PDA

View Full Version : Luclin

Xorekle
08-27-2014, 10:19 AM
Out of curiosity, I'm thinking, there's only 3 major game breaking changes in Luclin, IMO, and one minor.

Other than that it remains in the spirit of classic mostly.

AA's - Breaks classic game immensely, simply, remove them, like we have currently, you cannot spend/use any AA's; makes Luclin insanely harder, but hey, who cares.

Bazaar - Breaks economy of game immensely (supposedly), but easy fix, is to simply again, keep the UI disabled for the bazaar, similar to AA's and maps. If people can't make themselves a trader, and can't search items there; the bazaar simply becomes a big empty, central, well named zone to replace the EC tunnel for manual trades.

Mounts - Ability to regen/combat/cast on a mount is huge for casters, makes raiding and several encounters easier. Treat mounts as standing not sitting, fixes the regen cost. Also, could disable casting and combat on a mount; if that was done, then mounts would simply be a way to move faster, a vanity item, and very expensive way.

Nexus - Instant travel, especially at lower levels, kind of bothers folks. There's two ways to fix it I see. Either enable only one nexus, for instance, the Dreadlands or Great Divide; this way, if only one nexus was enabled; people couldn't really use the nexus for instant travel between major regions; or put a level limit on being able to use the spires.

There is a third option, if you increase the timers, by doubling or tripling them, I'm not even sure you have to fix the nexus. If it's only enabled for the 4 major zones, Tox, Dreadlands, GFay, and Great Divide; with long timers, no one will use it regularly for conventional travel.

What if once Velious is good and done, if the Luclin was released, especially with the disabling of aa and bazaar UI's and mounts being speed and vanity, or vanity only, I think it'd still be in spirit of EQ Classic.

Raid gear, seems to progress similarly too:

Kunark added about 10 ac on average to all gear (30% increase)
Velious adds About 10 ac on average to all gear (25% increase)
Luclin adds about 15 ac on average to all gear (30% increase)

Kunark remained the same or decreased the average primary stats on all gear
Velious increased the average primary stats on all gear by 5 points
Luclin increased the average primary stats on all gear by 5 points

Kunark did not increase the average number of primary stats increased per piece of gear.
Velious increased the average number of primary stats increased per piece of gear by 1.
Luclin increased the average number of primary stats increased per piece of gear by 1.

Kunark increased mana/hp of gear by about 20 points (200% increase) on average.
Velious increased mana/hp of gear by about 40 points (150% increase) on average.
Luclin increased mana/hp of gear by 30 points (43% increase) on average.

Kunarks average gear weight was about 13, or for 10 slots about 135;
Velious average gear weight was about 14, or for 10 slots about 135;
Luclin average gear weight was about 10, or for 10 slots about 120;

Kunark average non magic resistance on gear is about 5.
Velious average non magic resistance on gear is about 8.
Luclin average non magic resistance on gear is about 15.

Kunark average magic resistance on gear is about 2.
Velious average magic resistance on gear is about 5.
Luclin average magic resistance on gear is about 5.

Now I doubt this would ever happen. But thoughts?

Xorekle
08-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Oh, and of course, we could leave out the other changes that impacted classic, such as no newbie quests, no zone reskins, etc.

I could go either way with the Post-luclin, between release content. Jaggedpine Forest, new class combos, and soulbinders don't seem too harmful to me either.

Sampten
08-27-2014, 10:29 AM
When Luclin came out, the spires were on 15 minute timers. They'd only port you to the moon once every 15 minutes. Also if you were in the area of the spires (directly within the 4 of them) you were automatically ported.

They eventually reduced the spires timers to 5 minutes and forced you to hail the person at the spires for an item, which when sitting within the area, would be required to be ported.

I don't have a problem with the 15 minute timers, I do with the 5 minute timers. Once you got to the Nexus, you always had another 5-10 minute wait until you could take the spires back down because they never lined up perfectly.

In my opinion, the game went to wrong with the Planes of Power portal stones in Plane of Knowledge. That allowed you to cross the world in an instant, taking the massive world out of the equation.

kruptcy
08-27-2014, 10:36 AM
I would rather see them re-invent Luclin, using the zone geography (as it would be a bear to recreate all that) but changing the NPCs, quests, and item drops to compliment what is currently out there. Maybe make some alternative zones to level in in the late 40s early 50s so KC doesn't have 40 people in it every night.

