PDA

View Full Version : Monk weapon question

Dualform
09-25-2014, 12:44 AM
Currently, my 54 monk has a tranquil staff and has a Runed Bolster Belt.

I am thinking about selling the tranquil staff and buying a staff of shielding and spending the rest of the coin on my alts, will this be a big damper on my DPS since I don't have my epic? Are there any other cheap purchases like SoS I could make?

Thanks!

Pheer
09-25-2014, 12:54 AM
I am thinking about selling the tranquil staff and buying a staff of shielding and spending the rest of the coin on my alts, will this be a big damper on my DPS since I don't have my epic?

yes

Are there any other cheap purchases like SoS I could make?

Could get jade mace/sos. Youd still be losing dps switching to that from tranq staff Im pretty sure, but it wouldnt be as shitty as trying to use non-epic fist ratio.

Alternatively you could downgrade to a peacebringer or IFS.

Dualform
09-25-2014, 01:04 AM
Very cool, thanks for the quick response and detailed alternatives !

Captun
09-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Could get jade mace/sos. Youd still be losing dps switching to that from tranq staff Im pretty sure, but it wouldnt be as shitty as trying to use non-epic fist ratio.

Alternatively you could downgrade to a peacebringer or IFS.

What is the general idea behind 2H vs Duals? As of now I am using a Quivering, I am debating what weapon to buy next. I thought of saving for a Peacebringer, but I also want a SoS with either an Adamantite Club or another decent 1h. I am a returning player however I never played a Monk on live. Someone told me to get a SoS/KnuckleDuster while I save for another 1h. I already have a Trance Stick in bank at the moment, but I am getting more damage and surviving better using a 2h.

justin2090
09-25-2014, 12:51 PM
SoS/SoS since ada club doesnt proc till 50. SoS is cheap now too. Thank you chardok aoe groups!!

Phantasm
09-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Pretty much play how you want to. The difference between epic fist + SoS and 2hand dps is not really that big a deal. The upside of a 2h is that you get less riposte procs and damage shields are not such a big threat.

Pretty much what you want to do is get epic, SoS, and any 2hand. Get Adamantite Club for the stun proc and you'll be pretty well set. TStaff is good, but IFS, RFS, Peacebringer are all good as well. I'd only suggest TStaff if you have the plat available or if you are really really really really into PvP.

jpetrick
09-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Tstaff will outparse epic + sos quite easily with 200 or so dex and even more so if you weapon swap to get an extra round in.

Lazie
09-28-2014, 07:01 PM
Tstaff will outparse epic + sos quite easily with 200 or so dex and even more so if you weapon swap to get an extra round in.

Completely false. Epic Fist/SoS will win pure dpsing. Tstaff will win tanking.

Phantasm
09-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Well Elzhi I was taking into account the fact they don't have an epic, so I'd assume they don't have 200+ Dex for procs. Really it comes down to your personal preference :)

Get your epic, best advice I can give you

jpetrick
09-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Completely false. Epic Fist/SoS will win pure dpsing. Tstaff will win tanking.

Have you parsed this? I only hit 67 dps with epic/sos I can hit well over 70 with my tstaff, even higher when I weapon swap for an extra attack.

Diemore
09-29-2014, 12:41 AM
Have you parsed this? I only hit 67 dps with epic/sos I can hit well over 70 with my tstaff, even higher when I weapon swap for an extra attack.

This...

I've asked dozens and everyone has a different story.

Other than actually parsing it myself, have others parsed and have factual evidence one way or another?

The message I seem to get is t-staff is a few % better.

At the end of the day, is epic/sos or t-staff better dps when procs are included. Assuming >200 dex??

jpetrick
09-29-2014, 01:43 AM
Epic/Sos is better if procs are excluded. T-staff is a ton of damage with 200 + dex, and even more so when you swap weapons to swing your fist in between rounds.

SyanideGas
09-29-2014, 02:29 AM
Slang that tstaff and get a peacebringer + deck out an alt imo.

Lazie
09-29-2014, 04:28 PM
This...

I've asked dozens and everyone has a different story.

Other than actually parsing it myself, have others parsed and have factual evidence one way or another?

The message I seem to get is t-staff is a few % better.

At the end of the day, is epic/sos or t-staff better dps when procs are included. Assuming >200 dex??

I used to have parses of it when I was leveling (Been over a year since I leveled my monk and those logs were on a laptop I no longer have). The epic/SoS always parsed higher when I was fear kiting with intimidate and the tstaff would win out when I was tanking and eating ripostes/blocks etc.

I would use the tstaff till the intimate triggered then use epic/SoS. I think they have nerfed intimidate since then though. So it doesn't work as godly as it used to.

Lazie
09-29-2014, 04:32 PM

Again it's situational but in non-tanking situations the t-staff will lose. I no longer have a tstaff as I sold it when I got a Bo Staff of Trorsmang(Thanks TMO our very first raid together) off of Nexona. The parses are on my old laptop but the fists and SoS won pretty handily.

teija
09-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Again it's situational but in non-tanking situations the t-staff will lose. I no longer have a tstaff as I sold it when I got a Bo Staff of Trorsmang(Thanks TMO our very first raid together) off of Nexona. The parses are on my old laptop but the fists and SoS won pretty handily.

I would agree with this,As a 60 monk who has parsed both T-staff and Epic/SoS on many mobs i can tell you that in most situations T-staff will lose unless u have godly dex and are great and not missing a swap for extra round. I have found epic/SoS to be more reliable dps.

Kender
09-29-2014, 04:38 PM
I used to have parses of it when I was leveling (Been over a year since I leveled my monk and those logs were on a laptop I no longer have). The epic/SoS always parsed higher when I was fear kiting with intimidate and the tstaff would win out when I was tanking and eating ripostes/blocks etc.

I would use the tstaff till the intimate triggered then use epic/SoS. I think they have nerfed intimidate since then though. So it doesn't work as godly as it used to.

it wasnt nerfed it was bug fixed

Lazie
09-29-2014, 09:57 PM
it wasnt nerfed it was bug fixed

Same difference. It got changed from the way it worked before.

Kender
09-29-2014, 10:44 PM
not the same difference. a nerf indcates it's been depowered from it's original intention.

a bug means it wasnt working right in the first place.

Intimidate was never working as it should have and has finally been fixed. it was bordering on exploit how it was before

Lazie
09-30-2014, 04:23 AM
not the same difference. a nerf indcates it's been depowered from it's original intention.

a bug means it wasnt working right in the first place.

Intimidate was never working as it should have and has finally been fixed. it was bordering on exploit how it was before

Uhm, I guess we have different opinions of what an exploit is. Fearing a mob at about a 60% success rate isn't an exploit. It's pretty bad for a skill you train up. I get that the checks and animation were wrong but it actually worked before a good amount and seemed pretty balanced for the most part. I mean what is the point of training a skill that isn't going to work ? Never made sense in classic when Fear spells would land on blue con mobs pretty consistently for other classes.