PDA

View Full Version : Guildies, Ports and Tipping

sox7d
07-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Tipping for ports is the reciprocal value of the transportation.

Guildies help each other, but ports are usually seen as free.

Why does the "favor" always fall on the service-provider?

Why is it the norm that guildies don't tip if we're all helping each other?

kruptcy
07-22-2014, 11:48 AM
I don't understand the question.

Daldaen
07-22-2014, 11:55 AM
If I port anyone I expect buffs of any variety. I'll even ask SKs for resist cold cause it's super important.

Tuljin
07-22-2014, 11:55 AM
Porting has a de facto pay-what-you-can system here on p99 and there's not much we can do about it. The people who tip in gems and 100pp make up for those who pay 5pp or nothing. Ill get stiffed once in a while but ive gotten a lot of awesome tips so we really just have to deal with it

Ele
07-22-2014, 11:59 AM
Your guildies not paying you to port them?

Tuljin
07-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Guildie ports are free, tho if its a real hassle they should toss you some plat

kruptcy
07-22-2014, 12:04 PM

I would never expect a tip from a guild member. If I asked my brother to drive me to the store because my car was in the shop I don't think he'd expect to be paid like a taxi driver. Yeah if the cost of the gas was non-negligible I might throw in a couple bucks, but otherwise it's just something that friends / family do for eachother.

sox7d
07-22-2014, 12:10 PM
I would never expect a tip from a guild member. If I asked my brother to drive me to the store because my car was in the shop I don't think he'd expect to be paid like a taxi driver. Yeah if the cost of the gas was non-negligible I might throw in a couple bucks, but otherwise it's just something that friends / family do for eachother.

Culture surrounding driving and porting aren't identical. What if it was a guildie you'd never seen before/spoken to in a non-raiding guild?

Heebo
07-22-2014, 12:17 PM
The only reason to join a guild is the free ports

Tuljin
07-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Gotta do it for free dude, sry - if you don't want to do it just say "I'm busy" Haha. I also usually keep /anon or /role. If I take it off its deliberate and I know I am having wizard office hours - I often get tells for ports and advice unless I am /role. The life of a porting class!

kruptcy
07-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Culture surrounding driving and porting aren't identical. What if it was a guildie you'd never seen before/spoken to in a non-raiding guild?

Not sure, I generally try to get to know most people in the guilds I am in. If its not common practice in your guild to help eachother then I wouldn't feel obligated -- if your guildies help you with CRs or quest kills and the like then I think you should be happy to pay it back in ports, even if its a name you don't recognize.

Daldaen
07-22-2014, 12:24 PM
I really don't get tells for ports much anymore. People have the good sense to know a 60 Druid has better things to do than port you for 15 platinum. That level 34 Failing Druid likely would port you for 15 plat cause he needs the money.

If I am feeling kind, and I'm not busy, I'll be porting you for free. But offering 15-50 platinum doesn't really entice me much. 100+ and I will probably port you somewhere. 300+ and I may port you from a zone I'm not in to a different zone. 1000+ and I'll consider traveling to an obscure zone to port you out of.

thieros
07-22-2014, 12:30 PM
/who all dial. dont bother your guildies with your need for a port. now if only who all dial did rezzes & summons as well....

Lifebar
07-22-2014, 12:30 PM
I don't think twice about not tipping guildies for ports. I also do not expect compensation for running across a bunch if zones to Rez them. A guildie tipping me would be weird and I wouldn't be willing to accept it (zomg unless its peridots)

thieros
07-22-2014, 12:32 PM
I don't think twice about not tipping guildies for ports. I also do not expect compensation for running across a bunch if zones to Rez them. A guildie tipping me would be weird and I wouldn't be willing to accept it (zomg unless its peridots)

tipping dots only form of acceptable guildy donations

Laugher
07-22-2014, 12:32 PM

^

The monetary value of time spent on porting a guildie will pay itself back eventually I believe; your chars skills as a porter are pretty expendable and many others would be happy to do this job for the guild, free of charge.

I like to think of the guild as the people you should be helping for free, because if anyone is going to help you with things that aren't trade/sellable (ex. help out of a rough spot, a rez, some pixels, comradery on a key hunt/grind, etc.) your guild is your elf sim family; try to make it not dysfunctional with your lack of port love lol

*edit* also, lol @ the idea of mobilizing a broke guild with skimpy porters via boat

indiscriminate_hater
07-22-2014, 01:17 PM
^

The monetary value of time spent on porting a guildie will pay itself back eventually I believe; your chars skills as a porter are pretty expendable and many others would be happy to do this job for the guild, free of charge.

I like to think of the guild as the people you should be helping for free, because if anyone is going to help you with things that aren't trade/sellable (ex. help out of a rough spot, a rez, some pixels, comradery on a key hunt/grind, etc.) your guild is your elf sim family; try to make it not dysfunctional with your lack of port love lol

*edit* also, lol @ the idea of mobilizing a broke guild with skimpy porters via boat

troof

tanknspank
07-22-2014, 01:31 PM
What if it was a guildie you'd never seen before/spoken to in a non-raiding guild?

Doesn't matter. The reason to join a guild is to be together with people who you want to pull in the same direction with. You're a team. Sure you don't all help each other or play together 100% of the time, but these will be the people you turn to when you yourself need a hand (with a quest, a CR, a camp, an epic, whatever).

If you feel the people of the guild aren't worth investing time into, or that they wouldn't be there to give you a helping hand when you needed it in turn, then maybe you need to look for a new guild.

Juryiel
07-22-2014, 01:33 PM

Because presumably guildies help you in other ways and don't ask you for plat. Clerics probably res you. Necros probably summon your corpse, etc etc. All of them help you get stuff like gear. Ports aren't really worth all that much in comparison.

