PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: The custom code for spell interrupt.

AffEcT
09-09-2014, 10:25 AM
On Red there is a custom code to add melee attacks the chance to interrupt casting.
I believe its 5% added per hit taken.
I think it should be removed or lowered for balance because the melee push works in pvp.

Most high level spells have around 5 sec casting time.
A hasted dual wielding melee will easy get 2 combat rounds off during that time.
8 hits from dual wield, if all hit + kick or backstab or whatever.
That's 40-50% chance to interrupt. Sounds good right? Yes but.
The problem is that melee push also works so its the code plus the push you get from hitting the the target. So its really dam hard to get a spell of in pvp.
Even 2h weapons fuck you up.

Think maybe staff should take a look at this and could even help out testing if need be.
Thank you very much!

Nirgon
09-09-2014, 11:35 AM
So its really dam hard to get a spell of in pvp.

Good that's how it should be

AffEcT
09-09-2014, 02:41 PM

Melee only server confirmed?

Nirgon
09-09-2014, 03:54 PM
Casters getting their LOS requirement removed from starting harmful spells is classic.

It's on Big H's list iirc.

Gotta get it all classic.

Mac Drettj
09-09-2014, 03:58 PM
a shadowknight w a 1hander can prevent a caster from getting a spell off

kinda sad

AffEcT
09-10-2014, 03:10 AM
Casters getting their LOS requirement removed from starting harmful spells is classic.

It's on Big H's list iirc.

Gotta get it all classic.

You are talking from the perspective of and offensive spell caster.
What if i play a priest class and i am just trying to keep heals going and i cant do it because 1 melee is hiting me. Even if i am corner casting. This is a problem.

AffEcT
09-10-2014, 06:38 AM
BTW!
I am not saying remove it.
I am saying we should look into this and balance it.
Remove if there is no need for it ofc.

AffEcT
10-13-2014, 07:07 AM
Bump!
No one cares about this?
Pure melee server ftw!
See you in thurgadin?

Smedy
10-14-2014, 11:14 AM

naw not classic, member having zero issues gating with 4 melees on me dual wielding

mostbitter
10-14-2014, 11:31 AM
the whole server aint 60 you shouldn't be asking for a mechanic that spans all levels to be balanced for just one particular level range.

AffEcT
10-14-2014, 12:14 PM
the whole server aint 60 you shouldn't be asking for a mechanic that spans all levels to be balanced for just one particular level range.

I dont know what you are talking about.
Is this because you delvled your 60 warrior to 30?

harnold
10-14-2014, 12:40 PM
He is saying that he wants the mechanic to be balanced for all levels in the most bitter way possible

Potus
10-14-2014, 01:27 PM
It is absolute hell playing a caster on this server unless you're one of the 2 OP casters that's getting nerfed soon.

So yeah, this shit needs to go.

Nirgon
10-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Melee hit box is way more of an issue, especially for special attacks and the channeling in pvp feels pretty classic atm.

Supposedly/surprisignly LoZ has this working much better.

Have not tested it there myself but it comes from reputable sources.

AffEcT
10-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Melee hit box is way more of an issue, especially for special attacks and the channeling in pvp feels pretty classic atm.

Supposedly/surprisignly LoZ has this working much better.

Have not tested it there myself but it comes from reputable sources.

ok so hitbox is a bigger problem because?
Not being able to cast spells is a big problem if you ask me.
But i take it you play melee right? Keep it real man

Colgate
10-14-2014, 03:19 PM
he plays a wizard

we're saying that hit boxes need to be smaller so that you can't hit people from as far away, aka it should be harder to hit people than it is now

channel rates are fine, the real issue is that melee hit rate is too high

nerfing melee hit rate kills 2 birds with 1 stone; people won't feel that channeling spells when getting hit is as hard when they're getting hit less by melees

Nirgon
10-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Cast through walls for non bolts, trim the shit out of the PvP melee hit box.

I am a WIZARD.

Mac Drettj
10-16-2014, 01:47 PM
Lol

Haynar
10-17-2014, 11:01 AM
How much too big is the hit box? 2 times? 1.5 times. Give me a mark to trim it down. Or actual distances if you know.

Been tied up with stuff at work lately, so haven't worked on much. But should be coding again soon.

H

Nirgon
10-17-2014, 11:36 AM
I'd wager ~3 times too big given how far I've seen people be able to backstab

Fire up a rogue and see how far you can backstab from :).

PvE I believe is fine though. Oddly enough, I'm told LoZ has the hitbox about perfect.

