PDA

View Full Version : How long till p99 makes a permadeath server?

iruinedyourday
06-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Cus that shit would be amazing. I heard a joke about it in here http://www.twitch.tv/sirkenp99/c/3173548

but damn, really that server would be so fucking awesome.

Vile
06-13-2014, 04:41 PM
with or w/ out pvp :)

mortal quest (pvp) was awesome...

zanderklocke
06-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Cus that shit would be amazing. I heard a joke about it in here http://www.twitch.tv/sirkenp99/c/3173548

but damn, really that server would be so fucking awesome.

Rangers all die first because they're forced into taking raid death touches.

Leeyuuduu
06-13-2014, 04:45 PM
Ever played the Discord server back in the day? PvP+Permadeath EQ server, hosted by SoE, which means shit is classic.

It would make a nice event. Have a temporary server for maybe a month or two with permadeath/PvP over the holidays, watch RnF explode, etc. Maybe give some rewards/PP to the mains of whoever stays alive the longest (kind of like Path of Exile race events).

iruinedyourday
06-13-2014, 04:46 PM
with or w/ out pvp :)

mortal quest (pvp) was awesome...

I can imagine it would be easy enough for a single person to just ruin someones week of hard work with trains, so PVP would be even worse haha

My imaginary Permadeath server would be:

1. shared bank between all characters on your account
2. immediate corpse rot on death
3. Permadeath begins at level 6
4. character re-spawns at bind with no loot and level 6 with no xp
5. non pvp becuse its going to be a holy hell of a awful experience with permadeath alone.

ugh, I feel like it would be super fun to just play this nightmare...

iruinedyourday
06-13-2014, 04:48 PM
Rangers all die first because they're forced into taking raid death touches.

Also Zander you can see your pretty red corpse at about 40 something mins into that stream :D

Swish
06-13-2014, 04:52 PM
If ever there was a use for the beta server after the beta... would be fun. Maybe give it X time and call a winner after a month or something :p

iruinedyourday
06-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Ever played the Discord server back in the day? PvP+Permadeath EQ server, hosted by SoE, which means shit is classic.

It would make a nice event. Have a temporary server for maybe a month or two with permadeath/PvP over the holidays, watch RnF explode, etc. Maybe give some rewards/PP to the mains of whoever stays alive the longest (kind of like Path of Exile race events).

If ever there was a use for the beta server after the beta... would be fun. Maybe give it X time and call a winner after a month or something :p

+1 love

iruinedyourday
06-13-2014, 04:57 PM
My first thought is a prediction it would be a server full of druids :P

There should be class rewards so it encourages people to play a class that would have higher risk of death or something.

http://chquotes.synthasite.com/resources/ch870113.gif

Swish
06-13-2014, 04:58 PM
Bards would do very well in the right hands :p

iruinedyourday
06-13-2014, 05:04 PM
one of the worst events this server ever saw

What the stream?

Maybe u didnt like it but it makes for a hilarious 1 and a half hours of stream :)

now, BACK TO PERMADEATH DISCUSSION :D

I want my pony :*)

Millburn
06-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Perfect Permadeath ruleset for me

Milestone Levels where you reset to when you die every 10 or so. Have them STOP at 54 so getting to 55+ is still a huge accomplishment.

Gear is lost on death except for what you have banked.

No PvP

That's it. It would be amazing.

Champion_Standing
06-13-2014, 05:19 PM
This would be a lot of fun. People would take every camp seriously and the immersion levels would be off the fucking charts.

Adolphus
06-13-2014, 08:48 PM
Perfect Permadeath ruleset for me

Milestone Levels where you reset to when you die every 10 or so. Have them STOP at 54 so getting to 55+ is still a huge accomplishment.

Gear is lost on death except for what you have banked.

No PvP

That's it. It would be amazing.

While obviously not permadeath (perma = permanent) this idea is amazing to me as well. Would definitely like to play with a bit more risk/reward in PVE such as what you suggested.

Not sure about the gear thing though. People wouldn't even wear their good gear they'd be so afraid of losing it. A big death penalty would be nice though, the "milestone" system like you said.

