PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Charm not properly charming NPC *or* PC pets

xblade724
09-19-2014, 03:22 AM
Charming PC **OR** even NPC pet "will not take hold".. is this a bug? Doesn't seem right.....

Nirgon
09-19-2014, 11:43 AM
It should insta gib summoned pets if it lands.

Should not hit players.

xblade724
09-19-2014, 11:51 AM
It should insta gib summoned pets if it lands.

Should not hit players.

Right (gib = give? lol) --

* Charm NPC/PC pet, nothing happens (spell will not take hold)
* Charm NPC pet owner, success + owner's pet suicides
* Charm PC pet owner, nothing happens (spell will not take hold).

Charming the NPC pet's (not their masters) from either a NPC or PC will fail due to "protection". I believe this is not correct: You should be able to charm NPC/PC pets, right? Like a shadowman npc's necro pet, or a real player's mage pet?

Nirgon
09-19-2014, 12:10 PM
Gib = insta kill

Bards on RZ insta killed mage epic pets all da time :P

Puppet strings etc should do this too, not just bard charm

And on the other hand... bard chants/denon's etc should be very easy to resist

xblade724
09-19-2014, 12:23 PM
WOW that's really interesting... so if I charm the pet itself = insta kill hm?

I suppose it's two things:
1) Currently a bug since nothing happens when you charm pets themselves ~ need to remove that "protection", almost like pvp protection
2) Freaking awesome

Nirgon
09-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Well don't get too excited all at once

A summoned pet with an MR buff was nearly magic immune if it didn't get tashed/dispelled. This worked out of the box on the Lucid Vision server years ago for some reason.

xblade724
09-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Well don't get too excited all at once

A summoned pet with an MR buff was nearly magic immune if it didn't get tashed/dispelled. This worked out of the box on the Lucid Vision server years ago for some reason.

Hmm, it's not that it's getting resisted though, it's just plain "not working". Like, "The spell will not take hold" or something like that, as if I cast a damage song on an OOR person.

High resists is cool -- It would be fun to just have a "chance" of that happening. As long as *something* can be at least attempted~

slightly off topic, but resists Q: I remember on pvp, they made it so that even if you have 10000MR, there would always be a very small % of something landing no matter what (never 100% blocking) from pure luck.. does this apply here too?

Vandy
09-19-2014, 12:38 PM
You can charm an NPC's pet once the owner is dead. If the NPC is still alive then the charm will fail as it already has a master.

Nirgon
09-19-2014, 12:53 PM
Hmm, it's not that it's getting resisted though, it's just plain "not working". Like, "The spell will not take hold" or something like that, as if I cast a damage song on an OOR person.

High resists is cool -- It would be fun to just have a "chance" of that happening. As long as *something* can be at least attempted~

slightly off topic, but resists Q: I remember on pvp, they made it so that even if you have 10000MR, there would always be a very small % of something landing no matter what (never 100% blocking) from pure luck.. does this apply here too?

Had an even con pal on live fully resist a conflag when he was on a CR (no buffs/gear).

Don't think that can happen here.

Grimjaw
09-19-2014, 12:56 PM
sounds like we need to implement some classicness over here

Pudge
09-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Had an even con pal on live fully resist a conflag when he was on a CR (no buffs/gear).

Don't think that can happen here.

Yes. Resist gear is given too much weight here in general. On live, there was simply a higher "randomness" factor in terms of how spells landed. (Could very rarely full resist even naked - but also get blasted for max damage even at 255 resist. Partials also had a wider range) Here, we have a very tight band of possibilities at any given resist.

Pudge
09-19-2014, 02:18 PM
As for the pets, there was a short time during classic that I remember charming a mage's pet and sending it on to him was my favorite activity. But that got changed pretty early -> no more pet charming. (Didn't poof the pet, just wasn't able to charm). That's my recollection

Grimjaw
09-19-2014, 11:17 PM
but also get blasted for max damage even at 255 resist.

that was like luclin braah, new expansion patch dropped messing everything up for a bit (getting rooted with full mr gear). we were ridin our luclin mounts.
they eventually put it back tho

Pudge
09-23-2014, 12:21 PM
that was like luclin braah, new expansion patch dropped messing everything up for a bit (getting rooted with full mr gear). we were ridin our luclin mounts.
they eventually put it back tho

Yes. But before that luclin patch there was still a decent chance to land for full on nukes. (Not root). I thought it was 5,% someone (daldaen?) says it was 7% you can see in the other thread

Nirgon
09-24-2014, 11:52 AM
tl;dr

-> Summoned pets should insta poof if charmed by another player (bonus: if an NPC controlling a summoned pet is 1 shot, the pet should also die instantly.. not sure if that ever got fixed)
-> To offset this (and classic) pets with resist magic cast on them should be nigh immune to root / charm / stun / blind / fear (I don't play a pet class so its no selfish wish of any kind, this is one thing that's sure to make pvp against these classes hell for me and greatly increase the usefulness of 2 basically useless classes atm)

Happy coding, we love when the shit is made classic

Colgate
09-25-2014, 01:01 AM
have seen mage epic pet get rooted way too easily here

Potus
09-25-2014, 01:29 AM
Pets have zero resist during this era. Super classic, bros.

Nirgon
09-25-2014, 02:14 PM
Aside from being MR buffed or the mage epic pet... sounds about right unfortunately and you should start a dispel on your pet when you see a root/snare coming.

A sowed + mr buffed pet with true classic functionality is strong tho and unless dispelled shouldn't ever get rooted.

Beisser / Finastik (mage/druid) & Ennart / Babumten (necro/shaman) put this to great use back in the D.

Haynar
10-08-2014, 11:29 PM
Will get you part way there.

Charming a player summoned pet will be made to kill it. Not going to do it for NPC pets, until I have more info.

H

xblade724
10-09-2014, 02:05 AM
Will get you part way there.

Charming a player summoned pet will be made to kill it. Not going to do it for NPC pets, until I have more info.

H

Cool, thank you for giving some love to bards after all ~ very much appreciated.

NPC pets, it's up to you .. it wouldn't break anything since charming a NPC kills the pet anyway, would save about 3 ticks of waiting for charm to break to deal with the NPC without pet.

I can't remember how these mechanics worked on classic live, though. It was some sort of mix-and-match of charming one or the other/both kills off pet.