PDA

View Full Version : How do I make this god-forsaken game fun for my GF?

sox7d
05-31-2014, 02:32 PM
We're currently iksar monk/sham leveling in FoB. I gave her 5/55 rings and a poison wind censer, my monk has 2 trance sticks, fbss, 5/55 rings and peacebringer when the cap comes off.

We're level 6-7 now and I don't think she's having much fun. When can we go to Kurn's? How do I make this game enjoyable for someone who's first MMO was WoW during wotlk? I think she's warming up to it, but I don't know how much longer she can take the FoB pit. :|

I swear the devs wanted people to hate this game within the first 8 levels.

Obito
05-31-2014, 02:38 PM
Switch accounts and let her play the monk. It's probably not fun for her to just spam inner fire over and over sitting in one place while you do all the pulling and fighting. Just my initial thought.

sox7d
05-31-2014, 02:45 PM
Switch accounts and let her play the monk. It's probably not fun for her to just spam inner fire over and over sitting in one place while you do all the pulling and fighting. Just my initial thought.

She's been smacking shit up and nuking plenty, actually, but I see what you mean. I'll try letting her pull.

jijii
05-31-2014, 03:06 PM
travel a lot. imo that's really the thing that sets eq apart from other mmos, is that traveling is dangerous, and, when you get there, you actually have to learn the area or you'll almost surely die.

in wow you just insta-port places, and it doesn't matter if you dont know the area. you're never really in any danger.

as noobs, traveling in eq is the best source of adventure and excitement.. only spend 1-3 levels in any one place and then move on!

if you lean purely on the game mechanics to generate the fun, eq will struggle to match up to modern mmos. old-timers look past that because we have nostalgia on our side -- she doesn't.

Tecmos Deception
05-31-2014, 03:16 PM
travel a lot. imo that's really the thing that sets eq apart from other mmos, is that traveling is dangerous, and, when you get there, you actually have to learn the area or you'll almost surely die.

in wow you just insta-port places, and it doesn't matter if you dont know the area. you're never really in any danger.

as noobs, traveling in eq is the best source of adventure and excitement.. only spend 1-3 levels in any one place and then move on!

if you lean purely on the game mechanics to generate the fun, eq will struggle to match up to modern mmos. old-timers look past that because we have nostalgia on our side -- she doesn't.

Yes.

Fame
05-31-2014, 03:18 PM
Roll on red, we'll kill you and then prob steal your gurl. She'll like it.

Clark
05-31-2014, 03:26 PM
The golden answer is smoking dank nugs. It makes everything better.

Swish
05-31-2014, 03:37 PM
Kurn's at 10.

Tour different areas of the pit if it comes to it til then.

- Newbie ramp.
- Moving more towards the dragon skeleton.
- Outside Kaesora ruins.
(etc)

HeallunRumblebelly
05-31-2014, 03:55 PM
Seriously, go visit monuments. Go show things that are of insane scale (like the giant fort in WW--it's close!). Go to the basement of kurns and show the good design. Meander over to the tangrin and then run like hell as he mows you down :P Step inside Kaesora then back out fast, vowing to go back and take revenge~

Swish
05-31-2014, 04:16 PM
Seriously, go visit monuments....

words fail me Heallun :(

Softcore PK
05-31-2014, 04:37 PM
You're playing on the wrong server. Women need pvp or they get bored.

HeallunRumblebelly
05-31-2014, 04:40 PM
words fail me Heallun :(

What's up swish?

Tecmos Deception
05-31-2014, 04:42 PM
What's up swish?

I think he was overcome with joy at your advice to tour the great sights of Norrath :)

Erydan Ouragan
05-31-2014, 05:02 PM
Heallun's suggestion is good.

For me though, the real fun in EQ comes from the relationships. In the 12 years i've been playing online computer games, EQ comes out on top everytime. Not because of the gameplay itself, but because of the extremely lasting and powerful relationship you forge with the people you meet in the game.

An EQ bro (or sis) is like having a bro in prison or in the army. They have your back and you have theirs no matter what. In any other game you'll get matched with a group of strangers, clear the instance and never see them again.

So my advice is to socialize and meet new people. When you meet some really cool and funny people that dick around and joke in group chat, time will fly by and she'll have a good time. If you do it right, one day she will log on and say something like "I hope Grimblod and Sazzerx are online tonight they were so funny the other night in X zone!".

And when that happens, the game will start to be fun for your GF.

Swish
05-31-2014, 06:41 PM
I'd agree with that, except the loot hoarders and people who only type to tell you about their recreational drug habits :D

Clark
05-31-2014, 08:30 PM
Heallun's suggestion is good.