Really make PVE exciting. . . can you imagine what a raid wipe would do to a guild? Take everyone down 5 or 10 levels.. pretty nice incentive to play well.

zanderklocke
06-13-2014, 08:57 PM
one of the worst events this server ever saw

At least they tried. I don't think they anticipated the desyncs, and aside from that, it was pretty fun.

The events where everyone races somewhere are usually unfair to some players and trivia is a troll spam fest.

iruinedyourday
06-13-2014, 09:02 PM
While obviously not permadeath (perma = permanent) this idea is amazing to me as well. Would definitely like to play with a bit more risk/reward in PVE such as what you suggested.

Not sure about the gear thing though. People wouldn't even wear their good gear they'd be so afraid of losing it. A big death penalty would be nice though, the "milestone" system like you said.

Really make PVE exciting. . . can you imagine what a raid wipe would do to a guild? Take everyone down 5 or 10 levels.. pretty nice incentive to play well.

Heh i guess what im after with the gear loss, is people using bronze armor and considering it top tear...

like ultra ultra ultra ultra hard mode hehe

That said, i would like to try anything one day :)

Go big or go home.. the community would be so small XD

Adolphus
06-13-2014, 10:01 PM
Heh i guess what im after with the gear loss, is people using bronze armor and considering it top tear...

like ultra ultra ultra ultra hard mode hehe

That said, i would like to try anything one day :)

Go big or go home.. the community would be so small XD

I like where you're going with it, though having guaranteed gear loss on death would make camping nice things virtually pointless. I think a better idea might be to make corpse rots very fast, like 10-30 minutes. Bound too far away? Lose gear. Die deep inside a dungeon with no way to get body quickly? Lose gear. Die in a raid and the mobs repop before people can recover bodies? Lose gear.

Would make both dangerous camps and corpse recovery a very serious business. Necro's, Monks, Rogues and Mages (CoH) would be far more valuable for CR. Paladins way more common, too, because of LoH. Enchanter's would be auto-nerfed without changing any mechanics, due to being too scared to solo for fear of dying and poor CR. Gear would be way more valuable and less common. Players would have to consider every move they make.

I could go on forever with this fantasy though . . . and it's pointless, because there's a 0.01% chance it will ever happen that we'll get a server like this. ;)

Xer0
06-13-2014, 10:25 PM
This would be a lot of fun. People would take every camp seriously and the immersion levels would be off the fucking charts.

lol immersion

0.01% chance it will ever happen that we'll get a server like this. ;)

Being pretty generous aren't you?

Clark
06-13-2014, 10:47 PM
Wtb permadeath server.

nalkin
06-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Secrets had a permadeath server. It was awesome.

a_gnoll_pup
06-13-2014, 11:20 PM
Secrets had a permadeath server. It was awesome.

It's a nice idea in theory but my server was kind of lawless. What ended up happening is everyone being permacamped the moment they logged in.

If kept to a relatively small level cap (20 or so) with restricted zones to Classic, that would be a kind of interesting server set up, no doubt about it. The main thing that I personally hated about permadeath looking back on it was just the lack of level ranges.

If the EXP bonus was increased by 20 times the amount P99 actually has on blue, I think it would be an interesting experiment especially now that P99 is a lot more polished than any PEQ DB was back when I was running MortalQuest.

Vile
06-13-2014, 11:39 PM
do it!

iruinedyourday
06-14-2014, 02:11 AM
oh man I didnt even think of an XP bonus..

like what if it took you like 3-4 days of grind to get to 50 but when you died, you lost corpse/xp but kept bank.

man that would be so fun.

like its enough of an effort to not want to die but not so much that its not worth camping rare items.

damn that would be so rad.

then 51-60 could be like regular XP

so there is a dangerous grind at the top

agh if only some one could grant wishes!

what are all those green servers on the server launcher just random private servers?

Brut
06-14-2014, 07:46 AM
It's a nice idea in theory but my server was kind of lawless. What ended up happening is everyone being permacamped the moment they logged in.

