PDA

View Full Version : What is the solo camp potential of a 60 shaman without puppet strings?

Isic
07-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Is Efreeti possible? HS north, etc? Seb crypt? I'm looking for real experience and not theory craft. Are there camps that a shaman can solo that an enchanter can't? Again, no puppet strings.

I will have a 60 shaman soon and looking for suggestions on good camps.

Tecmos, what's your input?

-Isic

Daldaen
07-16-2014, 04:37 PM
Efreeti definitely possible.
Crypt definitely possible.

HS unsure, lots of that involves breaking rooms of 3-5 mobs and with PE not being god mode root anymore, that'd be rough without allure.

This assumes you have Torpor. If you don't, then a lot of stuff becomes undoable.

Pint
07-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Strings are only required if you want to try and solo something specific like a fungi king or crypt emp, for grinding phs and named mobs at random cash camps they aren't used.

Argh
07-16-2014, 06:05 PM
Hiero too

Swish
07-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Seen shammies do the HS entrance before, never seen it from the first break though.

pasi
07-16-2014, 06:21 PM
I wouldn't recommend HS South or East to a shaman after the nerf to Invis Pulling. West/North are not worth it for the money involved.

Crypt/Hiero is doable and is very good money.

NG is doable pre-60. Easy money with low difficulty and attention required.

Efreeti is doable. The spawns do aggro through the floor though, so CR can't be as easily accomplished via the lava tunnel.

Spawns like King Tranix are doable cash farms.

Kekephee
07-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Epic and torpor are huge factors in this equation. What's your epic/torpor status?

Isic
07-16-2014, 07:13 PM
Epic but no torpor yet. For the sake of this conversation let's assume epic and torpor.

Tecmos Deception
07-16-2014, 08:14 PM
I'm looking for real experience and not theory craft

Tecmos, what's your input?

I've never played a shaman above 51!

But yeah, HS south or super-buff mobs like emperor/king/etc would be out of the question, but stuff like freeti and crypt and HS east (if you know where to be and how to pull!) and DS/dartain/etc are all doable for an epic+torpor sham without strings. Some more doable than others, but all realistic. No personal experience, but I know shamans who have done all of this stuff. HS north would be doable probably, but it wouldn't be worth the risk (stuff is only like 45 but with roots breaking now and a few hallway pathers and rooms of 3-6 mobs, it could get ugly in a hurry).

TrendyDru
07-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Assuming you have your epic and no Torpor:
HS entrance, North, and West all doable. West is pretty sketchy.
Efreeti is hard. Can 4rot the trash out front of his room no problem, but getting efreeti spawned and killing him without adds spawning or living if they do spawn is the tricky part. Not impossible, but need to make little to no mistakes and have RNG on your side.

With torpor:
Everything probably.

Rhambuk
07-16-2014, 08:59 PM
I don't know I im more disturbed by your sig or your avatar...

Scoresby
07-16-2014, 09:07 PM
Here are the camps that aren't too terrible as a 60 shaman with Torpor and no strings...

King/Tact/Frenzy in Lower Guk
Efreeti/Tranix/Skarlon
HS North/West
AD/HP in Seb Crypt (will need decent MR for HP)
Disco/NG in Seb (need decent resists to break Disco)
Cliff Golems (lottery ticket here...10% drop rate on spells and take 15 mins to kill)
Droga cash camps

Probably a few I'm missing, but there are a good many options. There are also other camps that can be done but are much more dangerous.

-Stinkie

Teppler
07-16-2014, 09:36 PM
I've spent a lot of time in hs north, shaman camping there is very very rare. Most I've seen them hold down is 1 spawn room. With how long root rotting takes and respawn times, you wouldn't be able to hold down all 3 rooms. Plus there's casters and now you gotta worry about root breaking. It was an already tough spot for a shaman and became tougher recently.

Destron
07-16-2014, 11:11 PM
How does Fungi factor into the solo power?

