PDA

View Full Version : P99 resist system in a screenshot.

Byrjun
07-30-2014, 11:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bkcGPIU.gif

Pheer
07-30-2014, 11:28 PM
lol'd irl

contemptor
07-30-2014, 11:44 PM
I got a root resist on those level 1-5 sailfins in kedge the other day on my 60 druid, was awesome

captnamazing
07-30-2014, 11:53 PM
Next up:
Worker Sledgemallet resists

Hogfather
07-31-2014, 01:17 AM
In b4 is classic stfu nub

SyanideGas
07-31-2014, 01:32 AM
Oh man thats scary.

HeallunRumblebelly
07-31-2014, 01:40 AM

I had dictate resisted by a lvl 30 mob. I don't even understand this world anymore.

Oleris
07-31-2014, 01:54 AM
universal 5% resist rate now btw.

Conky
07-31-2014, 02:37 AM
I had paralysing earth resisted twice in a row by a hill giant at level 60, it's ridiculous.

Lisset
07-31-2014, 02:56 AM

Bet you Malo that orc warrior next time!

Tasslehofp99
07-31-2014, 03:12 AM
Winged Death was resisted by a mob 30-35 levels lower than me recently. That spell is supposed to have a -100 mr resist check.

Funny screenshot though, lol.

Boxten 2.0
07-31-2014, 06:06 AM

khanable
07-31-2014, 06:32 AM

lol

Cecily
07-31-2014, 07:00 AM
Working as intended, as you can clearly see the shaman needing help from others.

Rhambuk
07-31-2014, 08:11 AM
looks good to me.

Daywolf
07-31-2014, 09:48 AM
Needs more Psssshhhh...
(Yeah pew pew, but had to be said)

talian21
07-31-2014, 10:30 AM
If the way that it works now is that the resist check bottoms out at 5%, ie there are no guarantees, and that 95% effective is as good as it gets, I can live with that. Guaranteed can get boring, and I play mostly casters. AC still seems a bit off tho. Greens shouldn't be able to beat the crap outta me like this, lol.

also lol'd irl at that screenshot, hehe

Tuffpuppy
07-31-2014, 10:32 AM
Now I really get that during classic, anything had a chance to resist anything. However an orc warrior should not have a 5% chance to resist a level 60. Should be 1%, maybe even lower. It was so rare.

Purdee
07-31-2014, 10:36 AM
screen shot makes me:

http://i.imgur.com/FQXe5pA.jpg

Daywolf
07-31-2014, 10:41 AM
Yeah it does seem odd. Like I can hardly stick root on a hill giant with a blue con. But then I snare one and he walks inside a rock just as the dots get his health to stop him cold. I cant finish him off, can't see target. Sat there almost 20 minutes waiting for snare to drop lol. Yeah, could have used an aoe, was waiting while killing other mobs, but ~20 minutes on a snare, while pure luck to root a blue con?
Yeah, played live early, I don't remember it like that haha

Dakidd4990
07-31-2014, 11:22 AM
I don't remember this shit happening in classic. Resists are so retarded right now :/

Daldaen
07-31-2014, 12:00 PM
I think the real question here is, why were you even trying to slow an Orc warrior in oasis in the first place?

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
07-31-2014, 12:01 PM
Using max slow no less.

Asap
07-31-2014, 12:02 PM
This is shopped, I can tell by the pixelz

Haynar
07-31-2014, 12:56 PM
I don't remember this shit happening in classic. Resists are so retarded right now :/
Of course you dont remember doing stupid stuff like casting max slow on low level greens at 60. Noone did that. Duh.

H

Byrjun
07-31-2014, 08:15 PM
Of course you dont remember doing stupid stuff like casting max slow on low level greens at 60. Noone did that. Duh.

H

Yeah, stupid me PLing a random group in Oasis while I was bored.

I hope you know the actual spell I was casting is irrelevant. Unless it's something with a resist mod like lifetap or the Druid swarm dot, every spell has the same exact resist rate. I was using Turgur's because it's in the front of my spell book, generates a lot of aggro, and the mana cost doesn't matter with canni.

The resist system is really far from classic EQ. But the primary objective of this thread was humor.

Clark
07-31-2014, 08:20 PM
Can we get resists fixed PLEASE!

