PDA

View Full Version : Favorite EQ Memory

mdaro
05-17-2014, 09:51 AM
I know 99 has been around a bit but having just stumbled upon it this week I am crazy excited to be back in classic everquest!

I'll start it off.

As low level toons leveling up in an all Dwarf guild on Drinal, we used to bank all of our armor and weapons and head to CB with stacks of ale and rusty weapons. We would drink until our video screens were blurry and see how far we could get into the Orc fortress drunk and angry!

I miss my old dwarf buddies and I still have the memories of some being so drunk they ran into the water and drowned without killing an Orc!

Swish
05-17-2014, 10:12 AM
A "classic" EQ memory was winning a Shiny Brass Shield from the orc trainer when I first started on EQ back on Prexus :p

Skittlez
05-17-2014, 11:03 AM
I remember my first character 'fell' off the dwarf boat otw to Freeport. I drowned with 500p of my fathers plat and never recovered my corpse or items, haha. He was pissed and I was super bummed. Re made my toon and actually got the +35 HP barbute from a very nice guy. Made it to the mid 30s ish, then my dad sold the account. Womp womp.

Brut
05-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Running around Grobb on my troll, spotting an ogre with the big grinning face, camping and creating one of those immediately.

bluejam
05-17-2014, 11:33 AM
top3 in no particular order

when I got my AoW pants
first time I raided NTOV
first time I raided ST

Iksandar Peregrinus
05-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Explaining to a Brit chick enchanter in BB why calling us "Yanks" in PM had pissed off my buddy from Alabama.

Skittlez
05-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Explaining to a Brit chick enchanter in BB why calling us "Yanks" in PM had pissed off my buddy from Alabama.

Haha

Arrngrim79
05-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Camping aviak towers solo as a shaman near the arena zone...for days...

Also, wisp isle...that is all.

mdaro
05-17-2014, 02:00 PM

I forgot about the towers with my Barb Shaman!

creativename02
05-17-2014, 02:54 PM
I know 99 has been around a bit but having just stumbled upon it this week I am crazy excited to be back in classic everquest!

I'll start it off.

As low level toons leveling up in an all Dwarf guild on Drinal, we used to bank all of our armor and weapons and head to CB with stacks of ale and rusty weapons. We would drink until our video screens were blurry and see how far we could get into the Orc fortress drunk and angry!

I miss my old dwarf buddies and I still have the memories of some being so drunk they ran into the water and drowned without killing an Orc!
I also played on Drinal and remember your guild! What was it called again? The name of it had Little in it some where if I can remember correctly.

Ahldagor
05-17-2014, 03:07 PM
running through kithicor on a halfling rogue then reading "you feel as if you are about to fall" "loading please wait" on a 56k modem. was one of the first characters i made.

Jauna
05-17-2014, 03:23 PM
A friend bringing me to South Karana at the Aviak village for some exp. Then seeing Quillmane for the first time at the village a few days later.

nilzark
05-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Falling in the water in Neriak immediately after creating my first DE SK.
Grouping and soloing for days on end in Cazic Thule, attempting to collect pieces for Dark Forge Armor.
Raiding Naggy for the first time and after getting passed all the fire giants, getting immediately killed by Naggy.
Getting a random PM from some group in Kith letting me come loot an Ashenbone Shield when I was around level 15.
Finally after years of playing, leveling past lvl 50.

beyondinfin
05-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Def on human monk finally geting Raster of Guk to spawn after camping him solo on an off for a MONTH (lvl 45-51).
I also have INSANELY fond memories of going on a Naggy PUG while listening to Dark Side of the Moon for the first time (completel album). We didnt kill the dragon but I found my favorite band of all time. Ahhh good old HS days.

captnamazing
05-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Pointing my face at the ground when running through crowded zones to avoid the horrible frame lag

Frug
05-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Pointing my face at the ground when running through crowded zones to avoid the horrible frame lag

Nice one; forgot about this.

bigsykedaddy
05-17-2014, 04:18 PM

I did the same thing with my Enchanter on this server. Brought back memories.

One of my favorite memories was during classic era. I only had one toon back then and I put all my time into him. He was on the Povar server and his name was Niaz, the Troll Warrior. I remember being in Cazic Thule killing lizards and seeing this Ogre turn into a Dark Elf. I was amazed, and promptly asked this Ogre how he did it. He then explained to me what a guise of deceivers was. Off to Lower Guk I went!

I got to the assassin camp when I was around level 38 on a Friday night and stayed there for hours and hours until it was my turn to get the mask. When it finally dropped I was so happy, it was amazing! My other friend who also happened to be a Troll warrior friend was like " meh that's cool I guess, I'll get one later." The next week Verant patched the game and took out the Guise and put in the Mask of Deception. Needless to say my friend was pissed!

NegaStoat
05-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Side note on the old pre nerf mask of deception. When I first got into the game I made a Dark Elf SK and couldn't find my way out of Neriak 3rd gate. yeah, we all had that happen.

Anyway, after making it to like level 10 I decided that I didn't like being hated everywhere, and wanted to be a Ranger instead. But I really liked the name I had and the gear I had accumulated (partial small banded, partial tattered leather, a FS longsword and a FS 2h sword + bags).

