PDA

View Full Version : Recreating the classic experience: item recharging

Nirgon
07-23-2014, 09:15 AM
This should be pretty easy to settle.

Boxing and item recharging were both possible day 1 on EQ and through Velious.

Very very few people boxed, so we do not allow it to recreate the "classic experience".

An even smaller number people knew about item recharging (especially during Kunark) even compared to the # of people boxing.

How is allowing item recharging recreating the classic experience again? Should we just allow boxing too?

Inb4 raiders that love rushing down mobs with midnight mallet for ezpz lemon sqzy agro gain. Show me some threads/history for raid strategy where they have the tanks rush in with fully charged mallets that they recharged on the regular.

tl;dr midnight mallet quest ruins my immersion.

Estu
07-23-2014, 09:18 AM
I like this post.

kruptcy
07-23-2014, 09:19 AM
I like this post.

So do I, but the fact is we can never go back to the classic experience... where there was no info on most of the game and everything was a mystery. :( makes me sad.

Jaxon
07-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Let's not forget the limitations of the hardware we had during that era too. Zoning could take up to 5 minutes on a p200! Bring back classic zoning times and framerates.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
07-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Bring it mechanically close. If you still don't get those feels it's your own problem.

Daldaen
07-23-2014, 09:38 AM
Compelling post.

Classic - Kunark it wasn't too common of practice to recharge items. Velious it became more prevalent:

EQ Cleric 2002 (http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4896&highlight=Vendor+recharge)

You can recharge a Larriken's the following way.

1) Sell a fully charged mask to a vendor.
2) Sell the empty mask to the same vendor.
3) Buy back both masks - now fully charged. (I havent done so and hence dont know the price).

The mask is lore though - so you need 2 chars to do this. Also make sure to use a fairly empty vendor - you dont want to have to buy a lot of junk before your masks show up for sale.

EQCleric 2001 (http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9237&highlight=recharge)

You need 2 - 1 with charges and one without. Sell the one with charges to a vendor first then the one without charges. The vendor will stack them so when you buy them back they will both have charges. This can be done with Larriken's Masks, old pumice stones and I assume the staff.

Posts in era confirming the recharging mechanic. These are on open boards that many people read. I think it's fair to say during Velious it was becoming common knowledge. The strategy of using mallets to aggro however may not have been.

A more compelling notion would be making SoulFire paladin only clickable.

Though I will say. Not Classic.

Nirgon, I know you want a classic experience. Work to make Red a server worthy of playing on. Slay the global OOC, PvP text and Group EXP bonuses first. Then reconsider item recharge on blue.

Frogie305
07-23-2014, 10:11 AM
This should be pretty easy to settle.

Very very few people boxed, so we do not allow it to recreate the "classic experience".

An even smaller number people knew about item recharging (especially during Kunark) even compared to the # of people boxing.

How is allowing item recharging recreating the classic experience again? Should we just allow boxing too?

Inb4 raiders that love rushing down mobs with midnight mallet for ezpz lemon sqzy agro gain. Show me some threads/history for raid strategy where they have the tanks rush in with fully charged mallets that they recharged on the regular.

tl;dr midnight mallet quest ruins my immersion.

www.stahptryingtobreakmybladestopper.com

Thats one website right there.

Duncon
07-23-2014, 10:12 AM
I also do not like this recharge stuff, it was never part of my classic experience.

Nirgon
07-23-2014, 10:24 AM
www.stahptryingtobreakmybladestopper.com

Thats one website right there.

That nice try doe.

Love me some Redgar.

Tuffpuppy
07-23-2014, 10:26 AM
I boxed occasionally in Kunark and Velious, and I believe I recharged an item once or twice during Velious. Both should NOT be enabled on Project1999. Takes away from the server experience IMO.

Gaffin 7.0
07-23-2014, 10:32 AM
naw nigadon naw

Ele
07-23-2014, 10:33 AM
Wish we had REAL pumice to recharge, not this new crap with casting times. My guild used recharging in classic, although not to the extent it is used on P99 with fully stocked recharge mules and the like.

Pros: Makes the game harder. Harder to mobilize without cap recharges and everyone having OT hammers via Puppet Strings. DPS have to control their aggro. Tanks have to manage their hate. Cuts down on cheese factor of everyone having to have said items to be decent raiders.

Cons: Destroys an ability people had in classic to reuse their Leatherfoot Caps/Invis Mask/Rings. Won't take away Midnight Mallet issues.

Considering the length that people go through to camp Soulfires right now, removing recharging will just result in the socking of these camps to acquire some of these items. Midnight Mallets won't go away since people can just dump rubies on Laguna all day long when she is up.

If recharging were to be removed as "fixing a bug" that existed in classic, perhaps we could see an unnerfing of Ivandyr's Hoop and let it turn Laguna into a huge plat sink if people are willing to turn in dozens of rubies to get them every time they use it?

Gaffin 7.0
07-23-2014, 10:37 AM
can we fix rogue hide first? then we can get to item charging

Daldaen
07-23-2014, 10:44 AM
The thing I recharge the most is probably invis items for my cleric. Which will be annoying to lose. Come Velious though I'll just farm a vanishing device and it will be NP again.

I don't use caps, not nearly the extent some people do. Even if I did I can farm those really easily as a Firepot bound druid. I'm sure the price on them would increase up to about 1k~ and you'd find Insta-Gate potion vendors sold out more (you're welcome for that change by the way!).

As Ele said, Mallets will be a non-issue. It is actually cheaper to get new mallets than to recharge them. Just a tad less convenient.

Ensnare Lynunga, bring to the shaman spell vendor on hand, charm her. Turn in rubies. Rubies are 131pp, Brutechoppers sell back for 80~. You're spending about 50 per turnin. To be more expensive than a recharge it would require you go 0/7-8 on Mallets. Which does happen rarely but you will often get a mallet 1st or second ruby as well. Basically it will just change people doing their recharges in WC or NFP to doing fresh mallets in Inny Swamp after a days repops.

Without going extremely unclassic, and I mean Red99 levels of unclassic, you won't get away from people getting mallets for aggro.

Cecily
07-23-2014, 10:49 AM
can we fix rogue hide first? then we can get to item charging

Barely feel like playing my rogues anymore. Restore pickpocket to it's previous state as well. Not being able to pickpocket giants is an abomination.

Bohab
07-23-2014, 10:50 AM

You also had to pay a subscription for the accounts you wanted to box...

People come up with any excuse to box... What is with you antisocial, greedy bastards? You don't want to share loot so you wanna build your own group to beat content all by yourself? It isn't necessary to play the game!

Like you said not many people did it back then... today it would be SO different. Everyone and their mother has a shaman in this game and EVERYONE will box. The game isn't big enough.

Tuffpuppy
07-23-2014, 10:52 AM
This aint Planes of Power, you wont get Shroud of Stealth here people. And this isn't about Rogues and the classic fix the devs implemented. This is about fixing something that should be fixed for the better of the server.

kruptcy
07-23-2014, 10:59 AM
It should be decided what is more important, the spirit of classic EQ or the exact recreation of every game mechanic from that time period.