If kept to a relatively small level cap (20 or so) with restricted zones to Classic, that would be a kind of interesting server set up, no doubt about it. The main thing that I personally hated about permadeath looking back on it was just the lack of level ranges.

If the EXP bonus was increased by 20 times the amount P99 actually has on blue, I think it would be an interesting experiment especially now that P99 is a lot more polished than any PEQ DB was back when I was running MortalQuest.

With the 20ppl population it quickly turned into one full group of vztzers chasing down all the rest of the server that were soloing. It also had Kunark + Velious open from get go, and as said the usual PEQ DB AC-means-nothing-mobs-bash-and-kick-every-round-melees-suck-ass-and-die -problems and methinks casters getting all their new spells when they zone gave them a pretty massive advantage.

Permadeath classic pvp server with p99 code would be cool, but doubt it'd live for long. Same reason as people refused to try out red99 beta - the idea of eventually losing their banded armors is horrifying.

Champion_Standing
06-14-2014, 08:12 AM
Exp bonus and banks that don't wipe would just trivialize the permadeath aspect. Server doesn't even exist and you guys are already begging for the most ez mode permadeath ever.

Clark
06-14-2014, 09:02 AM
With the 20ppl population it quickly turned into one full group of vztzers chasing down all the rest of the server that were soloing. It also had Kunark + Velious open from get go, and as said the usual PEQ DB AC-means-nothing-mobs-bash-and-kick-every-round-melees-suck-ass-and-die -problems and methinks casters getting all their new spells when they zone gave them a pretty massive advantage.

Permadeath classic pvp server with p99 code would be cool, but doubt it'd live for long. Same reason as people refused to try out red99 beta - the idea of eventually losing their banded armors is horrifying.

:D

myriverse
06-14-2014, 10:07 AM
Discord started well after Luclin. Not classic.

nalkin
06-14-2014, 12:31 PM
oh man I didnt even think of an XP bonus..

like what if it took you like 3-4 days of grind to get to 50 but when you died, you lost corpse/xp but kept bank.

man that would be so fun.

like its enough of an effort to not want to die but not so much that its not worth camping rare items.

damn that would be so rad.

then 51-60 could be like regular XP

so there is a dangerous grind at the top

agh if only some one could grant wishes!

what are all those green servers on the server launcher just random private servers?

That's what secrets server was like, minus the slow grind 51-60. Though, it still seemed to slow down a lot due to being more cautious and since it takes so much longer comparatively.

It was so fun to play on that server. You had to be cautious with everything, people and camps. That combined with zipping through all the camps/levels kept the grind much more interesting. And, if you did die it wasn't the end of the world because of how fast the XP was.

Granted, it did have problems like Secrets said, but still awesome. Ive always wished that server would come back or maybe secrets will make a new one thats even better :cool:?

webrunner5
06-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Only way it would kind of work for long is to have it sort of like the Test server used to be on live. You started off at level 50 with all your gear, not too bad of stuff, spells, and all your skills at 50 maxed etc.

If I had to start off with a melee skill of 20 on a Warrior 50 times a week forget that. Not being able to hit a bull in the ass would get old quick. So I guess what I am saying if it is not in someway fun it gets old pretty fast.

myriverse
06-14-2014, 02:45 PM
Can barely have two servers. You want another one?

Clark
06-14-2014, 05:40 PM
True, they're planning to merge 1 pvp server into the other eventually after teams gets put in.

Na dude that would make teams99 tainted and shitty as shit.

Adolphus
06-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Anyone even know when/if teams99 is planned to be implemented if at all? I'd really look forward to this as it would be far more challenging than Blue but not quite as cutthroat as Red.

iruinedyourday
06-16-2014, 01:39 PM
OK so last night I was on my new favorite enchanter, in Oot killing sisters. Everything was fine all night and I was being pretty careful, see permadeath is totally not a threat.