For me though, the real fun in EQ comes from the relationships. In the 12 years i've been playing online computer games, EQ comes out on top everytime. Not because of the gameplay itself, but because of the extremely lasting and powerful relationship you forge with the people you meet in the game.

An EQ bro (or sis) is like having a bro in prison or in the army. They have your back and you have theirs no matter what. In any other game you'll get matched with a group of strangers, clear the instance and never see them again.

So my advice is to socialize and meet new people. When you meet some really cool and funny people that dick around and joke in group chat, time will fly by and she'll have a good time. If you do it right, one day she will log on and say something like "I hope Grimblod and Sazzerx are online tonight they were so funny the other night in X zone!".

And when that happens, the game will start to be fun for your GF.

Ahldagor
05-31-2014, 08:33 PM
you don't. take eq to be your personal time away from her that allows you to reflect upon your relationship passively. if you intermingle her into every fabric of your life then you'll soon tire of each other and slowly nurture a hatred that can only be calmed by an argument and make up sex. then after years of this cycle apathy will set in leading to a divorce of sorts and custody battles over everything because she is a possessive type trying to control you.

Aegrit
05-31-2014, 08:42 PM
you don't. take eq to be your personal time away from her that allows you to reflect upon your relationship passively. if you intermingle her into every fabric of your life then you'll soon tire of each other and slowly nurture a hatred that can only be calmed by an argument and make up sex. then after years of this cycle apathy will set in leading to a divorce of sorts and custody battles over everything because she is a possessive type trying to control you.

Worst case scenario, the ex gets Project 1999 in the divorce. Game over.

Lojik
05-31-2014, 09:14 PM
Not sure what is funnier, asking what will make everquest less boring (let's face it it's pretty boring for a pc game in 2014) or people coming on here saying red is the spice it needs.

Lune
05-31-2014, 09:31 PM
Get her wrapped up in the drama. Show her RNF and tell her about Harrison. Bitches love that shit

Corbin
05-31-2014, 09:48 PM
We just did this.

Pit got too boring for us too. We came into Kurns when I (monk) hit 8 and she (shammy) was 7. I had a jade mace mh and empty oh. I was wearing the newbie curscale armor. She had some Rhino Hide mixed with badger armor and her newbie weapon. We could kill an occasional greater with some risk. Did fine hunting scalebones for a couple levels.

We moved downstairs around 16 and camped her Iksar Berserker Club. Went kos to badegers ... think I saw faction hits on the Thickboned PH for the Jester.

We're in the tunnels now below Kurns and it seems like good xp to us. Typing this while my wife is medding. CR can be a drag. We'll stay until stuff go's light blue I think.

I've never played a monk before. My wife was a shammy 10 years ago on live.

Shaman are busy. Lots of supporting other characters who do stuff. Buffing them, weakening the mobs they fight, healing them. Once she gets canni she will be even busier. When my wife raided the tells never stopped and our guild was very rich in shammage. This supportive and hard working play style suit's my wife, but, I'd probably find it onerous.

I did roll a shammy here and recently finished running him through Kurns. I started my ogre there at 11. He only soloed till 19 and left, but, got lucky with a wand which is why the monk has one jade mace. Shamans are very neat and I'm nostalgic for them, despite having only occasionally boxed my wife's character in late night groups after she became too tired. I'm not sure I'd enjoy their role full time in groups and raids though.

Some caster oriented duos might be more fun for her. We have a low level chanter/druid combo which seems powerful and fun. We're old and slow moving tank and spank types from way back though.

Honest
05-31-2014, 09:54 PM
Umm are you guys drinking while your playing? Bullshitting in vent with other people and guildies? Makes it a lot more fun.

freez
05-31-2014, 10:06 PM
http://cannabisdestiny.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/tumblr_mk8nu7wzwZ1qla0pio1_500.gif

try that

Darknei
05-31-2014, 10:55 PM
Roleplay!

Mac Drettj
05-31-2014, 11:55 PM
The golden answer is smoking dank nugs. It makes everything better.

u must be a wise buddhist

Obrae
06-01-2014, 01:31 AM
We're currently iksar monk/sham leveling in FoB. I gave her 5/55 rings and a poison wind censer, my monk has 2 trance sticks, fbss, 5/55 rings and peacebringer when the cap comes off.

