PDA

View Full Version : Can we just go back

Ele
09-17-2014, 05:57 PM
to calling it "power looting" or "plooting" or "ploot"?

What is with this "ninja loot" crap?

quido
09-17-2014, 05:58 PM
It's "plunder looting"

Daldaen
09-17-2014, 06:15 PM
Can we go back to the classic UI:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/everquest-jpg.49495/

God that would be so awesome.

Ele
09-17-2014, 07:15 PM

http://i.imgur.com/UuCZQKT.gif

Rooj
09-17-2014, 10:13 PM
The things I would do for that classic UI. And classic sky.

Silverain
09-17-2014, 10:22 PM

I am in the group in that screenshot, ah old Tunare dragon raids.

Lojik
09-17-2014, 10:37 PM

I knew it as ninja looting in classic

Rais
09-17-2014, 10:51 PM
I am in the group in that screenshot, ah old Tunare dragon raids.

People who had no idea how the fuck to get out of that window mode are dumb. Wish people would stop stomping their feet saying that was the only ui. Maybe up to 5 months after eq came out max, till you could press F10

Silverain
09-17-2014, 10:53 PM
I didn't know how to when I first started, and once I found it I didn't use it at first cause I kept clicking myself. I eventually got used to it though, and now couldn't do that again.

Grimjaw
09-17-2014, 11:01 PM
silverain, how many were on that raid lol

Kender
09-17-2014, 11:11 PM
never heard of those terms. was always ninja'd or ninja looted

Silverain
09-17-2014, 11:22 PM
silverain, how many were on that raid lol

I would have to find my old screenshots with more people in front of me since I was always sitting as a wiz. Would assume 30 or 40 usually. I remember we'd sometimes do buffs in the big fang room, and have buffers sit in the 4 corners and ppl would line up, and sometimes have to camp out to keep buffs.

Grimjaw
09-17-2014, 11:27 PM
ya we would camp out and goto one of the chat rooms from server select :)

Potus
09-17-2014, 11:38 PM
never heard of those terms. was always ninja'd or ninja looted

Ele
09-18-2014, 12:26 AM
All you people that haven't heard of power looting are bad. RT

iruinedyourday
09-18-2014, 12:36 AM

I was disappointed it wasn't here when I started on the server.

now that I am a spoiled baby and am playing the best hybrid of classic/modern UI EQ.. I would be sad to have 1 chat box.

That said, if the staff said it be so, I shall say YES MY LORDS!

applesauce25r624
09-18-2014, 12:55 AM

ultima online term

shit is more classic than classic

themessy
09-18-2014, 01:01 AM
All you people that haven't heard of power looting are bad. RT

Ninja looting has never been called that...ever.

kaev
09-18-2014, 01:08 AM
I never heard "power looting" in EQ until this thread, did hear "ninja looting" from early on referring to taking others' loot (raid mobs and quillmane cloak mostly)

myriverse
09-18-2014, 10:24 AM

Go back? It was always "ninja loot."

Only time I've ever heard of ploot is was a term for nasty smelling vaj.

Daldaen
09-18-2014, 11:37 AM
Don't care much about this but...

Bard AE kiting is AE kiting, not swarm kiting.
Aggro is aggro. Not Argo. Not threat.... It's aggro.
Faction is faction. Not reputation.

Get your filthy WoW terms away from my classic box.

Turp
09-18-2014, 11:55 AM
I thought it was ...

Powerlooters is the person who takes your loot than stays online, wearing it in your face. Or maybe one of those people who just loot everything with no regard to the other groups an members helping. Loot whore.

Ninja loot is where they take your loot, than log off, leaving a GM to track an find.

bluejam
09-18-2014, 12:00 PM
powerlooting makes absolutely no sense when you think about "ninja looting".

Abner
09-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Always been ninja looting for me. Perhaps your server was less refined than mine in the old days. =-P

Non Quixote
09-18-2014, 12:15 PM
Ninja loot ftw. Never heard the term "power looter" before this thread. But I didn't start playing Live until Luclin launched, so maybe it was used prior to?

Then again, I've never heard the term used in any other MMO that I've played. I remember the term "ninja looter" used frequently on the old PoMS (http://thetribunaldotorg.yuku.com/topic/4156/Players-To-Avoid-Pieces-of-Monkey-Shit#.VBsH1hbp4vw) list.

Daldaen
09-18-2014, 12:20 PM
http://web.archive.org/web/20010412094858im_/http://www.everquester.com/graphics/dain02.jpg

What a hot screenshot. Velious, classic UI, classic split mechanics, single chat box, single Hotbutton bar. So damn classic. I hope we can get that require before Velious drops. It will make the scene much better.

kenzar
09-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Never heard 'power looting' or 'plooting' during my time on live, it wasn't until p99 that I heard that term. On Rallos back in '99 we called it 'jew looting' and eventually the GMs starting handing out suspensions for racial slurs whenever anyone would call another person out on it. Then I noticed it started to be replaced with 'ninja looting'. Was this progression the norm for anyone else? It's hard to tell for me because RZ players generally had no qualms in dropping a string of racial slurs until GMs started pushing back.

HeallunRumblebelly
09-18-2014, 12:26 PM
http://web.archive.org/web/20010412094858im_/http://www.everquester.com/graphics/dain02.jpg

What a hot screenshot. Velious, classic UI, classic split mechanics, single chat box, single Hotbutton bar. So damn classic. I hope we can get that require before Velious drops. It will make the scene much better.

belt of dwarf slaying right there. so much temptation.

Ket
09-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Never heard 'power looting' or 'plooting' during my time on live, it wasn't until p99 that I heard that term. On Rallos back in '99 we called it 'jew looting' and eventually the GMs starting handing out suspensions for racial slurs whenever anyone would call another person out on it. Then I noticed it started to be replaced with 'ninja looting'. Was this progression the norm for anyone else? It's hard to tell for me because RZ players generally had no qualms in dropping a string of racial slurs until GMs started pushing back.

