PDA

View Full Version : What Classic EQ should be (game mechanics discussion)

stifling
09-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Just thought that a discussion of what core game mechanics alterations could be made to make the game more fun / compelling / more role-play friendly...

Ill start with:

Why doesn't agility directly affect run-speed more than it does?

nyclin
09-30-2014, 01:46 PM
Agility never affected runspeed on live as far as I'm aware. I quit when PoP came out, so I'm not sure what happened after that.

Nirgon
09-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Why can I see for miles at night as a human is a better question!

JK, that's prob the hardest thing to get fixing here.

Not to mention... fear of back lash if it went in (why?).

Wrench
09-30-2014, 02:01 PM
human night vision is actually pretty poor here, in spurts

then the moon comes out (or something?) and it will get dramatically better

might just be something on my system though *shrug*

evilkorn
09-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Barb Shaman here, some zones are pretty worthless at night and I find myself recasting Acumen all the time, and not only for see invis.

iruinedyourday
09-30-2014, 02:30 PM
Permadeath

myriverse
09-30-2014, 04:14 PM
Yeah, AGI has zero affect on run speed.

Haynar
09-30-2014, 04:19 PM
Why can I see for miles at night as a human is a better question!

JK, that's prob the hardest thing to get fixing here.

Not to mention... fear of back lash if it went in (why?).
I have something coded to make night darker. Whether it makes the cut to get put in, that remains to be seen.

H

Skydash
09-30-2014, 04:23 PM
AGI and run speed is a good one.

I always thought INT being used to determine Skill Cap would be interesting.

But then I would make an EXP system that allowed you to actually buy Skill Trains, and do away with auto skill up. It seems like a real skill system was almost put into this game, and then for convenience sake and simplicity they just did away with it all and left us with no choices.

Daldaen
09-30-2014, 04:35 PM
What the OP meant was what were things that should've been done during Classic to make it better.

I think he knows AGI didn't influence Runspeed.

For me, a lot of it would have been balance.

Complete heal should've been removed entirely and the priests rebalanced from that point.
Slows should have been capped at a much lower percentage like 25-30%, 65-70% slow was a stupid idea later fixed by mitigation.
Warriors should've had some form of snap aggro.
Hybrids shouldve had discs - Knights specifically should've gotten deflection disc... That was one of the greatest additions to the class.
All types of CC (root, mez, slow, snare, stun) immunity should've been in from the get go.
Tradeskills should've been useful
There should've been WAY less magic immune mobs. (All of the mobs in monk epic chain are magic immune... Now how many mobs can you count that melee can't attack? Hosh and Gore cause slows and maybe Rak and Queen Chardok cause huge DoT -- all manageable with dispelling/curing. No amount of debuffing allows me to stick magic dots on MR immune mobs)... Or at the very least, make more mobs immune to Melee to balance that out.

Oh and Anon/role should've been removed entirely. Dumb additions to game, it's a social game learn to get asked for buffs, rezzes, ports and assistance. Stop hiding.

iruinedyourday
09-30-2014, 04:40 PM
What the OP meant was what were things that should've been done during Classic to make it better.

Permadeath :D

holsteinrx7
09-30-2014, 04:43 PM
I have something coded to make night darker. Whether it makes the cut to get put in, that remains to be seen.

H

my human sees like classic at night. drastic change when i flip over to a ogre.

rollin5k
09-30-2014, 04:47 PM
Change classic eq and you get garbage noobs.
Human vision is broken here its suppose to be so dark no gAmma adjustment can fix it... Sad

kaev
09-30-2014, 05:05 PM
Change classic eq and you get garbage noobs.
Human vision is broken here its suppose to be so dark no gAmma adjustment can fix it... Sad

Not true, I was playing in 1999 and that is simply not true. Anybody who had sexy Voodoo-based graphics was allowed by the EQ classic client to adjust gamma. This was an in-game control provided by the classic client, iirc you had to choose OpenGL to get access to it. The only issue was the need to adjust it back down for daylight in bright (ice and desert) terrain during daylight.