Gaffin 7.0
07-23-2014, 11:00 AM
This aint Planes of Power, you wont get Shroud of Stealth here people. And this isn't about Rogues and the classic fix the devs implemented. This is about fixing something that should be fixed for the better of the server.

You have no idea what your talking about. Previous hide wasnt shroud of stealth.

Tuffpuppy
07-23-2014, 11:08 AM
You have no idea what your talking about. Previous hide wasnt shroud of stealth.

Maybe not, but it was not classic hide. And again, this isn't a thread about Rogues, post your proof in bugs.

Fiyero
07-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Barely feel like playing my rogues anymore. Restore pickpocket to it's previous state as well. Not being able to pickpocket giants is an abomination.

Cecily abandoning rogues?! :eek: That's so sad!

Kika Maslyaka
07-23-2014, 12:04 PM
Kill MQs

Daldaen
07-23-2014, 12:14 PM
MQs are confirmed classic as hell. Plenty of guilds list raid loot as saying "No Drop Piece to Guild Bank", which eventually got MQed. Found 2 or 3 mentions of it in my researching of the Druid epic stones.

What's not classic, is MQ sales. Atleast... Not with the prevalence found on this server.

You could ban MQ sales I suppose, like they did Character trading. But that may push some to try to sell/buy MQs via RMT.

Banning of MQ sales would be really interesting. I'm curious what would happen with people farming Ragefire. Would the hearts just get destroyed or would people MQ them for free. I don't think anything would stop Ragefire being farmed though.

Ravager
07-23-2014, 12:22 PM
I'd be happy to be rid of item recharging and Soulfire clickable by anyone. Maybe having them was classic, but nerfing abused items was even more classic.

tanknspank
07-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Raiding guilds were routinely recharging items even before Kunark. For example our monks always had Staff of Forbidden Rites to click from inventory and rez a cleric after each wipe.

You also had to pay a subscription for the accounts you wanted to box...
I doubt this is what kept a significant number of people from boxing. $15 was not that much even in 1999. Compared to the time to level a second character, the hardware investment (way back in 1999 classic before windowing was possible and we had to use 1 PC/account), the added deaths from not being able to run away on 2-3 different chars, the effort to play different classes and so on, that $15 was insignificant. (Wasn't EQ $9.99 early on? Or am I thinking of UO?)

People come up with any excuse to box... What is with you antisocial, greedy bastards? You don't want to share loot so you wanna build your own group to beat content all by yourself? It isn't necessary to play the game!
Un-botted boxing is a convenience / flexibility factor. Filling in a necessary class for your group when you can't find a replacement. Porting or buffing yourself. Selling in EC while you're grouping on your main.

The advent of MQ is when the 4+ boxing started. That's when you had people running their own group. And MQ (or even AHK) is against the rules here anyway.

heartbrand
07-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Red has no recharging

Daldaen
07-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Red has no recharging

Red is also not a classic server.

And the subscription fee was $9.89 to start (cause 989 Studios).

tanknspank
07-23-2014, 01:09 PM
MQs are confirmed classic as hell. Plenty of guilds list raid loot as saying "No Drop Piece to Guild Bank", which eventually got MQed.
I can confirm I bought several JBoot MQs after they were changed.

What's not classic, is MQ sales. Atleast... Not with the prevalence found on this server.
Not the epic MQs, but for example our guild had this one druid who was camping the JBoot ring for what had to have been every waking moment after the change. He sold MQs to most of our guild and I imagine a lot of the wider server population too.

I'm sure if the time spent in classic+kunark had been this long on live, MQ epics would have been very common there. I mean what do you do when you killed every raid boss and you already have epics for everyone and their alts' alts.

You could ban MQ sales I suppose, like they did Character trading. But that may push some to try to sell/buy MQs via RMT.

iruinedyourday
07-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Yea Id rather see MQ go bye bye than anything else that is considered classic. It's just too much.

I mean since we're talking classic not classic here.

zanderklocke
07-23-2014, 01:35 PM
I'm sorry, Niron, but your logic is flawed. Something was possible in classic, just not widely known. Therefore, it should not be possible here.

I mean, shoot, with that logic, game players shouldn't be allowed use Wikis.

Finding out cool tricks that people didn't know about on old games was one of the coolest things about playing games. However, obviously with time, tricks become known to the general majority. Even if we are going off a classic timeline of when these tricks are more widely known, they should have become widely known some time in 2012 based on real time. Creating an environment in which tricks are "removed" due to being known by a wider audience actually removes "classic" mechanics and alters the game from what it is supposed to be.

/opinion

iruinedyourday
07-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Yea - we'll never get a really classic game given the fact that we all have 15 years of knowledge put into it. But so long as someone who boots it up for the first time (like I did 3 or 4 months ago) and goes.. Holy shit! TIHS IS IT! Ohhh omg, ugh the feels... then we're in the right place, doing gods work.

Boxing would affect those people, less level 60 people LFG at level 15 on their alts, less level 10 newbs being invited into crushbone groups etc. Where recharging and (even though I dont like it ) MQ doesn't adversly affect those players... and in some cases the latter may bring a level 60 running through a noob zone which also helps make the game feel classic & populated, so idk. \

still dont like MQ but then again, I haven't sat idle at 60 for 4 months, perhaps I will when that time comes!

HeallunRumblebelly
07-23-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm sorry, Niron, but your logic is flawed. Something was possible in classic, just not widely known. Therefore, it should not be possible here.

I mean, shoot, with that logic, game players shouldn't be allowed use Wikis.

Finding out cool tricks that people didn't know about on old games was one of the coolest things about playing games. However, obviously with time, tricks become known to the general majority. Even if we are going off a classic timeline of when these tricks are more widely known, they should have become widely known some time in 2012 based on real time. Creating an environment in which tricks are "removed" due to being known by a wider audience actually removes "classic" mechanics and alters the game from what it is supposed to be.

/opinion

I'd actually rather like to see how VP pulling would go without recharges and removing spells with ludicrous amounts of threat. Would have to drop your FTE to sneak tag out O_o

Daldaen
07-23-2014, 02:41 PM
I'd actually rather like to see how VP pulling would go without recharges and removing spells with ludicrous amounts of threat. Would have to drop your FTE to sneak tag out O_o

Less necro taggers once Quivering Veil is night time only mebbeh?

I'm doing my best to make it classic. From the sound of it VP is horridly unclassic what with pulling mobs to entrance and whatnot.

Bladestopper nerf would be an interesting one. Would also make Nagafen much less attractive of a kill.

Frieza_Prexus
07-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Would also make Nagafen much less attractive of a kill.

Not necessarily. If anything, Bladestoppers would still command an immense premium because the runes can still be used as part of a super clutch pull. PD pops, and you need to get her now? Use that Bladestopper you've been saving.

Juryiel
07-23-2014, 03:19 PM
I think the staff is currently hard at work on a device that selectively erases all of your memories, both implicit and explicit, from Everquest and other MMOs. It will soon be required to play on the server. In addition, a new .dll will be released that will block your computer from accessing any EQ related websites. The devs have obtained archives of EQ websites and will be releasing information on those websites as it became available during the classic timeline. These soon to be released changes will make things far more classic.