Lol @ Jew looting.

loramin
09-18-2014, 02:12 PM
I never heard "power looting" in EQ until this thread

Esheon
09-18-2014, 02:41 PM

And faction is faction, not fraction.

/Though I don't see that as much now, it annoyed the hell out of me on Live...

Joyelle
09-18-2014, 05:24 PM

Actually, I heard (saw?) the term "swarm kiting" on live pre-WoW on my server, but it was used to refer to what's now known as "charm kiting" in EQ.

Also, saw people say "argo" instead of aggro during that time. Though I agree, it should be 2 g's and the way vBulletin autocorrects it to say "agro" drives me bonkers. You are totally right about "threat" though, as I never heard it called that until WoW.

Ninja looting was always called ninja looting or ninja'ing where I grew up (kikou Karana!)

uygi
09-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Actually, I heard (saw?) the term "swarm kiting" on live pre-WoW on my server, but it was used to refer to what's now known as "charm kiting" in EQ.

Yeah, I originally learned swarm kiting is when you charm one mob at a time in the group and the others beat it down. On this server it seems to mean kiting anything bigger than quadding. I now call using wands swarming. I blame others!

vinx
09-18-2014, 06:17 PM
I vaguely recall plooting on live as someone who automatically loots anything and everything before others (rogues were notorious) but i never liked the sound of that word or maybe it was the spelling. either way i never picked it up.
ninja looters was totally different, it was someone in or out of group who would loot a rare then log

Tantrix
09-19-2014, 05:11 AM
ninja looters was totally different, it was someone in or out of group who would loot a rare then log

On Lanys back in the day, "ninja looter" just referred to anyone looting shit as soon as it dropped. Usually this would be someone in group looting a no-drop before anyone even got a chance to roll, but could also be someone from outside the group coming by and snagging it because someone didn't have the corpse locked. With tradeable items, eventually the term "ML" came about (main looter) who was just someone who looted everything until the group finished clearing mobs then everyone would then roll and the ML would distribute. Then lastly, "NBG" which was actually pretty nice when an item would drop that was only usable by you, and also an upgrade...it was yours.

As far as "power looting"...not sure what game OP was playing, never heard of it in EQ and I was playing this 15 years ago.

Mirana
09-19-2014, 09:16 AM
I vaguely recall plooting on live as someone who automatically loots anything and everything before others (rogues were notorious) but i never liked the sound of that word or maybe it was the spelling. either way i never picked it up.

This is the context in which I always heard them used.

Power looting refers to someone who quickly loots mobs when they die and tends to amass the sellables and plat w/o sharing.

Ninja looting is someone who takes a highly valued item and drops group/camps/DC's.

Droxx
09-19-2014, 09:20 AM
Lol @ ele complaining about something that is classic.

skipdog
09-19-2014, 09:33 AM
As a longtime gamer and MMO player, I've never heard the term 'power looting' before this individual thread.

Lagaidh
09-19-2014, 04:45 PM
I had never heard the term Poopsock before recreating Lagaidh here on p99 and running to the Butcherblock docks for the first time.

A dead troll named Poopsock was at the end of the pier next to the dwarf NPC.

Now, I don't want to say I laughed too hard or too long at that level of joke, but the pot helped.

Arterian
09-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Ninja looting is classic. The original UI is fantastic on a 17" CRT. I don't think I could play with that these days.

Orruar
09-19-2014, 05:41 PM

So the GMs were cool with "ninja looting"? Ninjas deserve protection from derogatory terms the same as anyone else.

zanderklocke
09-19-2014, 06:10 PM

iruinedyourday
09-19-2014, 06:13 PM
what is swarm kiting I wonder.

Sadre Spinegnawer
09-19-2014, 06:19 PM
Was called "booty sniffing" on Quellious -- aka, always kneeling down on the mob right after every kill.

Actually, I just made that up. Pretty sure it was called "gaslighting" on Quellious, iirc

ooo, deep shit there sadre <rolls eyes>

Brohl
09-20-2014, 06:00 PM
On Quellious, back in the day it was usually called ninja looting. Never heard Power Looting, though I do recall "Loot Whore" and a very few times "gaslighting"

Clark
09-21-2014, 10:20 AM

:|

Baler
09-21-2014, 01:17 PM
I've heard it called Power Looting & Ninja Looting in classic.
I believe power looting was slightly more popular in the group of people I played with.
There was a couple people who called it thief looting too. they'd say TL TL and people would just look at them funny.

mrgoochio
09-22-2014, 08:38 AM
i played on quellious too. i was on fellowship of the phoenix and also hero of heros on that server iirc..

Javacup
09-22-2014, 09:12 AM
Rogean thinks that UI is ugly.

Neno
09-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Are there really so many of you that didn't know you could hit f10 to go full screen during classic? And f9 was for 3rd person.

Daldaen
09-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Are there really so many of you that didn't know you could hit f10 to go full screen during classic? And f9 was for 3rd person.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Kemadin/mm02.jpg

Equally classic UI. Single chat box. Single Hotbutton box. No percentages. Yellow name for the group leader.

I will take the above forced UI as well! Because classic.

Tecmos Deception
09-22-2014, 09:53 AM
People who had no idea how the fuck to get out of that window mode are dumb. Wish people would stop stomping their feet saying that was the only ui. Maybe up to 5 months after eq came out max, till you could press F10

I was about 50/50 in that UI mode even when you could start using the semi-transparent ones. The animated class icons were worth staring at.

Issar
09-22-2014, 10:00 AM
The animated class icons were worth staring at.

This