Xorekle
08-27-2014, 10:48 AM
Added a gear level comparison, in general, even the Luclin raid gear seems to progress at a similar rate to the Kunark and Velious gear. It's not until we get to Planes of Power that the raid gear creates a huge gap, and sky rockets; also PoP added a ton more powerful aa's, and level 65, and new spells, all of which broke the game, and obsoleted a lot of Kunark and Velious.

Luclin seems to complement Kunark/Velious more than obsolete them. That being said, it helps fix the end-game dungeon and raiding problem too. It adds a LOT more 50+ groups and raids, and lets the server scale way way past our current numbers. With no level cap increase, it doesn't upset the power balance much either. The biggest problem with Luclin for classic and outdating content, was AA's. AA's made several things trivial, that in the past, were not. Also, mounts helped make soloing and small grouping in the outdoor zones a lot easier. Removing both of those, Luclin's gear and zones themselves don't really change the overall high-end dynamic that much.

The bazaar, made gear available to people a lot easier and sooner than normal, because of AFK selling. So fix that, disable the bazaar interface and AFK selling, no one can come across swaths of gear with just a few PP anymore.

No instant gear, no aa's, no mount advantages, no level cap increases, no newbie gear, and Luclin is just another expansion, allowing more dungeons, and advancement at the same rate we seen in Kunark and Velious, with a new race, and class. Not to mention, with no AA's, and no bazaar, the raiding scene in Luclin is going to be brutally hard, a real challenge. Our high end players wouldn't have to worry about getting bored, and would probably even embrace the challenge.

Xorekle
08-27-2014, 11:03 AM
When Luclin came out, the spires were on 15 minute timers. They'd only port you to the moon once every 15 minutes. Also if you were in the area of the spires (directly within the 4 of them) you were automatically ported.

They eventually reduced the spires timers to 5 minutes and forced you to hail the person at the spires for an item, which when sitting within the area, would be required to be ported.

I don't have a problem with the 15 minute timers, I do with the 5 minute timers. Once you got to the Nexus, you always had another 5-10 minute wait until you could take the spires back down because they never lined up perfectly.

In my opinion, the game went to wrong with the Planes of Power portal stones in Plane of Knowledge. That allowed you to cross the world in an instant, taking the massive world out of the equation.

pretty much my thoughts exactly

Fiyero
08-27-2014, 11:10 AM
I don't think it was so much that Luclin was game breaking (not to the degree PoP was), it was more so people just didn't really like the abrupt concept change from the world of Norrath to Cats on the Moon. That and a lot of the Luclin zones were just horrible and the raids sucked (aside from Ssra Temple).

sox7d
08-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Release PoP or Luclin, but once you travel there, you can never return to Norrath. Problem solved.

Sampten
08-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Added a gear level comparison, in general, even the Luclin raid gear seems to progress at a similar rate to the Kunark and Velious gear. It's not until we get to Planes of Power that the raid gear creates a huge gap, and sky rockets; also PoP added a ton more powerful aa's, and level 65, and new spells, all of which broke the game, and obsoleted a lot of Kunark and Velious.

Luclin seems to complement Kunark/Velious more than obsolete them. That being said, it helps fix the end-game dungeon and raiding problem too. It adds a LOT more 50+ groups and raids, and lets the server scale way way past our current numbers. With no level cap increase, it doesn't upset the power balance much either. The biggest problem with Luclin for classic and outdating content, was AA's. AA's made several things trivial, that in the past, were not. Also, mounts helped make soloing and small grouping in the outdoor zones a lot easier. Removing both of those, Luclin's gear and zones themselves don't really change the overall high-end dynamic that much.

The bazaar, made gear available to people a lot easier and sooner than normal, because of AFK selling. So fix that, disable the bazaar interface and AFK selling, no one can come across swaths of gear with just a few PP anymore.

