PDA

View Full Version : So about Ultima Online and EverQuest

Rattle Squirrell
07-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Did anyone play both?

How do they truely stack up as the "first".

I played both and really enjoyed them but wanted some opinions on the two.

Obviously Im here playing EQ ad not UO.....but I can't say that's because I like either one over the other. Live on UO is shit. And the Emu's seem to all be pay to win.

Well?

tanknspank
07-18-2014, 07:38 PM
I played both. I got way more into EQ thanks to the fact it was pure-PvE and amazingly immersive due to the 1st/close-3rd person perspective.

Clark
07-18-2014, 07:39 PM
I saw a friend play UO some looked kind of whack. Even worse graphics than diablo. It did seem hardcore PvP wise with losing items though.

Masq
07-18-2014, 07:43 PM
UO superior game, a lot more depth but both are fun for their own reasons

khanable
07-18-2014, 07:44 PM
UO is the bomb

GUARDS

kelsoider
07-18-2014, 07:44 PM
I still remember when that dude hacked UO and killed Lord British or whatever his name was

Pringles
07-18-2014, 07:47 PM
Played UO, quit after I got banned and started EQ. I love them both for different reasons.

Masq
07-18-2014, 07:47 PM
I still remember when that dude hacked UO and killed Lord British or whatever his name was

he didnt hack, just firefield after a server crash

Daywolf
07-18-2014, 07:49 PM
Yeah, played both from around launch for about six years on live servers. Both petered out by their changes. Both I went to EMU's by that time somewhat simulating the pre-changes rules. Only UO emu I haven't played on for the past couple years now.

They stacked up by being very different mmo's compared to each other. I would say UO devs were overly concerned about EQ population counts and started moving into a EQ style development path, becoming more gear dependent... which imo destroyed UO. UO was really nice when it was more skill dependent, with the more rare weapons and such. I mean not everyone ran around with vanquish weapons 24/7 back then. Then the emergence of luck suits and skill scrolls and all that crap wiped it out. EQ really started to fall apart after PoP imo, getting dumbed down, and more so as time went on.

Pringles
07-18-2014, 07:54 PM
Trammel killed UO, IMO. Ruined what it had going for it.

Daywolf
07-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Trammel killed UO, IMO. Ruined what it had going for it.I wouldn't say so, it didn't lose population over that. Wasn't really until luck suits, BOD's, skill scrolls, all the crazy resist garbage, then the pop started decreasing. I played on both facets after the split, pop was still healthy for years after that. Did lots of PvP post tram/fel split, even having seers leading pvp events. Was fun. Oh yeah, and that was the worst thing, when they got rid of the seers and volunteers, let go most of the existing GM's, then hired GM's from India (serious). f'ing sob's!
I hates EA!

Then since they abandoned expansions (on EnB) and then canceled Earth and Beyond to fund EA-land (aka sims online), I just stay clear of games by EA.

Rattle Squirrell
07-18-2014, 08:04 PM
I got back on live UO about a month ago before I came back to P99. I had a 7x GM Character in about 3 days due to "razor" and other programs. The actual people on the server I was on were non-existant and if you did find someone they were just crafting.

It was kinda fun to run around and kill stuff again......but I didn't feel it brought me what EQ does.

Not sure.

Rattle Squirrell
07-18-2014, 08:07 PM
I wouldn't say so, it didn't lose population over that. Wasn't really until luck suits, BOD's, skill scrolls, all the crazy resist garbage, then the pop started decreasing. I played on both facets after the split, pop was still healthy for years after that. Did lots of PvP post tram/fel split, even having seers leading pvp events. Was fun. Oh yeah, and that was the worst thing, when they got rid of the seers and volunteers, let go most of the existing GM's, then hired GM's from India (serious). f'ing sob's!
I hates EA!

Man that was one of the best things about UO in general was the amazing events they thru. and it seemed like there was a new one almost weekly. I did also enjoy having my own house I could recall over to and customize.

