PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Separate thread: Spell casting should go through walls

Nirgon
08-11-2014, 12:19 PM
We've brought this up in other threads but part of the experience of being a caster (aside from having to deal with dispelling/debuffing targets) was that you could cast detrimental spells on players through walls once you have a target much like you could with healing spells. I suppose the client at the time didn't discern the difference between beneficial and detrimental and just checked for target being player.

I mean glhf on finding evidence on this, I've started looking. Hopefully some vets can come out of the wood work and bump and put any personal interests aside.

The resist fix is going to hurt some and its already a challenge fighting in tough indoor areas against melees... this classic change does even the playing field and introduces some gr8 variations of bind sighting people/running in to grab a target for a group and retreating etc :) (aka makes turtling hard/impossible because someone will snipe a target faster than you and start a dispel/debuff/spell damage assist train <- this is a good thing).

Thx~

Haynar
08-11-2014, 01:13 PM
The AC changes should make tank classes take less dmg. The cloth wearers are going to take a beating. Should be interesting.

Have to wait and see what needs adjusted next.

LoS checks suck to mess with.

H

Nirgon
08-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Ya and considering water should block but not line of sight otherwise... bet this is a fun one for you :).

Haynar
08-11-2014, 01:44 PM
We have different los code, where we can tell difference between solid surface and that of a water/air surface.

H

Daldaen
08-11-2014, 02:17 PM
My recollection of LoS (for PvE), is that it varied based on the outdoor/indoor status of a zone.

For example outdoor zones, you shouldn't require line of sight to cast detrimental spells on mobs. This is why you could pull through walls and why you could get nuked to hell in Unrest.

Also that is why you didn't have to worry about hills or trees like you do on P99.

But indoor zones required LoS for detrimental spells. The exception to this being something like a Mage bolt.

But again, getting proof on this is tough.

Grimjaw
08-11-2014, 02:59 PM
I recall on classic indoors (solb) only needing LOS to START casting on players. I dotted Gylen as he ran past, ended while thru a few walls for a killshot. That was one of the ways necros got kills back in the day!

this was shortly after kunark release

NotKringe
08-11-2014, 06:07 PM
We've brought this up in other threads but part of the experience of being a caster (aside from having to deal with dispelling/debuffing targets) was that you could cast detrimental spells on players through walls once you have a target much like you could with healing spells. I suppose the client at the time didn't discern the difference between beneficial and detrimental and just checked for target being player.

I mean glhf on finding evidence on this, I've started looking. Hopefully some vets can come out of the wood work and bump and put any personal interests aside.

The resist fix is going to hurt some and its already a challenge fighting in tough indoor areas against melees... this classic change does even the playing field and introduces some gr8 variations of bind sighting people/running in to grab a target for a group and retreating etc :) (aka makes turtling hard/impossible because someone will snipe a target faster than you and start a dispel/debuff/spell damage assist train <- this is a good thing).

Thx~

Nirgons spot on with direct dmg not having line of sight after initial start... The horror of being ice cometed from the entrance of lower guk, while I was running down thru the bats to the skeletons when it hit you...

Now Bolts most certainly didn't work this way, but every other spell worked the same... Including dots etc..

Nirgon
08-11-2014, 06:14 PM
I mean does not require line of sight to start or finish once in range with them targeted. Looks a lil taken out of context.

Potus
08-12-2014, 01:07 AM
The AC changes should make tank classes take less dmg. The cloth wearers are going to take a beating. Should be interesting.

Have to wait and see what needs adjusted next.

LoS checks suck to mess with.

H

Wait what? I thought AC changes were part of a nerf to melee hit rate in PvP?

You're actually buffing melees on Red? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Haynar
08-12-2014, 01:12 AM
Wait what? I thought AC changes were part of a nerf to melee hit rate in PvP?

You're actually buffing melees on Red? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

No. I am making AC work. I saw AC drop melee dmg in half at upper end of AC. Cloth wearers will take different dmg than plate wears. Velious gives a lot more ALL/ALL AC gear. And monks become gods.

H

Potus
08-12-2014, 01:17 AM
No. I am making AC work. I saw AC drop melee dmg in half at upper end of AC. Cloth wearers will take different dmg than plate wears. Velious gives a lot more ALL/ALL AC gear. And monks become gods.

H

Oh ok gotcha.

Kergan
08-12-2014, 01:22 PM
I distinctly remember getting hit with spells through walls in SolB and Guk. Memory is a little hazy though on if LoS was required to start or not though, but definitely not required to finish.

Potus
08-12-2014, 08:08 PM
LoS was not needed initially in PvP. It was patched in, should probably be a patch message somewhere.

Nirgon
08-12-2014, 08:11 PM
Potus we're gonna make dat necro of yours strong in pvp one way or anotha pal

8]

I'm beyond certain on not required to start or finish.

Best source of evidence for your memories? People getting killed in the banks in game. It was common practice for some dirt bag to run in, target someone, run to a place where the guards would not aggro and begin spamming nukes down onto the bank pal.

Why didn't everyone lose all their gear? Well, friendly pals in the bank would be quick to hold your corpse for you and foil the efforts of the PK(s).

Haynar
08-12-2014, 08:11 PM
LoS was not needed initially in PvP. It was patched in, should probably be a patch message somewhere.
But its in client. Server side also checks. But client requires los to start casting. Dunno how hard that is to find and fix.

H

Technique
08-12-2014, 08:31 PM
SEPTEMBER 4, 2002

Line of Sight Changes:

For spells that require Line of Sight (LoS), the LoS check is now at the beginning of the spellcast, not the end.
Spells that require but do not have of LoS will now fail immediately.
Harmful spells require LoS.
Most Beneficial spells still do not require LoS.
Bind Sight type spells do not require LoS.
Any beneficial spell containing a Cancel Magic component requires LoS.

http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20020904.html

derpcake
08-14-2014, 11:53 AM
http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20020904.html

Great post.

From that same link "Changed Specter pets so they're able to equip items and armor"

Please make the 39+ necro pets dual wield without weapons. As per the above spectres shouldn't be able to use items yet, and since pets won't dual wield without items on red99, I guess this explains why the 59 pet is reported to be terrible on red99.

Would parse it but 58 solo is tedious. Getting there tho :)

Nirgon
10-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Technique with da patch note 4 this. Pras.