Zalaerian
07-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Chortling hard over reds players generally better player base for not relying on crutch recharging and duck casting

Zalaerian
07-23-2014, 03:47 PM
O and soul fire pally only

loramin
07-23-2014, 04:06 PM
O and soul fire pally only

That one bugs me even more that the MQs. At least the MQs are somewhat "out of sight, out of mind" ... at least until I visit the EC Tunnel forum. But with Soulfire it's like the server rubbing it in my face every time some non-Paladin moron gets one.

iruinedyourday
07-23-2014, 04:09 PM
That one bugs me even more that the MQs. At least the MQs are somewhat "out of sight, out of mind" ... at least until I visit the EC Tunnel forum. But with Soulfire it's like the server rubbing it in my face every time some non-Paladin moron gets one.

I disagree I think its a great quest for anyone to do with a great reward. Its fun to be able to do a quest to become more powerful. Why does it bother people that someone is doing a hard quest enjoying eq? makes no sense to me.

Daldaen
07-23-2014, 04:14 PM
I only think SoulFires are sort of dumb because of how prevalent their use is on raid encounters.

I'm guilty in that regard, I've clicked one or two on tanks and I've used one or two on harder solos/to avoid shitty corpse recoveries... though I'd definitely back a Nilbog change similar to Hoops that just made them paladin only.

Would love to see only Paladins getting shouted out and using them on raids.

iruinedyourday
07-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Would love to see only Paladins getting shouted out and using them on raids.

That is fair I guess... EQ is a game where its all about class rolls so that would be nice to have Pally's be wanted for whatever reason I guess.

As long as I can keep my reaper and recharge then heh.

For me though, on the other hand, such a cool thing is breaking the boundaries of what a rule set imposes upon you when it comes to games like these.

I feel like its coming up with some sweet combo's in magic the gathering where you combine white cards with red cards to make some hilarious and powerful fun result. A Shaman that can charm with rechargeable puppet-srings is OP yes, but so cool - and quite a thing to work towards! It's like once you get there you're some awesome super cool hybrid red mage class made up entirely by emergent gameplay. And you can play how you want you can be a paladin that chan charm named mobs to do things for fun. I think thats cool, and encapsulates the freedom of what EQ and classic MMO's really were, a play how you feel type of thing.

I feel like too many rules that restrict exploitative emergent gameplay is what makes modern MMO's less fun than EQ. I'm not saying everyone has to feel the same way, but that's just my opinion. :)

And on a side note, raiding is basically a time card nonsense thing you just go to get loot and leave. Soulfires arnt what make raiding feel stupid on this server - I've seen 1 soulfire click on 1 raid mob in half a year.

If you want to make raids feel more like classic, since we're all so damn smart and good at this game - increase the HP by like 500% of every raid mob every every year or time someone kills the final boss an expansion or something creative like that. Watching CT get downed in 20 seconds by an average group is pretty dumb :p Again thats just my opinion :)

loramin
07-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Why does it bother people that someone is doing a hard quest enjoying eq? makes no sense to me.

I have no problem with people doing the hard quests that the EQ developers designed for their class, because I like playing classic EverQuest. 99.9% of the time when I play on Project 1999 I feel like I'm playing Everquest; even when I see an anomaly like levitating on boats it feels more like the Everquest devs finally added a patch to fix boats, not like I'm playing on an emulated server.

But did you play Everquest back in 1999-2003? How many non-Paladins did you see acquire Soulfires? That's why it bothers me: every time I see one I'm reminded of the fact that I'm playing Project 1999 and not Everquest.

iruinedyourday
07-23-2014, 04:57 PM
I have no problem with people doing the hard quests that the EQ developers designed for their class, because I like playing classic EverQuest. 99.9% of the time when I play on Project 1999 I feel like I'm playing Everquest; even when I see an anomaly like levitating on boats it feels more like the Everquest devs finally added a patch to fix boats, not like I'm playing on an emulated server.

But did you play Everquest back in 1999-2003? How many non-Paladins did you see acquire Soulfires? That's why it bothers me: every time I see one I'm reminded of the fact that I'm playing Project 1999 and not Everquest.

I did, I'm here for the feels. But my post above explains why I feel that it makes the game EQ and not modern MMO. Emergent hard core exploitation of the mechanics is and always will be classic eq.

pulling that 1 mob by sitting at the corner of another room out of one that is full of 4 or 5.. thats classic eq to me.. finding those little exploits is what makes EQ better than WoW... where the game is designed to fit perfectly in a cookie cutter rule set.

HippoNipple
07-23-2014, 05:05 PM
Come play on red99 Nirgon, we don't have this issue.

Mblake81
07-23-2014, 05:06 PM

Simpler times when not as much information was out there, you can't go back.

captnamazing
07-23-2014, 05:20 PM
If you want to eliminate recharging because it ruins your "classic" experience, then how about you don't recharge? I don't give a fuck if you have to quest up a new Leatherfoot Cap, Midnight Mallet, or camp Groi for an invis ring every time you run out of charges. That's your choice.

Don't ruin a good thing for the rest of us who don't care.

Lisset
07-23-2014, 05:41 PM
Allow me to summarize: Wahh! I wasn't smart enough to know how to recharge on live so nobody should use it here!

Teako
07-23-2014, 05:49 PM
How is group exp buff, loot and scoot, global OOC, and no item loot classic for red again?

I think before we start campaigning for minor things to be changed because "ZOMG CLASSIK!" we *need* to consider the realistic changes that need to happen because it's classic.

I.e. - Monk epic not showing. An entire class's epic is broken atm by not showing it's particle

Rogue epic particle isn't implemented, though proven hundreds fold over to have existed in classic.

Pet exp penalty should be removed by now on the timeline

Sneak/Hide has been posted through the nose to not be working as intended.. unchanged..

Classic resists capped at 255

Atrocious EXP bonuses given to players of red.. global OOC.. "loot and scoot" rules..

Current mob pathing speed is borked all to hell since last patch, mobs that have been confirmed not to move "very fast" are faster than jboots (Raptors, anyone?)

No item loot from your precious twink on red?

Can't pickpocket *most* humanoid mobs?

The Ivandyr's hoop click effect nerf? Not classic

Chickens in OT aren't considered "animal" anymore? Somehow? Even though other "animal" spells work on them, charm doesn't?

Or maybe we could remove Red99 all together, because by "classic" standards most characters there are leveled with a tremendous exp bonus from grouping.. which isn't classic at all.

But you're right, Nerdgon, we need to stop and remove item recharging.. because *that's* what's breaking YOUR classic experience, even though it's 100000000% classic.

Make sure we don't fix the important non-classic stuff, we need to get to work on this game breaking classic mechanic.

sox7d
07-23-2014, 05:50 PM
Recreate the classic experience by changing the drop locations of all quest loot and giving LoIO and dreadlands exp bonuses. I think people filling those zones would be a lot more classic than an accurate ZEM.

Tann
07-23-2014, 05:57 PM
/drama

I think limited boxing should be allowed, like how you can get an IP exemption for running 2 clients here. We all know those people who have their "gf or wife" play are really just 2 boxing anyway. It would help folks with limited off hour play time who wanted to play a non solo friendly class and didn't already have 5 alts with epics.

