PDA

View Full Version : Teams Server Idea

Drakaris
09-22-2014, 12:34 AM
Hi Guys,

I know teams wont be out until after Velious, but let me know what u guys reckon about this idea!

3 Factions like SZ breakdown, however, unlike SZ, add a fourth 'Agnostic'/'Atheist'/'Chaotic' category, which is a 'FFA' category (currently like the way pvp is now).

Each faction gets coin and tokens from a slain opposition and can renounce their religion to become 'FFA', which can attack each other just like any other faction, be affected by negative AOE spells etc, but can only group with their own 'FFA' faction. It is basically like a purgatory or unaligned KOS faction, but can be used as a middle ground to swap to another faction.

The quest to join another faction involves gathering tokens from other factions. If you wish to join Nuetral, you need to gather X amount of tokens from slain 'Good faction' players and X amount of tokens from slain 'Evil Faction' players where X is scaled depending on a script that does weekly tallies on the play time/activity for each faction, where the faction that has the highest pop/activity will need to be killed the most for the faction alignment quest.

Also, where the server has an overwhelming population of say, "Evil" the quest giver may not offer the opportunity to convert from the 4th 'KOS' faction to Evil, meaning players only have the choice of converting to Good or Nuetral.

This almost works like a load-balancer to make end game content more interesting. It also requires a higher server pop to work well.

I'd definitely be willing to throw in Dev time to make said mechanics work :P

Heyitsme
09-22-2014, 12:41 AM
I came here to poopoo your teams thread, but i gotta say this is pretty good as i think this will be the most difficult thing with a teams server, the pop balance. That teams are hardcoded, where on red someone can just switch teams by changing guild tags.

Still, if red can barely sustain enough players to make server enjoyable, unless we see a massive influx of players during Velious, i dont see how a teams server will help in anything. Some players will move, some will stay, leading to a split and already low pop, Teams probably will have an OP side, leading to some people basically quitting EQ emu.

I like the idea though, and if we get a miraculous 600-800 pop after velious, maybe i could see this working.

Bosh
09-22-2014, 12:44 AM
token mechanic can be exploited, but does have some good ideas about it, where'd you copy/paste this from? lol

Swyft
09-22-2014, 02:11 AM
Hi Guys,

I know teams wont be out until after Velious, but let me know what u guys reckon about this idea!

3 Factions like SZ breakdown, however, unlike SZ, add a fourth 'Agnostic'/'Atheist'/'Chaotic' category, which is a 'FFA' category (currently like the way pvp is now).

Each faction gets coin and tokens from a slain opposition and can renounce their religion to become 'FFA', which can attack each other just like any other faction, be affected by negative AOE spells etc, but can only group with their own 'FFA' faction. It is basically like a purgatory or unaligned KOS faction, but can be used as a middle ground to swap to another faction.

The quest to join another faction involves gathering tokens from other factions. If you wish to join Nuetral, you need to gather X amount of tokens from slain 'Good faction' players and X amount of tokens from slain 'Evil Faction' players where X is scaled depending on a script that does weekly tallies on the play time/activity for each faction, where the faction that has the highest pop/activity will need to be killed the most for the faction alignment quest.

Also, where the server has an overwhelming population of say, "Evil" the quest giver may not offer the opportunity to convert from the 4th 'KOS' faction to Evil, meaning players only have the choice of converting to Good or Nuetral.

This almost works like a load-balancer to make end game content more interesting. It also requires a higher server pop to work well.

I'd definitely be willing to throw in Dev time to make said mechanics work :P

I like the idea but don't think we have a large enough pop to essentially support 3 teams let alone 4.

I would say make 2 teams Good and Evil and make Neutral FFA.

I would also make newt's able to group with Goods and Evils, this makes them both an asset and a liability. They can aid a team but the team they're aiding loses the ability to freely throw AE effects as it will hit they're neutral buddies.

Neutrals now can choose to guild or group with any team BUT they have the downside of being able to be hit by every team including they're own.

Pretty fair and balanced with bonus and minus to each team.

Psykes
09-22-2014, 02:33 AM
eqpvp.com enough said

Rec
09-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Anything FFA in a teams server seems to defeat the purpose of why we would want a teams server in the first place.

Eslade
09-22-2014, 09:53 AM
Cap guilds at 50 total members. Have server be guild versus guild. If you don't join a guild then you can be attacked as well as attack anybody else. Add item loot, xp loss and crank up xp a bit.

Heyitsme
09-22-2014, 09:55 AM
xp loss and crank up xp a bit.

Fuck no, no one but a small % of neckbeards or lulz so funnay griefers want to grind PVE to do PVP once youre done with the level 60 grind.

That was the biggest mistake that was ever made about the server, who knows what pop would look like if they had changed this earlier

Have numbskulls like Leduke lulzsofunnay'ing all day griefing noobs in cloth in CB and other low lvl zones, semi-casuals like me who have their fun campin items once in a while and pvping people like Leduke with my lowbies quitting because sick to death of poopsocking, till numbers drop to single digit, which would only repeat what happened when server launched

Tassador
09-22-2014, 10:10 AM
God kah nay diaw sucks ass

georgie
09-22-2014, 10:15 AM
so just bind camp people?

