PDA

View Full Version : Any regular groups looking for another regular member? (Low to mid 20s))

DJrmb
06-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Hey all,

Just getting back into things and I am looking for a group to join or start of people that will commit to grouping and leveling together on a regular basis. Maybe a few planned out nights per week. I role a 22 SK or I also have a 24 Shaman if he's better for the group.

I used to be in a group on Vanguard that met every Friday Evening for a few hours of exploration and leveling. We would plan out what/where we were going to explore or a quest to finish and meet up and do it.

Here there would likely be more EXP grinding and less exploration as Vanguard is just a different beast in that sense, but there are still some interesting area's etc we could hit from time to time to break up the monotony.

I'd love to either find a nearly full group to find that meets up on regular planned times, or to hear from people that would be interested and start one up if we can get enough people.

Thanks all!

Oreus

Itching
06-28-2014, 02:09 PM
How was Vanguard? I only played it at launch.. and we all know how that went.

iruinedyourday
06-28-2014, 02:40 PM
A good place to find friends is mist moor at that level.. Also sola.

Everytime I level a character I have long lasting relationships with the people I ground with there.

DJrmb
06-28-2014, 09:10 PM
How was Vanguard? I only played it at launch.. and we all know how that went.

Vangaurd was it's own beautiful mess. It had so many issues in the beginning which slowly got worked out over the life of the game, although never to 100% perfection. It's still the closest of any game to the feel of Classic Everquest. It was one of the greatest games to never get discovered and I will miss it.

Itching
06-28-2014, 09:36 PM
Did they shut it down? I thought it became free to play or something like that?

DJrmb
06-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Yeah, it's shutting down July 31st. There just isn't enough population to keep it going and to justify Dev's continuing to work on it.

Itching
06-28-2014, 09:48 PM
So that's another thing SOE is killing off. So far EQOA, EQMAC and now Vanguard? Well damn, wonder if that is ever going to get an EMU scene also.

DJrmb
06-28-2014, 09:55 PM
Yeah, they are consolidating a bit I think to focus on EQ Next. I have not been too impressed with that so far though. They have some great ideas with the games AI but I'm scared they are going to live on that too much and the rest of the game will be lacking...

As for Vanguard, there is a guy asking people that are still playing the game to download and run his tool in the background to collect data. He plans to open up and emulated version of the game shortly after it's shut down. It seems a bit far fetched, unless he can find some way to get some of the real code from SOE as the game was just so massive and different from MMO's of it's time. We'll see, if he can get enough data collected and then get a leak or two from someone at SOE that doesn't want to see Vanguard disappear completely, he may have a chance.

Itching
06-28-2014, 10:19 PM
I wonder if they have enough of the server code to continue. That game must have had a massive database with all the diplomacy, quests, open world.

Seuche
06-29-2014, 02:34 PM
I played VG at release too. Then I returned in 2012. Comparing to modern games like Age of Conan it becomes a solid game which I enjoyed with a stable group for one year. I can't judge on high level or raid content. To bad to see it disappear now.

What I really loved was the Bard who could compose songs - a bundle of varios components like chorus, melody and stuff.

Glenzig
06-29-2014, 04:19 PM
I played VG at release too. Then I returned in 2012. Comparing to modern games like Age of Conan it becomes a solid game which I enjoyed with a stable group for one year. I can't judge on high level or raid content. To bad to see it disappear now.

What I really loved was the Bard who could compose songs - a bundle of varios components like chorus, melody and stuff.

While I didn't raid all of the top tier mobs in VG, I did do quite a bit of raiding. The overland encounters where pretty well thought out with some nice mechanics during the fight that could really throw you off. The best raiding experience in VG by far though was the gigantic dungeon called Ancient Port Warehouse. By the time I came back and got up to being raid ready it was pretty much out of date, but it was still run weekly by the guild I was in, just because it was that fun.