Just fucking stop with these bullshit attempts to make every human/barb/erudite suffer as if they were playing with shitty off-brand graphics in 1999. It's lame, it's stupid, it's based on lies and ignorance.

That's not to say that nighttime wasn't way cooler looking with the original engine, it was. But actual nightblindness was not enforced by the client unless you had non-Voodoo graphics or didn't know about the gamma adjustment.

rollin5k
09-30-2014, 05:16 PM
My point is those races aren't suppose to see far at night, that's the way the game was designed. Obviously you could be a nerd and cheese your gamma but most people just didn't

iruinedyourday
09-30-2014, 05:29 PM
I would have liked the NPC's to change dialgue more often basd on faction. Like if you got the farmers in the Karanas to be max faction by killing bandits, they would say, "IT IS OUR HERO, DAVEIL! the killer of bandits, please have some corn!" and they would like give you food or something.

Little things like that to make me feel like NPC's in the world were more fun to interact with, not even quests! Just little things. :)

More bard mail type quests where NPC's would learn my name, so when I ran through quenos they would shout at ME just by proximity, "oh hey its Daveil! look the great Daveil! Hey Daveil!"

(my characters name is Daveil if you couldnt figure that out.)

rollin5k
09-30-2014, 05:29 PM
And it looked like crap when you cheesed the gamma. You still couldn't see anywhere near as good or far as here

stifling
09-30-2014, 05:30 PM
so most of you are not getting this apparently. Thanks to those who are adding their insights.

Once again, what should-have been a part of the classic game as far as game mechanics to make it more enjoyable, logical(maybe), engaging, exciting?

Yes, I know that agi never affected runspeed, what I am saying is that it should have always done this I feel.

Why was Str the stat that affected accuracy? it should be damage only and dex should affect accuracy. Is it just me or are min-maxing nubs avoiding most stats because they dont matter as much as they could?

Crawdad
09-30-2014, 05:50 PM

H

This is probably my biggest wish for the server. The atmosphere is just not the same without the fear of the dark, especially for humans.

baalzy
09-30-2014, 05:58 PM
To the people who are debating about human night vision (or lack there of) i think the issue is that light sources provide too much light. My ranger on red is human and is actually very blind while naked, to the point that it's difficult to navigate a tunneled area (such as the kithicor entrance to rivervale), but one of the pieces of equipment she wears (haven't paid enough attention to which one does it) acts as a lightsource that essentially gives me night vision because it illuminates a huge area of my screen. IIRC, most light sources (like a torch or lantern) should give a small field of vision to humans so they could navigate a tunnel but still made it dangerous as they would have trouble seeing a KoS mob before it came into range at night.

Hobie819
09-30-2014, 06:16 PM
Really, one really only needs to look at pen and paper RPGs to discover what would be awesome things to add to EQ in a perfect world:

Tradeskills: as mentioned, they should be much more useful. In traditional pen and paper RPGs, almost everything up until the end of the game is purchased at shops from merchants. Rules are in the game to make just about anything. Think about it - everything in the game (except for those items that are biological in nature) were created by someone, sometime and then became named and a part of lore afterwards. In a perfect EQ world, rules should exist and I should be able to make "Hobiewan's dragon slaying staff". It could either be a traditional great staff that, due to some heroic deed while fighting an evil dragon was imbued with magical dragon slaying properties by Karana himself, or it could just be something I made due to the knowledge I had of fighting dragons. Kill 4 dragons and you now get the ability to imbue items with dragon slaying properties due to your knowledge of dragon slaying.

Loot: Killing a sabertooth tiger should always provide the adventurer with chunks of meat, sabertooth hides, etc... Killing a griffin should provide the adventurer with 100's of feathers, not a rare chance at 1. Killing Quillmane should not provide a Pegasus cloak - it should provide Pegasus feathers that a very skilled tradeskiller can then make into a cloak.