Tecmos Deception
07-16-2014, 11:14 PM
Assuming you have your epic and no Torpor:
HS entrance, North, and West all doable. West is pretty sketchy.
Efreeti is hard. Can 4rot the trash out front of his room no problem, but getting efreeti spawned and killing him without adds spawning or living if they do spawn is the tricky part. Not impossible, but need to make little to no mistakes and have RNG on your side.

With torpor:
Everything probably.

I'd like to see a shaman without torpor doing HS west... and we're not talking about just killing a few hallway mobs. Would also like to see a shaman with torpor do HS south!

A fungi tunic is significant for a shaman, although for MOST of the stuff a shaman can solo right now, once you have torpor a tunic isn't going to be a big deal.

Isic
07-18-2014, 09:59 AM
King Tranix is a good point. Any others?

Loke
07-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Pre torpor I don't think efreeti is possible. Even if you cleared up, you've got to deal with him and 2 adds. I'm going to ignore the possibility of FD splitting them since that ring doesn't have enough charges to make it a viable long term strategy. So best case scenario is efreeti + 2. Even without the 2 adds, efreeti's dmg output can be ridiculous and his MR is very high. You'd need to get him slowed and interrupt a vast majority of his spells to have any hope of Sup Heal being enough. Root and sitting out of LoS while dotting him down would work, but with his MR I don't think any strategy involving root is reliable. Basically you'd need to have so many things go right to even have a chance of killing him that I think the potential for pre-torpor efreeti soloing is essentially non-existent.

The only thing I could think of would be if you could get a slow landed on him, and have a pet out and push in the same direction as the pet, coupled with slam if you're a large race. If you can interrupt him he turns into a huge pansy, but getting consistent interrupts solo would be kind of sketchy.

I'm a pretty mediocre shaman, but I don't see how it would be possible without torpor.

Orruar
07-18-2014, 04:22 PM
Without torpor you are extremely limited.

With torpor you can do whatever really. Even post root-nerf, I've held down 2 HS south named spawns without much trouble. In seb, emp is very difficult without strings, but the rest of upper seb is at your whim.

Orruar
07-18-2014, 04:23 PM
How does Fungi factor into the solo power?

My tunic is currently on an alt and I barely notice. This is post torpor of course. Pre torpor fungi is very important.

Byrjun
07-18-2014, 06:11 PM
Fungi regen is very noticeable, even if you have Torpor. Dunno how you can "barely notice" it.

fahlen
07-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Once you get Torpor you're better off not wearing one so you can farm them [:

Tecmos Deception
07-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Even post root-nerf, I've held down 2 HS south named spawns without much trouble.

For real? Kill casters and HTers until you pop safer mobs, root adds and kill named then camp off adds then move to the other camp and repeat? I always assumed it'd be a bit much to break a random pop at a camp in south as a shaman without strings to help... though I can see how it'd be much less trouble if you had a camp of level 49-50 biles and wurms + 1 named to deal with than when it's popped with level 52 necros and HTers.

webrunner5
07-18-2014, 11:49 PM
I've spent a lot of time in hs north, shaman camping there is very very rare. Most I've seen them hold down is 1 spawn room. With how long root rotting takes and respawn times, you wouldn't be able to hold down all 3 rooms. Plus there's casters and now you gotta worry about root breaking. It was an already tough spot for a shaman and became tougher recently.

Shamans can do some crazy things at times, but no way you are doing HS North solo. And You had better be a Ogre Shaman at that to even try. :eek: Every patch lately has just made some things harder and harder. Man if one of your roots break you are toast compared to a Chanter being able to mezz. They can charm a lot higher DPS mob than your dog can do by far. I know Shamans can take on 2 or 3 mobs in KC or Seb and with some luck with Torpar and the Epic make it happen, but clearing out a whole room full of mobs just is not what they are cut out for. They are good toe to toe with one mob IF you are a Ogre, even in Velious. I think you are trying to do something that is not going to have a good outcome. :D

