PDA

View Full Version : HHK, Left Goblin Ears and Rogues

Cyph
08-25-2014, 01:49 AM
Hi all,
I'll try to keep this as short as possible. Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed a number of Rogues hanging around the goblin groups in HHK, pickpocketing the ears from the goblins. Now, many already have a suspicion to Rogues in their group pickpocketing these ears but it seems that others want to get in on the action as well. I'll drop names, Bilbeau (Knights Who Say Ni) has been doing this for a number of nights recently. After trying to get him to move on without GM intervention for the past couple of incidents, I petitioned him earlier today and the GM, who promptly appeared, moved him on. Funny enough, one of the group members with me at the time mentioned that he was doing the same thing when he was playing his alt in January!

Obviously this behaviour is annoying at best but at worst it affects XP (from the quest) but also valuable PP for newbies hoping to get some decent PP from selling these. Based on these, and the 'Play Nice' policy, I would consider this a direct breach of the rules governing the server.

Could we get some GM responses on this so hopefully this pathetic practice can be dealt with.

Thanks!

Kekephee
08-25-2014, 02:05 AM
Hi all,
I'll try to keep this as short as possible. Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed a number of Rogues hanging around the goblin groups in HHK, pickpocketing the ears from the goblins. Now, many already have a suspicion to Rogues in their group pickpocketing these ears but it seems that others want to get in on the action as well. I'll drop names, Bilbeau (Knights Who Say Ni) has been doing this for a number of nights recently. After trying to get him to move on without GM intervention for the past couple of incidents, I petitioned him earlier today and the GM, who promptly appeared, moved him on. Funny enough, one of the group members with me at the time mentioned that he was doing the same thing when he was playing his alt in January!

Obviously this behaviour is annoying at best but at worst it affects XP (from the quest) but also valuable PP for newbies hoping to get some decent PP from selling these. Based on these, and the 'Play Nice' policy, I would consider this a direct breach of the rules governing the server.

Could we get some GM responses on this so hopefully this pathetic practice can be dealt with.

Thanks!

I don't remember when in the live timeline rogue pickpocket gets its own separate loot table, but hold onto that little shred of hope that maybe someday you won't have to care about rogues pickpocketing. I know I do.

Stealing high-demand noob items like ears is pretty extra lame, but classic as hell. One of the reasons why rogue was always one of the most fun roleplaying classes.

Edit: For clarity I should say, I think it's really shitty that he's doing that and I hope he stops.

bktroost
08-25-2014, 02:21 AM
Um... what is the point of pickpocketing then? He's a rogue... doesn't lore mean anything to you? Dastardly rogues pickpocket, it's what the ability was invented for. Unless he is following you around pickpocketing every mob you engage, then what's the issue? Kill em and have them respawn.

Bboboo
08-25-2014, 02:25 AM

Thanks!

Didn't you just say a GM moved him along?

Cyph
08-25-2014, 02:26 AM
Yeah, he was sticking around the group pickpocketing every mob we engaged. For hours on end...

Yes, the GM moved him on this time but I'm sure he'll be back again. Or there'll be another rogue doing it. In fact, by posting this, I've probably just made matters worse cause now there will be more rogues hiding there :P

SpangoNuts
08-25-2014, 06:15 AM
Rogues doing rogue like things, whatever next?
Should have made it so they could be attacked until they zone if picking from another groups kill.

Swish
08-25-2014, 07:10 AM
It's still more time efficient to get on your main, get some loot in COM/KC/Seb/wherever, and use that cash to buy the lowbies goblin ears.

Everybody wins that way.

I have a rogue and I've never abused pickpocketing (what's left of it, already nerfed hard).

Ravager
08-25-2014, 07:31 AM
I'm upset that the GM moved the rogue along. Back in seb a rogue not in group was pickpocketing my group's engaged bugs ( when it was possible) and the GM response was "that's what rogues do".

Xadion
08-25-2014, 09:28 AM
I think pick pocking engaged mobs that are not your group is IMO akin to KSing or attempting to

The engagement of a mob is for the entire aspect of the encounter and situation- the EXP, the loot and the fun of the encounter- a rouge out of group that engages a mob trying to take away part of the total engagement of the mob should be seen the same as a person KSing EXP/attempting to take the EXP.

"Its what rouges do" well... what if a super high level comes into the lower area and just starts WTF pwning mobs and taking the kill/exp -? he is a super adventurer slayer of gnomes, gnolls, goblins and all things starting with G- its what he does!