No instant gear, no aa's, no mount advantages, no level cap increases, no newbie gear, and Luclin is just another expansion, allowing more dungeons, and advancement at the same rate we seen in Kunark and Velious, with a new race, and class. Not to mention, with no AA's, and no bazaar, the raiding scene in Luclin is going to be brutally hard, a real challenge. Our high end players wouldn't have to worry about getting bored, and would probably even embrace the challenge.

You could raid PoP without ever having to really have raided Sleeper's, ToV or VT. You needed some Kunark, some Velious and some Luclin gear, but weren't necessarily need to raid those places regularly and be super geared. That being said, once PoP came out, you geared up via it. First it was Ornate, then it was Elemental gear. You needed that, and other gear from raiding PoP, to progress and eventually get into Time. The gear in Time was fantastic, but it totally tipped the balance.

Once you were PoP geared, Velious and Kunark became a joke...there's no getting around that.

Then again, you couldn't do squat in Gates without PoP gear and that's when the game became Raid-centric. Mobs ran at SoW/Selo's speed, and hit like mack-trucks for the common player. It was unfair. You needed to be an Plane of Fire/Water/Earth/Air at a minimum to do anything in Gates.

I don't know if a Luclin geared raiding guild would face a challenge in Velious/Kunark. Because of the added level advancement, I have to imagine that they'd find it a tad easy.

myriverse
08-27-2014, 12:15 PM
There was no abrupt concept change. Moon; continent; there's really no difference. It's just a new land to visit. You were still whacking things with swords.

Daldaen
08-27-2014, 12:36 PM
AAs fixed the balance of several classes. Keep it in. Rangers, Druids and Wizards all became much more valuable raid members once AAs went in. Also it gives you a purpose to play your main instead of alt #276

Bazaar opens up a venue for more loot, and allows you to sell loot while AFK, meaning loot that generally wasn't worth your time to spend in EC to sell now gets bought and sold more regularly. Bonus: you don't need to even pay attention to beggers, scammers or lowball offers.

Horses allowed for a solid purchase, a right of passage for most casters. It also provides for the mana regen that allows for more endurance style fights.

Nexus ports to GD, DL, NK, Tox and GFay. They were on a 15min recast meaning you could spend anywhere between 0-15min waiting on a port. Meaning the average duration is about 7.5min. Your use of the word instant is extremely misleading. What you mean to say is unaided, in that people stop sending my Druid tells for ports on their alt with no money.

On this server you can find a Druid or wizard to port you faster than 7.5min almost always. If you want to argue it kills player interaction, bullshit. I've been a Druid on this server since 2010. If I'm just porting someone I get two interchanges with people. 1. Their request for port, explanation of why they need the port/what they can or will offer me. 2. Thanks/GL, sometimes shortened to just 2 letters "TY". Occasionally if I didn't SoW them to start or if they need invis or lev, that request will come in there somewhere. That describes a solid 90% of my ports. Never do these people invite me to a group or guild or ask if I want to duo.

Asking for assistance with no real benefit to myself in helping you and then just responding with a "TY" after I help save you an hours journey... Isn't interaction much at all. Any more than you interact with the guy at the drive through. Or the gas station.

Luclin doesn't need fixing. People just need to stop being irrational about how bad it was. Luclin was great once you get past it's failed launch. And once you realize planets have moons and places with magic and teleportation, it's not surprising they went to the moon.

Sampten
08-27-2014, 12:44 PM
AAs fixed the balance of several classes. Keep it in. Rangers, Druids and Wizards all became much more valuable raid members once AAs went in. Also it gives you a purpose to play your main instead of alt #276

Bazaar opens up a venue for more loot, and allows you to sell loot while AFK, meaning loot that generally wasn't worth your time to spend in EC to sell now gets bought and sold more regularly. Bonus: you don't need to even pay attention to beggers, scammers or lowball offers.

Horses allowed for a solid purchase, a right of passage for most casters. It also provides for the mana regen that allows for more endurance style fights.

Nexus ports to GD, DL, NK, Tox and GFay. They were on a 15min recast meaning you could spend anywhere between 0-15min waiting on a port. Meaning the average duration is about 7.5min. Your use of the word instant is extremely misleading. What you mean to say is unaided, in that people stop sending my Druid tells for ports on their alt with no money.

