PDA

View Full Version : IRC?

Daakkon
09-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Why isn't there more people using this? It is a great way for people to communicate with eachother, and adds another layer for player-GM chat. Tons of people still use it and I would love for P99 to have a flourishing community within it.

irc.eqemulator.net
#project1999

Estu
09-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Agreed! Minus the player-GM chat part. GMs don't like to be bothered on IRC.

Daakkon
09-08-2014, 09:38 AM
They are nice to have there. If you go to any popular UO shard's IRC channel it is full of GM's that will help players whenever they need it.

Portasaurus
09-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Players and GMs alike should join us and share their favorite music with the community! It's like IRC, but with music!!!

Kind of a neat way to meet new players that you wouldn't otherwise bump-into.

https://plug.dj/project1999

mipstien
09-08-2014, 10:24 AM
Call attention to your post but don't link to the server information. Might want to post that. Just a thought.
Sure we can search for it, but putting it in the thread makes the search so much easier.

Swish
09-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Used to be a sticky on it, but yeah all are welcome in the P99 music channel ;)

Daakkon
09-08-2014, 10:34 AM
Call attention to your post but don't link to the server information. Might want to post that. Just a thought.
Sure we can search for it, but putting it in the thread makes the search so much easier.

Done :D

Mac Drettj
09-08-2014, 10:36 AM
because irc is gay as fuck and nobody got time 2 install a new browser just to have a free irc client

Daakkon
09-08-2014, 10:38 AM
because irc is gay as fuck and nobody got time 2 install a new browser just to have a free irc client

??
Why would you need a new browser?

Rooj
09-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Agreed! Minus the player-GM chat part. GMs don't like to be bothered on IRC.

I think you're mistaking GMs for developers :)

Anyway, for the past 2~ years or so the IRC channel has been overrun with some of the rudest people on the internet. 3 years ago it used to be a happenin' place and the people there were enjoyable to talk to. The channel never really received much moderation, so IRC was basically live R&F. Which is sad because it could be such a great tool for the server.

I did happen to check on it recently. There were very few people in it and no one spoke for a few days. So I'm guessing it's pretty dead now. I'd definitely start hanging out there again if we could get the population up. Need to do some advertising I suppose.

Daakkon
09-08-2014, 11:32 AM
I think you're mistaking GMs for developers :)

Anyway, for the past 2~ years or so the IRC channel has been overrun with some of the rudest people on the internet. 3 years ago it used to be a happenin' place and the people there were enjoyable to talk to. The channel never really received much moderation, so IRC was basically live R&F. Which is sad because it could be such a great tool for the server.

I did happen to check on it recently. There were very few people in it and no one spoke for a few days. So I'm guessing it's pretty dead now. I'd definitely start hanging out there again if we could get the population up. Need to do some advertising I suppose.

I'm sure if there was a stickied thread or news post and Rogean, etc.. used it and properly moderated it, it would gain traction and be properly used.

Rooj
09-08-2014, 12:40 PM
I honestly don't think any of the GMs or developers should use it. It's too personal and getting too friendly with staff is not a good thing IMO. Some people would start sending GMs PMs in IRC rather than reporting things through /petition or the forums. People would start being friends with staff and asking for or expecting special treatment. I think it's best that relationships between player and staff in any online game should remain as public as possible. So IMO the IRC channel should be moderated by players in the community who are known for being good peoples.

I've always thought IRC would be a great classic way to LFG. To my surprise it seems to have never been used for that here.

Sirken
09-09-2014, 05:17 AM
Rooj, it'd be one thing if i was spending RL time ordering room service ice cream sandwiches while laying in bed half naked making jokes about joe namath after smoking in a secret nook with only certain specific people.

but to imply that staff and players should have absolutely no interaction, while it might look pretty on paper, is pretty ludicrous in practice. GMs arent allowed to play on this server, talking with guild/raid leaders and having open lines of communication makes all of our lives easier with figuring out whats going on. just because two people have a friendly work relationship does not automatically make them friends, and furthermore anyone that would ask a staff member for favoritism is not an actual friend to that staff member.

oh and spoiler alert, your EQLive Guild leaders were talking to their server staff if their guild was worth anything back on live.

and if u wanna listen to some player-staff interaction involving GM Events, Spiders, and McDonalds Breakfast with 2 of your P99 GMs - http://youtu.be/kCLwcWKXgJw

<3

quido
09-09-2014, 06:33 AM
I miss IRC trivia

Baler
09-09-2014, 06:35 AM
I dug into the forums a few months ago looking for IRC information. Rogean himself said that the reason p99 IRC was closed was primarily "due to trolling" and people being immature.