Quests: Really - what sane person wants billions of gnoll fangs? How many times can an epic quest giver really ask for Venril Sathir to die? In a perfect EQ world, quests would be given at random and would be given more from players than from NPCs - we outnumber NPC's anyway. In a perfect world, players could award experience based on those quests. In a perfect world, EQ would have a player based quest builder where the player would select from a number of options to build their quest and then the program would calculate the variables based on the quest scenarios and decide an appropriate amount of experience to award. If NPC's can ask for 4 rat ears and award experience and gold for it, why can't players ask for 20 bonechips and reward players with experience?

Property: Adventurers need places to store their loot. Storefronts, guild houses, houses themselves - houses and guild halls were even promised when EQ was out at the beginning but was late redacted as the developers realized how impossible it would be. It would be nice to have something that represented me. It would also allow cities to grow and be more lively. Of course to buy property, you would need to have money and political influence which opens the world up to more quests to where faction would mean more.

Fame: For those in the top guilds, how many times have you killed Cazic Thule, Lady Vox, etc...? How many times have you, in storyline, saved the world? How often have villagers rewarded you for your deeds? In a perfect EQ world, faction would mean much more then it does now.

meaningful encounters: The first time you take down an enemy, it is meaningful. you get that rush of "wow, that was cool - we did it!" The 50th time - not so much. In a perfect EQ world, named major bad guys would only ever exist once. That would make for a lame MMORPG though, and really is only a carryover from pan and paper RPG where it is much more feasible. In a pen and paper RPG, there are only supposed to be a very few high level characters that can even take down a major bad guy.

Changeable Words: The world would change based on things happening in the game lore. How is crushbone still populated? Their emporer has been slain over and over again. Elf guards 3 times the power of the emperor literally sit 5 minutes away.

Most of the above scenarios just aren't feasible being a MMORPG and I realize that. But to make roleplay mean more many of these things would need to be implemented to feel meaningful about what is done in game. There are hundreds of other options to mention as well, but really - they can't be implemented given the nature of the game so I'll hold my post to those mentioned above.

rollin5k
09-30-2014, 06:23 PM
nah baalzy light sources seem right, but a humans should need them to see, like to see at all and walk around

harnold
09-30-2014, 08:08 PM
light sources are right but the problem is it is all negated with the gamma slider

iruinedyourday
09-30-2014, 08:18 PM
This thread is having an identity crisis.

NegaStoat
09-30-2014, 08:18 PM
If we're making some sort of list about this stuff, Stamina should be at the top. That's all I know.

iruinedyourday
09-30-2014, 08:23 PM
I still think the npc's in karanas should be more thankful for my sheriffing of the bandits out there.

Kich867
09-30-2014, 08:51 PM
If I were to redo classic, this would be the list of changes I'd make:

Game Mechanics:
- Alter threat to take into account damage done, not just swings
- Taunt displays a message letting you know that it has no effect on monsters already aggro'd on you.
- Remove experience penalties
- Reduce strength of many monsters outside of indoor dungeons to allow more classes to solo. While still a less optimal approach, at least give more classes the option.

Classes:
Warrior:
- Warriors gain a "Threaten" skill capping at 210, causing a flat amount of aggro that scales with skill, level, and maybe some sort of cute modifier like charisma. 8 second cooldown
- Warriors gain a "Cleave" skill capping at 210, attacking with all weapons (DW / 2h) against all monsters within 180 degrees in front of them. Higher skill improves chance to hit. 10 second cooldown

Ranger:
- Rangers bow damage modified to behave and scale similarly to 2 handers (damage calculated the same, weapon damage bonus the same). Bows would not receive double attack, but would deal double damage to non-moving targets starting at level 1 instead of 51, creating a unique flavor to Ranger bow DPS: individual very large hits.
- Ranger Epic receives similar treatment to warrior epic, able to be turned back and forth between bow and swords.
- Trueshot Discipline duration reduced to 15 seconds, timer reduced to 30 minutes.
- Drop "Agility" as a bonus stat and replace it with "Dexterity".
- Rangers can train in either Specialize Melee or Specialize Archery, improving their chance to dual wield / double attack VS improving their chance to hit and crit with bows.

