PDA

View Full Version : Two birds with one stone

Duncon
07-30-2014, 11:22 AM
I thought I would share a random muse I had and see what folks have to say about it.

What if you could petition to have your level increased by a GM in exchange for in game platinum? You would just put a petition in the petition forum. A GM would then go to your account increase the level of the toon you indicated and deduct the plat from that toon or any other toon on your account.

It would remove large sums of plat from the economy and it might just remove a power leveler or two from the dungeons of Norath.

It would be a great service to those folks who just cannot tolerate playing the game at certain levels, but a thorn in the side of folks that charge for this service now. Prices could be set high so that there may still be some market and perhaps some people like being Pled so much they will pay someone anyway.

It could even go sort of full SoE and charge in game plat for all sorts of services like name change, race change, sex change etc.

What do you folks think? What should it cost? Should I be banned from posting more thoughts?

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
07-30-2014, 11:25 AM
Ur gon get graped

Bill Tetley
07-30-2014, 11:25 AM
you know the drill everyone!

Not...

Duncon
07-30-2014, 11:26 AM
Hope I see a new animation for the "Not classic"

Whirled
07-30-2014, 11:30 AM
Lots of people will probably yell "Not Classic" (or worse) at you. Nothing wrong with good ideas being bounced around but the mindset is to keep it as close to the original as possible for their vision(s) to be achieved on the servers.

I think we all could make a wish list of things we'd like to see; but for the most part, lots of us are just glad we can log in & enjoy for the X amount of free time we get that day.

BUT...If you get your wish somehow; ask for shared bank slots too, lol~~~~

Dragonsblood1987
07-30-2014, 11:31 AM
you know the drill everyone!

Not...

VEGAN!

..did i do that right?

PDX0621
07-30-2014, 11:36 AM
I think the reason people seek out and choose this particular server is to avoid things exactly like what you described.

Not knocking you, I just think that people come to this server that was created with a very (semi) specific timeline/rule set/goal in mind, and then try and tweak or change it to fit their particular tastes.

In any event, maybe not a bad idea somewhere else, but certainly this isn't the place for it.

Manticmuse
07-30-2014, 11:36 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/3696926/hulk-smashes-loki-o.gif

myriverse
07-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Should I be banned from posting more thoughts?
Perhaps.

Duncon
07-30-2014, 11:45 AM
I think the reason people seek out and choose this particular server is to avoid things exactly like what you described.

Not knocking you, I just think that people come to this server that was created with a very (semi) specific timeline/rule set/goal in mind, and then try and tweak or change it to fit their particular tastes.

In any event, maybe not a bad idea somewhere else, but certainly this isn't the place for it.

I would have to count myself among those people. A couple of the things that sort of break the classic feel for me is the economy, although it’s not near as bad as I would expect given the age of the server. Also I never bumped into Pling to the extent I see it here.

I would hate to see a pay to win, but if you are using plat you earned in game is it really any different than paying someone to PL you, or twinking out an alt?

Rhambuk
07-30-2014, 11:47 AM
http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad326/Kinamur37/Buffy.gif

Ele
07-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Even more incentive for people to "acquire" plat?

Duncon
07-30-2014, 11:55 AM
They are already acquiring plat to pay for PLing.

Ket
07-30-2014, 12:00 PM
I'm actually mildly impressed by the civility of the responses to this query. I thought for sure this would have been automatically moved to RNF in order to open the flood gates of criticism.

Way to stay classy, P99.

-Ket

jarshale
07-30-2014, 12:06 PM
So basically OP wants to start a new wave of rampant RMTing?

Duncon
07-30-2014, 12:09 PM
Followed by a wave of rampant banning. Should be easy to find them since they are paying a GM. Get rid of the scum I say!

Glenzig
07-30-2014, 12:22 PM
I would hate to see a pay to win, but if you are using plat you earned in game is it really any different than paying someone to PL you, or twinking out an alt?

Hmmm. Let me think for just one second. Would paying a GM to insta level your character to 60 be the same as paying a player to spend hours and hours power leveling you, or spending plat on awesome gear for an alt and still having to spend hours and hours leveling that alt?

I think I know the answer, but I'm not sure.

Kergan
07-30-2014, 12:41 PM
I support this, but only if paying blue platinum gives you the levels on a red character.

Duncon
07-30-2014, 12:42 PM
Hmmm. Let me think for just one second. Would paying a GM to insta level your character to 60 be the same as paying a player to spend hours and hours power leveling you, or spending plat on awesome gear for an alt and still having to spend hours and hours leveling that alt?

I think I know the answer, but I'm not sure.

You got me there twinking an alt was a bit overboard. But you would have to wait hours and hours for your petition to be processed. :)

nndiro
07-30-2014, 01:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/k5ADf.gif

Glenzig
07-30-2014, 01:33 PM
You got me there twinking an alt was a bit overboard. But you would have to wait hours and hours for your petition to be processed. :)

Time that would not need to be spent in game.