Would also cut down on small scale RMT, folks wouldn't be dropping $$$ on fungi's if they had a pocket healer.

Ravager
07-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Emergent hard core exploitation of the mechanics is and always will be classic eq.

Nerfing much exploited mechanics was classic too. If item recharging and any class soulfires were as prevalent on Live in 1999-2001 as they are here, I guarantee they would have been nerfed.

R Flair
07-23-2014, 06:03 PM
Feels so much more classic on red without recharging. It really trivializes so much.

iruinedyourday
07-23-2014, 06:05 PM
/rofl

iruinedyourday
07-23-2014, 06:07 PM
Nerfing much exploited mechanics was classic too. If item recharging and any class soulfires were as prevalent on Live in 1999-2001 as they are here, I guarantee they would have been nerfed.

true. idk. I don't think its a problem, but its my opinion. I also think that over time eq started to suck - thanks to all these nerfs you're talking about. So again, the exploitative shit is what makes classic eq a better game than WoW in my opinion.

Kika Maslyaka
07-23-2014, 06:16 PM
Any 100% perfect classic set server will not be true classic experience because people simply know too much what they didn't 12-14 years ago. Just because elite few discovered how to recharge or how to MQ epics, doesn't mean 90% of the population did. Today everyone knows where, what and how. Therefore, it will never be "classic".

The best you can hope for is to create a decent reasonable environment with "whats better for the server" idea in mind. Of course everyone has his own ideas what that is, but mine would be very strict view on:
-No boxing
-No MQ
-No recharging
-No class XP penalties

Kika Maslyaka
07-23-2014, 06:21 PM
true. idk. I don't think its a problem, but its my opinion. I also think that over time eq started to suck - thanks to all these nerfs you're talking about. So again, the exploitative shit is what makes classic eq a better game than WoW in my opinion.

with this logic in mind lets bring back:
-full corpse-item duping
-plat duping
-player charming in Duels/PvP
-exploits that allowed to get mobs stacked while players could keep beating on them with no retaliation.

and many other exploits...

Tann
07-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Any 100% perfect classic set server will not be true classic experience because people simply know too much what they didn't 12-14 years ago. Just because elite few discovered how to recharge or how to MQ epics, doesn't mean 90% of the population did. Today everyone knows where, what and how. Therefore, it will never be "classic".

The best you can hope for is to create a decent reasonable environment with "whats better for the server" idea in mind. Of course everyone has his own ideas what that is, but mine would be very strict view on:
-No boxing
-No MQ
-No recharging
-No class XP penalties

By the end of Velious MQ'ing was pretty widely known, I was able to finish a good chunk of my epic via a guildie lending me a Phinny backbone.

The whole point of what the Dev's are doing, I think, is trying to make it as classic as possible.. Therefore everything on that short list above should be allowed as it was classic, which it already is less boxing.

iruinedyourday
07-23-2014, 06:33 PM
with this logic in mind lets bring back:
-full corpse-item duping
-plat duping
-player charming in Duels/PvP
-exploits that allowed to get mobs stacked while players could keep beating on them with no retaliation.

and many other exploits...

Jesus Christ you people are the worst. Do you all have to take everything so literal and argue about everything?

ffs do you have to spell out every intention when you say anything here? this isn't a design meeting its just people talking.... I was just bringing up some good sides to the soulfire that I stressed were my opinion. Let me have my opinion without trying to trick me into being wrong.

Here, here is a list of things that I like with as much detail as possible so as not to get some petty argument with a stranger:

COUNT LEO NIKOLAYEVICH TOLSTOY was born
August 28, 1828, at the family estate of Yasna-
ya Polyana, in the province of Tula. His moth-
er died when he was three and his father six
years later. Placed in the care of his aunts, he
passed many of his early years at Kazan, where,
in 1844, after a preliminary training by French
tutors, he entered the university. He cared lit-
tle for the university and in 1847 withdrew be-
cause of "ill-health and domestic circum-
stances." He had, however, done a great deal
of reading, of French, English, and Russian
novels, the New Testament, Voltaire, and
Hegel. The author exercising the greatest in-
fluence upon him at this time was Rousseau;
he read his complete works and for sometime
wore about his neck a medallion of Rousseau.

Immediately upon leaving the university,
Tolstoy returned to his estate and, perhaps inr
spired by his enthusiasm for Rousseau, pre-
pared to devote himself to agriculture and to
improving the condition of his serfs. His first
attempt at social reform proved disappointing,
and after six months he withdrew to Moscow
and St. Petersburg, where he gave himself over
to the irregular life characteristic of his class
and time. In 1851, determined to "escape my
debts and, more than anything else, my hab-
its," he enlisted in the Army as a gentleman-
volunteer, and went to the Caucasus. While at
Tiflis, preparing for his examinations as a
cadet, he wrote the first portion of the trilogy,
Childhood, Boyhood, and Youth, in which he
celebrated the happiness of "being with Na-
ture, seeing her, communing with her." He al-
so began The Cossacks with the intention of
showing that culture is the enemy of happi-
ness. Although continuing his army life, he
gradually came to realize that "a military ca-
reer is not for me, and the sooner I get out of
it and devote myself entirely to literature the
better." His Sevastopol Sketches (1855) were
so successful that Czar Nicholas issued special
orders that he should be removed from a post
of danger.

Returning to St. Petersburg, Tolstoy was re-
ceived with great favor in both the official and
literary circles of the capital. He soon became

interested in the popular progressive move-
ment of the time, and in 1857 he decided to go
abroad and study the educational and munici-
pal systems of other countries. That year, and
again in 1860, he traveled in Europe. At Yas-
naya Polyana in 1861 he liberated his serfs and
opened a school, established on the principle
that "everything which savours of compulsion
is harmful." He started a magazine to promote
his notions on education and at the same time
served as an official arbitrator for grievances
between the nobles and the recently emanci-
pated serfs. By the end of 1863 he was so ex-
hausted that he discontinued his activities and
retired to the steppes to drink koumis for his
health.

Tolstoy had been contemplating marriage
for some time, and in 1862 he married Sophie
Behrs, sixteen years his junior, and the daugh-
ter of a fashionable Moscow doctor. Their
early married life at Yasnaya Polyana was
tranquil. Family cares occupied the Countess,
and in the course of her life she bore thirteen
children, nine of whom survived infancy. Yet
she also acted as a copyist for her husband,
who after their marriage turned again to writ-
ing. He was soon at work upon "a novel of
the i8io's and *2o's" which absorbed all his
time and effort. He went frequently to Mos-
cow, "studying letters, diaries, and traditions"
and "accumulated a whole library" of histori-
cal material on the period. He interviewed
survivors of the battles of that time and trav-
eled to Borodino to draw up a map of the
battleground. Finally, in 1869, after his work
had undergone several changes in conception
and he had "spent five years of uninterrupted
andjgxceptionally strenuous labor Tnnierthe
IbesfcondUtions of life/' he published War and
Peace. Its appearance immediately established
Tolstoy's reputation, and in the judgment of
Turgenev, the acknowledged dean of Russian
letters, gave him "first place among all our
contemporary writers."