Rhambuk
07-31-2014, 08:25 PM
But the primary objective of this thread was humor.

success!

fangz20
07-31-2014, 08:26 PM

H

good excuse =)

Rhambuk
07-31-2014, 08:27 PM

H

reminds me of wizards that would nuke orc pawns in ec right after getting ice comet. did see some great screenshots of them resisting or partial resisting for under 5dmg

blondeattk
08-01-2014, 12:05 AM

H

what a retarded post.

plz tell me this isnt the ave mentality of the developers on this server?

No wonder its going backwards.

Haynar
08-01-2014, 12:14 AM
reminds me of wizards that would nuke orc pawns in ec right after getting ice comet. did see some great screenshots of them resisting or partial resisting for under 5dmg
Having AE'd large amounts of low greens for faction. There were wtf resists. Frequency? I dont have solid numbers.

H

Haynar
08-01-2014, 12:16 AM
what a retarded post.

plz tell me this isnt the ave mentality of the developers on this server?

No wonder its going backwards.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H

Bruno
08-01-2014, 03:15 AM
The most annoying thing for me is Vexing Mordinia resists on low mobs. The waste of mana makes you want to eat a baby. I find myself not even using the spell anymore and just using Bond of Death. At least I can save some mana when that resists.

Mockba1980
08-01-2014, 03:38 AM
When I got a resist with VP necro staff on a junk ghoul, I understood that something was not classic !

Also soloing in Howling Stones south wing was good , doing the same with the new resist patch is like playing the Russian roulette.

GinnasP99
08-01-2014, 04:30 AM

hynch
08-01-2014, 07:15 AM
Let's go to the WoW system where nothing resists and every element deals damage equally to everything.

justin2090
08-01-2014, 07:29 AM
I like it. Makes it more like D&D. Either the orc rolled a 20 or you rolled a 1.

Mockba1980
08-01-2014, 09:04 AM
Let's go to the WoW system where nothing resists and every element deals damage equally to everything.

Nobody wants that, but the resist mechanism needs to be reduced a bit and be similar to what it was on live eq.

kruptcy
08-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Nobody wants that, but the resist mechanism needs to be reduced a bit and be similar to what it was on live eq.

As an enchanter, both charm and root resist less and last longer then they ever did on live. Nukes and slows seem pretty close to classic resist levels. I cant speak to resists for other classes.

feanan
08-01-2014, 09:50 AM
I'm not really sure we can trust anyones "memory" of how things were 14 years ago.

R Flair
08-01-2014, 10:28 AM
That 5% thing is not classic. Heard em use it as an excuse for pvp resist, now pve. Just isn't the way it worked. Only evidence I've ever seen for this post velious.

Nirgon
08-01-2014, 10:40 AM
5% is absolutely classic. I had a pal completely naked resist a conflag from me in pvp on live.

However, there needs to be more investigation into the very core inner workings of how resists are calculated. For instance there are threshold values that I outlined in a post I found to be (actually completely) true regarding resist caps etc. If Haynar's interested I can dig that up again. Basically everything I read from the ex-dev was correct aside from he was a bit shaky on how partials should work... but even that was better than what we had here for a long time.

I'm completely against a decaying skeleton resisting a winged death at this point :). Greens should not necessarily be a free pass to never resist everything in every case, but certain spells should just not be resistable (save damage type immune cases like Phinny vs cold spells) and people are cherry picking those one offs to the current adjustments to try and tear down everything.

My time on the test server doing Velious progression (shorter than I hoped it to be, but still) had resists working EXACTLY as I remember them.

I'd be more than happy to compile results on green con mobs or whatever given that it won't just be another wall of text sitting around.

Haynar has moved things in the right directions but there are one-offs that need to be resolved. I can personally testify that after watching a stream of someone quadding with a wizard on blue @ paw that those resists were working EXACTLY as they should since Haynar's changes. If we could help post one offs that shouldn't happen and be constructive from there, maybe Haynar won't begin to associate helping with the very hard to tackle issues like AC/resists with gettin' trash talked. This shit isn't simple and we don't necessarily have a "how to" guide for getting things exact. Getting things perfect is the goal of this PROJECT, you know its a project right?

Clark
08-01-2014, 10:48 AM

lmao

Daldaen
08-01-2014, 10:50 AM
5% is absolutely classic. I had a pal completely naked resist a conflag from me in pvp on live.

However, there needs to be more investigation into the very core inner workings of how resists are calculated. For instance there are threshold values that I outlined in a post I found to be (actually completely) true regarding resist caps etc. If Haynar's interested I can dig that up again. Basically everything I read from the ex-dev was correct aside from he was a bit shaky on how partials should work... but even that was better than what we had here for a long time.