Paladin:
- Paladins gain a "Block" passive skill, reducing damage of a physical attack between 25-100% (based on a roll influenced by Block skill).
- Paladins can "Block" with their epic weapon.

Shadow Knight:
- Shadow Knights gain a "Block" passive skill, reducing damage of a physical attack between 25-100% (based on a roll influenced by Block skill).
- Shadow Knights can "Block" with their epic weapon.

Monk:
- At level 10, Monk's gain a "Sprint" passive skill that caps at 200. This skill naturally increases their run speed by 0.1% per skill point. This skill stacks with other movement speed increasing effects. This skill is raised by movement.
- At level 30, Monk's gain a "Deftness" passive skill that caps at 200. This skill naturally increases their attack speed by 0.05% per skill point. This skill stacks with other haste effects.

Rogue:
- Added enchanted poison vial recipes: at every trivial skill level for every rogue poison there is a new recipe to create an enchanted poison of that type. This applies a permanent coating to a blade, able to be overwritten by stronger poisons. (1 ppm) Unequipping or trading the weapon removes this proc.

Bard:
- Song power is now also positively affected by Charisma.

Wizard:
- Wizards gain the "Empowered Spell" skill at level 40, causing their next damage dealing spell to deal additional damage. Usable once per minute.

Cleric:
- Remove the "Complete Heal" spell.

All Casters:
- Intelligence scales spell damage for INT casters
- Wisdom scales spell damage for WIS casters
(Both pending a calculation as to how to apply that, but it would be a somewhat linear % based increase)

Tradeskills:
Blacksmithing:
- Improve cultural smithing gear for all races.
- Introduce more and better cultural smithing weapons for all races, to match the higher-end smithing gear.

Tailoring:
- Introduce cultural Tailoring for High Elves and Erudites.
- This gear will be focused on casters.
- Improve cultural tailoring (leather armor) from Wood Elves.
- Adding another set of Quiver recipes for each Quiver, at a higher trivial point. These are Enchanted quivers that will not consume arrows fired from them.

Fletching:
- Add cultural fletching to Wood Elves

The aim would be:
- bring SK's / Paladin's up to the tanking status of Warriors without having them share the HP/AC pool.
- Solidify Rangers as either a melee or ranged DPS class--whichever you prefer. While less damage than Rogues or Monks, close enough that it's not an issue.
- Make casters more interesting by providing higher damage/healing via their primary stats.
- Borrow from the DnD roots a little with some of the classes.
- Make warriors better at snap aggro / AOE aggro.
- Add a little flavor to rogues, monks, and wizards.
- Make tradeskills more interesting.
- Wiggle Endless Quiver into the game before AA's.

justin2090
09-30-2014, 09:18 PM
I would make all monk secondary attacks do something special so that they can define their role in the group. For example Flying Kick would do its normal damage + threat reduction for dps and Dragon Punch would do its normal damage + AC/Agi bonus for tanking.

Bboboo
09-30-2014, 09:22 PM
I demand more server lag as well as longer zone loading times!!

kaev
09-30-2014, 09:46 PM
I demand more server lag as well as longer zone loading times!!

Lag with high pop yes, but long loading times are :notclassic:

Don't recall any long zone loading until the evil of the luclin client and dx9. Original was very quick, kunark still was pretty quick, velious not quite so quick what with the new textures, but luclin is when it got outright slow.

Bboboo
09-30-2014, 09:57 PM
I remember zones taking long enough for the OOT boat to say fuck it and take off. This was pre Luclin too.

Thiefboy777
10-01-2014, 12:02 AM
Diety specific abilities, one passive one activated that scale to level...and of course some for agnostic too.

Brut
10-01-2014, 05:55 AM
When you remain FD long enough, there ought to be like a message that NPCs forgot about you and you don't have to /quit out of the game and relog every time you want a pather to forget you. Which is really dumb. Imagine if you got hit by a goomba in super mario bros and you had to go turn your console & tv off and on, wait a minute, then continue from where you took the hit at.

Oh and Anon/role should've been removed entirely. Dumb additions to game, it's a social game learn to get asked for buffs, rezzes, ports and assistance. Stop hiding.