Daldaen
07-19-2014, 02:36 AM
Shamans can do some crazy things at times, but no way you are doing HS North solo. And You had better be a Ogre Shaman at that to even try. :eek: Every patch lately has just made some things harder and harder. Man if one of your roots break you are toast compared to a Chanter being able to mezz. They can charm a lot higher DPS mob than your dog can do by far. I know Shamans can take on 2 or 3 mobs in KC or Seb and with some luck with Torpar and the Epic make it happen, but clearing out a whole room full of mobs just is not what they are cut out for. They are good toe to toe with one mob IF you are a Ogre, even in Velious. I think you are trying to do something that is not going to have a good outcome. :D

You seem to think Ogre is way better than it actually is.

Clark
07-19-2014, 03:11 AM
Fungi regen is very noticeable, even if you have Torpor. Dunno how you can "barely notice" it.

BlkCamel
08-02-2014, 12:58 AM
You seem to think Ogre is way better than it actually is.

And you may be discounting Ogre too much. Stun immunity is immensely noticeable, I played Barb shaman 99-06ish and rolled Ogre here immediately. Now if this server went to PoP-ish era, I would argue Troll, then Iksar, then Ogre. But with Velious being cap you cannot ignore Ogre.

fahlen
08-02-2014, 04:11 PM
Doesn't a fully slowed mob only bash like every 32 seconds or something like that?

Manticmuse
08-02-2014, 05:36 PM
fully slowed mobs are not the problem, it's when they are bashing you before slow has successfully landed.

and yeah you can time around it, but start getting resisted and you want to chain it as fast as possible not wait another 4s taking melee hits to try again

pasi
08-02-2014, 07:08 PM
I'm glad other people are starting to post what Manticmuse just did so that I can rest easy.

The hardest part of fights is getting a mob slowed, exactly when stun immunity is at its best. Timing around bash is usually dumb since it's not guaranteed to land. Plus, if you're counting to 8 or 32 or whatever, you can be using that brain power to do something else.

I would have paid assloads of cash to switch my shaman over from an iksar to ogre on live. Svenn has mentioned that he wishes he made an Ogre, and he's pretty much the authority on how to min/max a shaman on P99.

Anyhow, not to derail this thread. Relatively speaking, shaman soloing is a much better fit in Velious, but they can still do most everything in Kunark if you are careful.

webrunner5
08-02-2014, 09:38 PM
HS north ain't going to happen without Strings. Only so much you can do even with root. It does break and your ass is had. Enchanters rule there for a reason. And even they F up at times. :) Hard area.

SyanideGas
08-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Killing scarabs in Seb is my game. Good stuff, not a bad AFK camp either really. Kill 2 scarabs, read or whatever and then come back and kill more.

Torpor and JBB make that a whole lot easier though, don't necessarily neeed puppet strings to make some awesome cash.

Scoresby
08-02-2014, 11:56 PM
HS north ain't going to happen without Strings. Only so much you can do even with root. It does break and your ass is had. Enchanters rule there for a reason. And even they F up at times. :) Hard area.

You can absolutely do HS North as a shaman without strings. It's not fun, but I've gone in several times and solo'd it to replace keys I let decay. It's all about knowing what you can pull when to not get an entire room. The wing boss as a shaman is considerably harder to solo than all of West though for sure.

Also, I solo'd pretty much exclusively here from 57-60 (HS North that is) on the west side of the hall camping 2 rooms. It's not super hard to do all 3 at 60 with Torpor.

-Stinkie

Orruar
08-03-2014, 12:20 AM
For real? Kill casters and HTers until you pop safer mobs, root adds and kill named then camp off adds then move to the other camp and repeat? I always assumed it'd be a bit much to break a random pop at a camp in south as a shaman without strings to help... though I can see how it'd be much less trouble if you had a camp of level 49-50 biles and wurms + 1 named to deal with than when it's popped with level 52 necros and HTers.