Haynar
10-17-2014, 12:10 PM
It is very easy to adjust the hitbox size. So not suprised LoZ has it fixed. Having devs with more pvp knowledge helps. Just so many things to work on. Will toss something together.

H

Nirgon
10-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks bub. Wasn't trying to say anything other than among all the other whacky stuff on that server it actually has that right and should serve as a good model for comparison =). I am really glad to hear it could be something quick and getting this + pvp resist potentially in the same upcoming patch would be amazing.

Colgate
10-17-2014, 01:08 PM
i'd say cut it down by like a third and we'll go from there

backstab range is even longer here to the point where you could fit like 3 human character models between the rogue and the person they're backstabbing

Technique
10-18-2014, 04:17 PM
How much too big is the hit box? 2 times? 1.5 times. Give me a mark to trim it down. Or actual distances if you know.If anyone has 2 accounts on Live, a quick duel to determine the max range by using /loc and measuring the distance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_distance#Three_dimensions), then accounting for this GoD-era change:

AUGUST 11, 2004

PvP Changes.
* Melee attacks have a 50% increased range. This does not affect thrown weapons or archery.

http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20040811.htmlwould likely reveal what the classic melee range was and whether the stock emu range of 16 units (for targets of size 8 or less) is correct.

PvE I believe is fine though.There's no range difference between PvE and PvP.
backstab range is even longer hereBackstab has the same max range as melee.

Mac Drettj
10-19-2014, 12:04 AM
If anyone has 2 accounts on Live, a quick duel to determine the max range by using /loc and measuring the distance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_distance#Three_dimensions), then accounting for this GoD-era change:
would likely reveal what the classic melee range was and whether the stock emu range of 16 units (for targets of size 8 or less) is correct.

There's no range difference between PvE and PvP.
Backstab has the same max range as melee.

Does this apply to all special attacks? I could a swore kick had longer range than auto attack.

Colgate
10-19-2014, 12:14 AM
ya i'm p sure we tested this a long while back and you could backstab people from further away than you could auto attack

also it seems much easier to land an attack on a player than it is an NPC, don't think they have the same range

Crazycloud
10-19-2014, 12:44 AM
i have a EQlive account if anyone wants to help me fix this? melee pvp box is a BIG issue and if Haynar can easily fix it as he says it would be an awesome help. Can also log in low lvl rogues and test backstab.

will post the video here if i can get someone to help.

Technique
10-19-2014, 08:59 AM
Does this apply to all special attacks? I could a swore kick had longer range than auto attack.Bash/slam, kick, backstab and monk special attacks all have the same range as autoattack.
also it seems much easier to land an attack on a player than it is an NPC, don't think they have the same rangeIf the perceived difference is only when the target is moving then it's netcode-related, because the range is the same (assuming the target mob and the target player are equivalent size).

Haynar
10-19-2014, 09:49 PM
Looking at range for melee. Cutting it down by 1/2. Taking it down by 2/3 was just so small it was rediculous when I was testing.

What about backstab? Should you be facing your target? Melee does not have this restriction, but what about backstab? Seems dumb to land a backstab, facing away from your target in pvp.

H

Colgate
10-19-2014, 10:29 PM
pretty sure it's classic to be able to backstab someone even though you're facing away from them

if that GoD era change is the only time they increased melee attack range, then cutting it down by 33% should yield the same range as it was in classic, but we'll see what it's like with the 50% reduction

Haynar
10-19-2014, 10:38 PM
if that GoD era change is the only time they increased melee attack range, then cutting it down by 33% should yield the same range as it was in classic, but we'll see what it's like with the 50% reduction
It was set to find max size of you and other player.

Then use whatever is more, 8 or your size.

Then doubled it, giving the min distance to hit at 16 for typical player sizes.

Sounds like it would have been best at 10 or 11, based on a 33% reduction. So I probably overkilled it. But I am also not sure if the formula being used is correct either.

Its a guess.

Based on other info I have found, it looks like an incorrect formula in the first place.

So a better guess, maybe is player size1 + player size2, using a min distance of probably 8 or 10.

H

Haynar
10-19-2014, 11:23 PM
From what I found on ranged attacks, the adder for size is size1 + size2, min of 14 + 2. So doing the 33% less, might be size1 + size2, min 12, -2. So it would have a min range of 10, compared to current min range of 16. And it would vary more dynamically with larger sizes.

H

Bazia
10-19-2014, 11:25 PM
haynar all this tweaking is much appreciated