PDA

View Full Version : What's behind the drop in prices?

Victorio
05-23-2014, 08:18 PM
I'm sure everyone has noticed how most items have recently dropped considerably in price, often by around 40%. What is the biggest driver behind this? Was it the giant ban wave of plat traders? Is it a seasonal thing? Are people holding out on certain items from Velious? Discuss.

Fame
05-23-2014, 08:22 PM
rmt ban wave

HethGnome
05-23-2014, 08:44 PM
People selling their droppables off before velious.

zanderklocke
05-23-2014, 09:01 PM
People selling their droppables off before velious.

Ever since Velious beta, items have been dropping in price.

Argh
05-23-2014, 09:03 PM
RMT ban wave removed a ton of plat, at least 10 million pp. Removing plat means plat is more valuable, thus items are cheaper.

Clark
05-23-2014, 09:20 PM
RMT ban wave removed a ton of plat, at least 10 million pp. Removing plat means plat is more valuable, thus items are cheaper.

+ Velious beta scare.

captnamazing
05-23-2014, 09:49 PM
good bye RMT plat.

Adolphus
05-24-2014, 12:14 AM
This has to do with Velious more than anything. Everyone is buying Blue Diamonds. Everyone is selling weapons (because weapons take the biggest hit after Velious) . . . this all started happening with the Beta server came up and people actually started raiding on it.

But I think Velious is still a long ways off (many months) and people are jumping the gun big time here.

blondeattk
05-24-2014, 12:45 AM
imo the drop is also cos summer is here.

People have better things to do with their lives....go outside and pretend to be normal(ish)

BlkCamel
05-24-2014, 01:52 AM
server more popular then ever, if summer was reason prices would go up. I think its the RMT bans. Alot of plat left the market. Top down economics in play.

BlkCamel
05-24-2014, 01:53 AM
server more popular then ever, if summer was reason prices would go up. I think its the RMT bans. Alot of plat left the market. Top down economics in play.

as an aside depending on how long velious takes to come out. The glut of mid levels currently on server reaching maturity should bring prices back up to previous levels. As many of the banned come back and relevel plus eq mac plus summer plus plus plus

Clark
05-24-2014, 03:18 AM
server more popular then ever, if summer was reason prices would go up.

fastboy21
05-24-2014, 07:56 AM
static server = prices come down. other issues as well, but over time this is the one that will be the biggest the challenge to this server.

when (buyable/mqable) classic (i.e. through velious) best in slot items decrease in price it isn't a fear caused by velious being released in the near future. these items should be unaffected in demand by the release of velious. if their prices drop (and they are) its because of something else. the biggest factor dropping them is just good old fashioned mud flation.

as folks join/return to the server at the release of velious you can expect to see a rise in prices. this will last a long time, but will not be permanent. this is a static server. short of some unnatural GM intervention to remove excess money from the economy, decrease the supply (i.e. drop rates) of core items, decrease the money supply (i.e. vendor loot/pp drops) etc. this will run the natural course of a server with a limited play base over time.

to be honest, I'm surprised the server's economy has remained as relatively healthy as it has over the last few years. i didn't think it would take nearly this long...we're getting there (look at epic MQ prices, etc), but the economy has held fairly strong considering. i'd say it is because of the very healthy population, both of new players and continuing players content to roll alt after alt after alt and keep consuming in the economy.

if kunark is any indicator of velious, then this server should have at least another few years of viable economy after velious release.

Champion_Standing
05-24-2014, 08:31 AM
Well the RMT ban wave had an impact im sure, but I don't know if they ever said how much much pp they took out of the game. Another thing to consider is that some of the most notorious RMTers on this server did nothing but tunnel rat and sell things at insanely high prices. When they go on like that long enough everyone starts raising their prices.

Incoming velious helps too, a lot of people trying to unload their banks before the items become worth a lot less once OP Velious gear starts dropping.