Role playing is the reason? okay fine...but open that door slowly- I am a Shadowknight- your a pally? Ima train you to death because I am role playing it fits with my lore...

Mob standing there, not engaged or pulled? sure rouge go for it!

Mob engaged with not your group? - your a douche.

Ravager
08-25-2014, 09:51 AM
I just wish there was some consistency on how rules are made here. I know people aren't perfect, and all gms are different, it's just frustrating when one day a situation is treated one way and on another day, the exact same premise is handled differently. But it is what it is and I'm not losing sleep over it.

indiscriminate_hater
08-25-2014, 10:05 AM
This game is going to get lawyered out until it loses all resemblance of classic eq. Smh danny glover style right now

Whirled
08-25-2014, 10:07 AM
Yeah, he was sticking around the group pickpocketing every mob we engaged. For hours on end...

I think pick pocking engaged mobs that are not your group is IMO akin to KSing or attempting to

Should have made it so they could be attacked until they zone if picking from another groups kill.

That'd be pretty cool - Any pickpocket would flag them PvP for X amount of time ^or as mentioned until zoning.

Ele
08-25-2014, 10:08 AM
rogues gonna rogue

Swish
08-25-2014, 10:09 AM
This game is going to get lawyered out until it loses all resemblance of classic eq.

Whirled
08-25-2014, 10:14 AM
How long until someone starts AE'ing this zone too?

Velerin
08-25-2014, 11:09 AM
A smart rogue would just run by and pickpocket w/o looking like he really is. If he's just sitting at your group obviously doing it that's kinda lame. Best bet is to try and lose agro somehow (FD, etc.) and let the mob kill him. Risk vs. reward!

Ele
08-25-2014, 11:11 AM
60 rogue lfg for fungi king PST

bktroost
08-25-2014, 12:04 PM
I just want to know what the purpose of the ability "pickpocket" is then. Pallys don't have a "save a kitten from a tree" ability, SKs don't have a "train a group" button, rogues have just a few abilities and one is pickpocketing. If you pickpocket in a group you get kicked out of the group...seems the only time to pickpocket is on another person's group...otherwise, when would you use this ability?

Glenzig
08-25-2014, 12:06 PM
I just want to know what the purpose of the ability "pickpocket" is then. Pallys don't have a "save a kitten from a tree" ability, SKs don't have a "train a group" button, rogue have just a few abilities and one is pickpocketing.

Would it be cool for a rogue to pickpocket a raid mob while its being killed?

Daldaen
08-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Would it be cool for a rogue to pickpocket a raid mob while its being killed?

Dunno what non-magic item you think a raid mob has that's worth pickpocketting? And isn't the max level of pickpocket like 55?

evilkorn
08-25-2014, 12:15 PM
Can't PP king, but I get the joke. I don't think rogues are even part of the 3 man king farm people have going on now. But it's been months for me doing king as a rogue, I think some people still have a real full group there sometimes though.

Rogue immersion is at an all time low right now with MQ's for epics in the mid 20k's. This is a classic complaint for a classic mechanic (all be it's somewhat broken atm).

ISIN (International Stabbers in Norrath) would like to speak with the GM's about not being labeled a terrorist organisation and further action against non violent rogues may be met with organised non violent protests and HHK sit-ins.

Duncon
08-25-2014, 12:30 PM

Agreed!

indiscriminate_hater
08-25-2014, 12:30 PM
Dunno what non-magic item you think a raid mob has that's worth pickpocketting? And isn't the max level of pickpocket like 55?

faydedar, sea dragon meat. mother of god

bktroost
08-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Correct and correct.meaning you can only pick off lesser value gems and quest items....or apparently not since we are petitioning rogues for picking these mobs out of group..the only time someone can actually pickpocket mobs.

Ravager
08-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Molten Cloak, Large Soiled Bag, Light Burlap Sack. GBS could be disarmed, though that would never be an issue. I can't remember them all, but there's a number of decent items that a rogue could potentially get his sticky fingers on in theory, but I never went around trying it out.

Glenzig
08-25-2014, 12:44 PM

More of a hypothetical situation. I'm sure even though there is no value in pickpocketing a raid mob, that whichever guild was engaged on the mob would still flip their lid if a rogue tried to pickpocket it while engaged though.

bktroost
08-25-2014, 12:50 PM
So... We talked about the minor items that could be picked, has anyone answered the point of Pickpocketing if this isn't allowed? (aside from the epic)

Xadion
08-25-2014, 12:55 PM
SKs do have a train people button, its called FD- one could argue with all the changes to pulling what is the use of FD outside of training people :-P

and pallys do have save kittin from tree buttons, they just wont admit to it.