Daywolf
07-18-2014, 08:13 PM
I got back on live UO about a month ago before I came back to P99. I had a 7x GM Character in about 3 days due to "razor" and other programs. The actual people on the server I was on were non-existant and if you did find someone they were just crafting.

It was kinda fun to run around and kill stuff again......but I didn't feel it brought me what EQ does.

Not sure.

hehe yeah. It took me an entire year to GM my tamer. Was awesome because... it took us an entire year to fearkin GM our tamers :D
f'ing hardcore! Then when they made it easier, I saw one guy GM a tamer in about three days :p

indiscriminate_hater
07-18-2014, 08:15 PM
UO was the wild west of online gaming. To date the most fun and nerve wracking game I have played. So much scamming and thieving and murdering. You could lose months of work in a matter of seconds

iruinedyourday
07-18-2014, 08:16 PM
UO was the wild west of online gaming. To date the most fun and nerve wracking game I have played. So much scamming and thieving and murdering. You could lose months of work in a matter of seconds

what we need here is a permadeath p99 server :)

Daywolf
07-18-2014, 08:19 PM
what we need here is a permadeath p99 server :)
TRAIN TO ZONE!
legit ;)

Rattle Squirrell
07-18-2014, 08:22 PM
Oh jeez permadeath would be terrible.

Clark
07-18-2014, 08:44 PM

Lol

Jizzebel
07-18-2014, 08:45 PM
http://www.uosecondage.com/

Masq
07-18-2014, 09:34 PM

Not sure.

Razor programs have been around since 1999/2000, UOA, whatever

myriverse
07-19-2014, 07:53 AM
I played both. I got way more into EQ thanks to the fact it was pure-PvE and amazingly immersive due to the 1st/close-3rd person perspective.
UO almost drove me away from MMOs. Lucky, EQ was my rebound babe.

Only thing I miss from UO is the ecosystem feel.

hitmanloki
07-19-2014, 08:03 AM
http://www.uosecondage.com/

Uoforever.com

So many more whiners who respond to griefing and being killed by reds. Its amazing.

UO was my first MMO and it still is probably my favorite. The community is a lot harsher and rough around the edges, and really one thing I hate about EQ is that everyone can just throw the rulebook at you and you have to abide (usually with no contest). UO exalted and rewarded players who could skirt the rules and bend them to their advantage. Not to mention everywhere in the world is considered dangerous, not just because of monsters, but moreso because of players showing up.

This can work against you and for you. For example: You could undo someones months of work as they are decorating their house and you are a stealthed thief within said house picking up their hard earned rares/loot/equipment that could be very costly. Conversely, it could happen to you as well even if you are extremely careful.

thugcruncher
07-19-2014, 08:07 AM
Oh jeez permadeath would be terrible.

naw

Brynnag
07-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Played UO, quit after I got banned and started EQ. I love them both for different reasons.

So EQ is like your Australia?

Vyal
07-19-2014, 09:04 AM
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk301/tripleview/5cae2aed-8eae-4515-ab05-bc65ea4cef70.jpg

I played UO since it came out and only stopped playing maybe a year ago, after my Luna houses on Atlantic got burned down so I played Siege for years and years only to give it up finally and just let all my houses fall on every shard.
The game is amazing....
You don't know what pvp is unless you played UO - UO invented mmo pvp =)
& yes there is real freedom no you can't exploit things - well ya can but they do ban people.
For instance if you want to raid something you just go raid it there is not any server rotations or wait lists to kill something lol, but then you need a force to stop the people that are coming to raid you while your raiding and then following the raid force coming to kill you is a raid force coming to kill them =P I think in the photo above I was about to go raid someone.
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk301/tripleview/zergskills.jpg
Then the people who got me got taken out by another group of people then we went back and killed them before they got the champ down and rez killed in the star room.

Those free shards are pretty much trash I do not suggest playing. If you want to play UO then pay the 9 bucks a month and go play it for real.

Daywolf
07-19-2014, 09:33 AM
Fur real? Reactivated a year ago, still sucked, and no population. At least on the emu there is a population like here. Fur real.