Brut
05-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Yea alot of easy repped items that are big-time now but not so much in Verious are going down (see: Insig Prot).

People still seem to think thought that every lvl40 ry'gorr drops gear that trumps dragon loot in Kunark era. Play on beta some, run around doing quests, clearing kael, realize soon enough that only thing you have so far replaced was NoS with a WW dragon necklace.

Gaffin 7.0
05-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Yea alot of easy repped items that are big-time now but not so much in Verious are going down (see: Insig Prot).

People still seem to think thought that every lvl40 ry'gorr drops gear that trumps dragon loot in Kunark era. Play on beta some, run around doing quests, clearing kael, realize soon enough that only thing you have so far replaced was NoS with a WW dragon necklace.

Well said Brut! Price drops right now are kinda the suck

webrunner5
05-24-2014, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I agree, RMT'ers belly up and Velious on the horizon. Any weapon you have you think is nice now will be ho hum in Velious.

You are NOT going to fight a Frost Giant Elite in Great Divide with a Orc Pick. So soon hopefully, it will be plan "B". :)

Tankdan
05-24-2014, 03:40 PM
imo the drop is also cos summer is here.

People have better things to do with their lives....go outside and pretend to be normal(ish)

This is a myth, look at data of people playing and/or subscribing to MMORPGs, summer has very little to do with it.

HeallunRumblebelly
05-24-2014, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I agree, RMT'ers belly up and Velious on the horizon. Any weapon you have you think is nice now will be ho hum in Velious.

You are NOT going to fight a Frost Giant Elite in Great Divide with a Orc Pick. So soon hopefully, it will be plan "B". :)

Weapons are only sleight upgrades if non updated versions. I think we'll be getting the updated versions, though, but cannot be certain. Furthermore, ToV is currently hard as shit, so, good luck with repping those day 1 :p

renegadeofunk
05-24-2014, 10:50 PM
I've been away for a while, why are Staves of Shielding only ~4k now? I remember them hovering around 27-28 before I quit.

Cecily
05-24-2014, 11:44 PM
Because of Chardok AE.

IzHaN80
05-25-2014, 03:16 AM
RMT Ban removed lot of the plat from this server, thus making plat more valuable and escarce now.

sunmilk
05-25-2014, 03:28 AM
This is the beginning of a mass exodus to the red server. Already people are becoming desperate for red platinum... the demand has been noted red-side and transfer rates have skyrocketed. The demand just outweighs the supply.

On the blue server, liquidity is at an all time premium. Must liquidate gear to get plat to xfer to red. Plat is king in this economy where blue is feeding red dozens of players by the day. All day long I see in red "WTT blue for red" and can only imagine what is going on blue side.

But I guess this is exactly what is happening on blue, and it makes complete sense. Enjoy your cheap prices, consider yourself lucky!

indiscriminate_hater
05-25-2014, 03:42 AM
"There are literally dozens of us"

-- red

fastboy21
05-25-2014, 11:16 AM
This is the beginning of a mass exodus to the red server. Already people are becoming desperate for red platinum... the demand has been noted red-side and transfer rates have skyrocketed. The demand just outweighs the supply.

On the blue server, liquidity is at an all time premium. Must liquidate gear to get plat to xfer to red. Plat is king in this economy where blue is feeding red dozens of players by the day. All day long I see in red "WTT blue for red" and can only imagine what is going on blue side.

But I guess this is exactly what is happening on blue, and it makes complete sense. Enjoy your cheap prices, consider yourself lucky!

Are these arrangements within/protected by the server policies?

Swish
05-25-2014, 11:22 AM
Velious is still a long ways off (many months) and people are jumping the gun big time here.

^^ + http://i.imgur.com/F1MLfqd.gif

Splorf22
05-25-2014, 11:39 AM
Pretty much what has been said so far: summer slump in population, velious on the horizon, RMT ban wave.

