PDA

View Full Version : a charming necromancer

Afflictus
08-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Greetings,

I am having trouble finding classic info on necro charm and fear mechanics in relation to charisma.

1.For some reason, I remember necros wanted a low charisma for fear to land more reliably and last longer. dunno if that is true.

2.If charming undead, should I try for a high charisma? 100+? 150+? and I think 255 is max charisma, but I highly doubt my leprosy infected caster will hit that.

Thank you for your time,
-Leprosa
-level 19 necromancer

Reiker
08-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Low charisma is a myth, it doesn't improve fear.

I'm not a necromancer expert but I assume high charisma positively affects their charms.

XDrake
08-24-2010, 12:01 AM
Some folks have done amazing things with undead charm... I'm not one of those people. ;p However, much of our gear is anti-CHA. For me CHA is the last skill I care about... I really want INT, Mana, STA, and HP. My HP is my mana... ;p

apollyon arali
08-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Charisma effecting fear and charm is a myth....at least it was when I played a necro thru POP...

My understanding was that fear and undead charm have a timer randomly set uneffected by any player stat.

HippoNipple
08-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Yes all that matters for fear/undead charm is your lvl, and the mobs level/magic resist

Ozz
08-24-2010, 10:20 AM
According to the dev holding a panel on spells/magic at the fan faire I attended many years ago, fear is not affected in any way by cha, and undead charms are very slightly improved by HIGH cha...his response to why necros had so many neg cha items was something like, a lot of the items necros carry would freak people out if they saw a necro carrying them...harvester, hand of the reaper etc. I played a necro as my main on live and from the testing I have done, the cha affecting fear is definately a myth...although I used undead charms a lot, I never tested cha effects.

Taluvill
08-24-2010, 02:34 PM
I would speak with Shiho or athiyk about charms and cha. They are both very good necros and are very good at what they do.

I can comment on the fact that druid animal charm is highly effected by charisma. I would imagine they (verant) would have balanced it and made both Charms effected by cha.

Sidious
08-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Yes all that matters for fear/undead charm is your lvl, and the mobs level/magic resist

The above is how it worked on live, which doesn't necessarily make it so here, but I have never noticed charisma or lack thereof being a factor with necro charm on p99. The only thing CHA will do for you is make buying things from merchants insignificantly cheaper.

Uthgaard
08-24-2010, 11:35 PM
As far as live was concerned, higher charisma did help necros land screaming terror and charm, just to a much lower extent than it helps an enchanter fill the same role. Quote from a live dev:

"Is Charisma actually taken into account on mesmerizations and charms?

Yes it is. It varies on a number of spells to its actual usefulness but it does have a use. There are different levels of charisma for different classes. The system does take into account that an Enchanter should have a higher charisma than say a Necromancer. It�s unfair to expect masters of the undead to be entirely charismatic."

http://eq.crgaming.com/viewarticle.asp?Article=4451 (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=4545&page=1&howmany=50#msg104258446877978)

apollyon arali
08-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Uthgaard may have a point with that post but I really think cha items for a necro is a waste. HPs and mana are by far better choices.

The only place I can recall in eq to get good exp using charm thru POP was crypt of decay...using the uber charm spell we had..the knights were awesome killing machines.

Not sure where else pre pop was good exp using charm.

HeallunRumblebelly
08-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Search through the patch notes--necro charm here used to be charisma based (you'll see that the old necros here like scap had a +cha set :P) but was changed to be based off intellect, a more necromancer appropriate stat. As far as live I'm absolutely clueless, though.