The years immediately following the com-
pletion of War and Peace were pa**efl in a
great variety of occupations, none of which
Tohtoy found satisfying. He tried busying

VI

BIOGRAPHICAL NOTE

himself with the affairs of his estate, under-
took the learning of Greek to read the ancient
classics, turned again to education, wrote a
series of elementary school books, and served
as school inspector. With much urging from
his wife and friends, he completed Anna Kare-
nina, which appeared serially between 1875
and 1877. Disturbed by what he considered his
unreflective and prosperous existence, Tolstoy
became increasingly interested in religion. At
first he turned to the orthodox faith of the
people. Unable to find rest there, he began a
detailed examination of religions, and out of
his reading, particularly of the Gospels, gradu-
ally evolved his own personal doctrine.

Following his conversion, Tolstoy adopted
a new mode of life. He dressed like a peasant,
devoted much of his time to manual work,
learned shoemaking, and followed a vegetari-
an diet. With the exception of his youngest
daughter, Alexandra, Tolstoy's family re-
mained hostile to his teaching. The breach be-
tween him and his wife grew steadily wider.
In 1879 he wrote the Kreutzer Sonata in which
he attacked the normal state of marriage and
extolled a life of celibacy and chastity. In 1881
he divided his estate among his heirs and, a
few years later, despite the opposition of his
wife, announced that he would forego royal-
ties on all the works published after his con-
version.

Tolstoy made no attempt at first to propa-
gate his religious teaching, although it attracted

many followers. After a visit to the Moscow
slums iri 1881, he became concerned with social
conditions, and he subsequently aided the suf-
ferers of the famine by sponsoring two hun-
dred and fifty relief kitchens. After his meet-
ing and intimacy with Chertkov, "Tolstoyism"
began to develop as an organized sect. Tol-
stoy's writings became almost exclusively pre-
occupied with religious problems. In addition
to numerous pamphlets and plays, he wrote
IV hat is Art? (1896), in which he explained
his new aesthetic theories, and Hadji-Murad,
(1904), which became the favorite work of his
old age. Although his activities were looked
upon with increasing suspicion by the official
authorities, Tolstoy escaped official censure
until 1901, when he was excommunicated by
the Orthodox Church. His followers were f re-
quently subjected to persecution, and many
were either banished or imprisoned.

Tolstoy's last years were embittered by
mounting hostility within his own household.
Although his personal life was ascetic, he felt
the ambiguity of his position as a preacher of
poverty living on his great estate. Finally, at
the age of eighty-two, with the aid of his daugh-
ter, Alexandra, he fled from home. His health
broke down a few days later, and he was re-
moved from the train to the station-master's
hut at Astopovo, where he died, November 7,
1910. He was buried at Yasnaya Polyana, in
the first public funeral to be held in Russia
without religious rites.

CONTEXTS

BIOGRAPHICAL NOTE v

The Principal Characters in War and Peace

Arranged in Family Groups xv

Dates of Principal Historical Events xvi

BOOK ONE

1-5. Anna Sche'rer's soiree i

6-3. Pierre at Prince Andrew's 1 1

9. Pierre at Anatole Kurdgin's. D61ok-

hov's bet 15

10. A name day at the Rost6vs' 18

11-1*4. Natasha and Boris 20

15. Anna Mikhdylovna and Bon's go to the

dying Count Beziikhov's 26

16. Pierre at his father's house; talks with

Boris 27

17. Countess Rost6va and Anna Mikhay-

lovna 30

18-19. Dinner at the Rost6vs'. Marya Dmitri-

cvna 31

20. S6nyaand Natasha. Nicholassings.The

Daniel Cooper 35

21. At Count Bczukhov's. Prince Vasfli and

Catiche 37

22-23. Anna Mikhdylovna and Pierre at Count

Bczukhov's 41

24. Anna Mikhdylovna and Catiche strug-

gle for the inlaid portfolio 45

25. Bald Hills. Prince N. A. Bolkonski.

Princess Mary's correspondence with

Julie Kardgina 47

26-27. Prince Andrew at Bald Hills 51

28. Prince Andrew leaves to join the army.

Princess Mary gives him an icon 55

BOOK TWO

1-2. Review near Braunau. Zherk6v and
D61okhov 60

3. Kutuzov and an Austrian general. ^Le

malheureux Mack. Zherk6v's fool-
ery 65

4. Nicholas and Denisov. Telydnin and

the missing purse 68

5. Nicholas in trouble with his fellow of-

ficers 72

6-8. Crossing the Enns. Burning the bridge.

Rost6v's baptism of fire 74

9. Prince Andrew sent with dispatches to

the Austrian court. The Minister of

War 81

10. Prince ( Andrew and Billbin 83

1 1. Hippolyte Kuragin and les ndtres 86

12. Prince Andrew received by the Emper-

or Francis. Bilibin's story of the Tha-
bor Bridge 87

13-14. Prince Andrew returns to Kutuzov.
Bagrati6n sent to Hollabriinn.
Napoleon's letter to Murat 89

15. Prince Andrew reports to Bagrati6n.

Captain Tiishin. Soldiers at the front.
D61okhov talks to a French grena-
dier 94

16. Prince Andrew surveys the position.

The first shot 96

17. Bagration in action. Tiishin's battery.

Setting Schon Grabern on fire 97
18-19. Battle scenes. Quarrelsome command-
ers. Nicholas injured 99

20. Panic. Timokhirfs counterattack. D6-

lokhov's insistence. Tiishin's battery.
Prince Andrew sent to order him to
retreat 104

2 1 . Withdrawal of the forces. Nicholas rides

on a gun carriage. Tiishin called to
account by Bagrati6n. Prince Andrew
defends him. Nicholas' depression

BOOK THREE

1-2. Prince Vasfli and Pierre. A soiree at
AnnaPa vlovna's. IMene'sname day.
Pierre's marriage 1 1 1

3. Prince Vasili and Anatole visit Prince

N. A. Bolkonski. Princess Mary's ap-
pearance 119

4. Lise, Mademoiselle Bourienne, Mary,

Anatole, and old Bolkonski 122

5. Her father's opposition to Mary's

marrying. She finds Mademoiselle
Bourienne and Anatole in the con-
servatory; declines marriage 126

6. A letter from Nicholas. S6nya and Na-

tasha 128

7. Nicholas visits Boris and Berg in camp.

Nicholas tells of Schon Grabern. His
encounter with Prince Andrew 131

8. The Emperor reviews the army. En-

thusiasm of Nicholas 135

9. Boris visits Prince Andrew; at Olimitz.

Prince Dolgoriikov 137

of danger.

health.

contemporary writers."

VI

BIOGRAPHICAL NOTE

version.

without religious rites.

CONTEXTS

BIOGRAPHICAL NOTE v

BOOK ONE

hov's bet 15

Boris 27

lovna 30

cvna 31

Daniel Cooper 35

Catiche 37

Bczukhov's 41

Julie Kardgina 47

BOOK TWO

D61okhov 60

ery 65

the missing purse 68

ficers 72

War 81

bor Bridge 87

dier 94

The first shot 96

ers. Nicholas injured 99

retreat 104

BOOK THREE

Pierre's marriage 1 1 1

pearance 119

tasha 128

thusiasm of Nicholas 135

Prince Dolgoriikov 137

Tann
07-23-2014, 06:44 PM

http://i.imgur.com/fXKaE.png

iruinedyourday
07-23-2014, 06:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/fXKaE.png

rofl I'm so mad ffs smh

Gaffin 7.0
07-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Jesus Christ you people are the worst. Do you all have to take everything so literal and argue about everything?

ffs do you have to spell out every intention when you say anything here? this isn't a design meeting its just people talking.... I was just bringing up some good sides to the soulfire that I stressed were my opinion. Let me have my opinion without trying to trick me into being wrong.