I don't think Red has much to do with it. If someone sells gear for pp to swap over to Red, presumably the buyer will just buy blue gear again.

Swish
05-25-2014, 12:23 PM
What's the huge problem with everyone on the server building up their plat reserves?

Huge inflation pals when it all comes back into the system, you won't get any Velious pixels unless you've either been farming endless epic MQs or spending a lot of time PL'ing people in Chardok etc.

Enjoy that, I look forward to the tears in RNF.

Brut
05-25-2014, 12:45 PM
What Velious pixels do people think they're buying?
Prty sure there aint gonna be no armor MQs or Lodi Shields up for grabs for nearly half a year, no matter how much plat you'd throw up.

HeallunRumblebelly
05-25-2014, 12:47 PM
Prty sure there aint gonna be no armor MQs or Lodi Shields up for grabs for nearly half a year, no matter how much plat you'd throw up.

Nah, leather armor will be available for MQ within 3 months, guaranteed. Only problem is no one wants it! :P

edit: And lodi shields, eh...decent EB item, but I'm not going to wear it over hiero and certainly not over a shroud (or even less over an eashan cloak!)

I think AoNs coming from zland and eventually from more mobs in revamped fear will be a huge hit in that market. I think 36 haste will take an even larger hit as more guilds will be capable of attaining 41 haste, especially if they c/ffa/r shit like tormax. I think holgresh elder beads will be worth their weight in virgins (young women, not you people) in about 2 years. You're kidding yourself if you don't think SoDs / BoCs / flayed barb legs / flayed barb mask et al won't be sold for sweet sweet RMT cash. Speaking of that last line--can we go ahead and make the raid loot no drop already? Classic or not, fuck RMT.

fastboy21
05-25-2014, 02:37 PM

armor MQs will be for sale almost on day 1. guilds here are more than equipped/knowledgeable to farm them with small grps or even solo.

HeallunRumblebelly
05-25-2014, 02:54 PM
armor MQs will be for sale almost on day 1. guilds here are more than equipped/knowledgeable to farm them with small grps or even solo.

Not halls of testing (the only mq you'd actually, y'know, buy). Those (especially plate) will be rare for 3-5 months, but eventually it'll become a cash camp I'd imagine.

fastboy21
05-25-2014, 02:55 PM
why do you think folks wouldn't be interested in thurg MQs? especially BPs.

Splorf22
05-25-2014, 03:14 PM
I think 95% of the market is going to be plane of mischief cards and Dwarf MQs. After a few months maybe the Dragon/Giant ones too. Everyone is going to want full sets for their 10 alts.

HeallunRumblebelly
05-25-2014, 03:16 PM
why do you think folks wouldn't be interested in thurg MQs? especially BPs.

Because they're not BiS. And people have a hardon for BiS :p

fastboy21
05-25-2014, 03:21 PM
mischief cards will be interesting...on live this was something that i never really got into or even knew anyone that did the pom stuff.

sunmilk
05-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Pretty much what has been said so far: summer slump in population, velious on the horizon, RMT ban wave.

I don't think Red has much to do with it. If someone sells gear for pp to swap over to Red, presumably the buyer will just buy blue gear again.

I don't think you understand what liquidity means, or why someone who is trying to transfer their wealth from one server to the next would want to have their assets liquidated... The question in the OP is what is behind the drop in (blue) prices. Blue players with blue items who want to transfer their wealth to red want to convert their blue items to blue plat so they can trade their blue plat for red plat. (They "liquify" their gear for plat because plat/currency is more GENERALLY desirable--you understand this).

These blue players that are transferring to red have a demand for red plat that is time sensitive. Obviously people would rather start with plat/gear at level 1, than start at level 1 with nothing and grind to level (??) before being able to transfer plat to buy gear and equip their character. So these people are willing to make sacrifices... they are not trading 1:1 blue to red, they are not selling their blue items for the full value they could otherwise fetch... they are willing to take a loss in wealth on blue for an immediate gain in wealth on red. And that is (at least part) of why blue items will be selling for discounted prices.