On this server you can find a Druid or wizard to port you faster than 7.5min almost always. If you want to argue it kills player interaction, bullshit. I've been a Druid on this server since 2010. If I'm just porting someone I get two interchanges with people. 1. Their request for port, explanation of why they need the port/what they can or will offer me. 2. Thanks/GL, sometimes shortened to just 2 letters "TY". Occasionally if I didn't SoW them to start or if they need invis or lev, that request will come in there somewhere. That describes a solid 90% of my ports. Never do these people invite me to a group or guild or ask if I want to duo.

Luclin doesn't need fixing. People just need to stop being irrational about how bad it was. Luclin was great once you get past it's failed launch. And once you realize planets have moons and places with magic and teleportation, it's not surprising they went to the moon.

PoP is what 'broke' the game. Despite absolutely loving the expansion and the raid challenges of it, that's when everything went haywire and made the old world obsolete.

I would agree that Luclin wasn't bad, and while they could have easily created more continents, the elected to go to the moon. It seemed weird at the time, but so be it.

I am concerned, however that the addition of Luclin coupled with AAs makes the old world too easy. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong... it's hard to say.

Daldaen
08-27-2014, 12:53 PM
The old world is already too easy.

Look at the solo artist challenge for example.

People soloing things that required 1-2 groups before. Mobs that people say you need 2-4 group raids are being duo'd and 1 grouped.

You want to prevent old world becoming too easy... You're too late hehe. Between OP clickies like Donal's or SoulFire and people have BiS gear and the knowledge; the old world, even including Kunark, is far too easy.

PoP was easily the best expansion EQ had though. So much depth, fixed lots of areas of the game (balanced classes even further with new AAs and spells, all 7 tradeskills made relevant, long chain quests, depth of raiding that allows the most casual and the most hardcore to raid, both group and raid progression). The itemization did make items from Velious mostly useless though there were a few gems (AoW ring, Vulaks stuff, Dozekar quests, shroud of longevity, avatar weapons, clickies) that remained useful. But if you want to talk about items becoming useless after 2 expansions... I'll bite. What will players be using from classic that they cannot replace in Velious? A few piece of planar armor may retain value, some clickies, Tranix crown? Not much else.

Champion_Standing
08-27-2014, 12:54 PM
I like reading about how awesome classic traveling is on the forums and then logging into the game and watching everyone beg for ports because they refuse to run anywhere.

Daldaen
08-27-2014, 12:55 PM
I like reading about how awesome classic traveling is on the forums and then logging into the game and watching everyone beg for ports because they refuse to run anywhere.

This x 2000.

loramin
08-27-2014, 01:29 PM

Begging for ports IS classic traveling.

guinness
08-27-2014, 01:33 PM

My favorite is people in the EC tunnel looking for ports to Lavastorm or South Ro. Because two outdoor zones is just TOO FAR to auto-run in a straight line.

But whatever, I'll take your plat to port you.

iruinedyourday
08-27-2014, 01:43 PM
The old world is already too easy.

Look at the solo artist challenge for example.

People soloing things that required 1-2 groups before. Mobs that people say you need 2-4 group raids are being duo'd and 1 grouped.

You want to prevent old world becoming too easy... You're too late hehe. Between OP clickies like Donal's or SoulFire and people have BiS gear and the knowledge; the old world, even including Kunark, is far too easy.

This reminds me, part of the world becoming easy is classic, to me. One of my fondest memories of pre-kunark EQ was discovering Lower Guk. Walking into that zone and seeing 12 people at the zone line chit chating and messing around with eachother, walking further in and seeing 12 people killing frogs from the zone to the bedroom, to the bedroom and seeing groups in the bats room and the spiders room, people dueling in front of the fort... all these people... and no mobs.

Lower guk was like a secret 40+ city that noobie trolls had no idea existed below their feet. Frogs would spawn and die faster than they could agro. You could walk around as a level 1 in there if you wanted, with very little fear of death.

People were /ooc & /auc'ing goods and services and it really felt like any newbie hunting ground or like Gfay.

So what I'm getting at is the player base totally dominating the environment is a part of what I love about classic EQ. So there's that, idk.. part of what is cool to me about EQ. Meh idk. Just talkn' EQ w/ yall.

