PDA

View Full Version : ahungry eqauction alternative?

Bohab
09-16-2014, 09:07 PM
Any alternative to using the ahungry eqauction site? Like a site that just rips off the data from that site that doesn't require ad blockers to be disabled? Idk how long that site has required ad blockers to be disabled but since I recently just got one installed now that site won't work.

Hogfather
09-16-2014, 10:13 PM
It works just fine for me if I exempt the domain from adblocker. Do that.

God forbid the developer want to get a little revenue in exchange for his time.

loramin
09-17-2014, 12:37 AM
Yes, it's called the wiki. I'm serious: it has a price reporting feature where you can upload logs and then see average prices on items based on what people uploaded.

That's what we all had to use before ahungry was created. Try it and I'm sure you'll soon find that ahungry, with or without ads, is much better.

Swish
09-17-2014, 08:18 AM
God forbid the developer want to get a little revenue in exchange for his time.

This. More self entitlement from the P99 community...be grateful it's there and use it, or build your own "better" version ;)

I find it more accurate than the wiki, especially for keeping ahead of the EC fat cats and their tourist prices.

Secrets
09-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Use NoScript to disable the anti-adblock.

Or just... you know...

turn off your adblocker.

Champion_Standing
09-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Honestly, i use adblock to stop the awful intrusive ads. ie, massive car commercials opening up over an entire page to tell me to play an awesome web game.

A little banner on a small site doesn't bother me too much, as long as it doesn't interfere with functionality it isn't a big deal to whitelist em. But as far as big corporate sites, fuck em, never getting whitelisted.

Tankdan
09-17-2014, 09:06 AM
"Disable on this page only"

Problem solved.

Though, ahungry did look a lot better a week or two ago, not sure whats changed.

Bohab
09-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Use NoScript

This works. Thank you.

The fact that the service was refused cause the dumb banner didn't load puts me in a position to fight back.

I wouldn't even be disabling adds if the flash plugin wasn't constantly stopping and freezing the browser.

tristantio
09-17-2014, 11:39 AM
I added the note regarding ads because I myself (as a long time Ad blocker/proxy user) forget to whitelist sites I intend to support as well.

Do any of the ads cause slow down/lock up problems?

I'm using vimprobable2 under GNU/Linux myself for browsing, which typically has more issues with flash than other browsers (especially on my slow Toughbook CF-29 laptop), but I haven't had any lock up issues with the ads.

Regarding the look of the site, I shuffled some site elements around a little bit (put the search bar at the top vs the right column).

Is it time for a redesign? :)

Wrench
09-17-2014, 12:09 PM
some work place connection now block ads automatically

not to argue with the 'just turn off adblock' geniuses in here

tristantio
09-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Should probably get back to work then :)

Wrench
09-17-2014, 12:22 PM
i neeeed to check on pixels currently being sold which i cant log in to buy

yevea
09-17-2014, 12:30 PM
remote desktop your client on a tablet or work computer

Mistle
09-17-2014, 07:44 PM
The site uses an unusually intrusive ad system. I'm not saying its infected with malware, but I don't trust it at all.

iruinedyourday
09-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Any alternative to using the ahungry eqauction site? Like a site that just rips off the data from that site that doesn't require ad blockers to be disabled? Idk how long that site has required ad blockers to be disabled but since I recently just got one installed now that site won't work.

Maybe already someone suggested this but oyu can permanently unblock adds on specific sites.. I would just permanently unblock adds on that site and let that bro make his dough!

AGH! SEE WHAT I DID THERE?

tristantio
09-17-2014, 07:59 PM
The site uses an unusually intrusive ad system. I'm not saying its infected with malware, but I don't trust it at all.

Just Google adwords. The anti block I wrote myself. Sorry!

baakss
09-17-2014, 09:20 PM

This works. Thank you.

The fact that the service was refused cause the dumb banner didn't load puts me in a position to fight back.

I wouldn't even be disabling adds if the flash plugin wasn't constantly stopping and freezing the browser.

Did you just seriously suggest that somebody devote time to scraping that site for data and build you a tool without ads? Douche.

Bohab
09-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Did you just seriously suggest that somebody devote time to scraping that site for data and build you a tool without ads? Douche.

Nah, I asked if one existed.

Teako
09-18-2014, 07:12 AM
long time ahungry user.. very disappointed by this entire thing. Not whitelisting, ever. Bummer to have lost this incredibly helpful tool that you provided to the community over an anti-adblock shutting down the entire site. You could've at least taken the classy route the way P99 did of saying "please whitelist us." instead of "LOL NO WHITELIST NO TRACKER"

0/10 Trist. Hope you take off the anti-adblock.

Tongpow
09-18-2014, 07:30 AM
https://adblockplus.org/images/224.png

^how not to be a douche about anti-ad block

its his choice though, just don't use the site

mtb tripper
09-18-2014, 10:02 AM
wrench

Crawdad
09-18-2014, 02:05 PM
Laughed out loud. If you don't like it, don't use it. I wish these forums would do the same thing. Heaven forbid you provide a fraction of a cent to the sites you devote countless hours to.

Esheon
09-18-2014, 02:59 PM
I have a simple policy regarding web ads...

By default, everything is unblocked. If the site does any of the following, it gets blocked...

