PDA

View Full Version : Worth signing up at this point?

Aetherial
08-23-2010, 11:05 AM
As of August 23, 2010.

I am considering signing up, pretty casual player...

Will I find myself alone at this point? Even classic EQ won't be much fun all alone :)

Enderenter
08-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Definitely worth starting up. There's plenty of players across all the levels. You won't find yourself alone - more likely you'll find it hard to find a group opening in many areas.

tinidas
08-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Welcome! As a very casual player, I'm having lots of fun. Sometimes finding a group outside the hotspots (anything close to EC, unrest, mistmoore) can be a challenge but they are there. Guess it depends on what you find fun but I think you'll enjoy it.

ElanoraBryght
08-23-2010, 11:17 AM
You won't be alone. The server population seems very stable, peaking in the high 800 to low 900 players range every evening (around 8 or 9 EST, I think). There seems to be a steady number of new players who have just heard about the server, people who enjoy leveling slowly, and people starting twinks after reaching 50 on their main.

If you're still not sure, you can watch the front page at http://www.project1999.org/index.php - in the right sidebar it shows you the current number of people logged in to the p1999 server.

And if you're worried about being alone, start a character that begins in Freeport. With the EC tunnel again the heart of the economy, you will never be alone there ;)

Messianic
08-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Even at the lower levels (10-20ish), grouping is fairly easy. As has been mentioned, the freeport area has the most activity, but there are definitely hubs elsewhere. Gfay/Crushbone is very active, although there are mainly levels 1-8 there, along with a few wizards who might be porting in for various reasons or people passing through to Unrest...

But with 900 people on, don't expect to find anyone in somewhere like Erud's Crossing (although there are occasionally people there and in the other isolated areas).

azeth
08-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Regardless of where the player base is versus an 8/23/2010 newbie is erroneous with regard to the timeline of P99 concluding at Velious.

Will you ever get a Guise of the Hunter? No.

Do you care? :)

Overcast
08-23-2010, 12:16 PM
You'll get trained nightly in Blackburrow, no worries. It's classic, lol

krforrester
08-23-2010, 12:17 PM
I started maybe a month ago and am very casual. There are tons of people of all levels.

Aetherial
08-23-2010, 12:38 PM
You'll get trained nightly in Blackburrow, no worries. It's classic, lol

*sniff*

I may just have to attack my class trainer, and fall in the hole in Blackburrow, just for old times sake.

redghosthunter
08-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Definitely worth starting up. There's plenty of players across all the levels. You won't find yourself alone - more likely you'll find it hard to find a group opening in many areas.

Lol, there are sooo many players that you will find it hard to find a group unless you like to solo in far away places like Karanas.

Overcast
08-23-2010, 12:41 PM
*sniff*

I may just have to attack my class trainer, and fall in the hole in Blackburrow, just for old times sake.

Just keep one thing in mind - since 1999 the fish have evolved. They now sport legs, such as snakes and their kicking ability - odd things..

But they will chase you out of the water, lol. Yes, the fish. And the snakes still kick too.

But seriously - was in BB this weekend on my Shaman, was in two good groups, was tremendous fun.

knottyb0y
08-23-2010, 01:42 PM
I just started this weekend too all i can say is do it!

the game is still very fun, I however suggest keeping in perspective that this is reliving something great, don't ruin it by rushing, group, explore and do dungeons and see things you never have. 50 will come quicker than you think if you spend every day making friends and working together. MY personal goal is to group as much as I can and see every zone i did not initially (played a troll warrior on tallon zek so missed some basic good guy dungeons etc). If you ever need a bard friend /tell dendris i'll be there. Welcome to the server

KNottyb0y * Gagresh (Tallon Zek) * Dendris (Project 1999)

joran
08-23-2010, 01:44 PM
In classic i remember fish chasing me out of the water also... i think i do at least

but yeh plenty of ppl I rarely have to spend more than 15-20 mins lfg before i find one...
once kunark comes out i think the population may become more spread out making it more difficult to find groups... but for now the grouping situation is pretty thumbs up imho

joran
08-23-2010, 01:45 PM
I just started this weekend too all i can say is do it!