Also, when you talk about the "buyer (of the blue plat) will just buy blue gear again", that is pretty short sighted. First of all, there are a lot of people who don't currently (or formerly) play on blue that trade red:blue and blue:red simply for profit-making purposes. If you think this is weird, then you still don't understand the concept of liquidity or why liquidity has value. A person who is selling x-server plat has an easy means of generating plat on either or both servers simultaneously. You are making the blatantly false assumption that the "buyers" of this blue plat are 100% people who are coming over to blue to in a sense, replace the red seller. I gave a counter example before with x-server traders, but you can also see this trend reflected in the general population declines/increases over the past weeks (since the last patch went live).

Man0warr
05-25-2014, 04:13 PM
AoN doesnt drop from Zlandi

Splorf22
05-25-2014, 05:14 PM
nonsense

I love you how you inferred my ignorance of multiple topics from one sentence. Congratulations on a textbook strawman, not to mention a poor understanding of macroeconomics (hint: if those people buying the blue pp don't want to buy blue items, why not?)

HeallunRumblebelly
05-25-2014, 05:40 PM
AoN doesnt drop from Zlandi

Hrm, right you are. Not sure why I thought that. Just have to wait on the fear revamp then.

Frug
05-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Blue players with blue items who want to transfer their wealth to red want to convert their blue items to blue plat so they can trade their blue plat for red plat.

All 8 of them?

sunmilk
05-26-2014, 01:59 AM
I love you how you inferred my ignorance of multiple topics from one sentence. Congratulations on a textbook strawman, not to mention a poor understanding of macroeconomics (hint: if those people buying the blue pp don't want to buy blue items, why not?)

Your inability to see, read, or understand what I have written is not really something I have control over. However, I did take the time to break down an idea that you seemed to have a hard time understanding as well as give explicit examples. In regards to your "hint" (which I'll be honest -- it doesn't make complete sense), I believe I've already answered your ... hint(?)/question.

Also, when you talk about the "buyer (of the blue plat) will just buy blue gear again", that is pretty short sighted. First of all, there are a lot of people who don't currently (or formerly) play on blue that trade red:blue and blue:red simply for profit-making purposes. If you think this is weird, then you still don't understand the concept of liquidity or why liquidity has value. A person who is selling x-server plat has an easy means of generating plat on either or both servers simultaneously. You are making the blatantly false assumption that the "buyers" of this blue plat are 100% people who are coming over to blue to in a sense, replace the red seller. I gave a counter example before with x-server traders, but you can also see this trend reflected in the general population declines/increases over the past weeks (since the last patch went live).

Here I have quoted (and bolded to increase visibility/emphasis for you...) an example of "why not" "those people buying the blue pp don't want to buy blue items."

It's funny that you are the one accusing me of creating the logical fallacy when you were unable to respond with anything more than an emotional response. But this bold text should help with your "hint" in particular.

Splorf22
05-26-2014, 04:12 PM
There are over 100 million pp on blue. What you are (still) failing to understand is that platinum on P1999 functions more as a store of value (i.e. gold) not liquidity (money) because unlike the real world there are no bonds (fungi) or stocks (Kunark items that will go up in Velious) on this server. If you were actually thinking instead of attempting to be supercilious, you would have realized this by now.

Atalya
05-27-2014, 02:02 PM

Dont kid yourself... this has NOTHING to do with people trying to get money on red... No one fucking cares about that server except Derubeul

r00t
05-27-2014, 04:32 PM
fungi dropped like 20k overnight wtf

Erati
05-27-2014, 04:39 PM
fungi dropped like 20k overnight wtf

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150637

read this :)

when it gets fixed and Velious makes the drop rare again prices will go up however I dunno if resellers will allow Fungi's to drop much more than they currently are

they are getting bought up and resold pretty quickly