Here, here is a list of things that I like with as much detail as possible so as not to get some petty argument with a stranger:

of danger.

health.

contemporary writers."

VI

BIOGRAPHICAL NOTE

version.

without religious rites.

CONTEXTS

BIOGRAPHICAL NOTE v

BOOK ONE

hov's bet 15

Boris 27

lovna 30

cvna 31

Daniel Cooper 35

Catiche 37

Bczukhov's 41

Julie Kardgina 47

BOOK TWO

D61okhov 60

ery 65

the missing purse 68

ficers 72

War 81

bor Bridge 87

dier 94

The first shot 96

ers. Nicholas injured 99

retreat 104

BOOK THREE

Pierre's marriage 1 1 1

pearance 119

tasha 128

thusiasm of Nicholas 135

Prince Dolgoriikov 137

of danger.

health.

contemporary writers."

VI

BIOGRAPHICAL NOTE

version.

without religious rites.

CONTEXTS

BIOGRAPHICAL NOTE v

BOOK ONE

hov's bet 15

Boris 27

lovna 30

cvna 31

Daniel Cooper 35

Catiche 37

Bczukhov's 41

Julie Kardgina 47

BOOK TWO

D61okhov 60

ery 65

the missing purse 68

ficers 72

War 81

bor Bridge 87

dier 94

The first shot 96

ers. Nicholas injured 99

retreat 104

BOOK THREE

Pierre's marriage 1 1 1

pearance 119

tasha 128

thusiasm of Nicholas 135

Prince Dolgoriikov 137

loramin
07-23-2014, 07:17 PM
*Post deleted because picking on crazy people is mean.*

iruinedyourday
07-23-2014, 07:17 PM
XD im so mad bro

iruinedyourday
07-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Did it ever occur to you that Kika was making a legitimate argument against your position? Oh no, of course not: it's not that you have terrible ideas, it's that Kika over-reacted to you not spelling things out. Clearly, that's the only logical explanation.

I said with like 12 smiley faces and like 12 "its just my opinion's" so mouthbreathers wouldnt push up thier glases and try to argue with me. It's just my opinion, I'm just saying I like it shrug.

Why ya gotta be so right about this stuff? its just EQ jebuz

SAVE ME JEBUZ

Also Im just trying to entertain :pI hope some people get some good lols out of it. Its how make it through the work day.

loramin
07-23-2014, 07:38 PM
I said with like 12 smiley faces and like 12 "its just my opinion's" so mouthbreathers wouldnt push up thier glases and try to argue with me. It's just my opinion, I'm just saying I like it shrug.

Wait, lemme get that straight. So you said:

I don't think its a problem, but its my opinion. I also think that over time eq started to suck - thanks to all these nerfs you're talking about. So again, the exploitative shit is what makes classic eq a better game than WoW in my opinion.
ie. that fixing exploits ruined EverQuest, with no smileys and a single "it's my opinion", and you didn't expect anyone to try and argue with you because it's just your opinion (stated in a public forum)? And then when someone did, your response was to copy/paste wikipedia?

Do I have that correct?

iruinedyourday
07-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Wait, lemme get that straight. So you said:

ie. that fixing exploits ruined EverQuest, with no smileys and a single "it's my opinion", and you didn't expect anyone to try and argue with you because it's just your opinion (stated in a public forum)? And then when someone did, your response was to copy/paste wikipedia?

Do I have that correct?

dude, it says:

So again, the exploitative shit is what makes classic eq a better game than WoW in my opinion.

in your fucking quote box you dummy

*edit* ... and I copy/pated War and Piece. fwiw.

Tann
07-23-2014, 07:57 PM
dude, it says:

So again, the exploitative shit is what makes classic eq a better game than WoW in my opinion.

in your fucking quote box you dummy

*edit* ... and I copy/pated War and Piece. fwiw.

http://i.imgur.com/bF6Cp.jpg

iruinedyourday
07-23-2014, 07:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bF6Cp.jpg

the dude asked me a quesiton what do you want shrug

Colgate
07-23-2014, 08:42 PM
recharging v dumb/gay mechanic, real glad we don't have it on red

Bazia
07-23-2014, 09:22 PM
recharging stoopid and broken

wuts the point of even having charges at this point just make them all infi click and save everyone the 30secs to recharge

Nirgon
07-23-2014, 09:39 PM
I like that there already filibusters against this

Gaffin 7.0
07-23-2014, 09:51 PM
you got the neckbeards already sweatin mayo nirgon settle down, this could cause suicide

fastboy21
07-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Item recharging abuse has the potential to ruin raiding.

Boxing abuse has the potential to ruin the entire server.

The decision to include some "classic" elements and to exclude others isn't primarily about consistency:

if it were then i would agree entirely that the OP is 100% right to point out that the devs have intentionally been inconsistent (i.e. there are some non-classic features that have been implemented and some classic features that have been intentionally not implemented.)

What is more important than consistency in all decisions regarding classic and non-classic features, regarding what to include or not, is to look at the over all effect on the server when implementing a particular feature.

In my opinion the impact from allowing boxing would far exceed the impact from allowing recharging. The server is better without boxing.

Now, that doesn't mean that the devs should allow item recharging. In fact, I happen to agree with the OP that item recharging has been abused in a way that far exceeds what it was on live. Maybe it should be removed...because it has an overall negative non-classic impact on the server, despite being a classic feature.

Kika Maslyaka
07-23-2014, 10:54 PM
/agree with fastboy21

Zaela
07-23-2014, 11:16 PM
blabber post, click to skip (www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158756&page=8#76)

I.e. - Monk epic not showing. An entire class's epic is broken atm by not showing it's particle

---> http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60080&page=8#78

A "true" classic experience is obviously not deliverable, for the reasons that people bring up every time and many more. Saying (or letting people think) "classic above all" is kind of inevitably gonna be shooting yourself in the foot. At some point you have to draw a line between having a broken/exploitable/trivial game and a technically non-classic one.

I think it's worth considering that EQ was a massive low-budget game. Of course it was bursting with bugs, poor design decisions, unintuitive mechanics, etc etc. The world was too big and there were too many players to really have a good sense of all the things people were doing. And it's not like they had a lot of time to hunt bugs once things got off the ground and they were cranking out expansions every year (and back then, it actually meant putting effort into them).

Taking the buggy mess that the game was on this date and calling it gospel is kinda silly. Yeah, you can dig up all the bugs they fixed and nerfs they made to that date, but it's not like they ever got more than the tip of the iceberg back then. In its own way, hewing close to classic on bug fixes and nerfs would be pretty arbitrary -- we know a lot more about where the bugs and overpowered things are now than they did at the time.