Duncon
07-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Is being PLed really playing the game?

Ket
07-30-2014, 01:54 PM
If you're in the game, you're playing the game. PL'ing, while lamentable, is still time spent among other members of the community. Seeing as how one of EQ's greatest strengths is its social aspect, anything that detracts from player to player interactions is a subtraction of what makes EQ ...EQ, regardless of the context of that social interaction.

And junk.

-Ket

fadetree
07-30-2014, 01:54 PM
No.

Glenzig
07-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Is being PLed really playing the game?

I didn't say "playing" the game. I said in game. Trust me, if you're so hard up to get to level 60 with minimal effort, spending 3-5 hours a night for a week getting PLed is going to feel like torture. At least you can say that with PLing. Insta 60's, even if the petition took 2 weeks would be essentially painless. Plenty you can do in 2 weeks with other characters in game.

Duncon
07-30-2014, 02:04 PM
I didn't say "playing" the game. I said in game. Trust me, if you're so hard up to get to level 60 with minimal effort, spending 3-5 hours a night for a week getting PLed is going to feel like torture. At least you can say that with PLing. Insta 60's, even if the petition took 2 weeks would be essentially painless. Plenty you can do in 2 weeks with other characters in game.

I know, I was just baiting a little. Everything has a down side, this is kind of a small one, to me at least.

If you're in the game, you're playing the game. PL'ing, while lamentable, is still time spent among other members of the community. Seeing as how one of EQ's greatest strengths is its social aspect, anything that detracts from player to player interactions is a subtraction of what makes EQ ...EQ, regardless of the context of that social interaction.

And junk.

-Ket

Reducing this kind of interaction is sort of the whole idea of this. <Heading into overboard territory> KSing and ninja looting is player interaction too.

iruinedyourday
07-30-2014, 02:45 PM
Hope I see a new animation for the "Not classic"

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25736152/EQ/ncface.gif

Duncon
07-30-2014, 02:52 PM
I am liking the animations so far.

So now that we all agree that this should be implemented immediately. How much should it cost?

Glenzig
07-30-2014, 03:27 PM
I am liking the animations so far.

So now that we all agree that this should be implemented immediately. How much should it cost?

3 sextillion plat.

Duncon
07-30-2014, 03:30 PM
You PLers make that much plat, color me impressed.

Mblake81
07-30-2014, 05:09 PM
Time that would not need to be spent in game.

Outside the playing the class coming up there is not much end game other than dragon rotation, pl and farming.

Time that would not need to be spent coming up.. to dragon rotate, pl or farm :p

I think the appeal back in the day for eq was the MMO 3d world being so fresh to everyone and the low amount of MMO games at the time, you can't go back.

Danyelle
07-30-2014, 07:26 PM
https://img.4plebs.org/boards/pol/image/1387/61/1387618278993.jpg

Whirled
07-31-2014, 09:40 AM
.....you can't go back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0JqC2UDpoE
:D

Mblake81
07-31-2014, 11:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0JqC2UDpoE
:D

I would like the pc game world more if the dev's (not p99 dev's) would push envelopes again and give us reasons to upgrade our machines.

I purchased my first pc(Gateway performance w/ Nvidia Gforce) just for eq. I can't recall the last pc game I have seen that would make me go out and buy a new one,
just upgrade ever so often to stay current but I hope you get my point.

I miss the era and eq was at the tail end of it, at that time when consoles were not capable of playing games like this and I am saddened that the pc world has slipped (imo).

In comparison to console game boxes of the time I took to the sheer arrogance of the pc boxes. We were set apart from the rabble.

As you can see in this example the Greatness beginning to wane.

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q777/Mblake1981/hghghg/2zqr0n7_zps1706db4e.jpg

...you can't go back :p

But you can learn from it, never let the game hand hold the player base.

Keep the game mysterious with it being a struggle, which is what I think prompted me to get that first PC.
Being able to play online with my rl friends and people from around the globe was a big step ahead at the time.

My 17 year old self considered PC gaming "adult". There were not many if at all children playing, mostly college to middle aged adults who could afford a computer advanced enough to run a 3d mmo and online fee's etc.

I would also add that it had proper player size to world object size proportions, that first person view.

Tl/Dr: They created a hostile world filled with pixel beauty and horrors. Unrest was unsettling the first time I zoned in there.

Keep It Real
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q777/Mblake1981/hghghg/Erudite_Male_zpsf8a18116.jpg
Many games of this period were defining, I am not sure what happened but piracy and consolitis are what people usually blame.
(the industry has been fighting Casual (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Casual) War (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/war) 1)
I know first hand that the hardware side didn't slow down. It was as if a great vacuum pulled all the soul out of garth's head :/

Where the OG Dev's at?