Yeah, I definitely groom the camps so I have the ideal mobs up. Casters are bad. I'm cool with HTers actually since I have a dog and I'm basically the Michael Vick of Halas. If you do it right, you never have to deal with more than 3 mobs at a time, which is really pretty easy for a shaman. Snipe ph while rooting his friends, camp, repeat. I'll offer training sessions to any interested shamans for the low low price of 50k. You'll make it back in fingerbone hoops within 2 weeks!

Orruar
08-03-2014, 12:25 AM

You know nothing about shamans apparently. I break and hold the final boss room to get west wing key, which includes a pull of 5-6 mobs. I pull the other 3 ph rooms to PL people, which means I'm rooting them all solo before we start killing. North is/was/always will be easy for a torpor shaman. And they could hold down all 3 named rooms solo np with epic in the mix. I mean, they could snipe ph if they wanted to, but they could also just kill everything without much trouble. 6-8 minutes per kill and 20 min repop? Only need to root/rot 4 at a time at that pace.. /yawn

Clark
08-03-2014, 12:53 AM
I'm cool with HTers actually since I have a dog and I'm basically the Michael Vick of Halas.

Lmao

wwoneo
10-10-2014, 02:36 PM

I'm a level 60 shaman with fungi/torpor/epic and have 0 problems soloing HS north. Breaking rooms is easily done with my pet. I just pre-torp him and run him in right as torp is landing, then just root/rot everything (if my pet gets too low i'll first cast AE slow on everything to pull agro off him so he survives). I don't even bother to camp agro, I just kill it all ez mode with epic. My shaman's name is Shamikaze.

Kushie
10-10-2014, 05:05 PM
You're going to have a bad time in HS without a pet to eat HT's.

Gimp
10-11-2014, 09:54 AM
I've been in HS South for months and have never seen a shaman soloing there. Was this before resist and root changes?

Clark
10-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Pre torpor I don't think efreeti is possible. Even if you cleared up, you've got to deal with him and 2 adds. I'm going to ignore the possibility of FD splitting them since that ring doesn't have enough charges to make it a viable long term strategy. So best case scenario is efreeti + 2. Even without the 2 adds, efreeti's dmg output can be ridiculous and his MR is very high. You'd need to get him slowed and interrupt a vast majority of his spells to have any hope of Sup Heal being enough. Root and sitting out of LoS while dotting him down would work, but with his MR I don't think any strategy involving root is reliable. Basically you'd need to have so many things go right to even have a chance of killing him that I think the potential for pre-torpor efreeti soloing is essentially non-existent.

The only thing I could think of would be if you could get a slow landed on him, and have a pet out and push in the same direction as the pet, coupled with slam if you're a large race. If you can interrupt him he turns into a huge pansy, but getting consistent interrupts solo would be kind of sketchy.

I'm a pretty mediocre shaman, but I don't see how it would be possible without torpor.

All you'd have to do is root both guards and ph to make him a definite solo pull if no Torpor. Kill guards and wait 7-8mins then kill rooted ph. Use pet as meat shield on a portion of Efreeti's spells. As long as you have good gear and resists along with +40fr/cr/mr on you and pet it isn't that bad.

Korben
10-11-2014, 11:05 PM
New 60 Shaman, soloed NG in Seb for about 3 hours today. Have epic, have fungi. One thing I only tried once because I was ambushed was killing the pather when it was a Krup Wizard. Mauled dogdog in 3 casts so I rooted, LOS'd, camped. Didn't have any issue against Krup Shaman, etc.

Is it readily feasible to think I can kill a Krup Wizard pather solo, while holding down the 3 bugs? Even if I take a short break to med/heal to full, I get to feeling he'd blast dogdog and myself down quickly before he ran out of mana.

Any suggestions?

Liia
10-12-2014, 04:27 AM
New 60 Shaman, soloed NG in Seb for about 3 hours today. Have epic, have fungi. One thing I only tried once because I was ambushed was killing the pather when it was a Krup Wizard. Mauled dogdog in 3 casts so I rooted, LOS'd, camped. Didn't have any issue against Krup Shaman, etc.