Xorekle
08-27-2014, 02:13 PM
PoP is what 'broke' the game. Despite absolutely loving the expansion and the raid challenges of it, that's when everything went haywire and made the old world obsolete.

I would agree that Luclin wasn't bad, and while they could have easily created more continents, the elected to go to the moon. It seemed weird at the time, but so be it.

I am concerned, however that the addition of Luclin coupled with AAs makes the old world too easy. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong... it's hard to say.

I think the added AA's are mainly what obsolete the velious/kunark content too; I'd be ok with just Luclin aa's, but it's still game unbalancing as I think with Luclin aa's and raid gear, any small challenge Kunark or original EQ posed would be gone, and Velious would become a trivial challenge. Without the AA's, velious will remain a solid source of gear, and challenge nearly infinitely. You'd have to be full SSRA/VT geared for Velious to no longer really pose a serious challenge, and even getting to full SSRA/VT gear is going to be really difficult without the AA's. Without the AA's, it almost forces natural progression for raiding. The other luclin raids combined, won't give you enough gear at a fast enough pace to allow you to tackle SSRA and VT comfortably. You'll have to raid Velious just cause of the velocity of the gear, and the resists (which in Luclin, were necessary, but could be bypassed using AA's)

eqravenprince
08-27-2014, 02:44 PM
AA's simply extend people's stay at max level instead of starting a new character. So when new people come, not as many people at low levels to group with because more are grinding out AA's.

Bazaar is ok, my problem with it is that it makes the game seems less lively, I love all the chatter in East Commonlands.

Mounts look effing stupid along with all the Luclin models.

Nexus travel is one that I actually like and wish there were more ways to travel in game without relying on a porter or running. It didn't really make the world seem smaller like PoP did.

loramin
08-27-2014, 02:58 PM

To me, those are two different things:

1) new class features which balanced the classes
2) endless grinding

I'm all in favor of #1, but I see no reason why they have to be tied to #2. I think the way proposed by Nilbog (ie. you have to complete some sort of epic quest-like experience to get your formerly-AA-based class-defining powers) would be awesome.

Tewaz
08-27-2014, 03:00 PM
I completely agree with Daldaen on this one. Great points.

I like:

Adding Luclin, leave the Nexus at 15 minute timers, keep or add the bazaar, I don't care.

Add a portal somewhere to Plane of Tranquility or whatever it was called that had all of the other planes linked to it. Skip the books and other junk and we are good to go.

Uuruk
08-27-2014, 03:00 PM
5 years for velious you gonna wait another 5?

iruinedyourday
08-27-2014, 03:01 PM

maybe in 5 years I could warm up to the idea of RUINING P99 GUYS

:P

Xorekle
08-27-2014, 03:01 PM

Where's the bottleneck? :P I'll help close it

myriverse
08-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Eh. Quests would just become bottle-necked excuses to poopsock and dramatize. Grinding is better.

Uuruk
08-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Beastlords

myriverse
08-27-2014, 03:06 PM
It's been 15, so...

And I'm doubtful there will be a suitable replacement for EQ in 5 years.

loramin
08-27-2014, 03:07 PM
Where's the bottleneck? :P I'll help close it

The bottleneck is IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN ON THIS SERVER. NEVER.

Sorry for shouting, but I just wanted to make this point clear. The developers of this server have said in no uncertain terms that Project 1999 will get cats on the moon only over their dead bodies. If you don't believe me just do a little forum searching.

So while this conversation is fun in academic sense, if you seriously want to play Luclin you're going to have to go to a different server (which I personally think is a shame, but hey it's their server and they get to make the rules).

Daldaen
08-27-2014, 03:10 PM
To me, those are two different things:

1) new class features which balanced the classes
2) endless grinding

I'm all in favor of #1, but I see no reason why they have to be tied to #2. I think the way proposed by Nilbog (ie. you have to complete some sort of epic quest-like experience to get your formerly-AA-based class-defining powers) would be awesome.

Epic quests would just be bottle necks with poopsocks unless it's instanced.

Whereas a grind you can get exp while doing other things. Which is nice. When I played on Mac server the AAs I gained weren't because I decided "I want to farm some AAs". It was "I want to do this quest for this alt, so I'm going to kill these mobs for a few hours to get some uncommon drops" or "I want a stack of this resist food, so I'm going to farm these mobs for meats, claws, etc." Or "I want to get this key for my main cause science, so I'll clear these placeholders for a few hours".