I decided to try an experiment. I put everything on the character, had a guard in freeport kill me, and then I logged off and deleted my character. I made a brand new level 1 Wood Elf ranger and ran it to the boat in Butcherblock. I took the boat over to freeport and *looted* the dark elf corpse - because my character's name matched.

My friend told me I was full of utter shit but then he inspected me and saw the same crap gear. Word got out, and people that had the pre nerf mask on mid level alts that they knew they weren't going to level suddenly killed them off and re rolled, looting the No Drop mask on their new level 1 characters.

This was on old Fennin Ro server, before the /consent command allowed people to drag your corpse instead of looting what was on it. Sadly a patch swiftly closed off both of those old situations.

Velium
05-17-2014, 05:20 PM
That time p1999 blue went down

Sadre Spinegnawer
05-17-2014, 05:22 PM

I'll start it off.

shit's classic :)

Nihilist_santa
05-17-2014, 05:24 PM
Side note on the old pre nerf mask of deception. When I first got into the game I made a Dark Elf SK and couldn't find my way out of Neriak 3rd gate. yeah, we all had that happen.

Anyway, after making it to like level 10 I decided that I didn't like being hated everywhere, and wanted to be a Ranger instead. But I really liked the name I had and the gear I had accumulated (partial small banded, partial tattered leather, a FS longsword and a FS 2h sword + bags).

I decided to try an experiment. I put everything on the character, had a guard in freeport kill me, and then I logged off and deleted my character. I made a brand new level 1 Wood Elf ranger and ran it to the boat in Butcherblock. I took the boat over to freeport and *looted* the dark elf corpse - because my character's name matched.

My friend told me I was full of utter shit but then he inspected me and saw the same crap gear. Word got out, and people that had the pre nerf mask on mid level alts that they knew they weren't going to level suddenly killed them off and re rolled, looting the No Drop mask on their new level 1 characters.

This was on old Fennin Ro server, before the /consent command allowed people to drag your corpse instead of looting what was on it. Sadly a patch swiftly closed off both of those old situations.

One of my first memories was my first char a Dwarf Paladin that had just hit 9 with about the same crap level of gear but upon dying outside Crushbone and not knowing how to get back there someone messaged me and said they would help me get my stuff if I consented them. Anyways they took all of my stuff and I rerolled an evil toon since the people on that side of the world were dicks apparently. So glad that was later nerfed.

baloen
05-17-2014, 05:25 PM

Had this same conversation with someone on Star Wars Galaxies. lol

Swish
05-17-2014, 05:35 PM
Easily done on the Yanks thing, I've done it myself but never had that kind of anger coming back my way.

According to Muricans we all drink tea, sound like Hugh Grant or "House", have bad teeth and various other shit that's just a weird stereotype.

(I do drink tea sometimes, but I don't sound anything like a British actor and have a decent set of teeth :p)

picklefixer
05-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Talking to a bartender i knew at Applebee's one night and him telling me about this game called Everquest and he was fighting huge Sand Giants that took his whole group to kill....

Went out and bought asap along with the guide. Got home and read that damn guide for hours and hours trying to decide what class i wanted to play.

Finally just picked a woodelf ranger to see the game...my cousin was bustin my balls to just load the damn game so we could see it!

Was fuckin blown away...

<Insert SweetAss Sig Here>
Mrtwig

kaev
05-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Not realizing that NPCs forgot situational KOS as soon as you zoned (or died) and rerolling my first char after accidentally attacking the NPC trainer.

Being elated at the discovery of muffins and milk on vendors (back when most of us were mostly clueless, and newb gear stayed on your corpse instead of respawning with you, keeping stocked on food and drink could be challenging at very low level.)

Politely turning down a DE Rogue's offer to fetch the loot from my Paladin's corpse in the river in Nektulos.

Recovering the gear from an alt I got tired of by jumping off the highest rooftop in Kelethin and then /consenting my main.

Zoning immediately back to Crushbone after fleeing a train, only to be insta-gibbed by D'Vinn because he hadn't reset yet (there were so few textures & etc. to load on zoning in the original game that it only took ~ 10 seconds to zone back and forth between CB and GFay with my "awesome" 200MHz Pentium MMX cpu and Diamond Monster Fusion (Voodoo Banshee) video.)

Thanking a wizard for helping me kill a Lego in CB (he was blatantly trying to KS but didn't realize my gear was better than rusty and started his nuke too late.) Then having the wiz totally miss the sarcasm, to the point that he informed me he "wasn't trying to help."

Buying my first magic weapon and joining the ever-popular Norrath-wide jihad on wisps.

joppykid
05-18-2014, 12:52 AM
Sitting in Greater Faydark with all of my backpacks in the house next to the bank to show people what I had for sale. Most nostalgic music in the game for me in that zone.

mdaro
05-18-2014, 10:23 AM
I also played on Drinal and remember your guild! What was it called again? The name of it had Little in it some where if I can remember correctly.

There were two on the server. Imperial Guard of Kaladim was dwarf only. I can't remember the name of the other guild, they allowed gnomes and halflings in theirs.

We never lowered our standards! :)