I don't have any particular opinion about recharging (or much of anything) since I'm new here and more interested in design than play. But I will say that given how it works, recharging sounds pretty obviously like a bug brought about by a poor design decision (didja know older clients used the same item field for current charges as they did for stack amount? yeah, their servers probably did too)

tl;dr no one's going to agree whether nostalgia down to the tiniest detail is more important than the feels of having no resources and no information and no 5 years of farming time or not, so don't bother.

Zalaerian
07-23-2014, 11:20 PM
How is group exp buff, loot and scoot, global OOC, and no item loot classic for red again?

I think before we start campaigning for minor things to be changed because "ZOMG CLASSIK!" we *need* to consider the realistic changes that need to happen because it's classic.

Rogue epic particle isn't implemented, though proven hundreds fold over to have existed in classic.

Pet exp penalty should be removed by now on the timeline

Sneak/Hide has been posted through the nose to not be working as intended.. unchanged..

Classic resists capped at 255

Atrocious EXP bonuses given to players of red.. global OOC.. "loot and scoot" rules..

Current mob pathing speed is borked all to hell since last patch, mobs that have been confirmed not to move "very fast" are faster than jboots (Raptors, anyone?)

No item loot from your precious twink on red?

Can't pickpocket *most* humanoid mobs?

The Ivandyr's hoop click effect nerf? Not classic

Chickens in OT aren't considered "animal" anymore? Somehow? Even though other "animal" spells work on them, charm doesn't?

Or maybe we could remove Red99 all together, because by "classic" standards most characters there are leveled with a tremendous exp bonus from grouping.. which isn't classic at all.

But you're right, Nerdgon, we need to stop and remove item recharging.. because *that's* what's breaking YOUR classic experience, even though it's 100000000% classic.

Make sure we don't fix the important non-classic stuff, we need to get to work on this game breaking classic mechanic.

God its good to be us (red). No crutch recharging or duck casting. We're so good at this game. Better at the PVE than the PVErs

Nirgon
07-30-2014, 03:51 PM
Pls no more item recharge, classic experience killer like boxing... see OP

Aveenia
07-30-2014, 04:06 PM
I boxed during Kunark, had a good job & worked at home a lot. My guess is that prohibition has more to do with server resources than anything. Could be wrong.

Also, WIKIs no... alakazham YES!

talian21
07-30-2014, 04:12 PM
Item recharging, and MQ'ing are exploits of an NPC inventory bug/oversight, get rid of.

Haynar
07-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Just let me box when I want to play.

And I will be happy.

H

iruinedyourday
07-30-2014, 06:47 PM
Personally I don't think being able to duo with yourself would pose all that much of a problem, but at the same time I do. Everyone who solos would almost definitely duo with themselves to level two characters at once and be able to take on that many more camps.

However, shit like item recharging when we've been on Kunark for close to three years, is completely out of line with any resemblance of the word "classic". The majority of players were never recharging their items daily or even weekly. Either we can recreate this project for the 1% of players that made up the EQ population that make up 90% of the population here, or we can actually be sensible about things, and draw the line somewhere. Why not just up the charges on some items and remove recharging all together?

Recharging is an exploit of merchant mechanics, just because they didn't fix it on live during this time frame doesn't mean it should be available now. Was the biscuit giving quest in FP available the first week of P99 and then removed after people got level 50 already? That happened live, and probably as many people that knew about recharging vs. not on live were just as equal when that biscuit quest was around.

I want to know more about the biscuit quest, in case I do ever get my hands on a time machine.

Clark
07-30-2014, 08:13 PM
I boxed occasionally in Kunark and Velious, and I believe I recharged an item once or twice during Velious. Both should NOT be enabled on Project1999. Takes away from the server experience IMO.

Swifty
07-31-2014, 08:54 AM
If you want a classic experience, stop recharging and leave the rest of us alone. Dick.

Erati
07-31-2014, 10:12 AM
^agreed

no one is forcing you guys to recharge your items

merchants arnt saying

"Pssssst. Hey. You. Come here. Exploit my inventory."

talian21
07-31-2014, 10:24 AM
Oh grow up, like yer recharging isn't gonna affect the rest of us, esp vis a vis raiding. I'm really sorry if you can't handle a 15 year old elfsim w/o exploiting, but if you really suck at eq that badly, I suggest EZ server.

Nirgon
07-31-2014, 01:07 PM
Just fuckin' tired of raid mobs getting midnight malleted and bursted down.

Feels like I'm playin' some custom server and not live classic EQ.

Ciroco
07-31-2014, 01:12 PM
People don't recharge mallets dude

zanderklocke
07-31-2014, 01:17 PM

I do. :D

Ciroco
07-31-2014, 01:18 PM
That sounds awful.

Swish
07-31-2014, 01:20 PM
Pls no more item recharge, classic experience killer like boxing... see OP

Rhambuk
07-31-2014, 01:34 PM
If you want a classic experience, stop recharging and leave the rest of us alone. Dick.

wonder how many hardcore raiders are gonna quit when this is put in...

Tecmos Deception
07-31-2014, 01:42 PM
Bring it mechanically close. If you still don't get those feels it's your own problem.

This, imo.

I mean, really I can't see how Nirgon is doing anything other than trying to be inflammatory. Comparing boxing to recharging is stupid as shit. Item recharging was rare back in the day because no one knew about it. Just like no one knew that the starting stat recommendations in the official EQ documentation was retarded.

Recreating a classic experience is impossible. It's impossible to do it for even one person, let alone for everyone. But recreating classic mechanics as best as possible and letting players run free in the framework created by those mechanics? That is not only more realistic to accomplish but, in my opinion, more in keeping with the spirit of classic EQ (here's our game: go have fun with it) to boot.

Kekephee
07-31-2014, 01:43 PM

Do you think he's talking about the OT hammer? Cause midnight mallet, which click-procs a slow that tanks use to get fast aggro in raids, definitely gets recharged often on this server

Tecmos Deception
07-31-2014, 01:45 PM
Do you think he's talking about the OT hammer? Cause midnight mallet, which click-procs a slow that tanks use to get fast aggro in raids, definitely gets recharged often on this server

A lot of people think it's too expensive to recharge mallets, and they prefer to go down to the swamp with rubies to get a new one after selling their empty one to a merchant.

Kekephee
07-31-2014, 01:51 PM
A lot of people think it's too expensive to recharge mallets, and they prefer to go down to the swamp with rubies to get a new one after selling their empty one to a merchant.

This is really weird to me. There is an objective answer (which I do not know but it should be easy to figure out) to the question of, which is cheaper, recharging or buying rubies? How much does it cost to recharge the mallet? Rubies are what, 100pp? Whichever option is cheaper, people should be doing that and only that. If it's 50pp to recharge and 100pp for a ruby, the people buying rubies are fools. If it's 300pp to recharge and 100pp for a ruby, someone needs to tell a bunch of warriors in my guild.

Or is it like, because it's more expensive to recharge it, but it's more effort to go into the swamp, lazy people with more money to throw around recharge it, and not-lazy people with less money go do the quest over and over?