Thought that way until I got a couple tells asking my druid alt to run and port some random lvl3 from Field of Bone to West Commons and bind them at Freeport. Wut.

kaev
10-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Thought that way until I got a couple tells asking my druid alt to run and port some random lvl3 from Field of Bone to West Commons and bind them at Freeport. Wut.

A hotkey with the macro "/r sorry, not for hire" takes care of that. Added bonus is the occasional angry "well you just missed out on a 200pp tip" bullshit QQ reply.

Arkaan
10-01-2014, 12:28 PM
I don't understand. Why go through the trouble of creating a replica of original classic EQ only to then turn around and start changing it?

Go ahead, change the game. Ruining it would be classic after all.

kotton05
10-01-2014, 12:37 PM
A hotkey with the macro "/r sorry, not for hire" takes care of that. Added bonus is the occasional angry "well you just missed out on a 200pp tip" bullshit QQ reply.

I usually start off the tell with "are you port for hire"? Usually if they quick I double the tip too:)

I think they should of itemized permafrost abit like nags lair

iruinedyourday
10-01-2014, 12:53 PM
I think they should of itemized permafrost abit like nags lair

Oh yea this! I wish perma was a comparable zone to lguk. I always wondered what norrath would be like if perma was an end game loot zone too!

Daldaen
10-01-2014, 01:04 PM

/r sorry, busy

Fixes that easy. Though sometimes I fill that sort of request, mainly cause Firepot bound.

Really irks when someone who is Anon on every toon they play, requests me to rez or port them. Why would I want to help you if you purposefully /Anon or /role to avoid those exact types of requests.

forensic
10-01-2014, 01:22 PM
If you want to talk about creating an entirely new MMO, then it wouldn't be EverQuest anymore, and there are infinite ways to go with that.

I think it's more interesting to make very small tweaks that would make the game feel more classic.

So here's what I would do--not to make the game technically classic, but to make it feel more classic for everyone, and to bring out the best parts of classic:

* Make the world darker, as mentioned by several people

* Ban PLing from people 10+ levels higher. Make powerleveling against the PnP and implement countermeasures to stop people 10+ levels higher from buffing/healing/PLing/killing-for-and-blurring. There would be many ways to do this but just keep making changes until powerleveling by people 10+ levels higher is pretty much non existent. Allow powerleveling by similar level players though--so a druid 9 levels higher can still PL you. There will still be a market for PLing it just won't be as game breaking.

* Ban twinking. Don't let people use stuff that dropped off mobs 10+ levels higher. Crafted items could be the exception.

* Change the nature of currency in the game:

Let players create promisory notes to each other that are authoritated as coming from the player--that is to say each player can add their authoritative "signature" proving that they wrote a particular note. The notes can be traded and kept in special wallet bags that will hold dozens of notes each. Additional bank slots for holding notes will be provided to each character. The notes themselves will weigh 0.1 each.

The addition of player-backed paper money allows making flexible and player enforced contracts. The contracts could be shown to anyone. Reputations could be created and lost.

For coin, keep the same platinum/gold/silver/copper, but make it so there is a fixed amount of platinum pieces, gold pieces, etc in the game. This amount can circulate among vendors and players and banks. Deflation, while bad for real economies, will make the game more immersive as people will actually use gold/silver/copper. To offset deflation, the paper money currencies are available and will be used more and more as time goes on, as likely all the coin will be concentrated in a few hands, who will then use paper money to invest.

It won't create a utopian economy where everyone has abundance and money flows freely. It will create a struggling economy, but one where everyone is in it together, that will increase immersion and make for a general sense of both opportunity and threat.

The promisory notes will intensify the social elements of the game and make trading way more common. Being able to trade or not trade with NPC vendors will become more interesting and meaningful.

Raev
10-01-2014, 01:30 PM

H

ooooooo

Also Daldaen I think the biggest problem with EQ is the random resist system. For example if the myconid spore king were changed from 70% chance to resist slow to 'all slows land, but they are only 30% as effective' I think things would be far more balanced. Enchanters have the same problem with mez: you can mez a L55 monster with a L4 spell.

