffled a bit, I do a "/who all dumbass" (um..pardon..I meant "/who all petitioner")

This is where I discovered the "/who all" bug. Certainly it must have been a bug, right? There's NO WAY IN CREATION the dumbas...err...petitioner could have been a level 31 Dark Elf Wizard, right???? RIGHT????? /em begins to cry like a little girl.

Well, needless to say, I couldn't have been any more shocked than if my pet began dancing an Irish Jig. I quickly begin the arduous task of maintaining my composure, while deciding how best to deal with this tricky situation.

I say, "Necromancer's can't cast SoW".

Petitioner says, "Bull@#$%! you cast a spell while you were running and you sped up! i couldn't catch you until you sat down! if you're not going to sow me just say so you dont have to be a dick about it a$$hole"

Yes I know....he didn't use any punctuation in that last sentence.

I say, "I have JBoots."

He says, "what are they"

Before I have a chance to pick my chin up off the floor....

Petitioner asks, "can you buff my hps my hp sux"

I say, "I can't buff you, dude. I'm a necromancer. I only have one buff that you would probably want."

He says, "yeah the one you won't give me dick"

Ok. Time to have fun with the hopelessly clueless.

I say, "Why do you need a sow?"

He says, "i need to get to burned woods to hunt. sumbody said its perfect for my level"

Yep. That's what he said......"burned woods".

I say, "man are you ever in the wrong place."

He says, "?"

Apparently he found the "question mark" key conveniently located nearby other various and sundry communication facilitators.

I didn't answer him.

He repeats, "??"

Found it twice...good for him.

He repeats, "???"

Having an IQ greater than plantlife, I sensed a pattern forming.

I say, "You are NO WHERE near Burned Woods."

He says, "my friend told me it was in kunark"

I say, "Yeah, the operative word there is 'WAS'. There was a major patch a couple of months ago after a bunch of complaints were filed about 'static content'."

He says, "?"

I say, "!"

He says, "?"

I say, ","

He says, "wtf"

I say, "no, already have some."

He says, "????"

I don't respond.

He says, "so where the @#$% is burned woods"

He lost the question mark button again. Probably popped off when he was sniffing his feet.

I say, "Well, THIS week it's south of Freeport. It changes with every patch, since they began randomizing zone locations."

My guild is hysterical at this point. And I haven't even told them the ENTIRE story yet. Just snippets.

He says, "@#$% i just got off the boat"

I say, "You don't need the boat."

He says "why"

I say, "You're a wizard!"

He says, "how you know that"

I say, "I did a /wh...nevermind....the important thing is you have teleportation spells."

He says, "oh yeah the green ones"

I nod.

I say, "Yep. The 'green ones'. Pretty nice how you have them grouped by color."

He says, "thx"

I say, "How'd you think about doing it that way?"

He says, "they were all @#$%## up when i got this char"

I say, "Sit down and mem the spell 'Fay Gate'."

He says, "why"

Question mark key is on the ground in front of your chair, guy. Mixed in with your collection of boogers.

I say, "It's going to put you within spitting distance of Burned Woods."

He says, "how do you know"

I say, "All patch messages come with a zone connection map."

He says, "oh"

I say, "Ok. You have it memmed now?"

He had just stood up after what I assumed was meditating/looking at his spell book.

He says, "yeah"

I say, "Ok. Cast the spell and let me know when you get there."

Dumba...errr....Petitioner begins to cast a spell.

A LONG time goes by.....ok, maybe 5 minutes
I still haven't heard from him.

Getting curious:

I tell petitioner, "Are you there yet?"

No reply. No reply at all. [Yes, I'm a Genesis fan... ]

Obviously he's there, or my tell wouldn't have gone through.

I tell petitioner, "Hit the 'r' key to reply to me."

He replies, "i'm here now where do i go."

Right idea....wrong punctuation mark. Oh well. "C" for effort.

I tell petitioner, "Ok, do you see a hotkey on the screen that says 'Sense Heading'?"

He replies, "no"

I reply, "Hit the arrow buttons one by one until you see one."

It was a guess, but an educated one.

He replies, "found it"

I reply, "Click on it."

He replies, "north"

I reply, "Ok, you need to head east along the path. Keep going until the path turns north. When it forks to the right, take the right fork."

He replies, "ok"

Who knows, maybe the guy who sold his account on Ebay worked his Felwithe faction up.

He replies, "sumbody told me i shouldnt be here cause i'm a dark elf"

I reply, "They were roleplaying."

He replies, "oh hehe @#$%@#$ morons ;P"

Priceless. Utterly priceless, I tell you.

I reply, "Where are you?"

He replies, "i see something now. looks like a castle"

I reply, "Run into the castle as fast as you can. The guards might give you some trouble, just keep running."

Yeah...damned conscience started kicking in.

A fairly long period of time passes. Not sure how long, but longer than I was expecting.

I tell petitioner, "What happened?"

As if I didn't know....

He replies, "my spells are gone!"

I reply, "What happened?"

He replies, "i died why"

I reply, "Oh man! Did I tell you to run east or west?"

He replies, "east wtf???"

I reply, "Yikes. My bad. You should have run west."

He replies, "?"

I reply, "So where are you now?"

He replies, "how can i tell"

I reply, "Look right after you see 'Loading please wait'. It should tell you 'You have entered [zone]'."

He replies "it doesnt say [zone] there."

After smacking my head against my monitor....

I reply, "What does it say in place of [zone]?".

Get this....

He replies, "Burning Woods"

I nearly fell out of my chair! I couldn't have PLANNED it that way!

He replies, "is that the same as burned woods"

I reply, "No, but you're close. Start running south so you can get your corpse back."

He replies, "i have to get my corpse back?????"

/ignore petitioner

Moral of the story: EBay...Just Say No!

Out of sheer curiosity, I took him off ignore later to find out what happened.

I tell petitioner, "How's it going?"

He replies, "wtf? where you been"

I reply, "been afk, sorry."

He replies, "got my corpse back. some dude rezzed me."

My conscience somewhat eased...

I reply, "Really? Cool! Where are you now?"

He replies, "iceclad ocean"

I scratch my head a few times.

I reply, "Why Velious?"

He replies, "the guy that rezzed me told me burned woods was in western wastes this week"

I don't recall exactly how long it took me to stop laughing. I stopped breathing shortly before my dog dialed 911.

He replied, "@#$%&* wouldnt sow me either. what is that sh#$ gold?"

That's what finally killed me. I'm writing this from the afterlife.

Mujahid Mukhtaar
Questmaster of the Enchanted Circle (Solusek Ro Server)