Erati
07-31-2014, 01:54 PM
This is really weird to me. There is an objective answer (which I do not know but it should be easy to figure out) to the question of, which is cheaper, recharging or buying rubies? How much does it cost to recharge the mallet? Rubies are what, 100pp? Whichever option is cheaper, people should be doing that and only that. If it's 50pp to recharge and 100pp for a ruby, the people buying rubies are fools. If it's 300pp to recharge and 100pp for a ruby, someone needs to tell a bunch of warriors in my guild.

mallets when sold net you around 70 plat, and then to buy back is 420 ish plat

so as long as you can get a mallet from less than ( Yumyums :P ) 3 rubies then you kinda made the right choice

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
07-31-2014, 01:55 PM
mallets when sold net you around 70 plat, and then to buy back is 420 ish plat

so as long as you can get a mallet from <3 rubies then you kinda made the right choice

Tell us more, brick. Do you really love rubies?

Ciroco
07-31-2014, 01:56 PM
Since you don't always get a mallet, it's only that simple if you know the chance of getting a mallet as a reward. Also, there's a chance to get something better than a mallet, and even the sword vendors well. I don't know the reward rates, but I've always been under the impression that using rubies is cheaper.

Tecmos Deception
07-31-2014, 01:57 PM
Or is it like, because it's more expensive to recharge it, but it's more effort to go into the swamp, lazy people with more money to throw around recharge it, and not-lazy people with less money go do the quest over and over?

Yeah, it's mostly this.

iruinedyourday
07-31-2014, 01:59 PM
What's the objective value to every given person on the server of travelling to swamp and spending the time to quest a new mallet instead of just using plat to recharge one?

sounds like immersion

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/6/1/0/2/7/a3859645-135-Homer%20Drool.jpg?d=1299865791

Kekephee
07-31-2014, 02:00 PM
What's the objective value to every given person on the server of travelling to swamp and spending the time to quest a new mallet instead of just using plat to recharge one?

Yeah that's what I realized when I edited in the last part

Wrench
07-31-2014, 02:05 PM
Nirgon, I know you want a classic experience. Work to make Red a server worthy of playing on. Slay the global OOC, PvP text and Group EXP bonuses first. Then reconsider item recharge on blue.

http://i.imgur.com/679SZTH.png

JRW928
07-31-2014, 02:10 PM
Would a shared bank slot help reduce certain people's need to box? I know some feel a second account is only necessary so they can transfer items to alts.

Rhambuk
07-31-2014, 02:11 PM
Would a shared bank slot help reduce certain people's need to box? I know some feel a second account is only necessary so they can transfer items to alts.

ive never wanted a second account just for transfers. there are probably 10+ people in the tunnel at any time you could trust to do a transfer.

JRW928
07-31-2014, 02:12 PM
ive never wanted a second account just for transfers. there are probably 10+ people in the tunnel at any time you could trust to do a transfer.

The issue is not knowing who the trustworthy people are.

Rhambuk
07-31-2014, 02:18 PM
guildtags, if someone is in a respectable guild and are over lvl 50 theres almost no chance they are going to rip you off.

ive done 10k plat transfers, fungis, etc etc blahblah just /w <trustworthy guild> and shoot a tell, takes me like 10 minutes never had an issue.

there is 0 reason to box on this server

JRW928
07-31-2014, 02:20 PM
guildtags, if someone is in a respectable guild and are over lvl 50 theres almost no chance they are going to rip you off.

ive done 10k plat transfers, fungis, etc etc blahblah just /w <trustworthy guild> and shoot a tell, takes me like 10 minutes never had an issue.

there is 0 reason to box on this server

I'm personally against boxing for any reason, but I know boxing is an issue so I wondered if a shared bank slot might keep at least a small percentage of people from trying to box on this server.

Glenzig
07-31-2014, 02:24 PM
I'm personally against boxing for any reason, but I know boxing is an issue so I wondered if a shared bank slot might keep at least a small percentage of people from trying to box on this server.

No. They will still box. And it really isn't an issue for anyone except the people boxing. They get banned. We keep playing.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
07-31-2014, 02:26 PM
Shares bank slots are also the root of many dupe exploits.

Even if they wanted to they probably still wouldn't due to bugs and such.

iruinedyourday
07-31-2014, 02:30 PM
I love how threads evolve "get rid of these two features to make the game more classic!" -> How about adding a non classic feature?

I'm not attacking anyone don't trip, I'm just having a laugh at life :)

Rhambuk
07-31-2014, 02:30 PM

I just cant see anyone taking the risk of getting banned to do a transfer

JRW928
07-31-2014, 02:38 PM
I just cant see anyone taking the risk of getting banned to do a transfer

I think it would be an incredible waste of an account, but I've overheard at least two conversations while on the boat to Freeport that were about this very subject. Whether the people would actually box in order to transfer money and gear or not, I don't know. But the idea is out there regardless and I'm simply brainstorming a possible solution. The "that's not classic" argument is irrelevant considering there are plenty of non-classic elements on this server.

Tecmos Deception
07-31-2014, 02:45 PM
What's not classic is that none of my RL friends will stick with p99 with me. Dirty fucks.

"THE GRIND, WAHHH!!!!"

iruinedyourday
07-31-2014, 02:49 PM
What's not classic is that none of my RL friends will stick with p99 with me. Dirty fucks.

"THE GRIND, WAHHH!!!!"

I'm pretty sure it's because they can see us form the outside and are like dude, no...

interventions by RL friends for us all is imminent.

and that's classic.

Kekephee
07-31-2014, 03:19 PM

"THE GRIND, WAHHH!!!!"

Nothing more classic than getting your friend to play, giving him a full set or bronze of black iron, starting an alt to play with him, and then after a week he's gone forever

indiscriminate_hater
07-31-2014, 03:43 PM

"THE GRIND, WAHHH!!!!"

seriously. you need to find untainted people who have never played an mmo before to appreciate this game

iruinedyourday
07-31-2014, 04:03 PM
I remember an old girlfriend of mine was into wow - I took that opportunity to re-install EQ to show her how awesome it was! Ill never forget the stink face expression she had on her face while she said, "ugh this looks terrible".

KICKED THAT ONE TO THE CURB!

Tecmos Deception
07-31-2014, 04:38 PM
seriously. you need to find untainted people who have never played an mmo before to appreciate this game

They played on live with me though! :(

fastboy21
07-31-2014, 04:59 PM

in a way, i think one of the reasons why folks are generally so nice to newbies is that we are trying to vicariously experience their EQ virginity through them.

having actual new players around (double points if you are entirely new to mmos) makes EQ so much more fun for everyone. there aren't a ton of folks like that here (I think i recall a poll once showing only on the order of 5% of players here had never played EQ before p99. more if you count folks who never got to max level or played end-game in classic), but there are certainly more folks like that here than on live---for many many years now. p99 isn't perfect, but its the best classic eq experience anywhere.

Lictor
07-31-2014, 05:22 PM

Unemployed gamers seem to excel here as well.

stakha
08-01-2014, 06:29 AM
I'm pretty sure it's because they can see us form the outside and are like dude, no...

interventions by RL friends for us all is imminent.

and that's classic.

haha

Messianic
08-01-2014, 07:54 AM
The logic is completely valid, but the fact is boxing is unique. It does a lot of damage to the social aspect of the game, far and above anything else.