Scrubosaur
08-25-2014, 01:05 PM
To be honest pickpocket is not as good as you think it is. It has a long cool down and the chances of getting anything of value are pretty slim. I can count on one hand how many times I have pickpocketed a gem at max skill. If you were killing mobs at a decent rate I doubt he got that many ears, but I could be wrong. It was nice of the GM's to move him along. The pickpocketing should only be done be a member of the group!

Ele
08-25-2014, 01:07 PM
People don't have pickpocket as part of their evade macro? :P

Daldaen
08-25-2014, 01:10 PM

I do. And sense heading! Need dem skill ups.

Cecily
08-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Historically on P99, GM have told players there's nothing they can do about a rogue doing such a thing. You really shouldn't because it's just being a loser. PP from your group and risk getting kicked out or PP solo and risk dying. Without that risk, you're just being a scumbag. People doing it is classic though.

BTW Kanras absolutely destroyed pickpocket and nerfed it to non-classic state by removing "monster" flag from allowable targets. What does this mean? Hill Giants, the classic rogue PP victim, can't be stolen from. So in this current state, this conversation isn't worth having.

Cecily
08-25-2014, 01:18 PM
I don't remember when in the live timeline rogue pickpocket gets its own separate loot table, but hold onto that little shred of hope that maybe someday you won't have to care about rogues pickpocketing. I know I do.

Do you ever think that maybe that rumor was started by a rogue for laughs? I do! No such point in live timetable existed.

Juevento
08-25-2014, 01:20 PM

Why on earth would anyone have an evade macro?

Ravager
08-25-2014, 01:25 PM
Why on earth would anyone have an evade macro?

Just because you like to plow enrage doesn't mean other people do.

Juevento
08-25-2014, 01:30 PM
I evade like any other competent rogue. I do it manually though. I like the extra control that not using macro provides.

After all, rogues are the Ferrari's of EQ. You wouldn't put an automatic transmission in a Ferrari. Why hamper a rogue with lack of precise control.

Cecily
08-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Juevento evades manually, Rav's macro is /at off /hide, my macro is /at off /hide /at on. It's a simply a matter of preference and not worth fighting over. Mine functions best with positioning, Rav's functions best with control of agro, and Juevento's gives the impression there's actually buttons to push as a rogue.

Ravager
08-25-2014, 01:52 PM
lol

Juevento
08-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Ouch. That hurt.

I don't remember the last time I used pick pocket outside of snagging parchments. I ought to do that more often.

Cyph
08-25-2014, 11:09 PM
I can see the whole 'keep it classic' argument as well as that of letting rogues be rogues. But the way I see it, once you get caught out, you should move along without requiring people to petition away. At first I thought 'hah sneaky bastard' but after a couple hours of him doing it and no way for us to retaliate or do anything else to resolve the matter, it became quite frustrating.

bilbeau
08-25-2014, 11:36 PM
well it was fun, but a GM told me its against the rules now to pickpocket all of a group's mobs so guess ill have to find another way to have fun!

Cyph
08-25-2014, 11:38 PM
I'm sure you'll find a way ;)

MilanderTruewield
08-26-2014, 01:27 AM
I'm reminded a bit of Fansy the Famous Bard.

I was there the night that Bilb was being a douche. Venexia did several /ooc's over the course of a few hours attempting to get Bilb to leave without having to resort to petitions. Unfortunately, Bilb's immature way of having "fun" was more important.

Ven, you say he was Knights Who Say Ni? I can positively guarantee that they don't want someone acting in that fashion to represent their guild...

Cyph
08-26-2014, 02:15 AM
I'm fairly certain he was. Whether they care or not is another thing all together. Ultimately, the group still had a good time and made good experience, it's a shame that he felt it acceptable to deny the newbies in the group a good pp earning opportunity.

Likewise, as I said before, it was funny to begin with but that quickly wore thin. Come to think of it, I believe I grouped with him there a couple of weeks ago and I thought there wasn't a lot of ears being dropped... Anyway, as you can probably judge from my demeanor, I'm not terrible burnt by it :)

Ah Fansy, those are hilarious stories :)

bilbeau
08-26-2014, 02:50 AM
I believe I grouped with him there a couple of weeks ago and I thought there wasn't a lot of ears being dropped...

hey, youve crossed the line now.. i never steal from my own group!