Mac Drettj
09-22-2014, 11:15 AM
200 pop split into 4?

naw

unless 2 boxing is allowed, teams will never success, not enough players

Rec
09-22-2014, 11:24 AM
200 pop for teams would be the hopes and dreams of existing FFA characters praying their server rules don't go bye bye when the two servers are eventually merged.

Sk00ba5t3v3
09-22-2014, 10:13 PM
eqpvp.com enough said

Looks.....not so promising so far.

Kergan
09-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Drakar pretty much describing the EQ2 PVP system mechanics. They made it easier with only 2 factions.

Good/Evil with a betrayal quest that makes you a 3rd exile faction - makes you KOS to both sides (including NPCs) and also other exiles. You can choose to stay exile, removing your ability to group with good/evil, visit vendors, complete quests, bank, etc. But you get to attack everyone.

Azure
09-22-2014, 10:24 PM
This suggestion went through about 200 iterations. Is actually part of the plan, for votes. Probably will be ignored and never implemented. Also, velious?

Drakaris
09-22-2014, 10:29 PM
Drakar pretty much describing the EQ2 PVP system mechanics. They made it easier with only 2 factions.

Good/Evil with a betrayal quest that makes you a 3rd exile faction - makes you KOS to both sides (including NPCs) and also other exiles. You can choose to stay exile, removing your ability to group with good/evil, visit vendors, complete quests, bank, etc. But you get to attack everyone.

Damn, I guess that means some other development team thought of that idea and put it into practice.

It seems like a pretty cool system, the only thing you need to be wary of is making it disadvantageous enough for a raiding guild to majorly handicap them if they decide to all go "FFA/Exile" to prevent a zerg. Beneficial AOE bard songs not hitting out of group members and AOE damage spells hitting all players could be enough. Maybe remove the ability to heal non-group member as an "FFA/Exile", lots of mechanics to play with.

Gwynraven
09-23-2014, 06:08 AM
Looks.....not so promising so far.

No team, FFA pvp , quick exp, classic loots as manastone and DE mask , Velious.

Custom content , city wars

Looks great if you ask me

Sear
09-23-2014, 06:31 AM
How many zones are there versus how many concurrent players (realistically)?

first thing that should be considered with these boxes

if I were to try some custom deal that was in direct competition with R99, which is an uphill battle already, I'd start by condensing the number of zones to <25

classic pve immersion would be broken in one sense, but you might actually see other players that way (which in itself is a classic thing that has been missing from virtually every red box)

Quiet
09-23-2014, 07:16 AM
Would never be a large enough player base to support this. The very best your looking at on a team server is an initial population of 200-300 ( super over estimated) and a settled population of around 200 max. Split by 3 teams and add FFA and u've got either a 1 sided shit show or just no not enough around to fight

Tradesonred
09-23-2014, 09:01 AM
Would never be a large enough player base to support this. The very best your looking at on a team server is an initial population of 200-300 ( super over estimated) and a settled population of around 200 max. Split by 3 teams and add FFA and u've got either a 1 sided shit show or just no not enough around to fight

Thats my main concern towards a new teams server. First to me FFA is much better because of fluid, non-hardcoded teams.

Second even if we hit 800 on red with Velious and have population to spare for teams, how lame would it be to finally have interesting population levels after 3 long years of winter, leading to possible non-toxic guilds and a change of status quo for red, only to have it split and gimped with a new server that probably wont last because of how attention intensive a Teams server is compared to a FFA server, if you want to make sure the population balance doesnt lead to an OP side and people quitting on other sides.

Pudge
09-23-2014, 09:33 AM

This, and drakar's idea, sound like interesting options. GMs should file this thread for revisiting when they consider teams. If i remember, ill use #teams to find it myself in the future.

Kergan
09-23-2014, 10:06 AM
Damn, I guess that means some other development team thought of that idea and put it into practice.

It seems like a pretty cool system, the only thing you need to be wary of is making it disadvantageous enough for a raiding guild to majorly handicap them if they decide to all go "FFA/Exile" to prevent a zerg. Beneficial AOE bard songs not hitting out of group members and AOE damage spells hitting all players could be enough. Maybe remove the ability to heal non-group member as an "FFA/Exile", lots of mechanics to play with.

The biggest difference between EQ and EQ2 was I believe you could be a necro for example on either side. It was pretty much an RP type of choice. It gets a bit wonky here unless you don't divide the teams up based on any sort of lore...just split shit up even as possible. Put trolls and ogres on different teams for example.

Mac Drettj
09-23-2014, 10:49 AM
oh cool

Sk00ba5t3v3
09-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Teams wont work unless they get rid of red. Not enough players. Imagine if red now split into teams, it would be impossible to find a group and there viably could be maybe one guild per team.

If they ditch red for teams, which they most assuredly wont do, teams would have a shot.