Vyal
07-19-2014, 02:34 PM
Fur real? Reactivated a year ago, still sucked, and no population. At least on the emu there is a population like here. Fur real.

All depends what server you play on and how much you like the game.
IMO Siege is the only real shard left but you have to really search out people to kill them.
You might see GC lit up with 500 people but walk around and not see anyone, 95% of the shard is running around on stealthers / dismount tamers & thieves / deathstrikers
or you got them running in groups of 10 basically rolling anyone they see dry looting and continuing on.

You could go play care bear land and join ATL with thousands of players but to me its no fun.

Hybrid is probably the best free UO shard but thats dying off now a days also...

Only thing I can say about UO if ya really want to give it a shot they are doing R2B sometime after the summer when VvV is fully implemented (VvV is basically going to be the new mmo pvp, every other game will try to copy it like every other game including EQ bit off UO)

Daywolf
07-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Only thing I can say about UO if ya really want to give it a shot they are doing R2B sometime after the summer when VvV is fully implemented (VvV is basically going to be the new mmo pvp, every other game will try to copy it like every other game including EQ bit off UO)
Mmmm... mostly it just sucked (no personal offense meant). I didn't like the changes, left with the masses some time after AoS. But yeah population... pac having been one of the most populated servers years ago now is a ghost town and you can place a house about anywhere apart from castles. He's dead, Jim.

But it's good they keep the servers running, EA has a bad habit of executing under-populated mmo's to their standards.

Leeyuuduu
07-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Playing UO on the official servers isn't worth it..the difference between classic UO vs UO now is much greater than classic EQ and EQ Live. Classic UO was basically a game about killing each other and exploring (ie, about experiences), whereas UO now is just a game about items.

Left when they stated putting samurai ninjas and anime-esque shit into the game..disgusting..like taking a piece of art, burning it, and then taking a huge dump on the ashes

Vyal
07-19-2014, 07:34 PM
Playing UO on the official servers isn't worth it..the difference between classic UO vs UO now is much greater than classic EQ and EQ Live. Classic UO was basically a game about killing each other and exploring (ie, about experiences), whereas UO now is just a game about items.

Left when they stated putting samurai ninjas and anime-esque shit into the game..disgusting..like taking a piece of art, burning it, and then taking a huge dump on the ashes

Siege is about killing everyone and looting all their items then making them pay stupid prices to get the items back.

Daywolf
07-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Left when they stated putting samurai ninjas and anime-esque shit into the game..disgusting..like taking a piece of art, burning it, and then taking a huge dump on the ashesWell, I didn't mind the tram/fel split too much, because we had a huge pvp/role-play community going on pac, and so for us pvp still worked very well, awesomely for us anyway since we weren't concerned with going around just ganking non-pvp interested players on the server but having huge multi-guild wars, epic (we were the largest guilds in the game at the time). But yeah, in that era, starting around AoS and beyond, they were destroying that for us with all the item based gameplay. sad-sad :o

ode to the days when everyone ran around in GM made gear and it was considered the standard. And all the GM armor smiths gathered around the Brit blacksmith repairing equipment for players.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam
-Binyon

applesauce25r624
07-19-2014, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't say so, it didn't lose population over that.

losing population =/= killing a game

it had the same effect anyways

pacific shard blew after that

almost everybody stayed in the carebear world

murrpau
07-20-2014, 12:49 AM
Ultima Online?
More like Pen-ultima Online
http://media.giphy.com/media/10zi9Pi3iVtX7W/giphy.gif

Pringles
07-20-2014, 12:59 AM

Thats what happened on Baja as well. Trammel ruined UO.

Daywolf
07-20-2014, 11:12 AM
losing population =/= killing a game

it had the same effect anyways

pacific shard blew after that

Look up the mmo charts site, it was stable for years after that. Now compare that to SWG:NGE, insta-death of a population. It's all the stuff that did it, it went from skill to item based. Thats no good for a sandbox game.

kevoh
07-20-2014, 07:00 PM
Ultima Online?
More like Pen-ultima Online
http://media.giphy.com/media/10zi9Pi3iVtX7W/giphy.gif

WORKAHOLICS ANYTHING MAKES MY DAY!

anyways, continue conversation. im out!