the game is still very fun, I however suggest keeping in perspective that this is reliving something great, don't ruin it by rushing, group, explore and do dungeons and see things you never have. 50 will come quicker than you think if you spend every day making friends and working together. MY personal goal is to group as much as I can and see every zone i did not initially (played a troll warrior on tallon zek so missed some basic good guy dungeons etc). If you ever need a bard friend /tell dendris i'll be there. Welcome to the server

KNottyb0y * Gagresh (Tallon Zek) * Dendris (Project 1999)

this time around im trying to level almost exclusivly in dungeuns since i didnt spend much time in them on live... but i still get stuck LFG in oasis sometimes :/

Kevris
08-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Do it, man.

You can't camp Rubicite BP's or Manastones, but you can sure as hell enjoy the game.

azxten
08-23-2010, 02:53 PM
1-10 East Commons or Crushbone
10-20 Unrest or Oasis
20-30 Upper Guk, Unrest, Mistmoore, Sol A (25+)
30-50 LGuk, Sol B, Mistmoore

That's a rough list of where you'll pretty much always find groups/people playing on this server in those level ranges. You'll find people everywhere and sometimes even groups in obscure zones.

Aetherial
08-23-2010, 03:44 PM
1-10 East Commons or Crushbone
10-20 Unrest or Oasis
20-30 Upper Guk, Unrest, Mistmoore, Sol A (25+)
30-50 LGuk, Sol B, Mistmoore

That's a rough list of where you'll pretty much always find groups/people playing on this server in those level ranges. You'll find people everywhere and sometimes even groups in obscure zones.

SolA

One of my best times was there. It was probably the only time in EQ I was ahead of the curve. at around level 20/21 or so we grouped at the lavastorm zone line, with me pulling gobbies. It was a tough pull, through the window and up the stairs, hoping to God you don' t get lagged and fall in the lava :)

good times :)

... it also reminds me how scared I was, actually really scared, when I was in Najena for the first time. I kept whining to my group that I wanted to leave LOL!

oldhead
08-23-2010, 05:14 PM
easier to find a group 1-40 than 40-50

HippoNipple
08-23-2010, 06:33 PM
No there is no point in joining at this time, I have already dominated this server.

-31 necro

/e holds head in shame

HeallunRumblebelly
08-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Casual is the most fun you'll have in this game. L50 is fucking -horrible- in this game o_O Which is odd, because L60 at either kunark or velious is such an enjoyable experience D=

Dantes
08-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Don't do it! It's terrible. :D

guineapig
08-23-2010, 09:17 PM
There is no shortage of new players just starting out as well as veterans of the server rolling alts. Sure, you will come across many twinks in groups but that just means they will be passing up on loots.

Some of the nicer players give away free gear on a regular basis. Kunark will (tenatively) be released some time this fall and there will be a swarm of low level Iksar alts on launch day, not to mention all of the new places to level that are conducive to groups and solo players.

There are no AA's on this server so it's not like you can't catch up. I think that's the biggest draw to a classic server like this one. The level cap is 50 for at least 3 mote months and then the cap will stay at 60 for for the next 2 years (possibly for the duration of the server).

You really have all the time in the world to enjoy the game any way you want to, be it doing all the quests you skipped back in the day or joining a raiding guild (there is no shortage of them). Tradeskills are still in their infancy as well and you still have time to catch up to the curve before new recipies are released if that's your thing.

Short answer: Yes, worth signing up at this point.

Tamika
08-24-2010, 04:05 AM
As of August 23, 2010.

I am considering signing up, pretty casual player...

Will I find myself alone at this point? Even classic EQ won't be much fun all alone :)

It seems every level range is cramped with players that want to group together, all over Norrath. This has been alot of fun so far for me as a warrior, I've not found it hard being a class that cannot solo because there are simply so many people to hunt with! Come on and join the fun!