PDA

View Full Version : I have a simple question about choosing the right weapons for a monk. Please read.

Bleezar
08-04-2014, 12:46 AM
Hi! My name is Doubletap. I'm here because I wanted to get together with a larger audience of my peers on p1999 in the hopes of getting the best feedback possible.

My question is simple: "How do you decide the best weapon for your monk?

At the moment, I'm just using two Trance Sticks. It was all I could afford, really. While using these I feel like I'm playing a character with a handicap. I want to buy a new weapon that gives me the opportunity to get the most out of this amazing class. I have around 240 p and I don't know if I should go Two Hand Blunt or Unarmed, or just stick with One Hand Blunt.

If I could, I'd like to ask you your take on Monk weapons. I'm really curious in the benefits and con's of just a Two Hand Blunt as opposed to Hand To Hand : things of that nature. What do/did you use around my level ( Level 30 ?

Just here seeking some more information. I know I'm a noob and I'm sorry. I hope you don't feel I wasted your time. I'm just here trying to educate myself further therefor when I finally do have enough money for a decent monk weapon, I'll know what best to buy.

So, what would you choose to use as a monk around level 24? Would really appreciate it if you went into detail as to why you think I should choose a certain combat style to stick with and if you used this combat style on your own before as a reason, I'd like to know how it panned out for you.

On a side note, what weapon(s) would you recommend me trying to quest for or purchase ( please remember I don't have just boat loads of cash. I have to have around 250 in the bank and that's all ), that follows the combat style you recommended or preferred?

Sorry for rambling. Just anxious to get my question out there so I'll know more sooner.

1hb
2hb
Hand to Hand
Other.

Thanks for listening.

Taeoz
08-04-2014, 01:12 AM
After having done similar research few weeks back on these boards and elsewhere and taking budget into consideration - it would seem that good way to go is:

- Trance sticks until 20, as they're fast and your damage is capped.
- At 20 (you lose dmg cap), switch to Wu's Quivering staff, as it's cheap and has great ratio
- When you have more money, upgrade to IFS/Peacebringer
- Final upgrade is to have epic/Stave of Shielding

From what I've understood, is that the damage bonus on MH kicks in fairly late and it takes a while to get really good - so having a fast weapon in your MH won't do much good until much later. And 2HB weapons have great ratios and are affordable.

But take this with a grain of salt, as this is second hand information.

Oh, and some pros/cons to consider:

Dualwielding:
- Hurts when against DS'd mobs
- More agro
+ Damage output stays somewhat constant

2HB:
- Damage output can vary a lot based on RNG
+ Big hits feel good

thieros
08-04-2014, 08:27 AM
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwLk00fzuQQMcElKYTJtaGVsanM/edit

zanderklocke
08-04-2014, 10:47 AM
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwLk00fzuQQMcElKYTJtaGVsanM/edit

That spreadsheet is awesome.

I wish that existed for every class and carried into Velious as well.

Shodo
08-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Typically you want a Wu's Quivering Staff at your level. Best bang for your buck untiln you're ready to buy 4-5k+ weapons. Hang onto the trance sticks though - they're great for aggro, and the procs at 35 are always fun.

Man0warr
08-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Wu's Trance Sticks until 10 (damage cap of 20 is removed)
Wu's Quivering Staff until 20 (damage cap of 28 removed)
Peacebringer/whatever until Epic/Stave of Shielding

thieros
08-04-2014, 12:05 PM

theres a warrior one floating around, https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwLk00fzuQQMZ3VlbjBhd0ZVd2c/edit , but thats the only 2 i know. Any sighting on a template, raw source, or another class?

why the f are these .pdf's?!

Swish
08-04-2014, 01:17 PM
If you see a t-staff monk on red, run asap :p

thieros
08-04-2014, 04:42 PM

So i put one together for Kunkark Shadowknights (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Y3S899KhDC8Pm7PNMzw69pKywLrhxJcFy7AUx9yWZx0/edit?usp=sharing)

it occurs to me i know nothing about skill limits, double attack percentage, how much DPS bash is & damage bonus of 2h/1h

Anyone know:
- How damage bonuses are computed
- Bash/Slam dps, or how bash damage is computed and its delay

Varren
08-04-2014, 07:31 PM
pure classic, baby. h2h until you can scrounge yourself a weapon.

jarshale
08-04-2014, 09:49 PM
2hb. I love my staff of battle on my monk.

Yinikren
08-04-2014, 10:47 PM
So i put one together for Kunkark Shadowknights (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Y3S899KhDC8Pm7PNMzw69pKywLrhxJcFy7AUx9yWZx0/edit?usp=sharing)

it occurs to me i know nothing about skill limits, double attack percentage, how much DPS bash is & damage bonus of 2h/1h

Anyone know:
- How damage bonuses are computed
- Bash/Slam dps, or how bash damage is computed and its delay

Double attack and DW percentages are (Level+skill)/500. So a 60 SK would have a 59% (60+235/500=.59) chance of double attacking each combat round.

2H damage bonus is somewhere on the forums. I don't feel like digging for the code - it's fairly complicated.

Slam is supposed to be an equivalent hit with a 2 damage weapon, Bash is supposed to be 4.