R Flair
07-20-2014, 07:37 PM
UO had some great stuff going for it in the sandbox department. The fact that you had a ton of different options as far as gameplay was great. Players could actually run cities and stuff, but ultimately the game was lacking.

Problem with UO and sandbox mmos in general was that they lack progression that EQ had to offer. They just get so f'ing boring after you gather some materials, claim or build your city and then what... just fight over territory that ultimately means nothing cause the entire world is boring and useless?

EQ PvP was far superior cause it had the immersion of UO but for different reasons (better graphics, music, story .. p much everything) and most importantly, it gave you a real reason to pvp. Pixels.

Vyal
07-20-2014, 07:52 PM
UO had some great stuff going for it in the sandbox department. The fact that you had a ton of different options as far as gameplay was great. Players could actually run cities and stuff, but ultimately the game was lacking.

Problem with UO and sandbox mmos in general was that they lack progression that EQ had to offer. They just get so f'ing boring after you gather some materials, claim or build your city and then what... just fight over territory that ultimately means nothing cause the entire world is boring and useless?

EQ PvP was far superior cause it had the immersion of UO but for different reasons (better graphics, music, story .. p much everything) and most importantly, it gave you a real reason to pvp. Pixels.

nah bro eq pvp is totally 100% shit for real.
Theres to many rules to have fun in EQ pvp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKruLwKkVic

Thats some random old video I found of my guild cow aka barnyard animals vs hot.
You have no idea what dafuq your talking about if you think eq pvp good.

and another one of hot scum being zerg in luna
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVbdQyxx1UI

Valdarious
07-21-2014, 09:43 AM
I do remember bits and pieces of UO when I first start in that free 30 days of play. Leaving town was nerve racking when you would get ganked by some dread lord.
I do remember when I found out about the thieving though. Stealth thieving stuff out of chests in town or actually stealing thing off of people at the bank once you got good enough.

Dunes
07-21-2014, 12:18 PM

Exactly!

First "real" MMO that I played was "The Realm Online". Then screenshots were published for UO and the freedom it promised had me following every detail of its development. When it launched, I jumped ship and played UO... only to discover that rubber band lag, scamming, and PK's made the game incredibly frustrating. It is one of the few games where I actually broke PC peripherals in bouts of rage. At least two keyboards and a mouse succumbed to my righteous fury :o

Anyway, that said, it did offer so much freedom that it had its own sort of appeal. Many memorable moments of fleeing from a PK, killing dragons with blade spirits, and locking down the orc fort near Cove... good times! EQ is still the superior game though given the depth that a 3D environment, group dynamics and complex dungeons can offer.

douglas1999
07-21-2014, 01:33 PM
Pre-trammel UO was the greatest thing that ever existed. It's a shame that it really can't ever be re-lived, because I think a large part of the experience was the sheer diversity of players on a given shard, which was due largely in part to the fact that UO was one of a very small set of mmo's when it launched. People who wanted an mmo experience pretty much had to play UO. Now, even on emu's like second age that emulate the pre-trammel ruleset, only hardcore pvp'ers play. You can't wander out into the wilderness and find a naive roleplayer melee'ing an ettin, because that type of player was ultimately driven away from the game by the rampant pvp. I pvp'ed and pve'ed pretty equally in UO, and the sense of danger once you left the protection of the town guards was unmatched in anything else I've played. Sure it sucked to die and be looted, but because of the item balance at the time it wasn't the end of the world, and if you were able to hunt down your murderer and extract revenge it was immensely satisfying. No other game has gotten my adrenaline pumping like early UO, not even close.