PCs have the same problem: you can get randomly fucked by nukes even with high resistance; I'd rather see 100 CR = all ice comets hit for 800, 180 CR = all ice comets hit for 200, etc.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
10-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Station cash or gtfo

Daldaen
10-01-2014, 02:42 PM
Random resists yes and no.

A green mob full resisting a spell is dumb. So is getting hit for full at 255 resist.

I'd prefer for a happy medium. Having a fixed value-resist ratio would be too calculated and boring. Useful if you were trying to make a decent PVP game. But no one cares about PvP.

Instead if over 200 resist you can take a 0-50% hit, if over 100 you take a 25-75% hit, etc.

Daldaen
10-01-2014, 02:51 PM
Oh and get rid of the base chance to fail things that you've mastered.

Gates shouldn't collapse at max level.
Trivial subcombines shouldn't fail at max tradeskill
Green cons shouldn't resist spells

Arkaan
10-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Implement another currency, "P99 Bucks", which are bought with RMT and can be spent on gaining levels, plat, items, bots, godmode, and a you-win button. Judging by the current state of gaming I think this would be quite popular.

Too bad they didn't have this stuff back in my day. I would have loved putting $10 worth of quarters into an arcade to instantly see the ending FMV and credits. Oh, and a number one spot on the high scores table. All of my friends would have done the same as well.

EDIT: Oh yea, make a button on screen available for purchasing P99 Bucks. The button should take up at least 15% of the visible area. May as well throw in ads in game as well, unless of course you make a purchase each month.

harnold
10-01-2014, 03:13 PM
-add boxing
-add porters
-add crazy regen items to make you invincible
-add bot npcs you can hire
-give all classes instant teleport item
-pay platinum or donate to make your equipment look like any other piece of equipment
-instant level 60, no exp loss
-instanced version of all zones available
-all classes can solo with ease
-boost regen of hp and mana
-auto refilling hp and mana potions available for server donation

harnold
10-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Implement another currency, "P99 Bucks", which are bought with RMT and can be spent on gaining levels, plat, items, bots, godmode, and a you-win button. Judging by the current state of gaming I think this would be quite popular.

Too bad they didn't have this stuff back in my day. I would have loved putting $10 worth of quarters into an arcade to instantly see the ending FMV and credits. Oh, and a number one spot on the high scores table. All of my friends would have done the same as well.

EDIT: Oh yea, make a button on screen available for purchasing P99 Bucks. The button should take up at least 15% of the visible area. May as well throw in ads in game as well, unless of course you make a purchase each month.

this is a great idea i wish i thought of it

Arkaan
10-01-2014, 03:21 PM
this is a great idea i wish i thought of it

IKR? But you know, all of these pixels really aren't event necessary. If the point is going to be whoever pays the most money wins, why not just a simple website stating who the winner is. No need for the game at all, since it would just be a side point.

khanable
10-01-2014, 03:49 PM
have a "lottery" where 100 level 60's get deleted randomly each month (too top heavy)

allow a max of two accounts per person

minimum of 1 minute zone times (artificial)

force classic UI, force full screen, disable alt+tab

detect voice chat software and not let you log in if it is running

>25 mobs aggro'd on you forces you to go linkdead and get raped by said mobs

Whirled
10-01-2014, 03:50 PM
have a "lottery" where 100 level 60's get deleted randomly each month (too top heavy)

^this & shared bank slots too :D

Arkaan
10-01-2014, 04:30 PM

This reminded me of an idea..

I have written down many idea for an MMO over the years.

Nested end game:

The term "end game" would mean the maximum content, items, level or skill before certain levels of increased consequences and rewards are introduced.

A basic example would be once you reach level 60, the really important end game mobs would continue to grant XP and possibly more levels, but being killed by one of these guys would mean you would lose those levels or in extreme levels, permadeath.

Basically anyone who is level 100 would have had to survive many many difficult encounters without being killed once. Clearly, there would not be very many of them.