Estu
09-09-2014, 09:10 AM
GMs arent allowed to play on this server
Is this a new policy? For some reason I thought GMs were allowed to play.

I dug into the forums a few months ago looking for IRC information. Rogean himself said that the reason p99 IRC was closed was primarily "due to trolling" and people being immature.
Not sure what you're talking about. P99 IRC was never closed in the four years I've been on this server. The information for the IRC channel is still available in the Library section of this forum (see my signature).

Daldaen
09-09-2014, 09:16 AM
Guides can play. GMs cannot.

The only GMs are Derubael and Sirken.

Daakkon
09-09-2014, 09:28 AM
If this channel was properly moderated trolling would not be an issue. Let's make this happen P99!

nilbog
09-09-2014, 11:40 AM
I think a lot of people do not know what IRC is or how it's used. Might need an install and usage tutorial.

Swish
09-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Derubael plays on PEQ iirc?

All I've seen on it is people getting mad when something gets said in the chat that they don't like. Probably like EQmac, easy to bait the player base there :p

Rooj
09-09-2014, 01:17 PM
I think a lot of people do not know what IRC is or how it's used. Might need an install and usage tutorial.

You're probably right. And as an example, I use IceChat. Someone who doesn't use or isn't familiar with IRC would open the client and see a total mess and lists of things to click, when all they really want to do is simply enter a chatroom, which should be simple. Maybe instead of IRC we can get a webchat going of some sort (even if it's IRC, don't call it that, just call it Chat!)

Just had a lightbulb idea: make it look like the chatrooms inside the EQ client! Classic!

SenoraRaton
09-09-2014, 01:20 PM
The problem with IRC is that it only has a draw if there are people there. And you have to go about building a whole new community. I STRONGLY recommend plug.dj/project1999 We are currently growing, its got a nice catch in the music department, is way more dynamic than IRC, and has chat, and doesn't need 3rd party installs. I have leveled from 1-25 with people I met there... Come share some jams.

Grubbz
09-09-2014, 02:17 PM
all they play in plug.dj/project1999 is gimmick shit, no real music at all.

Portasaurus
09-09-2014, 03:35 PM
I STRONGLY recommend plug.dj/project1999 (https://plug.dj/project1999)

Ditto. It's an interesting way to meet fellow p99ers whose paths you would have never crossed otherwise.

The music is all over the place, but so is the p99 player base (literally and figuratively)! I realize switching from Pantera to Mozart to Hootie & the Blowfish isn't everybody's idea of a good time, but if you really don't like something, turn it down and enjoy a few minutes of John Cage's masterpiece 4'33" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTEFKFiXSx4)!

If you absolutely HATE the music, mute it and stay for the chat! You can pretend it's IRC! :)

I have leveled from 1-25 with people I met there

That is awesome. I was wondering if anyone actually met in the plug room before meeting up in-game...

Plug actually has a pretty sizable user base, especially internationally. I wonder if p99 will actually gain any new players that find out about the project by simply organically using plug?

Rooj
09-09-2014, 03:57 PM
I do love and appreciate Plug.DJ. I used it with my guild in another game as a way to hang out and do stuff other than just play the game. It's pretty awesome. If it's more active than IRC then I might have to start hanging out there. :)

Estu
09-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Personally I'm not interested in listening to a bunch of random music (no offense to people's tastes) and would feel kind of weird about joining that chat room when it's centered around a thing I'm not participating in.

Daakkon
09-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Well whoever is serious about helping build our IRC chatroom PM me please.

Kreylyn
09-16-2014, 08:22 AM
www.p99lfg.com is an option.

The more people that use it, the better it will work.

Spread the word in game. :)

Krey

Sirken
09-16-2014, 08:35 AM
every monday night at 9pm est i do weekly interaction with the community over at www.twitch.tv/sirkenp99

to see last nights discussion visit: http://youtu.be/NSszkzNr_64

<3

i just hate irc sooooo much. we use to use it, and then i began to boycott it :)

Javacup
09-16-2014, 08:42 AM
Twitch connects you to irc.twitch.tv:6667 #sirkenp99

I am sorry to break the news to you Sirken. I am still rocking old mirc with nonamescript, it just screams counter-strike scrims.

Sirken
09-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Twitch connects you to irc.twitch.tv:6667 #sirkenp99

I am sorry to break the news to you Sirken. I am still rocking old mirc with nonamescript, it just screams counter-strike scrims.

:eek:

tristantio
09-16-2014, 10:32 AM
I used to hang out in IRC a lot about 3 years ago (then off and on since then) and yea, the trolling level was high sometime soon after Amelinda was gone.