Obviously I love classic EQ also, but it's really apples and oranges for me, they're just completely different types of games. If there were a UO emu that offered a comparable experience that p99 does for EQ, I'd play both equally. Unfortunately UO second age maxes out at around 180 players :(

Vyal
07-21-2014, 01:39 PM
Pre-trammel UO was the greatest thing that ever existed. It's a shame that it really can't ever be re-lived, because I think a large part of the experience was the sheer diversity of players on a given shard, which was due largely in part to the fact that UO was one of a very small set of mmo's when it launched. People who wanted an mmo experience pretty much had to play UO. Now, even on emu's like second age that emulate the pre-trammel ruleset, only hardcore pvp'ers play. You can't wander out into the wilderness and find a naive roleplayer melee'ing an ettin, because that type of player was ultimately driven away from the game by the rampant pvp. I pvp'ed and pve'ed pretty equally in UO, and the sense of danger once you left the protection of the town guards was unmatched in anything else I've played. Sure it sucked to die and be looted, but because of the item balance at the time it wasn't the end of the world, and if you were able to hunt down your murderer and extract revenge it was immensely satisfying. No other game has gotten my adrenaline pumping like early UO, not even close.

Obviously I love classic EQ also, but it's really apples and oranges for me, they're just completely different types of games. If there were a UO emu that offered a comparable experience that p99 does for EQ, I'd play both equally. Unfortunately UO second age maxes out at around 180 players :(

There is Hybrid, a few thousands players daily...
Hybrid is probably the equivalent to p99 for UO expect it has a lot more players.
I think Hybrid brings in a 100 - 300k a month or every two something like that in donations.
I always thought p99 would be around the same number monthly and always wanted to know why they said they do it for free.... NOT GOING TO TOUCH THAT AGAIN THO!
However UO now a days is far superior then it was in the past you just need to know where to look, like I said Siege Perilous is the place to be.

Millburn
07-21-2014, 03:49 PM
"GUARDS by the bank, please inform them I would like to check my balance." F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

applesauce25r624
07-21-2014, 04:21 PM
people at the bank once you got good enough.

don't bank

don't bank

don't bank so close to me

applesauce25r624
07-21-2014, 04:23 PM
You can't wander out into the wilderness and find a naive roleplayer melee'ing an ettin, because that type of player was ultimately driven away from the game by the rampant pvp.

UO an corp has plenty of delicious noobs to devour

at least they did a few months ago when i took a break from it

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/42/423fa4bb4281abe0cfa70331c1141d06a4913414b6e0589422 37e7f716ad0811.jpg

applesauce25r624
07-21-2014, 04:25 PM
There is Hybrid, a few thousands players daily...
Hybrid is probably the equivalent to p99 for UO expect it has a lot more players.
I think Hybrid brings in a 100 - 300k a month or every two something like that in donations.
I always thought p99 would be around the same number monthly and always wanted to know why they said they do it for free.... NOT GOING TO TOUCH THAT AGAIN THO!
However UO now a days is far superior then it was in the past you just need to know where to look, like I said Siege Perilous is the place to be.

hybrid was pretty fun a few years ago. I need to check that out again

Valdarious
07-22-2014, 07:05 AM
this is an in-game email one of them sent to our guild leader)

OMG, lol.

Mblake81
08-02-2014, 04:22 PM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/42/423fa4bb4281abe0cfa70331c1141d06a4913414b6e0589422 37e7f716ad0811.jpg

Some areas are King Guard controlled so that they blues may breed, they all wander out eventually.

Some go Red (Cutthroat), others stay Blue (Helpful) to seek their adventures.

A Modern UO (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1558945&postcount=58)

Chrysus
08-02-2014, 11:47 PM
Pre-trammel UO was the greatest thing that ever existed. It's a shame that it really can't ever be re-lived, because I think a large part of the experience was the sheer diversity of players on a given shard, which was due largely in part to the fact that UO was one of a very small set of mmo's when it launched. ...

I completely agree. While I have played and enjoyed many MMOs such as EQ, ShadowBane, WoW, etc., they have all been "games", only UO was a "world". And you're right about the diversity, which I think is also at least partly due to UO being a "world", and attracting people that didn't want to play a game, just socialize/RP/explore a virtual world.

Everyone, the PKs, the 24/7s, the girls that just want to decorate their house/tower/castle, even the developers, where playing and figuring out their first MMO.

... Siege Perilous is the place to be.