On the other hand, reaching 1 level past end game and being killed would revert you to the end game cap.

forensic
10-01-2014, 04:31 PM

>25 mobs aggro'd on you forces you to go linkdead and get raped by said mobs

These changes would synergize well with my suggested changes. Voting you for president.

forensic
10-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Instead of a lottery where level 60s get deleted, though, implement a more sophisticated perma death mechanic.

Each race ages at a different pace. The aging happens according to in-game time. Humans die at 75 years old, just like all their other stats. Every race starts according to how old their faces look. Gnome males start at age 60, but live until 100. Humans start at age 25 and live to 75.

Trolls and Iksars die sooner due to their regeneration causing more rapid atrophy of their cells. Trolls age from 30 to 65, and Iksars from 12 to 42.

Clerics live 25% longer by the grace of their Gods.

Level 60 Necromancers who permadie turn undead and become permanent skeletons, capable of being charmed by other necromancers and used as pets. Their toying with death means their lifespan is 25% shorter than average.

Everytime you die it takes 1 week off the end of your life. Everytime you get a rez it takes another week off.

Captun
10-01-2014, 05:15 PM

To classes, sure. To races, no. If you choose to play a race that has extra stats/traits you should have that penalty exist as a way to make you earn these things. Troll/Iksar regen is very useful and most people would roll one (taking the armor limits aside) and never bother rolling something else if they earned XP at the same rate. EQ has the elements to it that sure, some classes have advantages to certaim races, though they take longer to level.

I could roll an Iksar Necro for the regen to help with Lich, but Iksars would take longer to level.

iruinedyourday
10-01-2014, 05:21 PM
I could roll an Iksar Necro for the regen to help with Lich, but Iksars would take longer to level.

The fact that they look stupid should detur you enough tho.

August
10-01-2014, 05:25 PM
If I were to redo classic, this would be the list of changes I'd make:

Game Mechanics:
- Alter threat to take into account damage done, not just swings
- Taunt displays a message letting you know that it has no effect on monsters already aggro'd on you.
- Reduce strength of many monsters outside of indoor dungeons to allow more classes to solo. While still a less optimal approach, at least give more classes the option.

Classes:
Warrior:
- Warriors gain a "Threaten" skill capping at 210, causing a flat amount of aggro that scales with skill, level, and maybe some sort of cute modifier like charisma. 8 second cooldown
- Warriors gain a "Cleave" skill capping at 210, attacking with all weapons (DW / 2h) against all monsters within 180 degrees in front of them. Higher skill improves chance to hit. 10 second cooldown

Ranger:
- Rangers bow damage modified to behave and scale similarly to 2 handers (damage calculated the same, weapon damage bonus the same). Bows would not receive double attack, but would deal double damage to non-moving targets starting at level 1 instead of 51, creating a unique flavor to Ranger bow DPS: individual very large hits.
- Ranger Epic receives similar treatment to warrior epic, able to be turned back and forth between bow and swords.
- Trueshot Discipline duration reduced to 15 seconds, timer reduced to 30 minutes.
- Drop "Agility" as a bonus stat and replace it with "Dexterity".
- Rangers can train in either Specialize Melee or Specialize Archery, improving their chance to dual wield / double attack VS improving their chance to hit and crit with bows.

Paladin:
- Paladins gain a "Block" passive skill, reducing damage of a physical attack between 25-100% (based on a roll influenced by Block skill).
- Paladins can "Block" with their epic weapon.

Shadow Knight:
- Shadow Knights gain a "Block" passive skill, reducing damage of a physical attack between 25-100% (based on a roll influenced by Block skill).
- Shadow Knights can "Block" with their epic weapon.

Monk:
- At level 10, Monk's gain a "Sprint" passive skill that caps at 200. This skill naturally increases their run speed by 0.1% per skill point. This skill stacks with other movement speed increasing effects. This skill is raised by movement.
- At level 30, Monk's gain a "Deftness" passive skill that caps at 200. This skill naturally increases their attack speed by 0.05% per skill point. This skill stacks with other haste effects.

