PDA

View Full Version : Enchanter Charm ?

Diogene
08-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Hi, I'm enchanter lvl 12 and just got my spell charm, and every time I try to charm, it does'nt hold. have been tryin on blue and light blue, but doesn't last more than a sec. I have 85 CHA. I tried to tashan before, but does'nt seem to improve much. Any ideas?

Taluvill
08-23-2010, 02:32 AM
get a LOT more cha.
Like to effectively charm kill, at lower levels i think you need like 150-160 +. At high levels, 200+ is a must, with anything closer to 255 being the best.

silveredge
08-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Glad to know it wasn't just me with this problem.

I don't remember having much trouble back on live with my High Elf Enchanter just starting out without too much +CHA gear. I guess he was much closer to 150 CHA than I remember.

My new wood elf druid on P1999 with 75 CHA couldn't hold charm a light blue lioness for more than 3 seconds and I was all omgwtfbbq!

For some reason I had believed charming was really more magic resist-based than having that much to do with CHA, and apparently that's wrong.

azeth
08-23-2010, 09:04 AM
the risk/reward for charms prior to Cajolling (sp?) Whispers is awful. Your pet, in my opinion, is a better option until then.

fugazi
08-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Its a good thing Im a gnome, what with my high starting cha .. oh crap :(

Striiker
08-23-2010, 11:23 AM
It's a known issue with the lower level charm. I tried to get the devs to look into it in the Bugs forum but was unsuccessful. The experience on this server is VERY different than it was on classic in 1999 / 2000 when it comes to charm. Back in those days, I was able to effectively use charm (an Erudite Enchanter without much/any +charisma items). I used it with considerable success in North Karana soloing the beetles, Griffawns, etc. When I tried this on P99, Charm dropped within seconds each time (and yes, I tash'd). I died several times learning this lesson (plus learning that unlike on classic, the mobs (beetles) outrun you easily so I had no chance to recharm as I always did on classic) and got my ass chewed upon by two very angry mobs.
As others have stated, give up on charm until much later in the game and stick with your animations. It sucks but it's not going to be fixed.

Aetherial
08-23-2010, 11:36 AM
It could be something as simple (not simple to fix) as the charm mechanic was adjusted because of the gradual availability of CHA gear...

If it wasn't adjusted back again, I could see this as being a perfect example of something that did not scale backwards well when you go back to "classic".

Messianic
08-23-2010, 11:47 AM
the risk/reward for charms prior to Cajolling (sp?) Whispers is awful. Your pet, in my opinion, is a better option until then.

Azeth! Why aren't you in HighKeep getting me rich (relatively) =D

redghosthunter
08-23-2010, 01:07 PM
At lvl 12 as a gearless ENC - it be a good time to think about starting a Non-gear dependent char. Unless you have a rich benefactor who will hand ya plat and gear. There are classes who still do well without starting $$$

azeth
08-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Azeth! Why aren't you in HighKeep getting me rich (relatively) =D

I knew I recognized the name Heat Wave from your sig.

I knew it.

Arclanz
08-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Yep at lvl 12, my charm lasted at most one tick. Now that I'm 23 with 115 charisma (ya could be higher I guess), I have not even tried to use Beguile. Like someone else said; it just seems better to use your pet. Sad but true. On live, I love using charm :)

nicemace
08-23-2010, 04:58 PM
your animation works fine for low lvls, dont bother with charm.

you can lvl solo to 35+ as an ench in full cloth nothing else, anyone who says you need gear as a ench is bad.

however, if you want to charm. yeah get gear.. tho cha gear is hell cheap. im sitting on 250 at the mo, still want that extra 5 points.

once you get the gear, charm is the only thing you'll use pretty much. pitty you cant level well on guards anymore, that shit was OP.

Diogene
08-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Ok, i'll stick with Gibantik then, thanks for infos...