I'm completely against a decaying skeleton resisting a winged death at this point :). Greens should not necessarily be a free pass to never resist everything in every case, but certain spells should just not be resistable (save damage type immune cases like Phinny vs cold spells) and people are cherry picking those one offs to the current adjustments to try and tear down everything.

My time on the test server doing Velious progression (shorter than I hoped it to be, but still) had resists working EXACTLY as I remember them.

I'd be more than happy to compile results on green con mobs or whatever given that it won't just be another wall of text sitting around.

Haynar has moved things in the right directions but there are one-offs that need to be resolved. I can personally testify that after watching a stream of someone quadding with a wizard on blue @ paw that those resists were working EXACTLY as they should since Haynar's changes. If we could help post one offs that shouldn't happen and be constructive from there, maybe Haynar won't begin to associate helping with the very hard to tackle issues like AC/resists with gettin' trash talked. This shit isn't simple and we don't necessarily have a "how to" guide for getting things exact. Getting things perfect is the goal of this PROJECT, you know its a project right?
Fantastic memories.

Show me proof.

Clark
08-01-2014, 10:52 AM

Nirgon
08-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Fantastic memories.

Show me proof.

Boy I wish there was hard evidence for everything and/or the wayback machine archived everything as it was for the dates it lists.

You realize some things will be recognized as wrong (by hopefully not just me) and we will have to pool our memories on such things?

As you may well know, people will crop up in threads and outright lie to keep things the way they want them. I still don't understand people that want to play on a classic EQ server or brag about their feats on it but want to keep things from being changed to be correct yet not in a way that benefits them.

I'll find write up at lunch :P.

Velerin
08-01-2014, 01:37 PM

Sentence 2 does not justify your statement in sentence 1.
If the pal was level 1 and you were 50 then this would be evidence for truth. Just because the guy is naked doesn't mean he can't resist something.
If he is the same level or close his natural resists should of course give him a chance to resist a spell.

Daldaen
08-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Boy I wish there was hard evidence for everything and/or the wayback machine archived everything as it was for the dates it lists.

You realize some things will be recognized as wrong (by hopefully not just me) and we will have to pool our memories on such things?

As you may well know, people will crop up in threads and outright lie to keep things the way they want them. I still don't understand people that want to play on a classic EQ server or brag about their feats on it but want to keep things from being changed to be correct yet not in a way that benefits them.

I'll find write up at lunch :P.

I agree not everything has lots of evidence for... but I'd think there would be ONE quote or screenshot, where a high level gets resisted by an orc pawn, snake or decaying skeleton.

Scrubosaur
08-01-2014, 02:06 PM

Nice to see someone on the boards that can remember EXACTLY how everything worked back in 1999. If this guy got promoted to admin we would have a classic server EXACTLY how he remembers it from 1999.

Sadre Spinegnawer
08-01-2014, 02:16 PM
spreadsheets of parse logs plz. Because, *that* is the only known thing that is classic in these kinds of debates. Endless spreadsheets.

At least that is what I remember.

http://cdn.meme.li/instances/500x/53191801.jpg

Haynar
08-01-2014, 02:49 PM
The resist changes were all to distract people, so they wouldn't talk about AC being broke anymore.

H

Erati
08-01-2014, 02:50 PM
The resist changes were all to distract people, so they wouldn't talk about AC being broke anymore.

H

reinstate super druid tracking and the Druid society will call it even

Haynar
08-01-2014, 03:10 PM
What is super druid tracking? That something like needing 12 druids in a zone, and you can actually track the whole zone?

Working on some lag issues now, with people who like to kill 120+ mobs in a zone. Back to optimizing code. There is a reason p99's cpu use is like 1/3 of what other servers, with 3x the users. We are just optimization whores.

H

Daldaen
08-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Remove pet windows!!!

Uuruk
08-01-2014, 03:19 PM
nice classic ui

nilbog
08-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Recently on eqlive, I bolted a decaying skeleton to test range of bolt.. with a level 69 magician, and it resisted.

Erati
08-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Recently on eqlive, I bolted a decaying skeleton to test range of bolt.. with a level 69 magician, and it resisted.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Haynar
08-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Remove pet windows!!!
It has been tried. I tried again the other day. Wanted it to be ready when darkness falls across the world of p99. I have not figured it out yet. The issue, is if you drag UI components from the pet window to hot keys, it causes crashes. So trying to figure out different ways to do it.

I still think its doable. And I have made it go away with limited success, but it wont pass my tests for some cases.