So many memories. Those GC vs UDL battles...

Full (everything) looting, and magic items/gear having so little impact on balance (at least from the 97-99 span I played) was an amazing, thrilling combination. I sincerely hope some ambitious developer team, sick of wow rip-offs, gets crazy enough to attempt such an open, free, "world" again.

Baler
08-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Played Ultima Online since Beta and I still play it.

Played EQ around Kunark/velious and lost interest after a couple more expansions.

Zluka
08-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Quite the contrary it wasn't Trammel that "killed" UO. It was PvP... I remember people leaving in droves because there was no forced PvP in EQ. Oh and it was newer and much more exciting, there was that too.

I have tried UO again in 2010 or so, have played for almost an year. And the killer for me was the fact that best and most fun PvE events were happening in PvP facet (Felucca). I welcome PvP as long as it is fully consensual like The Zek servers in EQ, but in UO it is still forced on you many years since Trammel.

PvP in UO is fine its just you build a PvP only character for it to have any kind of success. Being forced to PvP with a PvE character sucks really bad no matter how well-geared you are. Yes I have killed many PKs with my sampire, but in the end it was very frustrating experience to get ganked when you finally cleared all the trash and spawned the final boss.

Baler
08-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Quite the contrary it wasn't Trammel that "killed" UO. It was PvP.

You clearly don't know Ultima Online. PvP didn't kill UO.. It was players who used macros and scripts that coordinated attacks on single targets, read targets gear and people who modified the graphics to gain a small advantage over other players.
So PvP in uo was a big thing that brought people in and kept them playing.
Trammel did put a damper on the fun this is fact.
Insurance also put a damper on the fun because now no one loses any gear and the only reason to kill people is for their head or bragging rights.

By the sounds of your overall post,. you sound like you died a lot to players and are still sour about it.

Daywolf
08-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Quite the contrary it wasn't Trammel that "killed" UO. It was PvP... I remember people leaving in droves because there was no forced PvP in EQ. Oh and it was newer and much more exciting, there was that too.
I call BS on that one. If you look at the chart (http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png)you see UO didn't start to die until AoS/SE.

There was still plenty of PvP in the game after Renaissance, just not so much the solo-ganker type any longer. But if you were into big wars, friggen golden age pre-AoS.

AoS killed it, period, pvp and non-pvp players. Look at the chart there. That and SE sent it into a tailspin. They screwed up the game, made it all more gear dependent while marginalizing skills and just throwing this huge pile of stuff and item treadmills into the game, like BOD's etc. BOD's in itself was enough to kill the game, especially before BOD books lol. BOD's compared to the days of standing around the Brit forge repairing armor and weapon for players, a social game it was, an mmo. It became a solo-friendly game where you needed no one but yourself and maybe a stocked vendor standing near by.

Not just BOD's of course, a whole lot of things, just the total dumbing down of the game overall since AoS and onward. Such as took me a year to GMx a tamer (an accomplishment), but after AoS it became three days. That's about the total time worth playing UO before uninstalling it now/post-AoS, about three days. Or the demise of the pure warrior, where I once loved to play on my macer and demonstrate the meaning of skill as I smashed through players armor with well timed moves in wars and tournaments. No, they changed the game to best fit for morons that cant handle the challenge of the skill game where one player may actually play better than another. They made it "fair" where no matter how good you are or how bad, every one is equal under the dumbed down system. The hero, the villain, long since dead and buried. UO is dead, died long ago.

applesauce25r624
09-02-2014, 07:06 PM
doh. UO An Corp is down for now. really hope the next iteration lasts longer.

Anybody playing UOR right now ?

themessy
09-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Pre-trammel UO was the greatest thing that ever existed. It's a shame that it really can't ever be re-lived, because I think a large part of the experience was the sheer diversity of players on a given shard, which was due largely in part to the fact that UO was one of a very small set of mmo's when it launched. No other game has gotten my adrenaline pumping like early UO, not even close.

This. Ever had to walk around your house because your hands were shaking so bad from the adrenaline pumping through your body? UO did that.