Then out of nowhere one of those moments happened where you loose control of everything. I put my mind into over drive, rooted/mezed, reorged... got things back in control. Both the sisters were at 5% I was at 5% we were all at 5%.. both rooted, thigns looking good, start to cast sanity warp to end this and literately right when the spell went off, root broke. I was so encumbered/low hp I didnt have time to walk far enough way to put any real distance between me and the sisters before I cast. Bam. Dead. I was loling hard but also thinking fuuuug if this was perma death server I'd be sooo bummed! So.... maybe it's not a good idea after all?

fuck that, its a great idea. Permadeath for life!

pps... does anyone have a rezzer camped in Oot that can help a non permadead chanter out? :)

Clark
06-16-2014, 01:53 PM

myriverse
06-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Would lose interest very quickly, so immersion would be even more irrelevant than it already is.

iruinedyourday
06-16-2014, 09:37 PM
so... about that rez? ;)

*edit* Skage to the rescue!

radda
06-17-2014, 02:33 AM
may i suugest, a 3 month server.
if anyone has played Utopia, the game resets every 3 months. we are currently on age 62. so just have it like that.
compete in a 3 month time to beat what the expansions have to offer the reset. sure as hell wouldnt have casuals or campers who camp to sell.
put pvp in there too. id play this over and over.

nalkin
06-17-2014, 09:03 PM
may i suugest, a 3 month server.
if anyone has played Utopia, the game resets every 3 months. we are currently on age 62. so just have it like that.
compete in a 3 month time to beat what the expansions have to offer the reset. sure as hell wouldnt have casuals or campers who camp to sell.
put pvp in there too. id play this over and over.

Yeah I agree. I think that would be perfect. Everquest gets so bad when you let it sit. I actually think the perfect server would be some sort of pvp (not necessarily perma) with huge XP bonus that resets fairly often.

Starting from nothing and the race are the best parts, thats why everyone loves playing a new server.

fastboy21
06-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Yeah I agree. I think that would be perfect. Everquest gets so bad when you let it sit. I actually think the perfect server would be some sort of pvp (not necessarily perma) with huge XP bonus that resets fairly often.

Starting from nothing and the race are the best parts, thats why everyone loves playing a new server.

the exact rule set aside (legit classic pve, pvp, teams, exp bonus, etc.)

i think most of us would agree that at some point EQ gets stale, and you hit a tipping point when starting over with nothing is more fun then continuing to play on in a static state. the exact timing of that cycle, however, is going to be vastly different for us...there are some, like myself, that would say 4 years on a classic timeline is perfect. after about that long for me its hit the reset button and lets ride the ride again. :D

for some folks its going to be much shorter or longer...and for some maybe never.

i think this is one of the reasons why SOE has never pulled the trigger on a classic server. they operate on the assumption that a "successful server" means it will last indefinitely---prolonged into the future by pumping out new content for players to experience.

It doesn't have to be that way though. there is another mmo model that nobody has really tapped into yet: they haven't realized that hitting the reset button on a server isn't a failure, but its a way of keeping the majority of their players excited about replaying the game. the "community" could survive---even thrive---through multiple server resets.

its a paradigm that departs from the traditional server world model of mmos, but its one that i hope catches on in the future.

Alanus
06-17-2014, 09:51 PM
I think a permadeath server would kill the population. People would end up frustrated and quit.

It'd be fun for a short while, but would get old fast.

Valdarious
06-18-2014, 07:54 AM
It doesn't have to be that way though. there is another mmo model that nobody has really tapped into yet: they haven't realized that hitting the reset button on a server isn't a failure, but its a way of keeping the majority of their players excited about replaying the game. the "community" could survive---even thrive---through multiple server resets.

I see what you are getting at and there are people that level at different speeds. I personally would rather just create a new character than have everything wiped though.
I do like the idea that SOE was trying things out with separate servers for these choices though.
How often would they wipe the test servers? I never tried those and heard they did wipes from time to time.

murrpau
06-18-2014, 07:56 AM
another suggestion:
Perma-death means perma-death. when you die, your character gets deleted and you're kicked back to character selection (with a newly-opened slot)

Monk: "brb pulling"
Monk has fallen to the ground
Monk: "TTRAINwwwwwsssassssssdddd"
(suddenly, the group only has 5 people in it. /tells to the monk go unanswered)