Is it readily feasible to think I can kill a Krup Wizard pather solo, while holding down the 3 bugs? Even if I take a short break to med/heal to full, I get to feeling he'd blast dogdog and myself down quickly before he ran out of mana.

Any suggestions?

Just kill the pather first if you wanna kill him. Otherwise you have enough room to kill all 3 scarabs and avoid the pather. You can also pop a Krup Knight and don"t kill it. Just root him while you kill the scarabs then log off. That pather may also gate if he is a shaman or wizard which make killing the pather even more deadly.

Regarding killing the wizard can be really tricky, you would have at least resist buff yourself, root rot it and LoS between some nukes so you can heal yourself. I'd suggest you to try to at least bash is Ice comet cause that nuke is the deadly one he may cast.

webrunner5
10-12-2014, 11:40 AM

Any suggestions?

Torpor would help a lot. Not trying to sound like a ass. I would probably want to have Torpor spell than a Fungi if I had to choose. I know it is tough to afford both items. Shaman is a VERY expensive class to play. Up there with a Warrior cost wise.

You just have to be wiling to die a lot of times to figure out different ideas that may work out. Sort of sucks but everyone has different mana pools, skills, hard to say just do "this" or "that". It is a cat and mouse thingy in there for sure.

davedeck42
10-12-2014, 11:58 AM
Invest in some resist gear, it will go a LONG way against some of the higher level casters in Seb and you tank them instead of your pet. Like other people said, Torpor > Fungi if you had to choose but the good news is with torpor, jbb and epic you can farm cash for an ikky bp and then eventually a new fungi.

Pint
10-12-2014, 12:03 PM
The biggest difference for me when shaman soloing was acquiring a really good set of mr/cr gear and using the greater null and greater cr pots, changes those caster fights significantly.

Toehammer
10-12-2014, 03:55 PM
good advice all around here, I don't like the intense camps like HS wings as much because family loves to interrupt me.

3 camps I have found work best for me (60 troll, epic, fungi, planar, all spells, nothing else special):

1) crypt: I actually only have much trouble with Freglor... he can be a pain in the ass sometimes, other than that I can hold down the other 3 mobs no problem... sometimes Hierophant gets in some extra spells on me though. Getting in/out of crypt sucks, especially not wanting to give up firepots bind.

2) NG, in my opinion this is the most steady, relaxing camp that keeps you moderately attentive and makes good money. Avoid krup wizards and shamans if possible... gate will kill you. However, I pull at least 1 rare gem every 1.5 hours, +5 or so 100pp gems. it is pretty awesome. If you have 8 ten-slot backpacks, you can have like 50-100k pp on you in gems/jewelry. This is how I funded an extra fungi/CoF for my monk. Getting to NG with see invis is a problem, although ask a savvy player about levitate sprinting!

3) frenzied in Lguk... probably a FBSS every 10 hours or so... sometimes 2x/10hr, just kill them quickly. Pretty simple with slow... can even do hand/supplier/arch magi at the same time if careful (nothing to sneeze at in terms of pp). I would avoid using pet here as he tends to warp and drag a whole floor with him.

I was camped out at NG for 4-5 months over a year ago (haven't played much since then) and was pulling usually 3k in 1.5 hours. Then I just started saving rare gems, got some stacks I think, for velious.

Some things in the thread I disagree with though. I don't really see the logic behind fungi being discarded for other chest armor... basically if one fight lasts 2-3 minutes, it is like having a 600hp chestpiece on. Also, it makes you need to pay less attention to torpor/cannibalize. It is one free torpor (1200hp) every 8 minutes, which is huge. In some sense, you can be lazy with regrowth (I would say 50% of the time I don't even have regrowth on) when you have a fungi. Also, no matter how much the troll/barb/iksar/ogre debate rages on, a 60 shaman with torpor/epic makes the race a very very small difference. I think there is really almost no difference between them. JBB helps a lot, regen is nice, frontal bash immunity is good. Also, most interrupts I see are from push, not stun. I think people overvalue frontal bash immunity... I have never died as a troll because I got interrupted trying to slow. If you get interrupted that much you are not rooting/malo/slowing in the right combination or order, and should experiment some more on different difficulty mobs. Once you know what works in general, almost all mobs are easy... slow is the most powerful spell in the game in my opinion.