Whenever I had a goal that involved any of the relevant zones, I was actively working towards that goal AND gaining exp as I do it. When I work towards a goal on this server any exp I'm getting on my Druid basically is getting wasted, cause I'm already at max. Which is sadface.

fadetree
08-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Sadly, Loramin has a good point. Not gonna happen here.

Zaela
08-27-2014, 03:14 PM
It's possible to make long quests that aren't endless rare drop farms. Also possible to do things with exp that aren't AAs. Not classic though.

August
08-27-2014, 03:16 PM
I hated VT.

I used to fall asleep main tanking slimes. No joke. My guildmates would call my home phone line at 2 AM.

mom: <August>... are you Baltasar?
Me: HOLY SHIT YEAH

most boring raid zone ever.

Xorekle
08-27-2014, 03:18 PM
The bottleneck is IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN ON THIS SERVER. NEVER.

Sorry for shouting, but I just wanted to make this point clear. The developers of this server have said in no uncertain terms that Project 1999 will get cats on the moon only over their dead bodies. If you don't believe me just do a little forum searching.

So while this conversation is fun in academic sense, if you seriously want to play Luclin you're going to have to go to a different server (which I personally think is a shame, but hey it's their server and they get to make the rules).

That was actually intended for Velious and post-Velious/pre-Luclin content too, lol.

douglas1999
08-27-2014, 03:27 PM
I really didn't like the engine overhaul they implemented with the release of Luclin. To me it was the single largest factor that made Luclin seem completely separate from classic\kunark\velious. Kunark and Velious look like they actually belong to the same game engine as classic, albeit with higher polygon counts and slightly higher res textures in places. Some zones even look like they were unused or unfinished zones from classic development (anyone ever notice that Velk's looks like it could easily have been in classic, architecturally? There are the same weird geometry overlaps between ramps and flat ground, etc..

Luclin on the other hand just looks like a completely different game. Every zone has that awful blurry-distance-fading-into-foreground appearance. Just my opinion, but I don't think any amount of modification would make Luclin feel like it fits with the first three installments.

Xorekle
08-27-2014, 03:29 PM
I really didn't like the engine overhaul they implemented with the release of Luclin. To me it was the single largest factor that made Luclin seem completely separate from classic\kunark\velious. Kunark and Velious look like they actually belong to the same game engine as classic, albeit with higher polygon counts and slightly higher res textures in places. Some zones even look like they were unused or unfinished zones from classic development (anyone ever notice that Velk's looks like it could easily have been in classic, architecturally? There are the same weird geometry overlaps between ramps and flat ground, etc..

Luclin on the other hand just looks like a completely different game. Every zone has that awful blurry-distance-fading-into-foreground appearance. Just my opinion, but I don't think any amount of modification would make Luclin feel like it fits with the first three installments.

That is a good point, I never really thought about that. I guess them prefacing it with being on the moon helped me in that sense.

Sampten
08-27-2014, 03:52 PM

Very true. The look/design of Luclin made it feel like a different game. If they were going to makeover the graphics of the game, then they should have done a total engine change and updated the graphics on Classic/Kunark/Velious so that it all stayed uniform.

douglas1999
08-27-2014, 04:25 PM
Very true. The look/design of Luclin made it feel like a different game. If they were going to makeover the graphics of the game, then they should have done a total engine change and updated the graphics on Classic/Kunark/Velious so that it all stayed uniform.

Yeah, and it was especially jarring when they implemented some of the later zones like Jaggedpine into the classic landmass. Jaggedpine looks like a Luclin zone engine-wise, but it's awkwardly stuck between surefall glade and blackburrow which are both particularly classic looking zones. It was just weird.

fastboy21
08-27-2014, 04:37 PM
If there was any new content I would rather the devs pick and choose specific zone maps from any expansion that make sense to the classic world (veksar, jagged pine, etc.) reitemize them (with classic era items), repopulate them (classic stats, appropriate levels, etc.) with mobs, custom quests, etc...