GnashingOfTeeth
07-22-2014, 01:35 PM
Guildies ask in guild chat for ports, if you dont have time, dont reply, or explain that you are busy. Most people understand.

Thulack
07-22-2014, 01:50 PM
If I port anyone I expect buffs of any variety. I'll even ask SKs for resist cold cause it's super important.

You port our SK's around too much :P

fastboy21
07-22-2014, 01:54 PM
you do it for free because porting is one of the few utilities you have to offer your guildmates as a porting class, especially if you are a wizard. it also takes very little time.

if you are moral you do this because you want to contribute. if you are immoral you do it because you think you may need to cash in the favors you do at a later time or you do it because you don't want others to think you're an ass.

nobody wants to be a slave taxi that gets taken for granted. charge your guildmates. they won't love you...but at least you'll have some pp to jingle in your pocket while lfg in EC.

captnamazing
07-22-2014, 01:54 PM
^

As a porting class, be it wiz or druid, you're not as great in group or raid settings as others. However, you have the power to get that group or raid going. This is just as essential as having a group.

You shouldn't be getting plat reciprocation from guildies, but invites to groups, help, etc. Shit that is more or less invaluable.

Duggin
07-22-2014, 02:15 PM
I typically keep ruby crowns around for port donations. I'll ask once for volunteers, always pay them more over the ones who wait til I throw a price out there.

kaev
07-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Forming a new guild: <Asshats For Plat>

10,000pp entry fee, non-refundable and no waivers.

Minimum remuneration for in-guild ports & rezzes is 100pp per transaction.

Raid Service Fees: 300pp to attend Hate/Fear raids (or 1200pp if you want PremiumRaider loot priority service), 600pp for Sky (3000pp for PremiumRaider), 500pp for Vox/Naggy (2500pp premium), 2000pp for Kunark dragons and VS (10000kpp for Kunark target PremiumRaider.) All raid fees are payable in advance and are assessed on a per raid basis.

Kekephee
07-22-2014, 02:58 PM
If I'm not being ported for purposes of a guild event, I usually try to make it a point to offer to pay. I try not to take favors from my guildies for granted. They usually refuse the payment, but if they don't, they still deserve it

Reubin
07-22-2014, 03:52 PM
I've had guildies offer me plat for ports before and I always turn it down. Whenever I port I do it because I have the time and I don't expect to be paid. It's always nice to get some kind of a donation, but I never require it unless someone sends me a direct tell saying they will pay for a port. If you send a tell and just say "Hey, could you possibly do a port from Gfay to WC?", I wouldn't expect payment if I have the time and decide to help out. It would be really cool if you DID tip me, but I wouldn't count on it. On the other hand, if you send me a tell that says "Hey, can you port me from Gfay to WC for 50pp" then I better get the 50pp. I've had numerous occasions where after I port I get "Oh, sorry thought I had the plat on me but I must've banked it lol" or something like that. Guess I should probably just wait until I have cash in hand in that case.

Rhambuk
07-22-2014, 04:14 PM
be sure to tip them 15plat when they help with those epic fights

sox7d
07-22-2014, 04:26 PM
If I'm not being ported for purposes of a guild event, I usually try to make it a point to offer to pay. I try not to take favors from my guildies for granted. They usually refuse the payment, but if they don't, they still deserve it

Pretty much this. At least offer. I always deny payment when it's a guildie, but it's kind of rude when a guildie in a "chatroom" guild just runs off with a "thx."

Wildino
07-22-2014, 04:51 PM

I'loled

Main druid since the creation of this universe, i would be ashamed to accept plats to port a guildie.

But i never wasted any minute on dealing ports for buisness so i guess it's how you see your druid. Or game.

Tpar
07-22-2014, 05:37 PM
I port a lot of my guild members around. Its part of why many people join a guild, is that its easy (often) to find a port. That being said, I also won't port them if I'm in a group, or in something that I can't easily return to doing. (i.e. I'm camping a mob that spawns once every 4 hours, and I'm not sure when he will spawn next). I don't expect any payment for porting services, any more than I expect to pay the guild cleric who comes to rez me (and who I may have just ported to rez me), or to pay the guild chanter for the C2. Part of the idea of a guild, is that by mutual support, (which includes donating time and services), we help each other grow better and stronger.

For that matter, I often don't accept a donation from anyone under level 20, and I will port someone for a CR for free, and sometimes help them find the corpse. If people would be less interested in the almighty plat, and more interested in cooperating and helping each other, this already great server would be even better.

Aceart Earthbender
55 Druid
Blackheart Pirates

Rhambuk
07-22-2014, 05:48 PM
I never port guildies, if they ask I tell them to do it themselves lazy sods!

<Dial a port>

Juryiel
07-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Pretty much this. At least offer. I always deny payment when it's a guildie, but it's kind of rude when a guildie in a "chatroom" guild just runs off with a "thx."

Personally I would be very ashamed of myself if I were guilded with people where having the opportunity to offer them help free of charge when I could and had the time was not way more rewarding than 30pp or whatever you might get from a port. It would either mean that I'm extremely selfish or in the wrong guild. Rather than thinking it's rude to not be offered 30pp, you should feel happy you have the opportunity to significantly benefit someone in your guild for what amounts to very little effort on your part.

Champion_Standing
07-22-2014, 05:50 PM
I pay double to guildies or in game friends that port me unless they refuse it. RL friends? They get nothin!

Basicgear
07-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Guys I'm new here and just excited to see this conversation. One of the cornerstones to classic EQ to me was the need for ports (once that went away it ruined it all for me). The value of fast travel and the consequences of not having it make every journey somewhat exciting. I've been on proj99 for a little over a month and have already had a few interesting conversations with people while waiting for a boat. :P

Clark
07-24-2014, 03:06 AM