For leveling, once you get epic, HS entrance is tough to beat. Efreeti mobs and bear pits can be fun, but I find HS entrance/basement is fast. Efreeti camp with a monk IMHO is the fastest way to get 55-60 though for a shaman.

I haven't played in a year though, so these root changes I keep hearing whispers about are scaring me. How bad is it? Have to malo now?

-Ghwerig

Korben
10-13-2014, 08:43 AM
good advice all around here, I don't like the intense camps like HS wings as much because family loves to interrupt me.

3 camps I have found work best for me (60 troll, epic, fungi, planar, all spells, nothing else special):

1) crypt: I actually only have much trouble with Freglor... he can be a pain in the ass sometimes, other than that I can hold down the other 3 mobs no problem... sometimes Hierophant gets in some extra spells on me though. Getting in/out of crypt sucks, especially not wanting to give up firepots bind.

2) NG, in my opinion this is the most steady, relaxing camp that keeps you moderately attentive and makes good money. Avoid krup wizards and shamans if possible... gate will kill you. However, I pull at least 1 rare gem every 1.5 hours, +5 or so 100pp gems. it is pretty awesome. If you have 8 ten-slot backpacks, you can have like 50-100k pp on you in gems/jewelry. This is how I funded an extra fungi/CoF for my monk. Getting to NG with see invis is a problem, although ask a savvy player about levitate sprinting!

3) frenzied in Lguk... probably a FBSS every 10 hours or so... sometimes 2x/10hr, just kill them quickly. Pretty simple with slow... can even do hand/supplier/arch magi at the same time if careful (nothing to sneeze at in terms of pp). I would avoid using pet here as he tends to warp and drag a whole floor with him.

I was camped out at NG for 4-5 months over a year ago (haven't played much since then) and was pulling usually 3k in 1.5 hours. Then I just started saving rare gems, got some stacks I think, for velious.

Some things in the thread I disagree with though. I don't really see the logic behind fungi being discarded for other chest armor... basically if one fight lasts 2-3 minutes, it is like having a 600hp chestpiece on. Also, it makes you need to pay less attention to torpor/cannibalize. It is one free torpor (1200hp) every 8 minutes, which is huge. In some sense, you can be lazy with regrowth (I would say 50% of the time I don't even have regrowth on) when you have a fungi. Also, no matter how much the troll/barb/iksar/ogre debate rages on, a 60 shaman with torpor/epic makes the race a very very small difference. I think there is really almost no difference between them. JBB helps a lot, regen is nice, frontal bash immunity is good. Also, most interrupts I see are from push, not stun. I think people overvalue frontal bash immunity... I have never died as a troll because I got interrupted trying to slow. If you get interrupted that much you are not rooting/malo/slowing in the right combination or order, and should experiment some more on different difficulty mobs. Once you know what works in general, almost all mobs are easy... slow is the most powerful spell in the game in my opinion.

For leveling, once you get epic, HS entrance is tough to beat. Efreeti mobs and bear pits can be fun, but I find HS entrance/basement is fast. Efreeti camp with a monk IMHO is the fastest way to get 55-60 though for a shaman.

I haven't played in a year though, so these root changes I keep hearing whispers about are scaring me. How bad is it? Have to malo now?

-Ghwerig

Nice post, sorry my only response here is that the root changes are a bitch while leveling but once I was like 55+ they seemed to taper off significantly. I'd wager 96% of roots are lasting full duration even when my pet pulled 5 mobs at once to crypt.

skipdog
10-13-2014, 05:29 PM

Well, at least I can discount anything you have to say for now on... rofl !