The side benefit to this is that it would be much easier to "expand" classic EQ in this manner, it wouldn't require years of painstakingly recreating content for perfect accuracy.

Zones could even be done this way as a GM style event allowing only temporary access, etc.

Xorekle
08-27-2014, 04:47 PM
If there was any new content I would rather the devs pick and choose specific zone maps from any expansion that make sense to the classic world (veksar, jagged pine, etc.) reitemize them (with classic era items), repopulate them (classic stats, appropriate levels, etc.) with mobs, custom quests, etc...

The side benefit to this is that it would be much easier to "expand" classic EQ in this manner, it wouldn't require years of painstakingly recreating content for perfect accuracy.

Zones could even be done this way as a GM style event allowing only temporary access, etc.

I'd be ok with this, especially Sol C, Chardok B, Veksar, Warrens, Stonebrunt, most of DoN (non-instanced). A non-instanced version of each of the LDoN's could be really nice. I'd love to see a non-instanced Rujarkian Hills, or Miragul's Menagerie...

Swish
08-27-2014, 06:43 PM

good post ^^

Rec
08-27-2014, 06:45 PM
I just want the focus effects. Dump the rest

Velerin
08-27-2014, 06:56 PM
Mounts and focus effects finally gave the casters a way to really upgrade dps. Melees kept getting better weapons with no changes to casters. More mana does not make you better, just can cast the same spells a little longer before sitting on your ass and medding longer.

Aveenia
08-27-2014, 08:18 PM
I'd rather have hand picked stuff after Vellious. I never liked the Luclin zones for the most part. Love kitties but not sure about adding another playable race and the less said about beastlods the better.

OMG though, just don't add froglocks, ever. Yuck.

Swish
08-27-2014, 08:22 PM
Hard to say "yes" to vah shir without saying "yes" to Luclin models. They look terrible in the old graphics.

The possibilities after Velious though, all quite exciting... shit, I'll probably hit 40 (in 7 years time) and still be enjoying it here :D

iruinedyourday
08-27-2014, 08:36 PM
did someone say vah shir?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zHUlbnXDWkE/U9xqvXY65lI/AAAAAAAAGLM/LhRWIZggtG0/s1600/throw-up-step-brothers-o.gif

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/04/throw-up-gifs.gif

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1368224369_Vomit.gif

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25736152/Family_5cd33b_408870.gif

http://www.benettonplay.com/toys/flipbookdeluxe/flipbooks_gif/2012/11/27/417321.gif

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1864680/family-guy-throw-up-o.gif

Danyelle
08-27-2014, 08:40 PM
Vah Shir pls

Swish
08-27-2014, 08:45 PM
prefer the drakkin?

http://zam.zamimg.com/images/6/9/699717cf44fe628d984b55542bd15f19.jpg

iruinedyourday
08-27-2014, 08:52 PM
prefer the drakkin?

http://zam.zamimg.com/images/6/9/699717cf44fe628d984b55542bd15f19.jpg

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/745899/brian-throwing-up-o.gif

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120623193230/gravityfalls/images/e/e1/S1e1_gnome_throwing_up_animated.gif

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0y809tJQN1qjtjbi.gif

http://99gifs.com/-img/50a47e79afa96f1ff40012e4.gif?w=400&h=267

http://cdn.popdust.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Bieber-Slo-Mo-Throw-Up.gif

Zaela
08-27-2014, 09:00 PM
Hard to say "yes" to vah shir without saying "yes" to Luclin models. They look terrible in the old graphics.

Had two right hands as far as weapon attachment points go (backwards shields etc -- or maybe it was inverted with sword blades going the wrong way? idr). Good indicator of how they felt about pre-luclin models at that point.

Could make a completely different looking race that just happens to be called vah shir! I always thought dervish would make a good player race. Let 'em equip weapons in every slot (doable!)

Danyelle
08-27-2014, 09:03 PM
http://i.imgur.com/qVXWq9D.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OWzknHU.jpg

Danyelle
08-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Had two right hands as far as weapon attachment points go (backwards shields etc -- or maybe it was inverted with sword blades going the wrong way? idr). Good indicator of how they felt about pre-luclin models at that point.