H

Haynar
08-01-2014, 03:29 PM
I just replaced the motherboard on my laptop, and getting eqlive installed now. Going to spend a lot of time this weekend when I have nothing to do, nuking greens. Try and come up with some resist rates.

H

Uuruk
08-01-2014, 03:30 PM

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140423215906/vampirediaries/images/b/b2/Mr.T-LOL.gif

koros
08-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Resists were weirdly coded on live. There was a base chance at resists, and it was probably 2.5-5%ish. But things like winged death/pyrocruor never resisted except on mobs that were extremely high level or basically immune...

I bet the logic of the code said that if the mobs effective resist was < 1 than it wouldn't have a base resist chance.

HippoNipple
08-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Watch these nerds get resists fixed so they can debuff level 15 mobs at level 60 while red has wizards using sunstrike for full damage with resists over 200.

Haynar
08-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Resists were weirdly coded on live. There was a base chance at resists, and it was probably 2.5-5%ish. But things like winged death/pyrocruor never resisted except on mobs that were extremely high level or basically immune...

I bet the logic of the code said that if the mobs effective resist was < 1 than it wouldn't have a base resist chance.
Kind of what I am looking at. It could be as bad as 2.5-5%, but that seems like a lot. I set it currently to 1%, and that caused much heartburn. But I also didnt take into account any base resist chance adjustments. I have that in the next iteration, but need to add if mob was debuffed. So I am thinking it really may come down to just capping how much resist chances are adjusted based on level differences between you and mob. That may be what needs a cap it seems like.

H

Haynar
08-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Watch these nerds get resists fixed so they can debuff level 15 mobs at level 60 while red has wizards using sunstrike for full damage with resists over 200.
I am thinking PVP might need a 5% chance to resist spells, on pc vs pc. ... always. But have nothing to back up or justify this.

H

koros
08-01-2014, 04:12 PM
Kind of what I am looking at. It could be as bad as 2.5-5%, but that seems like a lot. I set it currently to 1%, and that caused much heartburn. But I also didnt take into account any base resist chance adjustments. I have that in the next iteration, but need to add if mob was debuffed. So I am thinking it really may come down to just capping how much resist chances are adjusted based on level differences between you and mob. That may be what needs a cap it seems like.

H

I always thought it was 5% because somewhere way back I recall a post about "base chances" being posted by brad. Probably in 99/2000 and lost to time. There's a LOT of forum posts that were likely never archived. It's entirely possible he was only talking the base chance for a fizzle, but I recall it being about a base chance to land a spell (vs non immune), get resisted, or fizzle all being set at 5%. Obviously, take that with a grain of salt.

To be fair 5% does seem somewhat high, but 1/40 doesn't seem very high to me. I can't believe people are complaining about 1/100.

Colgate
08-01-2014, 04:17 PM
I am thinking PVP might need a 5% chance to resist spells, on pc vs pc. ... always. But have nothing to back up or justify this.

H

why are there developers like you and nilbog who say spot on things like this and then never actually take the single hour necessary to fix all of red99's problems?

R Flair
08-01-2014, 04:22 PM

tldr

Has nothing to do with 5% anything, thats just how resists worked. You'd fully resist other players spells much more often than 5% of the time too. If you had 100+ in a save you would get complete resists all the time. People actually had to use debuffs.

HippoNipple
08-01-2014, 04:33 PM
tldr

Has nothing to do with 5% anything, thats just how resists worked. You'd fully resist other players spells much more often than 5% of the time too. If you had 100+ in a save you would get complete resists all the time. People actually had to use debuffs.

Whether the 5% is referring to a floor or ceiling it isn't disputing that people resisted almost everything with high resist gear.

In this instance, with a low level orc, it is referring to a 5% floor meaning there is only a 95% chance of the debuff landing even with the huge level difference and low magic resists of the mob.

stakha
08-01-2014, 05:12 PM
to haynor and all the other developers: i just want to say thank you for all the effort and hard work you all put into this project. no matter what some may complain about, what you do is very much appreciated.

Haynar
08-01-2014, 05:18 PM
why are there developers like you and nilbog who say spot on things like this and then never actually take the single hour necessary to fix all of red99's problems?
My spot on things, are a guess. I just hate messing with red, because I have always gotten the feel that it was off limits. Probably self created feeling.

Because I do not know what r99 problems really are. I did not play on a red server on EQlive, so I don't know what is needed, what requests are valid, what bugs are valid.

Because of where my expertise lies, I tend to focus on pve and mechanics.

