PDA

View Full Version : Official word on programmable keyboards?

mev
08-23-2014, 03:02 PM
One wiki guide (http://wiki.project1999.com/The_Techie%27s_Bard_AE_Kiting_Guide) on bard AoE kiting recommends using a programmable keyboard to make the circling process less carpal-tunnel-inducing and more reliable. There is some disagreement as to whether or not this is allowed by P99's rules. I don't want to break any rules, but I would like to try it out if it is allowed.

As far as I can tell, the closest server rule that would disallow it would be the rule against third party programs: "The use of any third-party programs on Project 1999, including but not limited to, Macroquest/Macroquest2(MQ/MQ2), ShowEQ(SEQ), or any other program that interacts with the Everquest Titanium Client, is strictly prohibited."

The way I read this, any program that directly interacts with the client (eg, reading or sending packets between the client and the server or reading or changing memory in the EQ process) is forbidden. A programmable keyboard, on the other hand, doesn't know that EQ exists at all, and it's just sending key strokes to the operating system like any other keyboard.

So, is there any official word on whether using a programmable keyboard to circle around is allowed or not?

Thanks!

Swish
08-23-2014, 03:35 PM
Some people use console controllers, some people use those fancy mice with buttons on the side/underneath/etc :p

I don't see why one of those keyboards would be any different as long as you're not going full automation/botting.

Thulack
08-23-2014, 03:55 PM
aslong at your at the PC when using the keyboard should be fine. Just cant set it up to do anything while your AFK or they will get you.

fastboy21
08-23-2014, 03:56 PM
If you aren't afk and not doing anything you couldn't do manually then you are prob okay.

Having said that, as a bard myself, it wouldn't be easy to macro a circle kite...doing it manually I often have to skew my circle to avoid getting hit and to land the AE. Any lag and you would surely die without a manual adjust as well.

There are other good uses though for a programmable keyboard or mouse.

Pringles
08-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Ive always understood programmable keyboards/mice/nostromos were fine, as long as you arent using them AFK. They do not alter the game / inject themselves in it, they just press buttons for you.

Bboboo
08-23-2014, 07:06 PM
1 action per keystroke and no automation (auto firing) I believe.

new player
08-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Might have to look into this!

mev
08-24-2014, 09:58 PM
Ah, it seems like there was another thread (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153348) about this already. No one from staff stepped in there either, but folks did bring up that SoE explicitly allowed it during classic, and Derubael had previously said that programs are okay in most cases as long as they don't manipulate the client itself. So, it looks like it's probably okay unless someone else steps in saying otherwise.