We're level 6-7 now and I don't think she's having much fun. When can we go to Kurn's? How do I make this game enjoyable for someone who's first MMO was WoW during wotlk? I think she's warming up to it, but I don't know how much longer she can take the FoB pit. :|

I swear the devs wanted people to hate this game within the first 8 levels.

group with people, have alot of social interaction try to match leveling speed to the people around you. What made EQ so great was the need to cooperate and interact with others. Make sure you guys are meeting cool people. Pleveling or leveling faster only becomes fun once you have establish your place in this world. Cause there really isnt much special about hitting auto attack and waiting tons of time for mobs to die.

Erydan Ouragan
06-01-2014, 06:42 PM
I'd agree with that, except the loot hoarders and people who only type to tell you about their recreational drug habits :D

Those people are necessary, imo.

Loot hoarders and other general assholes that you meet make it that once you find someone really nice and get along with them, you notice it even more.

It is after it's been raining for 2 weeks straight that you notice how nice the sun feels on your skin.

You have to sift through a ton of rocks to find a diamond.

And other various pseudo-philosophical catchphrases.

Ikonoclastia
06-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Play EQ, ditch all the twink stuff. Nothing creates bonds like running screaming from a couple of decaying skellies half naked imo. Just make sure you let her loot and don't tell her about being encumbered... that way you won't die so much.

Rellapse40
06-01-2014, 07:27 PM
weld a dildo to her computer chair

jarshale
06-01-2014, 07:54 PM
weld a dildo to her computer chair

This. Even better if you can rig it to vibrate a bit every time you guys kill something.

fishingme
06-01-2014, 10:28 PM
group and dungeon crawl.

Zapatos
06-01-2014, 10:57 PM
Here, in answering this post, I'll allow my own girlfriend to respond:

To qualm any doubt in your minds, this is not Bandito pretending to be his own girlfriend. I actually exist, and am actually a female.

With that out of the way, I'd like to discuss the notion of forcing the game on your girlfriend: in short, don't do it. Have you ever been asked to try a food before that completely disgusts you? The more someone suggests and persuades you to try it, the more you're likely to tell them to fuck off. The same goes for a game. You can't tell her HOW to play it; you can't even suggest that she plays it in a similar fashion to you. Either she'll find aspects of the game that appeal to her personality/ interests, and develop those with your guidance, or she'll try it out and find that no part of it, at all, is for her. And that's okay!

Personally, I've found ways to integrate myself into Bandito's gameplay in fashions that appeal to my quirks: I frequently steal his chat window away from him and type creepy messages to his friends, I play hide and seek with him in Greater Faydark, and I narrate the best fucking tutorial videos you'll find on this side of the universe. I also stalk Ektar, but he's yet to become aware of that.

In conclusion, there's many types of "fun" in this community; allow her to discover her own niche! And if all else fails, you may wanna try welding a dildo to her chair.

Ikonoclastia
06-01-2014, 10:57 PM
This. Even better if you can rig it to vibrate a bit every time you guys kill something.
Lol. Positive reinforcement.

backman_66
06-02-2014, 12:18 PM
I would suggest going to some prettier zones instead of disgusting FoB and Kurns. That is one of my least favorite newbie areas in terms of atmosphere. If you're just starting the game, that's gonna leave a bad impression. I would say try to go to places like Oasis, Karanas some, Mistmoore, Lake of Ill Omen, places with a bit more to look at.

Fame
06-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Still stand my my idea

Jorgam
06-03-2014, 01:28 AM
Lol. Just dropping in to say, Lojik, your sig is fucking hilarious!

Pyrocat
06-03-2014, 03:13 AM
Do you have any high level characters you can let her play? A lot of the complexity and fun of the game doesn't become obvious until your character really has some levels and access to the higher level strategies. For example... playing a necro in a group and pact-of-shadow healing 2 party members while you use jboots to insta refresh the spell bar so you can cast cancel magic faster on the health drain effect of pact-of-shadow, keeping your first buff slot open so the previous strategy can even work, lifetap-dotting to keep yourself full while lich slowly drains your health, pet controlling with multiple mobs in camp, all the while crowd controlling with root and screaming terror and figuring out the most efficient way to add dps, and if it's worth a spell slot for your undead nuke when only 30% of the mobs being pulled are undead, not to mention keeping your barely-light-blue undead mob charmed and hasted for max DPS .etc

It's a lot more fun than autoattacking skeletons in field of bone, but most people will get bored in the first 10 levels and never realize what they're missing. I've run into similar problems trying to get my friends into this game in the past and I think my main mistake is never getting them to play a high level character.

backman_66
06-03-2014, 10:20 AM
The lower levels are pretty terribly boring below lvl 15-20~ unless I'm in Oasis. Then it's bearable :P