Rogue:
- Added enchanted poison vial recipes: at every trivial skill level for every rogue poison there is a new recipe to create an enchanted poison of that type. This applies a permanent coating to a blade, able to be overwritten by stronger poisons. (1 ppm) Unequipping or trading the weapon removes this proc.

Bard:
- Song power is now also positively affected by Charisma.

Wizard:
- Wizards gain the "Empowered Spell" skill at level 40, causing their next damage dealing spell to deal additional damage. Usable once per minute.

Cleric:
- Remove the "Complete Heal" spell.

All Casters:
- Intelligence scales spell damage for INT casters
- Wisdom scales spell damage for WIS casters
(Both pending a calculation as to how to apply that, but it would be a somewhat linear % based increase)

Tradeskills:
Blacksmithing:
- Improve cultural smithing gear for all races.
- Introduce more and better cultural smithing weapons for all races, to match the higher-end smithing gear.

Tailoring:
- Introduce cultural Tailoring for High Elves and Erudites.
- This gear will be focused on casters.
- Improve cultural tailoring (leather armor) from Wood Elves.
- Adding another set of Quiver recipes for each Quiver, at a higher trivial point. These are Enchanted quivers that will not consume arrows fired from them.

Fletching:
- Add cultural fletching to Wood Elves

The aim would be:
- bring SK's / Paladin's up to the tanking status of Warriors without having them share the HP/AC pool.
- Solidify Rangers as either a melee or ranged DPS class--whichever you prefer. While less damage than Rogues or Monks, close enough that it's not an issue.
- Make casters more interesting by providing higher damage/healing via their primary stats.
- Borrow from the DnD roots a little with some of the classes.
- Make warriors better at snap aggro / AOE aggro.
- Add a little flavor to rogues, monks, and wizards.
- Make tradeskills more interesting.
- Wiggle Endless Quiver into the game before AA's.

Best post of this thread.

toolshed
10-01-2014, 05:26 PM
The fact that they look stupid should detur you enough tho.

how

dare

you

/duel

khanable
10-01-2014, 06:40 PM
the question was what changes could make the server feel more classic

not if you were an asshole jerk and wanted to make your own asshole jerk server what asshole jerk shit would you do to it to make it non classic and shitty

jeez

Hobie819
10-01-2014, 09:34 PM
the question was what changes could make the server feel more classic

not if you were an asshole jerk and wanted to make your own asshole jerk server what asshole jerk shit would you do to it to make it non classic and shitty

jeez

That wasn't there question actually.... The first post is below. I don't agree with some suggestions, but ultimately they all fall into the realm of the initial post.

Original post:
Just thought that a discussion of what core game mechanics alterations could be made to make the game more fun / compelling / more role-play friendly...

Ill start with:

Ennewi
10-01-2014, 09:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaA3YZ6QdJU

khanable
10-01-2014, 11:55 PM
That wasn't there question actually.... The first post is below. I don't agree with some suggestions, but ultimately they all fall into the realm of the initial post.

Original post:

Ill start with:

I should stop drinking

No clue where I got mixed up

Grimjaw
10-02-2014, 12:40 AM
classic eq should be a lot more sandboxy and player-driven. like eve where theres player own cities. infact there should be player crafted cities. stone resources to build these cities would need to be caravand across the world. these caravans need to be protected or else thieves or bandits could steal from or hijack them. a guild could live just off protecting peoples caravans for profit. loot would still exist but anything in game could also be crafted and every resource can be traded. there would be a contract system like deliver my caravan here or "buy all my junk from this city". just like archeage the sea would be a content within itself with boats ranging from all sizes but unlike archage when your boats gone, its gone. boats also act as caravans. cities can be built up block by block, and destroyed block by block in a variety of manner including siege weapons. the best defended bases would require siege. casting and melee on flying mounts, carpets, etc.

stifling
10-06-2014, 01:29 PM
The idea of the thread is just to see what mechanics changes people have always thought would add to the game.
Such as has been added by many actually reading the OP and thinking about it. Thanks to many of you