* Auto play video
* Auto play audio
* Pop up/under
* Page fade (whole or partial)

If the page does any of those, and refuses to work with ads blocked, I just block the whole page.

On the ahungry site (mobile), I see 2 small banner ads and one large sidebar ad. I'm fine with that.

It all boils down to one comparison...
"How valuable to me is the free content they're offering?"
Versus
"How annoying are the ads?"

An ad that just sits there, without blocking contact, without making noise, without eating bandwidth, without flashing colors or video... is not annoying.

EDIT: However, I am amused that every time I visit these forums I see an ad for an EQ Cheat Bot.

iruinedyourday
09-19-2014, 02:03 AM
I love these fricken ads. you kno what I do everytime i go to Ahungry? I click em, so you get more ad rev.

Click Ahungry Ads!

CLICK ALL TEH ADS

http://cdn.meme.li/images/300x/5145022.jpg

Ssouky
09-19-2014, 04:52 AM
Honestly, I'm using this a lot and really like the work put into it.
However, last version, the ads are WAY to visible.
More smaller ads would suit me but the huge vertical one between the search and the listing is annoying.

Would it be a big issue to use horizontal banners only ?
There's a real service with this tracker and I'd be glad the developer gets some irl platz out of it. I believe there is a middle ground between no ads and huge screen covering and frame disturbing ads.

Swish
09-19-2014, 07:35 AM
long time ahungry user.. very disappointed by this entire thing. Not whitelisting, ever. Bummer to have lost this incredibly helpful tool that you provided to the community over an anti-adblock shutting down the entire site. You could've at least taken the classy route the way P99 did of saying "please whitelist us." instead of "LOL NO WHITELIST NO TRACKER"

0/10 Trist. Hope you take off the anti-adblock.

Honestly, I'm using this a lot and really like the work put into it.
However, last version, the ads are WAY to visible.
More smaller ads would suit me but the huge vertical one between the search and the listing is annoying.

Would it be a big issue to use horizontal banners only ?
There's a real service with this tracker and I'd be glad the developer gets some irl platz out of it. I believe there is a middle ground between no ads and huge screen covering and frame disturbing ads.

I don't know about you guys but since I've been FORCED to look at these ads I'm completely distraught and can't find any way to enjoy using the site anymore.

I mean LOOK at this! Totally unusable :(

Please fix or I'll ddos it.

http://i.minus.com/jRIY8Rfp0UBfE.jpg

Ssouky
09-19-2014, 08:24 AM
Yeah nice Sarcasm.
http://i.imgur.com/iwLsmn9.png

I'll use your interface, the vertical ad is better located.

Tongpow
09-19-2014, 08:36 AM
yall doin it wrong.

http://i.imgur.com/OCWGIOa.jpg

tristantio
09-19-2014, 09:38 AM
Yeah nice Sarcasm.
http://i.imgur.com/iwLsmn9.png

I'll use your interface, the vertical ad is better located.

Hey Ssouky, that is the old interface which I left in for legacy reasons when I did the first redesign (with a graphical image in the background).

As I've since removed the shot of the EC tunnel and went to a plain background again, I didn't feel it was needed (the maroon/legacy version) so I removed the link for loading it.

You still have the cookie toggling to that version, and I did not test the new ad placement with it so it looks pretty terrible (sorry!)

Clear cookies for the site to go back to the regular (default and only) interface.

Ssouky
09-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Done and it's much better.

(Liked the old look better but the use now is much more enjoyable).

Thanks for your help :)

fzzzt
09-30-2014, 09:19 PM
It's trivial to get around the ad blocker blocker if you know a little JavaScript. return true.

Zliz
10-01-2014, 09:47 AM
tristantio, can you please turn off the rotating "alternative" words that you substitute for "auctions"? Like whimpers, boasts, shouts, etc. They seem to rotate randomly and they shift the entire text left and right constantly.

Thanks.

Cecily
10-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Would probably be better to just have it all auctions.

I've known Xenow for a long time. Been using this site since he released it. Didn't think twice about whitelisting. Hands down the most useful player-made utility for EQ on P99.

myriverse
10-01-2014, 04:28 PM
tristantio, can you please turn off the rotating "alternative" words that you substitute for "auctions"? Like whimpers, boasts, shouts, etc. They seem to rotate randomly and they shift the entire text left and right constantly.

Thanks.
I'm gonna ignore any auctioneer that whimpers or acts bashful just on basic principle.

tristantio
10-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Sure, disabling it now - had added to make sure there wasn't any real reference to "Auctions" to avoid any trademark infringment on the word :)

salimoneus
10-03-2014, 02:49 AM
I don't think the ads are really intrusive or bothersome, and most of them seem game related so I don't mind as much. If they are such a bother, they have these things called web proxies, try a few of them out.

Nice work on the site btw, very useful tool!

themessy
10-03-2014, 06:37 AM
Sure, disabling it now - had added to make sure there wasn't any real reference to "Auctions" to avoid any trademark infringment on the word :)

I didnt even know about this site till a week ago, thank you for your work...this is very helpful!

webrunner5
10-03-2014, 11:10 AM
GNU/Linux has no save your ass stuff. Too scary for me to use. I am sick and tired of hackers. Going the safer way. None is SAFE. :D