H

GnashingOfTeeth
08-01-2014, 05:36 PM
I appreciate all the hard work that the devs and GM's do.

I still think the resist system is not right. Played way to much from 99-2004, and if it was like this, I would have quit.

I am just not that patient.

Jizzebel
08-01-2014, 05:38 PM
I appreciate all the hard work that the devs and GM's do.

I still think the resist system is not right. Played way to much from 99-2004, and if it was like this, I would have quit.

I am just not that patient.

Of course , 10 years later - Its easy to say you would have quit.

Clark
08-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Omg thank you resists have been so incredibly fucked up.

Fael
08-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Haynar,

Not sure if it has been pointed out. But Lures should never partial. Its all or nothing.

That was my memory having played a 60 wiz in kunark. I also have a link to an old website that provides confirmation.

Dolic

GnashingOfTeeth
08-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Of course , 10 years later - Its easy to say you would have quit.

Its easy for you to post that. I did quit, I was a eq junkie and I didn't like where it went after POP.... i quit. I was not happy about it either.

The relevant point is, resists are not right.

Haynar
08-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Yeah no one ever pled anyone with high level spells, on live, ever. Definitely never.

Try taking constructive criticism less personally. Most of the devs and gms who werent able to do that aren't here anymore...
You used your lowest level slow to PL. Mana pools were small. Mana regeneration even smaller.

Here's your sign.

H

Colgate
08-01-2014, 07:11 PM
My spot on things, are a guess. I just hate messing with red, because I have always gotten the feel that it was off limits. Probably self created feeling.

Because I do not know what r99 problems really are. I did not play on a red server on EQlive, so I don't know what is needed, what requests are valid, what bugs are valid.

Because of where my expertise lies, I tend to focus on pve and mechanics.

H

you can be the hero that red99 needs but doesn't deserve

Daldaen
08-01-2014, 07:31 PM
you can be the hero that red99 needs but doesn't deserve

Or... he can actually work on a server that people play on.

Byrjun
08-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Wanted it to be ready when darkness falls across the world of p99.

Please not forced classic UIs. I'm all for removing maps, compass window, target rings, etc. but I don't think I could put up with a forced classic UI.

I have that in the next iteration

Hopefully level-based resisting is altered a bit in that iteration... ie. anything above a dark blue resisting too much, and things 63+ being nearly impossible to land spells on, and 70 being spell immune.

You used your lowest level slow to PL. Mana pools were small. Mana regeneration even smaller.

I'm a shaman, what's a mana pool?

Clark
08-01-2014, 07:48 PM

loramin
08-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Back to optimizing code. There is a reason p99's cpu use is like 1/3 of what other servers, with 3x the users. We are just optimization whores.

That's kinda funny, because the trend in our industry is to not waste developer time on any problem that can be solved by throwing hardware at it. The logic being that software developers are expensive, so it doesn't take long before the cost of their time > the cost of new hardware.

Of course, when all the developer time is free I guess it kinda changes the equation :)

Scrubosaur
08-01-2014, 10:59 PM

Screen shot or it didn't happen! Or possible the skeleton went behind something or went down a hill out of LoS? If I remember right bolts were pretty special and needed a straight shot with nothing in the way to hit. It might be coded on live to act as a resist if the bolt goes off but mob moves out of LoS.

Ikonoclastia
08-01-2014, 11:10 PM
It's really not that much of an issue. I screenshotted every resist of green con life tap and leech line over about a month. Have like 10 screenshots so it's not a common occurrence.

Colgate
08-01-2014, 11:12 PM
Or... he can actually work on a server that people play on.

red99 had over 700 people day 1, half of them quit because they were bluebies who couldn't hang and then 300 more quit because no one fixed the issues on the server

Visual
08-01-2014, 11:28 PM
no one fixed the issues on the server

like how they fixed blue?

Tenlaar
08-01-2014, 11:31 PM
red99 had over 700 people day 1, half of them quit because they were bluebies who couldn't hang and then 300 more quit because no one fixed the issues on the server

So you're saying red is a 50 pop server and he should work on a server that people play on?

Haynar
08-01-2014, 11:58 PM
I usually work on what I want. Exceptions are when Rogean asks me to focus on something specific, or there is a significant bug that needs to be addressed.

H

Rhambuk
08-02-2014, 01:34 AM
I usually work on what I want. Exceptions are when Rogean asks me to focus on something specific, or there is a significant bug that needs to be addressed.

H

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/24298086.jpg

georgie
08-02-2014, 04:35 AM
LOL