It's the offhand. It's not backwards it's flipped upside down. They still haven't fixed it. Just like iksar skeleton's hold their offhand backwards, scarecrows hold their offhand "sideways (out through the top of their hand), Luclin elementals grip weapons with their wrists, and drakes hole weapons in their mouths (they actually fixed this one, the file i include in the texture patcher has it repaired. They don't hold weapons at all anymore)

Also horses (and worgs...and drogmors) hold weapons on their feet. I...don't think they fully understand where weapons should go or who should hold them at all...

Aveenia
08-27-2014, 09:06 PM
The run animation for the drakken makes them look like they should be wearing helmets and idling the special bus.

iruinedyourday
08-27-2014, 09:19 PM
a gnoll race woulda be awesome.. but restrictoins are you cant use more polygons than on current gnolls.. just new textrues... But the textures have to be same size too.

Like you said Aveenia, the frogs are terrible... ugh god they are awful... oh man guys dont make me start looking up barf gifs again...

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/hrk.gif

Xorekle
08-27-2014, 09:31 PM
iruinedyourday...totally off-topic here, but I can steal your next level gif? I likey.

iruinedyourday
08-27-2014, 09:32 PM
iruinedyourday...totally off-topic here, but I can steal your next level gif? I likey.

hehe absolutely! :)

fiveeauxfour
08-27-2014, 09:40 PM
Some of them made me gag irl =/

iruinedyourday
08-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Some of them made me gag irl =/

I know especially the vah shir.

Esheon
08-28-2014, 06:08 AM
But... but... I liked my froggie... :(

I never liked Luclin or the Vah Shir, but my froggies... they were wonderful.

Swish
08-28-2014, 06:44 AM

Classic Guk frogloks as a playable race here for sure, but not the battletoad mutant creations from LoY in 5-6 different "flavors", I never liked em :p

Glenzig
08-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Classic Guk frogloks as a playable race here for sure, but not the battletoad mutant creations from LoY in 5-6 different "flavors", I never liked em :p

Froglocks were just terrible. Both in EQ1 and EQ2.

eqgmrdbz
08-28-2014, 09:24 AM
I liked AA's too, it gave you something to work on after you maxed your level, and it did make smilar characters different. The AA exp was to me extreme, it should off been made easier, it became a grind to get AA's, maybe make AA's easier to get. Shared Bank slots is something that is needed on this server, it doesnt really mess with the game other than less risk to moving gear around.

Traveling by the Nexus didnt speed up traveling, it just gave players another option, the 15 min delay was fine, especially if you couldnt find a druid in the old zones. Yeah, the Stone portals/books is what eliminated wait time, you could go from one end of the world to the other quickly. I have no problme with mounts, maybe you can fix somethings, but meh.Luclin had many great things, new unique zones The Grey, SSereza Temple. New Gear available thru tradeskills.

The problem that is going to pop up evertime is after a while the population is going to move to the new zones, especially if you add big worlds like Velious and Luclin. Old world and Kunark are going to be used for the high level zones only. How to fix this would be job one if i was a dev, before anything is released, i would try and keep the old zones interesting if only as places to start, maybe increase XP gain, or force new players to start in the old world, and make Velious/Luclin 46+ level worlds.

myriverse
08-28-2014, 09:44 AM

Vah Shir and Frogs... two most beautiful playable races in EQ.

But frogs look best on a plate.

mwatt
09-04-2014, 10:59 PM
The REALLY BAD parts of Luclin:
* Breaking D&D Theme by going to the Moon.
* The Bazaar.

IMO, most of the rest is ok and some of it is great. I really like AAs, just they way they were. It gives people something to do once they hit max level and when they cannot raid. It restores purpose.

I'd do these minimal, easy to do things, if I wanted to keep the ball rolling and it were up to me:
* Make it impossible to zone into Cat Land and make it impossible to start a Cat.
* You can't do too much else about avoiding the idea of the moon without castrating some really, really good zones (though one or two of those should probably be castrated).
* Make it impossible to zone into the Bazaar.
* Put all of this on a separate server that you can transfer to or dup your char to, but there is no going back.

Amyas
09-04-2014, 11:13 PM
As long as plains of power never comes out =)

Portasaurus
09-04-2014, 11:24 PM
No Luclin, no cheese. Just sayin